• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R*'s PATHETIC port job: Bully 360 freezing (among other glitches) [PATCH NOW OUT]

Since the game froze on me the first time I loaded it, it hasn't frozen again. I've played extensively on my console at home and one at work without any issues.

I have now played the game for 11 hours (mostly pissing about...I've only done 18% of the game so far), haven't had a single freeze and even the carnival last night had a silky smooth frame rate with no stuttering or slow down.

I think it is apparent that I have somehow gotten hold of the One True Xbox that is immune to such frippery. My friends (3 now have the game) are still having freezes all over the shop and slowdown everywhere, one took the game back because he was so annoyed with it. And yet my game marches ever onward.

What I'm saying is it's probably going to Red Ring the second GTA4 hits the shelves. I'm going to keep £150 nestled snugly in my account in case.

cultofweaver said:
I have now played the game for 11 hours (mostly pissing about...I've only done 18% of the game so far), haven't had a single freeze and even the carnival last night had a silky smooth frame rate with no stuttering or slow down.

I think it is apparent that I have somehow gotten hold of the One True Xbox that is immune to such frippery.

When I was at your point in the game, I still had no freezes as well.

homez99

Mr Spliff said:
Anyone? I've held off playing this game due to the impending patch but now I'm starting to regret my purchase :-(.

None yet, at least not on the PAL version. (Just booted it up to check)

Oni Jazar

Just finished chapter one and I have a question: Does the music get better? It's been crap so far which is surprising considering other R* games like GTA & The Warriors.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This was posted from http://www.rockstarwatch.net/news/ :

"I just spoke to a Rockstar rep who has confirmed to me that the problems people have been having with Bully: Scholarship Edition have been identified and the work on the patch is finished. It's up to Microsoft now to approve the patch for mass download. Hopefully, Microsoft will approve it very soon. Keep checking RockstarWatch as we are constantly checking for the patch's release."

Waiting in cert, of course. Seeing how Microsoft cert let this chronically buggy mess out the door in the first place, they should be making this a top priority, right?

right?

Costanza

Banned
FlyinJ said:
This was posted from http://www.rockstarwatch.net/news/ :

"I just spoke to a Rockstar rep who has confirmed to me that the problems people have been having with Bully: Scholarship Edition have been identified and the work on the patch is finished. It's up to Microsoft now to approve the patch for mass download. Hopefully, Microsoft will approve it very soon. Keep checking RockstarWatch as we are constantly checking for the patch's release."

Waiting in cert, of course. Seeing how Microsoft cert let this chronically buggy mess out the door in the first place, they should be making this a top priority, right?

right?
Doubt it.

Oni Jazar said:
Just finished chapter one and I have a question: Does the music get better? It's been crap so far which is surprising considering other R* games like GTA & The Warriors.

Yes, it's the most mindnumbing piece of looping shite I've ever exposed my ears to.
I ended up unwittingly going "dur duh dur duh" in work and someone asked if I had been playing Bully. Was quite funny at the time...

Fowler

Or maybe Microsoft, knowing they let Bully through without properly checking it last time, is double and triple checking things this time?

Either way, we lose.

KarishBHR

Wow... so I have yet to see some of the freezing problems people are having, but it is only because I am having a separate problem:

On one of the first missions, "The set-up" my game glitches terribly. It tells me the kid is getting away while I'm holding him! Then I fail the mission a few seconds later... WTF?

Costanza

Banned
KarishBHR said:
Wow... so I have yet to see some of the freezing problems people are having, but it is only because I am having a separate problem:

On one of the first missions, "The set-up" my game glitches terribly. It tells me the kid is getting away while I'm holding him! Then I fail the mission a few seconds later... WTF?
That's pretty weird... did you try rebooting?

This thread title will be changed when the patch comes out right? I'm thinking about picking up this game but I would like to know it will play first.

I started playing the game a day ago. Got my first freeze in Chapter 2.

On the actual game: I absolutely love it! It is a nice break from Lost Odyssey and CoD4. My favorite part is just jacking around and beating the crap out of people.

If anyone is iffy on this game, I would suggest a purchase. Plus, it is only 49.99 and at GS there is a 10% off coupon. Totally worth it!

FraGNeM

I feel like I'm in the minority here (thanks, internet!), but I actually haven't had any freezing problems like those mentioned by numerous others here.

I've completed 20% of the game, so based upon reports, I should've noticed them by now.

MC Safety

Hm. Purely anecdotal, but I've played through 37 percent of the game and experienced no freezing and no other glitches.

There's such an air of malicious fanboyism on gaming age, so much so that I wonder how truthful posters are being on these complaint threads. It seems totally foreign to me that people would either exaggerate or outright lie about a game's problems because of some irrational hatred of a console (or its manufacturer) but I guess all is fair in the console war.

Walshicus

MC Safety said:
Hm. Purely anecdotal, but I've played through 37 percent of the game and experienced no freezing and no other glitches.

There's such an air of malicious fanboyism on gaming age, so much so that I wonder how truthful posters are being on these complaint threads. It seems totally foreign to me that people would either exaggerate or outright lie about a game's problems because of some irrational hatred of a console (or its manufacturer) but I guess all is fair in the console war.
I like to think my own personal bias or 'fanboyism' is benign and subdued rather than malicious, but perhaps it will help to clarify matters if I tell you that it froze on me.

Costanza

Banned
MC Safety said:

:lol Rockstar acknowledged that the game has problems. We're not lying.

MC Safety

Sir Fragula said:
I like to think my own personal bias or 'fanboyism' is benign and subdued rather than malicious, but perhaps it will help to clarify matters if I tell you that it froze on me.

Don't misconstrue; I'm not suggesting everyone who posts on these threads is being disingenuous with his complaints. Nor was I defending Rockstar and doing anything other than raising a question about the nature of this forum.

Games freeze sometimes, even those that have gone through the standard submission protocols. Further, with consoles that are consistently being upgraded and altered via hardware configurations and software updates, it becomes harder and harder to maintain an across-the-board quality control for game titles.

I'm simply wondering about the extent to which these threads are influenced by gaming age's endless console war nonsense.

Costanza. I love the new avatar. The only problem is, I can't stop looking at it.

I hope thatt this doesn't end up like my whole 'ringtone' fiasco. I'd be happy if I never heard "Don't fear the reaper" again. Damn ringtones. They make you hate your favorite songs FASTER.

Costanza

Banned
Scopebob Sniperpants said:
Costanza. I love the new avatar. The only problem is, I can't stop looking at it.

I hope thatt this doesn't end up like my whole 'ringtone' fiasco. I'd be happy if I never heard "Don't fear the reaper" again. Damn ringtones. They make you hate your favorite songs FASTER.
:lol

Had my first freeze today. In Chapter 3, about 24% in. Annoying but certainly not unplayable. I do hope the patch it but I doubt it will happen soon. Probably not an easy bug to fix.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I couldn't be bothered waiting for a patch so I've already got 100% completion on this :lol I had three crashes on the first chapter but then I had no more for the rest of the game which was unexpected (it didn't stop me saving every 10 minutes).

I did have the odd strange glitch with things not appearing when and where they should (eg errands and a certain secret character) but they all seemed to be cured by saving and reloading. I also had to redo one of the lawnmower tasks to get 100% despite having already unlocked that achievement earlier in the game.

Bring on the inevitable crash-proof sequel.

Surfheart

2 freezes for about 18% - not bad at all.

I'm hoping the patch helps the framerate, I hate riding the bike around town with stuff popping up left right and center all at a glorious ten frames per second. Pretty bad for a game that looks like a PS2 game in HD.

Costanza said:
Thanks. Well, the title of that story is now listed as: "6 days ago | Scholarship Edition Fixed, Waiting for Microsoft"

So hopefully the story is true and hopefully we'll see that patch soon. I'm a cynic though.

I wouldn't hold my breath for frame-rate improvements. That engine won't be used in any future games, so they are not gonna spend time optimizing it.

My status: 33% through and I've had 1 freeze. The writing is hilarious. A few audio drop-outs. Fun game, but I wish the port was better.

I haven't heard of any issues with the Wii version but most of the sales have been for the 360 version. I think that really shows a distinction between the Wii & 360 user bases.

Swat

A Hero's Hero!
14 hours in, launch 360, one crash. I guess this is pretty subjective, I was expecting a lot more. I save every opportunity I can, but seeing as you open up a lot of save points in different locations I'm not too put off.

Still, it's been one week guys, pony up with the patch!

StevieP

Banned
speculawyer said:
Thanks. Well, the title of that story is now listed as: "6 days ago | Scholarship Edition Fixed, Waiting for Microsoft"

So hopefully the story is true and hopefully we'll see that patch soon. I'm a cynic though.

I wouldn't hold my breath for frame-rate improvements. That engine won't be used in any future games, so they are not gonna spend time optimizing it.

My status: 33% through and I've had 1 freeze. The writing is hilarious. A few audio drop-outs. Fun game, but I wish the port was better.

I haven't heard of any issues with the Wii version but most of the sales have been for the 360 version. I think that really shows a distinction between the Wii & 360 user bases.

Do you have access to numbers that we don't?

FoxSpirit

speculawyer said:

"Waiting for Microsoft"... oh woe is us. The past 2 times were Rise of Legens and Universe at War, where the patch was stuck for weeks in MS' QA. In Universe at War this happened in beta even! One month delay for a beta patch because MS would put it out!!!

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Well I've done 97% of the game over the past two weeks, its a great game just a shame about the freezes and crap framerate.

Honest of god sometimes the game struggles to hit 15 fps in the town.

Costanza

Banned
Deacan said:
Well I've done 97% of the game over the past two weeks, its a great game just a shame about the freezes and crap framerate.

Honest of god sometimes the game struggles to hit 15 fps in the town.
yeah, the town stuff really sucks cause of that

painey

I beat the game 100% with only one freeze, but I saved after every single mission. A frame rate fix is more needed than a stability patch imo.

Top Bottom