• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report : Spider-Man Homecoming will feature Pepper Potts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

I mean, in the comics stuff like this happens all the time. You can't spit in Marvel's New York City and not have it land on either Tony Star or Reed Richards or someone that got some shit or some beef with one of them.

What's the point in having a connected universe if you never use it? Of course Tony shows up. Spider Man is NYC and Avengers Tower is a block away from where he swings around. Cap is off in Africa, Banner is in space.

Y'all just complaining to complain.

Because not everyone wants the connected universe.

Also, Reed Richards is locked away in a sex dungeon or something.

Fuchsdh

On-topic: if she's back, I'd be okay with it. Tony needs his happy ending.

Yep. Given that Marvel is clearly aiming for a never-ending story of superhero movies, I'd like for them to actually gracefully give old heroes an exit.

As for the questions of too much RDJ in this, given that they have put him into the mentor role I'd say those complaints are on the face of it overblown. It's like complaining about the entire character role of Obi-Wan Kenobi in A New Hope.

Sanjuro

Well it had been a connected universe for a almost a decade now. Why would that change?

With Spiderman?

Locked away in the FOX vault along with the X-men, more like.

Same thing.

fexkl7S.jpg

You know, I'm one of the biggest people against bitching about spoilers, but goddamnit if they wanted this to be a surprise I would've preferred that

Also it's entirely her fault that Civil War happened

Arjayes

Banned
I mean, in the comics stuff like this happens all the time. You can't spit in Marvel's New York City and not have it land on either Tony Star or Reed Richards or someone that got some shit or some beef with one of them.

Y'all just complaining to complain.
Technically, Ant-Man was also in New York and even came close to the Avengers HQ but only Falcon was there. They could have EASILY wrote RDJ in there; it was their choice not to. I think people want them to make this choice more often.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pretty big mistake to replace "Spider-Man: Homecoming" with "Iron Man 4" in the thread title. Very misleading, especially when the entire article is posted in OP lol

Technically, Ant-Man was also in New York and even came close to the Avengers HQ but only Falcon was there. They could have EASILY wrote RDJ in there; it was their choice not to. I think people want them to make this choice more often.

They would probably throw MORE heroes into other movies if they could, not less. But contracts and budgets prevent that so they have to spread out the crossover and take it where they can get it.

HeySeuss

If Stark is in the movie more than 15-20 minutes combined I'll eat my hat. He features prominently in trailers because he puts butt in seats and they want to clearly communicate that Spidey is now part of the MCU for his new movie.

He probably has 4 scenes tops.

If Stark is in the movie more than 15-20 minutes combined I'll eat my hat. He features prominently in trailers because he puts butt in seats and they want to clearly communicate that Spidey is now part of the MCU for his new movie.

He probably has 4 scenes tops.

I think we've seen him in more than 4 based on trailers tbh

Car Scene
There Are People That Handle This Scene
Ferry Scene
Yelling at Peter Scene
Flyby Scene

Ahasverus

I liked it when you signed up for a super hero movie and you got the movie about that super hero. Same applies for the cartoons. Old fashioned I guess.

I want as many characters interacting as I can get

We never got this level of interaction in film before. Only in comics and cartoons

And the level of quality is above what little comic crossover material that came before it with simple sequels

I want to see where this all goes before detractors eventually shut it down

Sanjuro

I want as many characters interacting as I can get

We never got this level of interaction in film before. Only in comics and cartoons

And the level of quality is above what little comic crossover material that came before it with simple sequels

I want to see where this all goes before detractors eventually shut it down

Marvel needs to put out some Where's Waldo? books for the universe.

$$$$$$$$$$$

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I'm still trying to figure out who the "people" and "everybody" are when we are talking about the public not wanting to see a connected universe on movies that have made millions and even billions each release...

HeySeuss

I think we've seen him in more than 4 based on trailers tbh

Car Scene
There Are People That Handle This Scene
Ferry Scene
Yelling at Peter Scene
Flyby Scene

Still sticking by the 15-20 minutes of screen time. Stark is in it to sell tickets. It's not Iron Man 4 or 3.5 or anything of the like. I know you didn't say it was, but I'm just saying.

Do Better

contains potential spoilers for ending of infinity war part 1 and ant man & wasp
hawkeye finds out shield is experimenting with hank particles, hires scott to defeat /catch them with hope. cant ask widow or falcon because they are dead, iron man in deep space cant be called. they are also seems to experimenting with Ultron head part

I shouldn't have read this.

I'm still trying to figure out who the "people" and "everybody" are when we are talking about the public not wanting to see a connected universe on movies that have made millions and even billions each release...

i mean i kind of expect now that we are several movies in and the realistic limitations are still there

its not gonna be perfect but damnit its fucking cool.

and look im not saying the criticisms arent valid. Lots of other projects are trying to copy this business model and it will drive down certain aspects of quality depending on how creators tackle each challenge

After watching solo movies for years ive been happy that Marvel is at least delivering more good than bad with the MCU and im thoroughly entertained

maybe ill get tired of it too after infinity war but i have to imagine we will see a huge shift of talent shuffling and remixing after that

Still sticking by the 15-20 minutes of screen time. Stark is in it to sell tickets. It's not Iron Man 4 or 3.5 or anything of the like. I know you didn't say it was, but I'm just saying.

Ya I think you're on the right track here

I'm thinking more extended cameo (his original Civil War role) vs 2nd lead (his true Civil War role)

Like there might be one more scene to bookend it where Peter hands him an L

Litan

Crossovers were also not as prominent, which allowed for long character focused arcs.
This coming from someone who was excited for Batman's cameo in SS.
Isn't this the point of a connected Universe? To have characters interact? Is there anything forced about Stark being part of this movie? Especially after CW?

How does him being there negatively affect Peter's arc when that arc involves the relationship between them?

Fandangox

Number of Non-Avengers Films that Iron Man appears in:

Hulk: (Post Credits)
Captain America Civil War
Spider-Man Homecoming.

wow much stark, very meme

This coming from someone who was excited for Batman's cameo in SS.
Isn't this the point of a connected Universe? To have characters interact? Is there anything forced about Stark being part of this movie? Especially after CW?

How does him being there negatively affect Peter's arc when that arc involves the relationship between them?

Early Spider-Man was a loner. He thought the burden of being Spider-Man was his to bear alone. He told nobody about who he was. It's true that he occasionally interacted with other superheros, but he mostly had an antagonistic relationship with them. The idea that he would be buddy buddy with Stark right off the bat is a little out of character. Especially since they are pushing this to be a "back to the roots" version of Spider-Man.

The more crossing over in the MCU, the better. It's one of the MCU's greatest strengths, and something that isn't possible anywhere else in the history of cinema. (And it was one of Marvel's great innovations in the early 60's too, so it makes sense that the MCU would draw on it.)

Spinluck

It's great. RDJ has been seen or mentioned in almost all of the movies so far. It's not surprising that people are tired of this guy.

Speak for yourself.

There isn't much out there indicating that people are tired of RDJ's Ironman.

He looks like a great edition to Homecoming, and I don't think he'll negativity impact the story.

The more crossing over in the MCU, the better. It's one of the MCU's greatest strengths, and something that isn't possible anywhere else in the history of cinema. (And it was one of Marvel's great innovations in the early 60's too, so it makes sense that the MCU would draw on it.)

*Before the crossovers*

"Where are all the heroes at during this particular heroes dilemma, this is why the MCU is flawed to me!"

*After crossovers*

"OMG GTFO Ironman, this is Spider-Man's movie fuck I hate Stark. And why is Thor 3 really Hulk 2, come on Mahvel. Bucky or Cap better but appear in Black Panther!"

Early Spider-Man was a loner. He thought the burden of being Spider-Man was his to bear alone. He told nobody about who he was. It's true that he occasionally interacted with other superheros, but he mostly had an antagonistic relationship with them. The idea that he would be buddy buddy with Stark right off the bat is a little out of character. Especially since they are pushing this to be a "back to the roots" version of Spider-Man.

This is the DC problem. It's their character not yours or the comic's. You can put a target down in the field, then claim they missed that target, but they are under no obligation to aim for it in the first place. So get over it.

Litan

The idea that he would look up to Stark, a superhero and scientific genius, is not the slightest bit out of character. They have a lot in common and the relationship was already set in CW.
This is the natural evolution of it.

Spider-man, like Deadpool, is a character that is always fun to watch bounce off other heroes. A loner he is not. Peter, maybe.

Lol. If this is the case then "true" solo movies in the MCU might as well be dead (except for Captain Marvel maybe?). Even comics aren't this bad.

Comics are this bad .
Hell there are groups in comics that had 3 or 4 series running at the same time.
Not counting the off groups from them.

Spinluck

As trash as Amazing Spiderman 2 was we got some great moments sprinkled in there involving the title character like when he had a cold and was wearing that winter hat with the suit on to get some medicine lol. Or when he saved that kid from the bullies and fixed his diorama.

I love Stark, but the novelty of this MCU thing is just done with me, it got boring after avengers. Its not exciting seeing these guys interact with each other anymore. Its cool that he's in here as like the mentor role. RDJ can do that better than most tbh. But man I want to see more of that high school shit they promised. Time spent on Iron Man and mcu references could be spent seeing Parker juggle his double life. One of the most interesting things about him. Since the sequel is practically greenlit already and they're using this movie to tell the audience that he's in the marvel world now they should just focus on Parker (and maybe Osborne) next time I hope.

More first half of trailer 1 plz.

Sony fucking blows, ruined Spider-Man 3 after coming off one of the best in the genre. Then hire talent like Garfield and Stone only to give us shit.

TASM with the proper creative taken would've gave us something special.

I'm at the point where I am desperate af for a good Spidey flick. Right now he is the Sonic of superhero movies, because everyone has their own idea how he should be done. I'm not against Marvel's take just yet, I'm still hopeful. I really liked Holland, one of the best parts of Civil War was him and his interactions with Stark. Really surprised to see the sudden distaste for the the two having scenes in this film. What did people expect? After Civil War it makes total sense. The guy was in his apartment talking to his Aunt lol.

With Spiderman?

Spider-Man joined the MCU.... to have stand alone movies? What would be the point of Disney getting the character, if not to integrate it?

I'm confused by your logic here.

Wanting stand alone Spider-Man movies is asking for Sony to make them, not Marvel studios.

bigJP

why cant we have a standalone film. screw the connected universes...
same goes for DC

dont mind having avengers or jl style or bvs: head to head style, but it shouldnt be the norm.

Glass Rebel

I'll take the alternate reality where the Fantastic Four franchise got huge instead of Iron Man and this movie features the Human Torch instead of Tony Stark please.

In that universe we would have never gotten an F4 and Spidey crossover but Fox might have given us an R-Rated Books of Doom movie eventually.

This is the DC problem. It's their character not yours or the comic's. You can put a target down in the field, then claim they missed that target, but they are under no obligation to aim for it in the first place. So get over it.

Of course they are under no obligation to be faithful to the character. The last 20 years of comic book movies have clearly proved that. it would certainly be nice if they were though. Especially since they are specifically invoking the first 28 issues of Amazing Spider-Man with this movie, they are kind of bringing the comparison on themselves.

Blader

There are already five completely standalone Spider-Man movies to watch. For the first one set in the MCU, where we have an established relationship between Peter and Tony, I think it makes to sense to bring that relationship into the movie and actually leverage this connected universe thing to tell a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom