• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quentin Tarantino Sued Over ‘Django Unchained’ Alleged Copyright Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faddy

Banned
Well, the creator of The Clonus Horror sued over The Island. I don't think they borrowed any lines, but the plot similarity was enough that they settled the case for 7 figures.

But they actually made the movie. So they have copyright on all the filmed scenes of The Clonus Horror. As well as the script.

The most compeling aspects of the case were the similar cinematography in both movies.

Also there was an out of court settlement for seven figures. i.e. low million dollars which isn't very much especially compared to the legal fees and risk of a court ruling against them.

Slayven

But they actually made the movie. So they have copyright on all the filmed scenes of The Clonus Horror. As well as the script.

The most compeling aspects of the case were the similar cinematography in both movies.

Also there was an out of court settlement for seven figures. i.e. low million dollars which isn't very much especially compared to the legal fees and risk of a court ruling against them

AKA go away money

Sometimes it is easier just to cut a check and be done with it

massoluk

Banned
I don't know that "Returning to the hellish realm of the South to purchase the freedom of his loved one(s) with the assistance of a Caucasian in the South" sounds all that "uniquely original" to me.

Yup. They'd better got more cases than these.

You can't copyright an idea. Unless they provide a script that has several direct lines used by Tarantino there is no way they will win in court.

Actually you can. That's precisely why copyright law exists. It protects an individual's ideas.

?

I don't see where I suggested Tarantino won't "survive". Being a successful director doesn't make him incapable of experiencing stress.

The man is stressed out as fuck 24/7/365. He'll be OK. There are plenty other things for him to get stressed about.

Also, was Freedom the song playing during the first big shootout in Django?

Copyright doesn't protect ideas. Copyright protects execution.

I don't think we agree on what a creative idea is then. In this lawsuit the idea is a written and published script. That's a creative work. It's his original idea and it being in a tangible form grants it copyright protection.

Ricitor

Aaron McGruder has more of a case with Catcher Freeman.
People gonna hustle where they can I suppose but I doubt this will go far, if anywhere at all.

Faddy

Banned
I don't think we agree on what a creative idea is then. In this lawsuit the idea is a written and published script. That's a creative work. It's his original idea and it being in a tangible form grants it copyright protection.

But Copyright only protects the words that are written in the script. They do not give protection to the overall idea.

If the story was so original and not derivative of any other story the proper IP protection would be a patent. But good luck coming up with a story that could meet those onerous demands.

Similarities have to extend beyond some plot/world building ideas. Shared lines of dialogue that go beyond common ideas, extensive shared camera shots without a different context of meaning . . . there are only so many stories to tell. The key to avoiding breaking copyright is making sure the details (dialogue, camera work etc.) are different.
But Copyright only protects the words that are written in the script. They do not give protection to the overall idea.

If the story was so original and not derivative of any other story the proper IP protection would be a patent. But good luck coming up with a story that could meet those onerous demands.

You explained it much better that I did. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom