• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R*'s PATHETIC port job: Bully 360 freezing (among other glitches) [PATCH NOW OUT]

Rhindle

This may be a case of the game needing to "settle" on the system by building a cache over time. There were a few original Xbox games that behaved that way, e.g. the original Ninja Gaiden.

That might explain why people seem to be experiencing less problems after playing for a while.

raYne

Fantasmo said:
Not quite the one I mentioned where you hold the 'A' button whilst loading the game.
Worked for Oblivion. Might be worth a try.
Well, the "Hold A boot" doesn't work with every game. So unless you own Oblivion or another game that does, it's fairly useless.

The dashboard cache clear is also a "full" clear method, while the A boot only does the last few. I'd guess that doing a full clear would be a better attempt at a solution.

Not sure if this helps, but apparently it keeps the last 3 games cached on the hdd, so if you put in 3 games other than the last few you've played it will clear that way. My friend was having issues with Lost Odyssey and he tried that and it fixed it. I havent had a chance to get back to bully yet, but might give this a try if I keep having problems.

I been pretty vocal about a stuttering framerate in Halo 3 and I wonder if this quote from Rockstar about Bully could be a reason for what I see why many others claim there are no such problems. 'It appears that some older 360s are experiencing framerate issues, freezes and other problems'.

Sorry for the derail.

Thought the thread would be flooded with PAL version crashes this morning but I doubt it's any different. Think I'll go out and buy it in an hour or so anyway and see how I get on.

El-Suave said:
The Bully segment on Gamespot's "On The Spot" is totally priceless and embarrassing. Hardware problems galore - all we got to see are loading screens. Check it out for comedy value (32 mins into the show)!
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/on-the-spot/
I can't imgagine better advertisement for the game/hardware combo.
"Hardware difficulties" my ass. Grow a spine. It's called "shitty software". If they played the Wii version I guess we could have seen a few environments.

Costanza, any more lock ups yet? I saw on other message boards people saying once they turned off xbox live, they had no more issues. Not sure if thats just a coincidence or not. :p

Costanza

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Costanza, any more lock ups yet? I saw on other message boards people saying once they turned off xbox live, they had no more issues. Not sure if thats just a coincidence or not. :p
Nah, but I haven't played since last night, and I've never played without being signed onto live.

Costanza said:
Nah, but I haven't played since last night, and I've never played without being signed onto live.

Yeah I figured, thats why dont know if that actually does anything or not. The people stated they were having constant freezes and once they did that it all dissapeared, but still it could be a coincidence.

Costanza

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yeah I figured, thats why dont know if that actually does anything or not. The people stated they were having constant freezes and once they did that it all dissapeared, but still it could be a coincidence.
yeah, gotta be a coincidence.

BuddyC

Donwloadable title update within a week, Rockstar has announced.

"We will be releasing a title update through Xbox Live within the next week that we are confident will rectify the problem," noted PR spokesperson Darlan Monterisi.

"We apologize wholeheartedly for the inconvenience that this matter has caused some owners of the game," Monterisi continued. "We are very aware of the problems some people have been experiencing with the Xbox 360 version of Bully: Scholarship Edition and have been doing everything within our powers to resolve these issues as quickly as possible."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51660

Since freezing seems to be completely random, etc, Im wondering if there is some sort of cache harddrive issue or something thats dumping data on the harddrive in some way and causing date to not stream properly or something. I have a feeling we might never know the real reason its caused but as long as the patch fixes it, guess it wont matter.

lol mines sitting here still in it's wrapper. Think I might just leave it there and hopefully play it how it's meant to be played next week :lol

Costanza

Banned
Do you guys think Rockstar would've gotten the patch out anytime soon without GAF/Kotaku/Shacknews's involvement in spreading the word?

I'm thinking that if the reports stayed mostly confined to GameFAQs/Xbox.com it would have been an extremely low priority for them and it would've maybe been patched somewhere down the line. The way we whored the news out would totally hurt sales if they didn't take action soon.

Costanza said:
Do you guys think Rockstar would've gotten the patch out anytime soon without GAF/Kotaku/Shacknews's involvement in spreading the word?

I'm thinking that if the reports stayed mostly confined to GameFAQs/Xbox.com it would have been an extremely low priority for them and it would've maybe been patched somewhere down the line. The way we whored the news out would totally hurt sales if they didn't take action soon.

Its a very good possibilty. Just glad there on it with the quikness, even though I really haven't had any issues myself still :D

VALIS

Costanza said:

I'm glad were on the same page and there's no confusion as far as what was done in this thread. The only difference is you think it was justified to go overboard and scare people into thinking this was a broken product in order to ensure a response. I don't.

Unless you now go around "whoring out" the fact that the game is being patched, but I bet you're not gonna do that, are ya?

Costanza

Banned
VALIS said:
I'm glad were on the same page and there's no confusion as far as what was done in this thread. The only difference is you think it was justified to go overboard and scare people into thinking this was a broken product in order to ensure a response. I don't.

Unless you now go around "whoring out" the fact that the game is being patched, but I bet you're not gonna do that, are ya?
Kotaku and Shacknews both posted it. It'll get out there.

It's not like I can submit the thread to digg again.

Kudos to Rockstar for getting the patch handled so quickly. I honestly believe now that they weren't aware of the problem before shipping.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
VALIS said:

It's simple.

Rockstar released a game that was so buggy it hard locked 360s. People are paying $50 for a game that doesn't work. They want it fixed.

What the hell is with all this "poor developer just trying to get by" bullshit? They fucked up. When you fuck up this bad, there are consequences. And what happened? They fucked up and now they are forced to fix it because of bad press.

What would you rather have us do? "I just payed $50 for this game and it doesn't work. I really need to watch what I say though because a lot of people worked on this and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings! I better make sure that my complaints don't reach a lot of people's ears because the poor developers might feel bad.".

What happened if you and your friends all bought cars whose engines would stop running randomly every few hours. "Oh a lot of people worked on this car and it's really not my place to complain too loudly. Maybe if I sent a nicely written letter to the company and don't tell anyone they'll come out and fix our cars".

No, you wouldn't.

VALIS said:

C'mon, now. You're simply full of crap. A game that freezes randomly and causes you to lose progress is unplayable, and if I would have known beforehand I wouldn't have bought it. Costanza only made this thread after there were multiple reports of freezing, and was doing a favor to other people considering buying this game. The outcome of this was not to create some sensationalist story, but instead to get Rockstar's attention and to get it fixed. And that is exactly what happened. So please stop posting your nonsense.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
MaizeRage25 said:
C'mon, now. You're simply full of crap. A game that freezes randomly and causes you to lose progress is unplayable, and if I would have known beforehand I wouldn't have bought it. Costanza only made this thread after there were multiple reports of freezing, and was doing a favor to other people considering buying this game. The outcome of this was not to create some sensationalist story, but instead to get Rockstar's attention and to get it fixed. And that is exactly what happened. So please stop posting your nonsense.

To further this point, this kind of press is exactly what is needed. More and more, developers are slacking off on console efforts, with the "release now patch later" attitude. This is as far as I've seen them take it, and they deserve all the backlash we can muster.

Lots of other developers and especially publishers are looking at this story and thinking "Shit, we better make sure our game works before we put it on the shelf and have people pay $50-60 for it".

It's the best thing that could have happened for the end users.

VALIS

FlyinJ said:
It's simple.

Rockstar released a game that was so buggy it hard locked 360s. People are paying $50 for a game that doesn't work. They want it fixed.

What the hell is with all this "poor developer just trying to get by" bullshit? They fucked up. When you fuck up this bad, there are consequences. And what happened? They fucked up and now they are forced to fix it because of bad press.

What would you rather have us do? "I just payed $50 for this game and it doesn't work. I really need to watch what I say though because a lot of people worked on this and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings! I better make sure that my complaints don't reach a lot of people's ears because the poor developers might feel bad.".

What happened if you and your friends all bought cars whose engines would stop running randomly every few hours. "Oh a lot of people worked on this car and it's really not my place to complain too loudly. Maybe if I sent a nicely written letter to the company and don't tell anyone they'll come out and fix our cars".

No, you wouldn't.

My whole issue on this is the difference between saying,

"Hey! My product isn't working!"
and
"Hey! This product doesn't work!"

You guys took the latter approach, knowing it would generate a lot more buzz which might translate into a quicker response, but it might not be as accurate. Look at this very thread. You seem to have convinced most of the people here that Bully 360 is broken. Also look at the title of this thread which has been on GAF's page 1 all week. "Pathetic port job." "Freezing, among other glitches." Yet it seems like most of us haven't had a single issue with this game. If you want to be a fair person, it should give you some pause that you represented this game as broken when it isn't for most people.

Watch. Bring up Bully 360 six months from now and I bet you you'll get a lot of "LOLZ broken garbage, never bought it" comments. You tried to destroy people's opinions of this game to get a response to your problems, you achieved this, but now you can't fix the popular opinion.

Costanza

Banned
VALIS said:
when it isn't for most people.
Uh, it's the other way around. Maybe 3 or 4 people chimed in this thread saying they haven't had freezes while EVERYONE ELSE who has the game on GAF has gotten at least one freeze.

Costanza said:
Uh, it's the other way around. Maybe 3 or 4 people chimed in this thread saying they haven't had freezes while EVERYONE ELSE who has the game on GAF has gotten at least one freeze.

I agree on this but I also still stand by the fact that we don't know how many people outside the boards are having this issue. Gaf has tons of people from all over the world no doubt, so this increased the insane ammount of posting on this issue if it occurs for a person who bought Bully and frequents the GAF.

I also will say that I agree the game is not broken, if the game was broken, you wouldn't be able to play it period. End of story. Now maybe for some the freezing was happening so quickly and often that it prevented them from playing the game in no less then ten minute increments, then I'd say, for these users, the game is broken, but for someone that has experienced say 2 lock ups in a span of 8 hours of gaming, this is just some glitchy software and thus not broken but faulty to a point.

My point being though is that there is a definite fine line especially when it comes to the issues at hand with Bully. I see both sides of the argument but really, whats done is done, Rockstar took notice, and things will be taken care of. Anyone that uses the excuse that the game is broken and crap 6 months down the road is just yanking your chain anyways, anyone that truly wants to play Bully without the issues will do so after the patch is released.

Mr Spliff

BuddyC said:
Donwloadable title update within a week, Rockstar has announced.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51660
Cool, this will give me time to finish Lost Odyssey. Is it too early to ask specifically what the patch will address i.e. framerate, freezing, audio, all of the above? I ask cause sometimes games get patched and only a few things are addressed and I'd really like to know if they will do something about the framerate. It is paticularly bad outside of the campus.

BuddyC

cjelly said:
Is it a requirement for 360 games to have a 'hook' to catch auto-updates (patches)?
Yeah. Just part of the SDK / boot process, I believe, but someone more knowledgeable than I can give you the specifics.

I would like to say 'Thank You!' to Costanza and the GAF community for making this issue so well profiled that a fix is being released in such a short time. Cheers!

Top Bottom