• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report : Spider-Man Homecoming will feature Pepper Potts

Status
Not open for further replies.

opricnik

Banned
pepper_potts_iron_man_3-wide.jpg

Speaking of spending, remember last year, and Gwyneth Paltrow’s will-she-or-won’t-she role in Captain America: Civil War? At the time, I was the one who said she wasn’t in it, which was undoubtedly for reasons due to story bloat, but also at least in part because her Marvel contract is up and they’d have to pay through the nose to get her back, even for a cameo. Well, Marvel isn’t the footing the bill for Homecoming, so guess who’s back? That’s right, Pepperony lives as Pepper Potts returns to the MCU, and don’t think Sony hasn’t noticed they’re the ones on the hook for Goop’s day rate.

And that has been a problem for Sony, who has been a bit snippy about the cash flow on Homecoming. There’s been some sticker-shock about the price tag on a Marvel movie—remember that Tom Rothman, who hates superheroes and has previously short-changed the X-Men movies at Fox, is in charge at Sony—and with Sony announcing plans for a Spider-Man universe separate from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I do wonder if this marriage might already be over. But first we’re going to get a super fun Spider-Man movie out of it, with hopefully much improved lighting.

http://www.laineygossip.com/Robert-...of-Spider-Man-Homecoming-in-new-trailer/46642
http://www.newsarama.com/33790-report-pepper-potts-to-return-in-spider-man-homecoming.html

Rymuth

You shouldn't copy/paste the whole article - just the highlights/extracts.

On-topic: if she's back, I'd be okay with it. Tony needs his happy ending.

Arjayes

Banned
Chuckled at Iron Man 4.

They could avoid all of this by just not putting in RDJ or by using another Avenger, I mean it's too late now but still.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Supposedly hawkeye is in Ant-Man & The Wasp and playing a big role in it.

Then they should have taken War Machine cause Peter needs to learn how to be a soldier fighting for good old uncle sam.

I am sarcastic. Using Tony Stark makes the most sense for a science geek like Peter. They could have used Banner, too, but he is in space.

LaNaranja

You mean Iron Man 7 right?

This is the start of the third trilogy. The MCU always been about Stark, everyone else is just a guest.

1. Iron Man
2. Iron Man 2
3. Avengers

4. Iron Man 3
5. Avengers: Age Of Ultron
6. Captain America: Civil War

7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
8. Avengers Infinity War
9. Avengers Infinity War 2: Electric Boogaloo​

I am interested in seeing where they end up taking the Pepper relationship moving forward. I still think they should have just actually let her die at the end of Iron Man 3.

Well shit why not throw in Don Cheadle and that kid from Iron Man 3 while they're at it.

I would legitimately love to see Cheadle and Kid Nova in this. Even if you just give them cameos during what looks like a field trip scene in the trailer.

Blizzard

Banned
I'd rather Tony Stark end up happily married to Aunt May than have Pepper Potts return. She always felt like such an awkward addition.

Chumley

Banned
Thread title is accurate if Pepper Pots really is in Homecoming

Just hilarious how much the MCU really does revolve entirely around RDJ

opricnik

Banned
Well last we know, the two are on the run together. Maybe after Infinity War, they keep hanging out?

contains potential spoilers for ending of infinity war part 1 and ant man & wasp
hawkeye finds out hydra is experimenting with hank particles, hires scott to defeat /catch them with hope. cant ask widow or falcon because they are dead, iron man in deep space cant be called. they are also seems to experimenting with Ultron head part

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Or how about no Avengers? :D
Since you missed the "no RDJ" part.

Remember, when Phase II started and all of NeoGAF went apeshit because Tony Stark could have just called the Avengers to get help or how Cap just should have sent a Mail to Stark to deal with Hydra and similar? Thats why they do this now. We can blame only ourself for this shit.
And also because Sony wants to have Avengers Starpower in this movie to make more money, it was one of their conditions back then when the E-Mails leaked. And from all characters, Tony Stark makes the most.

Glass Rebel

It's great. RDJ has been seen or mentioned in almost all of the movies so far. It's not surprising that people are tired of this guy.

No, it's a pretty dumb complaint about a connected universe.

Lol. If this is the case then "true" solo movies in the MCU might as well be dead (except for Captain Marvel maybe?). Even comics aren't this bad.

Ant-Man & The Wasp was dead as a "true" solo movie (whatever the hell that means) when "& The Wasp" was added to it.

Arjayes

Banned
Remember, when Phase II started and all of NeoGAF went apeshit because Tony Stark could have just called the Avengers to get help or how Cap just should have sent a Mail to Stark to deal with Hydra and similar? Thats why they do this now. We can blame only ourself for this shit.
And also because Sony wants to have Avengers Starpower in this movie to make more money, it was one of their conditions back then when the E-Mails leaked. And from all characters, Tony Stark makes the most.
Sorry bro, I wasn't here during that stuff but I'm sure Marvel isn't reading GAF lol. I don't even hate the idea of putting different Avengers in each other's movies (if they're part of the Avengers); I don't like the idea of only RDJ being in everyone's movies. Put Don Cheadle there or Pepper Potts, or the Hulk. Same problem I have with JL. Why is Batman recruiting college students when Alfred can do it? "Mr. Wayne would like to meet you" or something.
It's not..? lol
It's a connected universe with dozens of characters. A decade later it's pretty much RDJ's universe.

Donos

Uh, the salt over Stark.. . MCU draw is also about the connectivity of the stories and heroes. Clear that Sony wants Cap/Stark/whoever in "their" movie to push sales.

I'm in for Aunt May though...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Sorry bro, I wasn't here during that stuff but I'm sure Marvel isn't reading GAF lol.
No idea, but Sony Pictures did, for example. Source: Email leaks. So its not that far off that other Studios do that, too to to get a feel for the reception of stuff.

I don't even hate the idea of putting different Avengers in each other's movies (if they're part of the Avengers); I don't like the idea of only RDJ being in everyone's movies. Put Don Cheadle there or Pepper Potts, or the Hulk. Same problem I have with JL. Why is Batman recruiting college students when Alfred can do it? "Mr. Wayne would like to meet you" or something.
Why should Hulk, Pepper Potts or Don Cheadle appear in the new Spider-Man movie alongside Peter Parker? You are not the writer, so you dont have to make a story pitch out of this explanation, but just say why it makes sense for any of the other characters to show up in this movie given the history of these characters. Iron Man makes the most sense.
Also, he is far from beeing in everyones movie.

Cipherr

Ant-Man & The Wasp was dead as a "true" solo movie (whatever the hell that means) when "& The Wasp" was added to it.

This, lol. Besides, you don't get a medal for being a solo movie. People want a "good" movie, thats all that matters.

Besides, if no one showed up in these other films, we would be back to having the same people now crying about cameos, instead crying about why Avengers don't show up in each others films outside of the tentpole films.

/rolleyes

Yager

Banned

I disagree. There are other characters in that universe, yet most of the time is "RDJ and a couple of friends". I don't think that it's that hard to understand that some people are tired of seeing him in "everything", and specially in this case, where it seems that instead of a Spider-Man film we're getting "Iron Man 4 feat. Spider-Man" (and I say it seems because we haven't seen the final product, that might change).

It's the same in the DC side. A lot of folks are tired of Batman being in fucking everything. Does that make sense from a business standpoint? Of course, but that doesn't make the complaint less valid.

Glass Rebel

It's not..? lol
It's a connected universe with dozens of characters. A decade later it's pretty much RDJ's universe.

If you don't want characters to show up where it makes sense, I suggest you watch a DCEU movie. They got you covered.

I disagree. There are other characters in that universe, yet most of the time is "RDJ and a couple of friends". I don't think that it's that hard to understand that some people are tired of seeing him in "everything", and specially in this case, where it seems that instead of a Spider-Man film we're getting "Iron Man 4 feat. Spider-Man" (and I say it seems because we haven't seen the final product, that might change).

It's the same in the DC side. A lot of folks are tired of Batman being in fucking everything. Does that make sense from a business standpoint? Of course, but that doesn't make the complaint less valid.

I mean this is bullshit and you know that.

LMAO Geezuz, Yager..y'all are just nuts.

Yager

Banned
If you don't want characters to show up where it makes sense, I suggest you watch a DCEU movie. They got you covered.

I mean this is bullshit and you know that.

I want to think so, but nobody knows this for sure. Of course the movie will spend most of the time revolving around Peter/Spider-Man, but that doesn't mean that RDJ can't have plenty of screentime, and that can annoy some people. Pepper being back doesn't help either.

LMAO Geezuz, Yager..y'all are just nuts.

Bruh quote the whole sentence. You're missing the "it seems" and the explanation afterwards.

anaron

Some are speculating the Marvel/Sony uneasiness will be played up in a "you better support this or bye bye" which lol if it happens.

Arjayes

Banned
No idea, but Sony Pictures did, for example. Source: Email leaks. So its not that far off that other Studios do that, too to to get a feel for the reception of stuff.

Why should Hulk, Pepper Potts or Don Cheadle appear in the new Spider-Man movie alongside Peter Parker? You are not the writer, so you dont have to make a story pitch out of this explanation, but just say why it makes sense for any of the other characters to show up in this movie given the history of these characters. Iron Man makes the most sense.
Also, he is far from beeing in everyones movie.
I read 3 sites after searching "Marvel Sony Email Leaks" and I couldn't find anything. That's all I got.

I do understand that he makes the most since for a Spider-Man movie, but they could have had no one. Or they could have had Bruce Banner, Pepper Potts so on and so forth. PP could have approached Spider-Man saying "Mr. Stark is very busy but he wanted you to have this suit" and then take it from there. Like you said I'm not a writer so I can't make a fantastic story out of this but I'm just tired of RDJ, man. Also, don't get me wrong, if people want RDJ then that's perfectly fine. I don't think anyone's opinion is "dumb". I'm just saying that I'm personally tired of seeing him.
If you don't want characters to show up where it makes sense, I suggest you watch a DCEU movie. They got you covered..
I addressed DCEU and Batman as well so... thanks?

With the aggravation some people are expressing over Tony Stark, you'd think he had fucked their Aunt May.
More like Tony Snark am I right?
EC82QD6.gif

Eidan

With the aggravation some people are expressing over Tony Stark, you'd think he had fucked their Aunt May.

Pepper Potts? No thank you.

I've no problem with Stark in the movie. Him and the links to the larger universe bring something fresh to Spiderman, as long as:

-Stark doesn't take up too much screen time
-He has a sex scene with Aunt May

dh4niel

Can't wait until they do away with Iron Man. Not with a recast, just don't show the character anymore. Kinda had enough of RDJ douchery. We know he set up the Avengers(technically SHIELD) and funds them, that's all we need from the character now.

Glass Rebel

I read 3 sites after searching "Marvel Sony Email Leaks" and I couldn't find anything. That's all I got.

I do understand that he makes the most since for a Spider-Man movie, but they could have had no one. Or they could have had Bruce Banner, Pepper Potts so on and so forth. PP could have approached Spider-Man saying "Mr. Stark is very busy but he wanted you to have this suit" and then take it from there. Like you said I'm not a writer so I can't make a fantastic story out of this but I'm just tired of RDJ, man. Also, don't get me wrong, if people want RDJ then that's perfectly fine. I don't think anyone's opinion is "dumb". I'm just saying that I'm personally tired of seeing him.

Tony was pretty much established as Peter's idol/mentor/father figure in Civil War so him appearing in Homecoming doesn't only make sense but it also lends itself to a story that's not only compelling but also hasn't been told on film before and at the same time brings the Spidey/Peter character back to his roots. Not only that, this also opens the door to decouple Spidey from Iron Man naturally after he was brought in in a contrived way in Civil War.

The "Iron Man Cinematic Universe" complaint is dumb because people are making it sound like they'd rather Marvel didn't resolve character arcs in a natural way or come up with other contrived ways to have other characters appear in these movies. Just because they are "tired" of seeing a character. The advantage of having a connected universe is that these characters can have meaningful interactions. A glorified guest appearance like Falcon in Ant-Man on the other hand feels super forced and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Not to mention, they released a completely RDJ-free movie last year and are releasing two more this year.

I addressed DCEU and Batman as well so... thanks?

You're welcome.

We just had a movie without Tony Stark a few months go and there's two more without him scheduled this year. All your chapped and splintered asses will be mended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom