• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report : Spider-Man Homecoming will feature Pepper Potts

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMD

That's the least interesting non-character I've ever seen, they had to give her powers to make her somewhat interesting. They should just focus on fleshing out characters that have potential.

What a dilemma. I love Pepper and yet I can't stand Paltrow. I blame Goop.
And I think I'm more interested in the Sony / Marvel possible drama than in the actual movie.

As trash as Amazing Spiderman 2 was we got some great moments sprinkled in there involving the title character like when he had a cold and was wearing that winter hat with the suit on to get some medicine lol. Or when he saved that kid from the bullies and fixed his diorama.

I love Stark, but the novelty of this MCU thing is just done with me, it got boring after avengers. Its not exciting seeing these guys interact with each other anymore. Its cool that he's in here as like the mentor role. RDJ can do that better than most tbh. But man I want to see more of that high school shit they promised. Time spent on Iron Man and mcu references could be spent seeing Parker juggle his double life. One of the most interesting things about him. Since the sequel is practically greenlit already and they're using this movie to tell the audience that he's in the marvel world now they should just focus on Parker (and maybe Osborne) next time I hope.

More first half of trailer 1 plz.

I want Spiderman to lose his outfit except for the mask ~40 minutes into the movie, and be wearing the Iron Man suit helmetless for the rest

Glass Rebel

As trash as Amazing Spiderman 2 was we got some great moments sprinkled in there involving the title character like when he had a cold and was wearing that winter hat with the suit on to get some medicine lol. Or when he saved that kid from the bullies and fixed his diorama.

I love Stark, but the novelty of this MCU thing is just done with me, it got boring after avengers. Its not exciting seeing these guys interact with each other anymore. Its cool that he's in here as like the mentor role. RDJ can do that better than most tbh. But man I want to see more of that high school shit they promised. Time spent on Iron Man and mcu references could be spent seeing Parker juggle his double life. One of the most interesting things about him. Since the sequel is practically greenlit already and they're using this movie to tell the audience that he's in the marvel world now they should just focus on Parker (and maybe Osborne) next time I hope.

More first half of trailer 1 plz.

You're better than this.

I'm so happy you're in the minority on this.

Word. Having Spidey in the MCU and not have him interact with the others would be a massive waste. This is playing exactly to his strengths.

Arjayes

Banned
Tony was pretty much established as Peter's idol/mentor/father figure in Civil War so him appearing in Homecoming doesn't only make sense but it also lends itself to a story that's not only compelling but also hasn't been told on film before and at the same time brings the Spidey/Peter character back to his roots. Not only that, this also opens the door to decouple Spidey from Iron Man naturally after he was brought in in a contrived way in Civil War.

The "Iron Man Cinematic Universe" complaint is dumb because people are making it sound like they'd rather Marvel didn't resolve character arcs in a natural way or come up with other contrived ways to have other characters appear in these movies. Just because they are "tired" of seeing a character. The advantage of having a connected universe is that these characters can have meaningful interactions. A glorified guest appearance like Falcon in Ant-Man on the other hand feels super forced and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Not to mention, they released a completely RDJ-free movie last year and are releasing two more this year.
I really hate to keep talking about this but he was not established as an idol or mentor or anything. He was established in Civil War as a recruiter (but he's also Tony Stark so he's famous) so that point falls apart. Also, let's assume that the movie was written better and he was established as the things you mentioned... he would be established that way because Marvel wrote/want to write him into every movie. They could have just as easily had Civil War include the Hulk and during a presentation of Bruce Banner's Peter Parker was there and they got to talking. Not contrived at all.

With writers that make hundreds of thousands of dollars, they can think of better ways to include other characters. Just because they failed to in the past (Ant-Man) does not lend to your point; it just means they failed and had bad writing.

I'm sorry you feel so offended that people don't like RDJ in every movie but you'll get over it and learn to accept people's opinions, I'm sure.

Yager

Banned
You're better than this.

Word. Having Spidey in the MCU and not have him interact with the others would be a massive waste. This is playing exactly to his strengths.

So not only you are labelling which opinions are good or dumb, but now you gotta tell other people what they should think?

jett

D-Member
What a strange article, from top to bottom. I'm pretty sure RDJ gets paid mountains of Marvel money.

Glass Rebel

I really hate to keep talking about this but he was not established as an idol or mentor or anything. He was established in Civil War as a recruiter (but he's also Tony Stark so he's famous) so that point falls apart. Also, let's assume that the movie was written better and he was established as the things you mentioned... he would be established that way because Marvel wrote/want to write him into every movie. They could have just as easily had Civil War include the Hulk and during a presentation of Bruce Banner's Peter Parker was there and they got to talking. Not contrived at all.

Sure, if you ignore every bit of dialogue between Tony and Peter you might have a point.

Banner is a fugitive as of... his first movie? And he pretty much went off the radar at the end of Age of Ultron?

With writers that make hundreds of thousands of dollars, they can think of better ways to include other characters. Just because they failed to in the past (Ant-Man) does not lend to your point; it just means they failed and had bad writing.

You're missing the point of that comparison. Tony has a reason for being in Homecoming because his relationship with Peter has been established and them interacting feels natural. That's why you get meaningful character interaction that builds up both characters. That was completely missing in Ant-Man because Falcon was shoehorned in.

I'm sorry you feel so offended that people don't like RDJ in every movie but you'll get over it and learn to accept people's opinions, I'm sure.

I am not offended at all, I just think it's worth singling out complaints about movies with nothing to back them up beyond "I don't like thing". The entire MCU, its characters and their relationship have a set trajectory and people want them to go against that just because they're tired of seeing RDJ's face. It's ridiculous.

So not only you are labelling which opinions are good or dumb, but now you gotta tell other people what they should think?

People can have whatever opinions they want. But if you post a ridiculous complaint, you gotta expect that people will call you out on it. Hiding behind the "opinion" defense is weak.

Yager

Banned
I am not offended at all, I just think it's worth singling out complaints about movies with nothing to back them up beyond "I don't like thing". The entire MCU, its characters and their relationship have a set trajectory and people want them to go against that just because they're tired of seeing RDJ's face. It's ridiculous.

People can have whatever opinions they want. But if you post a ridiculous complaint, you gotta expect that people will call you out on it. Hiding behind the "opinion" defense is weak.

But why is not liking something or being tired of something ridiculous? The fact that there are established relationships between the characters doesn't make the "I'm tired of seeing this dude everywhere" less valid, because it's an opinion, and complaints can be based on subjective opinions.

-I'm tired of drinking water.
-Well mate that's ridiculous because you need it to live.
-So what?

Like I said, Batman is everywhere in DC related stuff. I love the character, but I'm tired as hell of seeing it everywhere. I get why he's there, I get that his presence is needed, but that doesn't make my complaint/opinion less valid.

highrider

Banned
She really didn't add anything to the films. I'm slightly biased though as Gwyneth Paltrow is just kind of a pretentious bore to me.

I dont get the crossover hate

There is no precedent for this in spiderman. Its been solo outing for the past 20 years and now we are being shitty about it?

If we are tired of the whole MCU idea then maybe they just need to end all the arcs after infinity war and start over

Glass Rebel

But why is not liking something or being tired of something ridiculous? The fact that there are established relationships between the characters doesn't make the "I'm tired of seeing this dude everywhere" less valid, because it's an opinion, and complaints can be based on subjective opinions.

-I'm tired of drinking water.
-Well mate that's ridiculous because you need it to live.
-So what?

Like I said, Batman is everywhere in DC related stuff. I love the character, but I'm tired as hell of seeing it everywhere. I get why he's there, I get that his presence is needed, but that doesn't make my complaint/opinion less valid.

Because your complaints are actively detrimental to storytelling, character development and world building. Especially when the complaint about Tony is exaggerated anyway.

Again, hold whatever opinion you like but if you post it on a message board you're opening yourself up to criticism. Just because it's an opinion doesn't make it sacred.

Arjayes

Banned
I literally watched that scene before I posted. It was Peter stammering, talking about feeling responsible when something bad happens, and then Tony's "I'm gonna tell your aunt".

Hey, Glass. I'm going to bold this so that there's no misunderstanding (not to be rude). Those are the circumstances because it was written that way. They could have chosen another path.

You're missing the point of that comparison. Tony has a reason for being in Homecoming because his relationship with Peter has been established and them interacting feels natural. That's why you get meaningful character interaction that builds up both characters. That was completely missing in Ant-Man because Falcon was shoehorned in.
See above.

People are looking at the MCU as a whole, and as a whole, RDJ/Stark is brought up in almost every film. People are tired. I don't care if their reasons for including RDJ net the film an oscar, I'm just tired of it and I wish they would have wrote it differently to diversely include all of the Avengers. Yes, as Marvel structured their universe it makes sense that the Stark name is everywhere. I never said it didn't so I don't know why you keep going back to that point. I just wish they didn't make it so that Stark made Cap's shield, and Spidey's suit, and located the tesseract, and want the shrinkray from Ant-Man, and founded the Avengers and literally (pretty much) built this universe.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh, and the Tesseract was by the way located by Bruce Banner, the expert on Gamma Rays, which are exhibitionated by the Tesseract, he didnt even know Pym Particles existed.

Stop complaining about Tony Stark when you are not even talking about him.

People wanted Spiderman in the marvel universe for so long and now they are complaining about him being in the marvel universe?

I can guarantee if homecoming had none of the other marvel heroes in it people would be bitching about it. Peter Parker live in New York,if a bad guy attacks it and he's the only one that responds to the attack it would be ridiculous.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
People should just stop complaining and go to see other movies if they have meltdowns small details like this. Just imagine what would happen when in one of the next movies there is a Box with the Stark-Logo in the background. Wowsa.

Arjayes

Banned
Oh, and the Tesseract was by the way located by Bruce Banner, the expert on Gamma Rays, which are exhibitionated by the Tesseract, he didnt even know Pym Particles existed.

Stop complaining about Tony Stark when you are not even talking about him.
Stark found it at the bottom of the ocean.

Don't get flustered because you didn't know I was talking about Stark's dad. I literally said it makes since because he made Cap's shield. That tells you which one I'm talking about automatically. Would it make you feel better if I said Tony's dad too. Well, there you go. Tony's dad too.
People should just stop complaining and go to see other movies if they have meltdowns small details like this. Just imagine what would happen when in one of the next movies there is a Box with the Stark-Logo in the background. Wowsa.
My avatar is how I read your posts. I'll consider the meltdown comment a hyperbole to give you the benefit of the doubt and not consider you a rabid fanboy. I have no intention of seeing this movie, I just mentioned how I didn't like seeing RDJ all the time (now with more daddy sauce!) and you guys were like "whooooah! not my Marvel! Let me combat your opinion with things you don't care about!".

Parahan

tl;dr : gossip site didn't like the trailer and thinks that Gwyneth is back

OP needs this update.

I actually though the whole thing was OP expressing his/her opinion on what was a reported by a legit source.

Also, despite being a huge Spidey fan I think it was the right move to bring Iron man(+pepper?)into the mix. This is the fifth time we are seeing him on-screen and Spiderman films could benefit from adding something more to the usual 'Spidey vs villain(s) of the movie' formula.

DieH@rd

Banned
Sony has a specific contract with Marvel, which is for one movie [homecoming], one sequel [still untitled], total of 6 appearances of Tom Holland in MCU movies [Civil War, two Avengers films, two Sony-produced standalone films, plus one more], and few appearances of other MCU stars in Sony-produced films.

After that, a new deal has to be signed.

Those are the facts, and everything is right now going fine. When the time comes, they will sit and try to get another deal.

Fj0823

Sony has a specific contract with Marvel, which is for one movie [homecoming], one sequel [still untitled], total of 6 appearances of Tom Holland in MCU movies [Civil War, two Avengers films, two Sony-produced standalone films, plus one more], and few appearances of other MCU stars in Sony-produced films.

Those are the facts, and everything is right now going fine. When the time comes, they will sit and try to get another deal.

Unless the Venom Movie is a giant hit then we can put this deal behind us!!

/sonylogic

LMAO Geezuz, Yager..y'all are just nuts.
I'm sure Iron Man will get 50 minutes of screen time and POV moments to himself and only himself in a Spider Man movie they've spent almost a decade trying to get made.

Wait no, that won't happen because of course it won't happen because that's fucking stupid.

Glass Rebel

When Sony sees the MCU money they're gonna be begging them to renew the deal. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about it way before it runs out.

Arjayes

Banned

I thought it was 3 standalone and 3 MCU appearances.

1) Homecoming
2) Sequel
3) Sequel

1) Civil War
2) Avengers
3) Infinity War? (I don't know which one comes first.

I mean, in the comics stuff like this happens all the time. You can't spit in Marvel's New York City and not have it land on either Tony Star or Reed Richards or someone that got some shit or some beef with one of them.

What's the point in having a connected universe if you never use it? Of course Tony shows up. Spider Man is NYC and Avengers Tower is a block away from where he swings around. Cap is off in Africa, Banner is in space.

Y'all just complaining to complain.

Yager

Banned
Because your complaints are actively detrimental to storytelling, character development and world building. Especially when the complaint about Tony is exaggerated anyway.

Again, hold whatever opinion you like but if you post it on a message board you're opening yourself up to criticism. Just because it's an opinion doesn't make it sacred.

Detrimental to storytelling, character development and world building? No if they made something different, which they could've, and I think it's the core of the "omg not stak again fuck this", that maybe some people would've like to see the movie going in a different direction regarding that.

And yeah, posting an opinon doesn't make it sacred, that's why I'm debating about this subject, because I disagree with your opinion too and saying that because someone thinks something different or that you don't agree with, that's a "dumb complaint". Besides, even if I'd like to see less Tony Stark in the MCU, his appearence in Spider-Man won't stop me from enjoying the movie. I don't hate the character, I dislike the fact that they wrote him in a way that sometimes it seems like he's the center of the universe (yes, that's an hyperbole, I'm using it to make my point clear).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom