• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Fall 2017, PS4/XB1, Trailer 10/20 @ 11 AM EST) announced

What will ultimately anger people the most about this game?

Results are only viewable after voting.

SomTervo

And dont you think they already know that? they are the developers and storytellers, of course they know about that fact.
If they decided to go with 7 white males thats because its exactly what they want to represent.

You'd hope so. As much respect as I have for R* (and I do enjoy their writing unlike many) their games increasingly seem like they were written in an echo chamber. This does happen even at high tiers.

Was Bloodborne a special case of port-begging being a bannable offense?
Bloodborne was published by Sony. Unless they change their ways, there's no way that's coming to PC.

This on the other hand is published by 2K or whatever, and Rockstar has only missed a PC version for like 2 of their precious releases.

Afrodium

Banned
Why are people so confident that this will be a direct sequel/prequel to RDR? GTAV isn't a direct sequel to GTAIV. Yeah, Red Dead previously had the Red Dead R- naming convention, but two games hardly makes a pattern and Red Dead Redemption has the name recognition. Most people don't know Revolver ever happened.

I'm not sure why people are surprised about no PC after what happened with GTAV. It was always likely this would be console first. PC version will probably hit 12 months later.

SpecX

YES! I'm preordering this as soon as it goes up for whatever the collector edition is. Will we get a remastered RDR as well before this?

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I'll have a PS4 Pro and 4K TV by then. So exciting. Would be cool if they released a PS4 Pro remaster version of RDR this year.

Izcarielo

Banned
"Don't you think Ubisoft knew they shouldn't be making a game that was technically broken and didn't even include a playable female avatar for the 4 player co-op"

devs are not infallible. their 'vision' is not immune to challenge and criticism.

now youre mixing technical problems with their vision of a game.
Im sure Ubisoft visions wasn't to make a technically broken game as you said.

GTA has always had some sort of issue with control. Either be it movement or gunplay.

Driving was at its best in IV tho. But otherwise I think other games (watch dogs, sleeping dogs, even rockstars own max payne 3) have been better at handling player movement and combat.

But then at the end of the day what Rockstar are gods at is their world and the sandbox. Only witcher 3 really gives their games a run for its money in open world immersiveness tbh

RDR was prolly the best of their world design for me. So to see them expand on that idea with current graphics.....whew. hyped for this trailer

Spinluck

Are we really questioning the diversity in a Rockstar game?

Anyway, this game is gonna be fucking ace. RDR one of the best open world games ever.

Gurrry

Why are people so confident that this will be a direct sequel/prequel to RDR? GTAV isn't a direct sequel to GTAIV. Yeah, Red Dead previously had the Red Dead R- naming convention, but two games hardly makes a pattern and Red Dead Redemption has the name recognition. Most people don't know Revolver ever happened.

The only reason I think it has ties to the previous entry is that one of those characters looks like Bill Williamson. Which if it is, that means it has to be prequel.

But then again, it could just be someone else with a bent hat.

Nzyme32

I'm not sure why people are surprised about no PC after what happened with GTAV. It was always likely this would be console first. PC version will probably hit 12 months later.

Exactly. They already explained the process for the PC release of GTA V, and now they have very clear proof that the approach works to their benefit.

I'm fairly sure - no word on a PC version up until they announce it months / years later.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is their first game made for current gen hardware, that alone has me excited to see what they can pull off.

Oh, I imagine that the bar will be raised yet again. It will no doubt be astounding. Even the GTA V remaster is one of the best looking games so far.

Completely agreed. RDR looked amazing on the PS3/360, and I can only imagine the sunsets and weather effects (storms rolling in) on the current hardware.

Shikoba

Probably because the man on the left resembles John Marston (Notably the 2 scars). But could be a coincident.

diaspora

I mean, GTA3 had a black lead, 4 a slavic lead, and 5 had one of the 3 main characters be a person of colour. The argument that Rockstar's repetitive with the all-male stories can be made, but they're not generally homogeneous.

And dont you think they already know that? they are the developers and storytellers, of course they know about that fact.
If they decided to go with 7 white males thats because its exactly what they want to represent.

And if you were a storyteller you would ask yourself: why they gotta be white? is it important that they're white? is it important that they're male? could they be mixed? could one of them be black? etc.

Not looking deeper is why white and male are almost always the default main characters in stories and any other medium.

Red Dead Redemption's name was very much tied into the narrative and the character of John Marston. Unless RDR2 is ALSO a redemption story, which would feel more tired this time, then it just feels like a lazy marketing move rather than smart branding.

Madness

I have a Sony X800D now. Can you imagine what they could do with HDR in this game? Those beautiful wild west vistas. Rockstar stays killing it. They are going to print money like crazy. Only GTA VI would top this. Forget all the online stuff. Make sure campaign is long and memorable and that there is single player dlc planned this time.

Zolo

"Don't you think Ubisoft knew they shouldn't be making a game that was technically broken and didn't even include a playable female avatar for the 4 player co-op"

devs are not infallible. their 'vision' is not immune to challenge and criticism.

Wasn't the reason in that case because the player entered co-op through the regular world and always appeared as the PC with the other co-op characters just being the same model? Can't say myself because I never played, but that's what I heard.

Cartho

Autumn 2017 eh?
hank-scorpio.png

jett

D-Member
Just realized this will actually be the first "next-gen" (lol) game from Rockstar, since GTAV was really a PS360 game.

I actually wonder is it going to look like. Rockstar's production values are probably the best in the business along with Naughty Dog's, and GTAV looked downright miraculous on PS3.

Just realized this will actually be the first "next-gen" (lol) game from Rockstar, since GTAV was really a PS360 game.

I actually wonder is it going to look like. Rockstar's production values are probably the best in the business along with Naughty Dog's, and GTAV looked downright miraculous on PS3.

feh, I still think the next-gen versions were the real ones and they just pulled some wizard shit to get em on PS3 and such because good god

Even if the framerate was butt, how'd they pull that off

Izcarielo

Banned
And if you were a storyteller you would ask yourself: why they gotta be white? is it important that they're white? is it important that they're male? could they be mixed? could one of them be black? etc.

Not looking deeper is why white and male are almost always the default main characters in stories and any other medium.

Maybe they already did and they have considered that cast of characters suit their storytelling, what do i know...i kind of get the feeling that having white males in a videogame is starting to be something punishable .
we still didnt even see the characters by the way, just as a reminder.

Finalow

I'd wait for at least a trailer before complaining about the game possibly having major issues of gender representation and whatnot, but hey, that's just me.

not really surprised by this announcement (they teased the game for a while, iirc it should have been at E3 too) but I'm glad to finally see it. looking forward to play it.

If it turns out that this is the game we need to take down and we get a diverse cast I'm quoting each and every single post arguing against diversity in historical settings. Seriously debating whether or not an entirely seperate topic should be made to educate these dudes about history since they seem to take history lessons solely from whitewashed media. ಠ_ಠ
yes do that, but just be sure to post again the oh-so-clever bingo picture and the word 'whitewashed' at least 5 times after each sentence otherwise people won't understand.

duckroll

I expect it to look better than GTAV in some ways but not by a large margin. The setting will be very different so they'll get a lot of mileage for freshness there. The thing about Rockstar is that they are best at evolving, so the first serious effort on a new hardware spec doesn't offer the best results, it's the last effort at the end of the hardware cycle that does.

In terms of technical showcase, GTAIV was a pile of shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. RDR was much better, but had a ton of bugs too. GTAV looked amazing.

diaspora

YES!!

Now just release a remaster of RDR in spring/summer and it'll be perfect!

iirc RDR is a technical dumpster fire that needed Banzies to even see the light of day, I'd rather they just remake the game in whatever engine with whatever tools are being used for RDR2.

Fjordson

Red Dead Redemption's name was very much tied into the narrative and the character of John Marston. Unless RDR2 is ALSO a redemption story, which would feel more tired this time, then it just feels like a lazy marketing move rather than smart branding.
Feel like it's smart branding and a lazy marketing move. It's not terribly creative, but keeping sequel names super simple for casual fans is part of the thinking I'd assume. "Hey you liked Red Dead Redemption? Here's the new one!"

jem0208

I wouldn't say shit. I mean there's a certain feel to GTA controls which I agree are not very natural. But comparing GTAIV to GTAV is like comparing something that is barely functional to something that is very functional but feels a bit too loose and somewhat awkward at times. I guess this is the "tank controls" of the open world genre. GTA Is never going to control like a smooth TPS, but they have made aiming and combat manageable and occasionally fun, which is a HUGE step up imo.
There’s a definite improvement but the characters still feel really bad to control.

Also I genuinely can’t understand why we’re still tapping A to run/sprint. That is awful.

Because the art we've been shown is most likely of Dutch's gang, which was Marston's old crew. We even see someone who very closely resembles John.

So with the information we have now, it looks like a sequel/prequel.

Top Bottom