• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really weird shit that you do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nander

Sometimes, or actually quite often, when I listen to music or watch TV I find myself trying to translate the lyrics/what's being said from Swedish to English, or vice versa, in my head. And I try to keep up with what I'm translating, which is really hard and usually ends with frustration when I come across something I can't translate from the top of my head.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
QVT said:
Actually a symptom of OCD, but I am not a doctor.

I read good books.

So is washing your hands. Most people do little OCD things, but until it starts to impact their life negatively, its probably not something you would classify as OCD.

Person with OCD would be petrified of the things bjork fantasizes about happening, perhaps even stoping them from driving.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
posting twice could also be a symptom of OCD :p

Nick

I hate washing my legs. The entire act of bending over and scrubbing them is depressing. I just assume the water keeps them clean.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
When I was younger, whenever I was riding in the back of the car, I would look outside at the passing buildings and things. Then I'd tense my leg muscles as if I were jumping over them.

I also had a habit of tracing the shapes of objects around the room with my big toe whenever I was bored.

Ciel

cashman said:
Whenever I am riding in a car, I try to time my breathing, and blinking so that I do it when I am looking over the space between the dotted lines.

I also enjoy looking through an atlas's.

Dude mee too. I think it's from being a lifelong gamer.

I talk to myself a lot. Not that bad... but sometimes something in my mind answers back.

When meeting someone new I either:

A. Imitate their accent
B. Speak with a British accent
C. Stutter
D. Speak with a lisp

I've also been known to touch myself inappropriately in public. And began masturbating in a class once in school.

For the most part I'm the guy everyone calls eccentric.

human5892 said:
I will suddenly and arbitrarily have an intense recall of a previous embarrassing moment, usually involving something I said. The moment can be relatively recent or years old -- it doesn't seem to matter. The memory only lasts a few seconds, but during that time it's almost physically painful -- I usually wince and sometimes even mutter something under my breath. This happens a few times a week and is insanely irritating.
I do this ALL THE TIME!

Finn

Thunder Monkey said:
I've also been known to touch myself inappropriately in public. And began masturbating in a class once in school.
That's less "weird shit that you do" and more "illegal shit that you do."

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I have this hand sign language that I came up with when I was a kid. Sometimes when I get nervous, I spell out the words I'm saying as I say them.

I also count how many steps I take pretty frequently. It's 16 steps up my staircase at home, 2140 steps from my front door to my daughter's house, and 9 steps into my basement. I also always count stairs as I climb them, so that I won't fall down them later.

itxaka

Defeatist
I narrate my present life out loud in third person.

just did it for 2 days after seeing it on Family guy, could´t get the idea out of my head as it´s awesome

GhaleonEB

human5892 said:
I do quite a few of the things already mentioned in here, but to add one:

I will suddenly and arbitrarily have an intense recall of a previous embarrassing moment, usually involving something I said. The moment can be relatively recent or years old -- it doesn't seem to matter. The memory only lasts a few seconds, but during that time it's almost physically painful -- I usually wince and sometimes even mutter something under my breath. This happens a few times a week and is insanely irritating.
I do this too. There's a handful of really embarrassing memories that come back to me at random, mostly from when I was a teenager, and I literally wince when they do.

I also have a tendency to talk to myself, usually moving my lips as I do so.

Tarazet

I pop my ears all the time, because I feel pressure in them however slight and I unconsciously try to clear it out. If I notice it and try to suppress it, then invariably I'll have to swallow several times and they'll still pop anyway.

human5892 said:

Holy crap, I do this exact same thing.

AlexMogil

human5892 said:
intense recall of a previous embarrassing moment, usually involving something I said. The moment can be relatively recent or years old -- it doesn't seem to matter. The memory only lasts a few seconds, but during that time it's almost physically painful -- I usually wince and sometimes even mutter something under my breath. This happens a few times a week and is insanely irritating.

There was a thread about this. I do it too and I have been consciously fighting it. Winning so far.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Great Rumbler said:
I'm always arranging things and moving things around until they're as symmetrical as possible.

Probably the OC Disorder.
Don't call it that.

bjork

I get into arguments with people over stuff I don't really care about, and will stick to my argument just to see them get all flustered and angry. Then they get even more mad when they see that I never cared about the topic in the first place, and they're still all in a huff over nothing. :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
bjork said:
I get into arguments with people over stuff I don't really care about, and will stick to my argument just to see them get all flustered and angry. Then they get even more mad when they see that I never cared about the topic in the first place, and they're still all in a huff over nothing. :lol

I like to go into stores with weird clerks and get into fake arguments with them. I pretend to become flustered and stomp out.

Finn

I talk to myself about things that are bothering or annoying me before I go to bed at night. That's not that weird, I don't think, but I do talk like I'm having a conversation with myself. I'll be like, "I hate that kid at work, y'know? I mean, why don't they just fire him, right?" Like I talk like I'm talking to someone else and not myself. No one ever answers back, thanfully, but it still seems kind of odd.

I used to go to bed every night and ask myself if anything was the matter. Then keep asking "why" until I got to the route of the problem, and then I'd be relaxed enough to sleep. This was from a pretty young age too, I remember rationalising in my head how a spelling test was nothing to get upset by. It was kinda like a two way conversation really. I kinda went in to another character and questioned myself. That later would turn in to conducting fictional interviews on myself, as if I were in a position of power, on what I thought about various topics.

I don't do anything anymore though. It all kinda stopped when I left high school.

Sharp

Sometimes I deliberately stand in the longest line when I'm queuing up, because the back of my mind is telling me that maybe if I do it enough times it makes up for the times that I get in the shortest line. It doesn't really make sense so I can't explain it in more detail than that.

If I'm talking to someone for a while, I'll start thinking about what would happen if I suddenly did something to them out of the blue. Such as punch them in the face.

bjork

Stinkles said:
I like to go into stores with weird clerks and get into fake arguments with them. I pretend to become flustered and stomp out.

You'll notice *I* never said "at work!" Try again.

Nintaiyo

After reading through most of this thread, I've come up with quite a long list of weird shit that I used to do. A lot of the habits posted have spurred up memories of things I've done. I don't do most of these things anymore, but I did them as a kid.

-Like some of you guys, I used to have an obsession with balance. This would cause me to do many weird things, but the weirdest had to do with my fear of being blind. I would fear not only going blind, but blind in just one eye, so I would constantly blink with just one eye one at a time to make sure that I hadn't. But then I started to become obsessed with balancing things out. So, if I blinked with my right eye, I'd have to then blink with my left eye. But then I would think that since I blinked with my left eye second (#2) and the right eye first (#1), the left side would be overbalanced 2 to 1. So then I would blink with my left eye again (#3) and then the right eye again (#4) so that both the right and left sides would add up to 5. Then it got worse and I would think that since I started that pattern with the right eye, I would have to do the blinking pattern starting with my left eye. After doing that, I would obsess over the fact that the pattern starting with the left was #2, so I'd have to do another left pattern (#3) followed by another right pattern (#4) to even things out to 5 again. That's as obsessive as it'd get, but in a nutshell, if none of that made any sense, this is how it would go (R=right eye blink, L=left eye blink):
RLLR LRRL LRRL RLLR

Occassionally, I would feel like some of the blinks weren't as good as the others, so in order to reduce this "error" of my blinking, I would blink each eye twice like this:
RRLLLLRR LLRRRRLL LLRRRRLL RRLLLLRR

By the way, I would not do this in public, as I would get many strange looks. I usually did this right before going to bed when my lights were out. I think being in the dark elevated my fear of going blind.

I also occasionally did the same thing with plugging my ears for fear of going deaf.

Right after the blinking thing, I'd do the thing where you blur your vision to make two images of something with your right and left eye. If you can make two images, that means that you have vision in both eyes. If I did the blinking first, I'd have to do the double vision thing and vice versa. I think this is because I didn't trust either test completely.

This sounds really long winded and obsessive (yeah, i guess it was), but it usually only took me 10 seconds or less to do all of this.

Here's some other weird shit that I do:

-I have an obsession of messing with my hair, especially combing down my front bangs with my fingers. I used to constantly pull out my hair while messing with it.

-I constantly highlight text with the cursor when I'm reading anything on a computer. I'll usually start from the top and highlight down and then go from bottom to top. I'll do this really fast, and it makes it easy for anyone to know exactly what I'm reading on a certain page at any time.

-When taking tests or quizzes in school, I'll turn the paper over to see if there's any questions on the back. I sometimes do this 2 or 3 times.

-Making up success stories of competitive sports or various games while playing video games makes things a lot more interesting for me. For example, while playing Tetris or Mario Kart, I'll make up little stories in my head about how I'm an aspiring underdog competitor entering competitions to get to the top. I'll imagine myself winning competitions or setting world records in time trials. When I win or lose, I'll reflect on these performances in my head like any famous person would in an interview. Sometimes I'll write down my scores on paper to keep track of my various competing "seasons". It sounds weird but it makes video games that much more compelling for me.

-I have a bad habit of constantly re-reading stuff for tests and second guessing myself. This is why I do horribly on standardized reading tests. I'll read very slowly and re-read to make sure that I understood everything. Second guessing myself makes answering multiple choice questions in a time crunch difficult. This is the main reason that my reading score of 29 on the ACT was so much lower than my other scores. It also hurt me in the AP Language test I took last week.

-I read a story a while back about a person who found a snake or squirrel (I don't remember) in their toilet. For a long time after I read that, I constantly had to check the toilet before sitting down for anything of the sort in fear that something would come up and bite me (namely my testicles) while I was sitting there. I also had a bad habit of checking whether there was anyone or anything in the shower or closet of the bathroom every time I went in there. This probably resulted from watching horror films.

-When riding in the car with my parents, usually on road trips, I would imagine that our car was in a race, like Mario Kart. I would start our car in a certain place, for example 12th place, and set a time limit like 5 or 10 minutes. If a car passed us, we'd be in 13th place and if we passed a car, we'd be in 11th place. The goal was to be in first place by the end of the time limit. Like I did with video games, I'd make up stories in my head about these races as well.

-I used to have an obsession with taking my feet off of the ground whenever a clock struck a time with all of the numbers being the same, such as 3:33, 5:55, etc. I would imagine the floor turning to lava at these times, so if I didn't lift up my feet or get on top of a chair or something, I'd imagine getting burnt. I often did this at my computer, so taking my feet off of the ground resulted in a good minute-long abdominal workout.

-I used to smell my farts in bed. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Yeah, this was a really long post, so you guys probably link I'm really weird now, but I have a feeling that many of you did a ton of weird stuff; I'm just able to remember a lot of it. I'm also a senior in high school, so the fact that I'm still only a few years out of my childhood when I did these things might make it easier for me to recall them.

Shalashaska said:
If I'm talking to someone for a while, I'll start thinking about what would happen if I suddenly did something to them out of the blue. Such as punch them in the face.

I've done this too.

temp

posting on contract only
I masturbate. My roommate just sort of caught me. He knocked on the door and I said "Hold on a second" and hummed cheerfully as I ruffled some stuff around to hide the noise of me moving chairs back in their places. It's two in the morning and he always stays at his girlfriend's on Friday nights, damn it!

Also I share stories over the internet about masturbating.

I'm surprised at the amount of people who have internal dialogues with themselves, before bed or otherwise.

I thought I was the only one. :lol

the•rebel said:
I'm surprised at the amount of people who have internal dialogues with themselves, before bed or otherwise.

Nope, there's nothing special about you.

Mine at least comes in the form of visual hallucinations too besides of just aural.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
recently, I will sit in the shower and fantasize what it would be like to be able to go back in time and fix things. Not like back to the future style, but If I could just send back my current consciousness to the same body.

I know its normal to think about that sort of thing, but I do it on an almost daily basis, mostly in the shower. I will sit for an hour at a time just thinking about it. I think about what it would be like to go back to my 7th grade self with everything I've learned since then, or my ninth grade self, or freshman in college self. I think about long detailed scenarios that would occur because of the knowledge I have about people and decisions I made.

Its seriously fucked up, and its mainly because I fucked things up with a girl I love and all I want is to go back and change things, and be the person I wish I could have been.

:(

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
In 1st grade I licked my palms obsessively. I don't know what made me start, or what made me quit... I just know I didn't do it in K, and I didn't do it in 2nd grade.

I'd lick them so frequently that they ended up being incredibly cracked and dry.

...I never realized how fucking bizarre that actually was until I type it out, just now. Seemed natural when I was 6.

dustytruly said:
i can't look people in the eye when i talk to them

but i'm fully capable of staring at people for long periods of time from across the room
I'm the opposite... I'm drawn to the eyes and faces of people. I have to tell myself to look away every so often so they don't think I'm staring into their souls (which I am, I guess).

When I walk around near cars I make up acronyms for there licence plates.

Since the age of 10 iv felt as though I was being watched, at first I hated it but I like the feeling now

Jack Scofield said:
When I driving while listening to music, I'll imagine that trees and other objects passing in my side window are matching the beat of the song.

This reminded me of something I do. Whenever I'm a passenger in a car, I'll move my little toe on the foot closest to the window in rhythm with things passing by. Telephone poles, or trees, or cars or whatever. Sometimes I'll alternate it between things going past on either way.

I blame this one on marching band. Whenever I'm walking and humming or just have a song playing in my head, I'll automatically walk to the beat. I'll make sure that I step with my left foot on the first beat, or whatever. It gets tricky for songs with weird meters, and so sometimes I start doing these weird things where my foot hesitates before hitting the ground, or I randomly start walking faster and slower.

Ptaaty

When I am taking a piss, I always feel an almost uncontrollable urge to flush the toilet before I am finished....and I actually do flush it before I am done at least 75% of the time.

I think subconsciously I know that the more piss that is in the toilet the more is atomized and ends up on the walls and floors (can't see, just smell after a bit) so I preemtively strike.

I dunno that is kinda weird I would think.

Eriatarka

Banned
the•rebel said:

I do this all the time but I fill in what other people would say.
Ptaaty said:
When I am taking a piss, I always feel an almost uncontrollable urge to flush the toilet before I am finished....and I actually do flush it before I am done at least 75% of the time.

I think subconsciously I know that the more piss that is in the toilet the more is atomized and ends up on the walls and floors (can't see, just smell after a bit) so I preemtively strike.

I dunno that is kinda weird I would think.
I do this aswell. :lol
It's more of a game for me though. Can I beat the toilet!??!

Nintaiyo

SenseiJinx said:
I blame this one on marching band. Whenever I'm walking and humming or just have a song playing in my head, I'll automatically walk to the beat. I'll make sure that I step with my left foot on the first beat, or whatever. It gets tricky for songs with weird meters, and so sometimes I start doing these weird things where my foot hesitates before hitting the ground, or I randomly start walking faster and slower.

Yeah, marching band did this to me, too. Also, in marching season I would find that the marching would carry over into my everyday walking. I wouldn't actually be marching, but my posture would be a lot better.

zoku88

RevenantKioku said:
I also do the rehearsing of conversations, but people are usually much angrier over petty things in my head.
I do that too. I also re-imagine past conversations so that I can think of ways that they could've gone better.

It sometimes keeps me awake at night.

human5892 said:
I do quite a few of the things already mentioned in here, but to add one:

I do this too and need to learn how to stop.

It typically climaxes with me saying "Goddammit," and slapping myself on the face with intense regret, and then the thought usually is replaced by something totally unrelated.

HolyStar

Banned
I used to randomly draw stuff on my paper. That or a desk, or another person's paper. Oh yeah, and sometimes my throat gets itchy, and when I sooth it, I sound like a frog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom