• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report : Spider-Man Homecoming will feature Pepper Potts

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

The title and the content of this gossip column are all over the place, but the thread is even worse.

Now "people" are tired of other characters showing up in the movies that are part of a serialized universe? What? A couple of years ago the problem was not enough characters showed up. That's not what the box office says anyway. Not even the fan reaction to movies that aren't Marvel's. DC and Xmen movie threads are filled with people who want to see X or Y show up, and love marketing materials that tease that stuff.

It feels some people are just ready to pounce at any tiny bit of disagreement. Some poorly written thing comes out like this one, so they do it with opinions even they didn't know they had (going by the non-existent amount of threads or previous opinions on the subject). How dull.

Spinluck

I'm still trying to figure out who the "people" and "everybody" are when we are talking about the public not wanting to see a connected universe on movies that have made millions and even billions each release...

Ah, I see that you're not new to GAF but allow me to explain.

People = OT, Gaming Side, or simply that posters own personal feelings.

Skilletor

Of course they are under no obligation to be faithful to the character. The last 20 years of comic book movies have clearly proved that. it would certainly be nice if they were though. Especially since they are specifically invoking the first 28 issues of Amazing Spider-Man with this movie, they are kind of bringing the comparison on themselves.

Feels a lot closer to Ultimate Spiderman to me.

Well it's not like Paltrow doing anything other than being a celebrity and giving stupid health tips. Not that I expect her to show up in Homecoming.

Y'all getting a little corny with the RDJ complaints.

Yeah, it's especially annoying since there's plenty of MCU that don't have Stark in them. Maybe Marvel just felt that Iron Man would be appropriate to show up in Homecoming.

The title and the content of this gossip column are all over the place, but the thread is even worse.

Now "people" are tired of other characters showing up in the movies that are part of a serialized universe? What? A couple of years ago the problem was not enough characters showed up. That's not what the box office says anyway. Not even the fan reaction to movies that aren't Marvel's. DC and Xmen movie threads are filled with people who want to see X or Y show up, and love marketing materials that tease that stuff.

It feels some people are just ready to pounce at any tiny bit of disagreement. Some poorly written thing comes out like this one, so they do it with opinions even they didn't know they had (going by the non-existent amount of threads or previous opinions on the subject). How dull.
it's one thing for there to be cameos but if major characters - as in character that have their own franchises, have significant roles, it's hard to watch these films as solo films.

I definitely don't watch captain america 3 as a solo captain america film. it's not.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So they're basically just doing whatever since Sony's footing the bill?

Marvel has creative control, yeah. But I dont think they can spend any money they want.

The first few years of Ultimate Spider-Man had probably less crossover with other superheroes than the original ASM run did.

Yeah, thats true :D Right in the first issue Spider-Man was crossing over with Marvels most important IP back then.
Now where I am thinking over it, Peter wanting to join the Avengers is a mirroring of him wanting to join the Fantastic Four... Maybe we will even see a scene where he tries to break into Stark Tower with his powers?

Sanjuro

Spider-Man joined the MCU.... to have stand alone movies? What would be the point of Disney getting the character, if not to integrate it?

I'm confused by your logic here.

Wanting stand alone Spider-Man movies is asking for Sony to make them, not Marvel studios.

To create a new popular franchise that grosses a ton of money?

Slayven

I'm still trying to figure out who the "people" and "everybody" are when we are talking about the public not wanting to see a connected universe on movies that have made millions and even billions each release...

Like everyone hates the transformers, but they somehow made a billion dollars

inky

it's one thing for there to be cameos but if major characters - as in character that have their own franchises, have significant roles, it's hard to watch these films as solo films.

I definitely don't watch captain america 3 as a solo captain america film. it's not.

That was the promise they made with a shared universe tho. It's not him on his own on an adventure, no, but it makes sense within the context of his personal story, and if Cap is the character you are invested in, he is still front and center, from beginning to the end furthering his arc. Heck, some people even consider Tony the villain in Cap's movie (fools I call them, but whatever floats their boat).

It just seems pointless to decry a shared universe 15 movies in, especially because not every movie has been like Civil War, where everyone participates. It made sense for that storyline, and it makes sense that Tony is in Spider-Man, but it's not Tony's movie, regardless of what people who have seen 3 minutes of footage say.

That was the promise they made with a shared universe tho. It's not him on his own on an adventure, no, but it makes sense within the context of his personal story, and if Cap is the character you are invested in, he is still front and center, from beginning to the end furthering his arc. Heck, some people even consider Tony the villain in Cap's movie (fools I call them, but whatever floats their boat).

It just seems pointless to decry a shared universe 15 movies in, especially because not every movie has been like Civil War, where everyone participates. It made sense for that storyline, and it makes sense that Tony is in Spider-Man, but it's not Tony's movie, regardless of what people who have seen 3 minutes of footage say.
do you have a source where they make this actual "promise"? because they haven't kept up with it in regards to the tv shows. as for Cap, Iron Man is the 2nd most important character after him in his own movie, might as well be front and center alongside cap especially with the way the film was marketed - it was not at all marketed as captain america 3 what with all the hashtag team cap and hashtag team iron man

Don't understand the hate for iron Man being In the movie, what's the point of marvel even having the rights if they don't integrate spiderman in with the rest of the universe.

I really wanted a Spiderman movie. Emphasis on Spiderman.

Seems we're getting that to me..not sure why anyone is thinking otherwise. Folks are making it seem like Stark was in 95% of the trailer..he wasn't..not even 50%. And considering these movies are connected, the man updated his suit, and we're just coming off of Civil War, I don't understand this complaint in the slightest.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I really wanted a Spiderman movie. Emphasis on Spiderman. I'd also hard-swallow some other supporting character, not just again fucking played out wisecracking dick Iron Man.

How about you wait until the movie is actually in the cinema? Maybe Tony Stark has 10 minutes screentime?

Sanjuro

I'm really starting to get the idea some people really enjoyed what they saw in the trailer and then some people did not enjoy what they saw.

I mean, it's not just me here...

Hold on, Tony is in the first act of the story. People say the just saw the whole movie in the trailer, yet can't discern the whole first act being, villain intro, Tony mentoring Peter about new villain, Vulture attacks ship because Peter is careless, ship gets destroyed. Tony has to help put ship together, then lectures Peter about suit. Takes suit away. Where is Tony in the second or third act?

I thought people watched the whole movie in the trailer.

Hold on, Tony is in the first act of the story. People say the just saw the whole movie in the trailer, yet can't discern the whole first act being, villain intro, Tony mentoring Peter about new villain, Vulture attacks ship because Peter is careless, ship gets destroyed. Tony has to help put ship together, then lectures Peter about suit. Takes suit away. Where is Tony in the second or third act?

I thought people watched the whole movie in the trailer.

Creeping on May..

robert-in-only-you-robert-downey-jr-movie-781968119.jpg

inky

do you have a source where they make this actual "promise"? because they haven't kept up with it in regards to the tv shows. as for Cap, Iron Man is the 2nd most important character after him in his own movie, might as well be front and center alongside cap especially with the way the film was marketed - it was not at all marketed as captain america 3 what with all the hashtag team cap and hashtag team iron man

Do you really need a source to corroborate that these movies are connected and all work within the same universe and that characters are going to appear in several movies not their own? Are you trolling me? Google any Feige interview or watch the damn things (I recommend Iron Man just stay for the post credits scene), there is your source for that promise. The TV side is a lost cause, and whether they ever intended to do it or not is a bit irrelevant to the point I'm making. I think some or most people would like for that to happen, I also think they understand why it doesn't. The ugly business side of this thing. *shurgs*

I don't understand your complaint about Iron Man being just as prominent to be honest. Sounds like you expected Captain America to be the only character in the film because it was called Captain America? I can't help you there. The story of Civil War is an ideological split between him and Iron Man, one which carries over to most of the other heroes in the universe as well. It might be just as much Iron Man's story, but most people would be happy about the fact that they managed to further more than one arc in it, which is exactly what people signed up for when they started to watch this connected universe. It is still Cap's story, it is still part of his trilogy because it carries over his story with Bucky and his own development as this "super soldier" finding his place in the world.

So again, why is this a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom