• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R*'s PATHETIC port job: Bully 360 freezing (among other glitches) [PATCH NOW OUT]

Costanza

Banned
darkressurection said:
I am gonna pick it up tomorrow with Brawl, I am not too worried about the situation now that there will be a patch coming out.
Yeah it should be ok. I'm playing again now, fun stuff.

So, does the Costanza get a tag?
I guess that's up to the mods...

I decided to splash out anyway and buy it (well since Army of Two was nowhere to be found in this town at all, and I mean not a single copy anywhere, I didn't have much choice as to which to buy) and can report that I've not had a single problem.

Framrate smooth as silk, one occasion of really nasty pop-in, no audio glitches and no lock ups. Played 5 or so hours overall and just turned it off at the very beginning of Chapter Two.

However a friend sent me a message while playing to say that he had two lock ups in 90 minutes, and his status page said he had completed 1% of the game. His 360 is also a new model (bought in 2007, with HDMI) while mine is a launch unit repaired in Autumn 2006.

It really does seem as if it's entirely random whether you'll get it or not and there's no way of knowing beforehand if you'll be affected.

Also, kinda OT but to anyone who has beaten it on PS2, how long is the game? I am getting so sick of beating a game in under 7 hours (Portal is the exception) I heard that if you go for 100% it will take about 30hrs. That about right?

Costanza

Banned
darkressurection said:
Also, kinda OT but to anyone who has beaten it on PS2, how long is the game? I am getting so sick of beating a game in under 7 hours (Portal is the exception) I heard that if you go for 100% it will take about 30hrs. That about right?
I'm at like 20% with 6 hours. Been screwing around alot though.

If this problem is so easily patched how come it wasn't fixed before shipping? I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't patched for awhile. SAINTS ROW. NEVER FORGET.

VALIS said:
You seem to have convinced most of the people here that Bully 360 is broken. Also look at the title of this thread which has been on GAF's page 1 all week. "Pathetic port job." "Freezing, among other glitches."
How is a PS2 to 360 port with major framerate drops not a pathetic port?

Yet it seems like most of us haven't had a single issue with this game. If you want to be a fair person, it should give you some pause that you represented this game as broken when it isn't for most people.
OK, you own thousands of games and you're obviously cool with throwing your money away, but not everyone is. You're really fucking warped if you're more concerned about a mega-buxx publisher and their employees' feelings than your fellow consumers getting burned. Though unfortunately that's not an uncommon thing on GAF. What the hell is wrong with you people.

Costanza

Banned
actually, 19.57% with 6:26 on the clock. I can see this definitely hitting 30 hours. SOOO GOOD when it's not freezing.

Costanza

Banned
Rummy Bunnz said:
If this problem is so easily patched how come it wasn't fixed before shipping? I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't patched for awhile. SAINTS ROW. NEVER
Um, R* said they'll be patching it within a week.

Sylar

Banned
For one, it wasn't a straight port. Mad Doc had to create a whole new engine for the game. that's why the freezes occur.

Costanza

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
I'm almost at the same point in the game (6 hours in and 20%) and it just became Christmas in-game.
Same.. only a few missions ahead of that. Really surprised to have not gotten another freeze.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Good news about the quick patch. It would nice if they sorted out some of the framerate issues while they were at it but no freezes is good enough I suppose. I'll start the game whenever the patch comes out.

Costanza

Banned
Willy Wanka said:
Good news about the quick patch. It would nice if they sorted out some of the framerate issues while they were at it but no freezes is good enough I suppose. I'll start the game whenever the patch comes out.
Well, in their first statement they said they didn't know about the framerate issues or the audio dropouts, so maybe those will be getting fixed.

A quick note for people when achievements don't register: While playing tonight I noticed that I didn't get my Freshman and Boy Genius achievements although I was 12 classes in and playing Chapter 2.

So I saved, logged to desktop, then reloaded the game. As soon as the game save was loaded it registered the achievements (thank goodness, wasn't going to be happy replaying a few hours to re-earn achievements).

Had 2 freezes and 1 'cant control Jimmy any more' episodes tonight as well -- very disappointing.

Really hope the patch solves these problems because I am really enjoying the game and story.

Costanza

Banned
LoveAndBeer said:
1 'cant control Jimmy any more' episodes tonight as well -- very disappointing.
Is that where the character just runs in place for like 10 seconds? I've had those too. Definitely annoying.

6.05% in . . . just started Chapter II. No freezes yet for me.

The camera is a bit clunky. Funny game though. Loved the classic big prank on Halloween.

voltron

In the interest of adding another data point to the graph.... been playing Bully for about 5hrs on a 6month old Elite. Not a single problem. Havent even been too worried about the framerate and believe me Im a massive framerate whore.

Maybe I had really low expectations considering all the bad press.

I have a 2 week old 175W falcon and it froze on me during Halloween. So I think the 'only on older models' isn't true.

Absolutely loving the game though, and having tried the ps2 version I wouldn't swap it for anything the environments, framerate and characters are a big improvement. The gamevideos video convinced me against the wii version because the environments in particular are lower polygon/texturs.

I reloaded and finished the halloween mission without incident, and now on chapter 2. So I think 1 freeze in about 5 hours or so (I lose track of time in this game).

Bliddo said:
PAL ITA version, so far so good, no freezing. Still, the framerate and loading times are awful.
An annoying thing about the load times is that it flips through the images too quick at times. It is so annoying to start reading a hint sentence and then it disappears 1/2 a second later.

VALIS

I was happily done with this thread as I said everything I wanted to say, but your apparent obsession with me and things I've posted three years ago is both creepy and intriguing, Rummy Bunnz.

Rummy Bunnz said:
How is a PS2 to 360 port with major framerate drops not a pathetic port?

Major framerate what?! Where? Do you own the game, by chance? It doesn't seem like you do. Do I own the Willy Wonka gold version of this game or something? I haven't had a single stupid issue yet, and neither have a lot of people, according to this thread. And surely you know people who do have a problem are far more likely to post about it on a messageboard than those who don't, right?

Rummy Bunnz said:
OK, you own thousands of games and you're obviously cool with throwing your money away, but not everyone is. You're really fucking warped if you're more concerned about a mega-buxx publisher and their employees' feelings than your fellow consumers getting burned. Though unfortunately that's not an uncommon thing on GAF. What the hell is wrong with you people.

Of course, you have to try and reduce my argument to being concerned for "mega buxx publishers" and not the poor consumers because you wouldn't have a great counterargument if you presented my side the way I laid it out - that everyone is entitled to a working copy of this game (I must have said that a dozen times) but purposely going overboard and creating a panic (which he admits he did!) isn't the right way to go about it.

If I buy a dozen eggs at the supermarket and find three of them cracked, I could go back to the supermarket and start ranting up and down the aisles about how this place sells bad eggs and try to scare the other people from buying eggs there. I would almost certainly get prompt attention by doing that. But is that right? Who cares if the ends justify the means?

Or I could have just walked up to an employee or the help desk, showed them the eggs and said, "Hey man, you sold me some cracked eggs." Just like 99% of the people who have technical problems with games go to the developer or publisher website to report their bugs and register their complaints. But, ah. What if I create a good, hyper arm-waving GAF thread about the problems I've been having with the game and try to spam it across the internet? Then I'd create a nice big attention getting GAF thread AND I'd probably get a quick response because I'm representing their product as broken to the world when that isn't the universal case! Win win!

So I dunno man. You're trying to paint me as simply defending the publishers and you're wrong. There's just a responsible and an irresponsible way to get the same thing done, and obviously that's where my issue is. Now I guess you can come back at me with more misrepresentations of what I'm saying along with some more three year old nuggets from my posting history. Heh. Weird. You're taking this far more personally than even Costanza is.

Costanza

Banned
VALIS said:
Or I could have just walked up to an employee or the help desk, showed them the eggs and said, "Hey man, you sold me some cracked eggs." Just like 99% of the people who have technical problems with games go to the developer or publisher website to report their bugs and register their complaints. But, ah. What if I create a good, hyper arm-waving GAF thread about the problems I've been having with the game and try to spam it across the internet? Then I'd create a nice big attention getting GAF thread AND I'd probably get a quick response because I'm representing their product as broken to the world when that isn't the universal case! Win win!
People tried this and got a canned response about clearing cache. Which didn't work.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Gamespot knocked a full point off of the review for "Frequent crashes, bugs, and glitches" as well as "Inconsistent frame rate and other minor annoyances."

I guess they're part of the 'minority' of people who had this broken, rushed out the door port crash their boxes as well.

Costanza

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Gamespot knocked a full point off of the review for "Frequent crashes, bugs, and glitches" as well as "Inconsistent frame rate and other minor annoyances."

I guess they're part of the 'minority' of people who had this broken, rushed out the door port crash their boxes as well.
heh, awesome. what'd they end up giving it?

Surfheart

Going to pick this up this afternoon after work. Stil undecided, but leaning towards the Wii version.. It's pretty much a rock solid framerate?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
darkressurection said:

i spent around 15-20 hours, but you can EASILY spend more than that if you really want to be a completist about it. There's a lot to the game, but not nearly as much as a run-of-the-mill GTA game. Its very tight, not that many places to go.

i didn't do much of the extra stuff, i basically finished the story and that was it.

i loved the game, though. and they let you play through the whole thing again i think. but you lose some sort of progress or something like that.

davepoobond said:
i spent around 15-20 hours, but you can EASILY spend more than that if you really want to be a completist about it. There's a lot to the game, but not nearly as much as a run-of-the-mill GTA game. Its very tight, not that many places to go.

i didn't do much of the extra stuff, i basically finished the story and that was it.

i loved the game, though. and they let you play through the whole thing again i think. but you lose some sort of progress or something like that.
okay screw it, crashes and all... I'm buying it.

Scottlarock said:
okay screw it, crashes and all... I'm buying it.
You won't regret it. Fun game. Definitely some flaws in the engine but very fun. I had some people over last weekend and they ended up playing it for 6 hours.

Costanza

Banned
speculawyer said:
I kinda doubt that will happen. It take more than a week just to certify a patch.
If MS pushes it through cert, it might happen today/tomorrow. I still think they pretty much knew about the problems before the game hit shelves.

Struct09

I guess I'm lucky. I'm on Chapter 3 now, and haven't had any real problems. No framerate issues, no freezing, no problems with achievements.

Hopefully they get that patch out soon for those who are having problems.

Oni Jazar

I gotta say that I hate the load times! Way too frequent. GTA never had this problem because most of the game was outdoors. Bully however keeps forcing you to go to different buildings.

Yeah, the load times suck, and the framerate drops occasionally, and the go kart race feels like I'm lagging out in an online event, but the game still rocks.

It's frozen on me once; I"m at the beginning of Ch. 2. It would be nice if the game had no issues, but I don't regret the purchase.

Costanza

Banned
Revengeance said:
Yeah, the load times suck, and the framerate drops occasionally, and the go kart race feels like I'm lagging out in an online event, but the game still rocks.

It's frozen on me once; I"m at the beginning of Ch. 2. It would be nice if the game had no issues, but I don't regret the purchase.
I haven't gotten to the go kart stuff yet.. hopefully the framerate stuff is fixed in the patch because I'm really not looking forward to it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Oni Jazar said:
I gotta say that I hate the load times! Way too frequent. GTA never had this problem because most of the game was outdoors. Bully however keeps forcing you to go to different buildings.

load times were the most tragic thing about the game. took wayyyy long

Bliddo

Revengeance said:
Yeah in the glitchy go cart race the frame rate is pathetic.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'd really like to hear what the status of the patch is.

I'm not playing until I know it's not going to randomly freeze.

Come on Rockstar. You got the game out in time for quarterly earnings, now fix the fucking thing.

Costanza

Banned
FlyinJ said:
I'd really like to hear what the status of the patch is.

I'm not playing until I know it's not going to randomly freeze.

Come on Rockstar. You got the game out in time for quarterly earnings, now fix the fucking thing.
If we can believe their "within a week" timeframe, it's gotta come by tomorrow. I haven't touched the game either since like last Saturday.

Top Bottom