• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Richard 'Hamster' Hammond of The Grand Tour thinks ice cream is for homosexuals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnax

Stewart Lee has a hilarious bit about which Top Gear presenter he hates the most:

https://youtu.be/K7CnMQ4L9Pc

He makes a good point that Richard is like that kid that laughs along with a bully sitting in his shadow. And is worse because he's too cowardly to show who he really is.

Tommy DJ

I actually find this too silly and obviously untrue to take as a serious example of homophobia.

I mean this is a TV show. It's all scripted and rehearsed, not some off the cuff bit of 'banter', and since everyone likes ice-cream (and I refuse to believe Hammond doesn't actually like it infact), it comes across to me as an absurdist joke at Richard Hammond's expense, based on his general on screen 'character traits' of overcompensating for his short stature and well groomed appearence with exagerated claims of machismo and competitively.

It strikes me as a joke made to make 'The Hamster' look ridiculous and to wind up the reactionary left wing that hate the show and will inevitably take it seriously. So mission accomplished on both fronts.

Regardless of what the justification is, it still isn't a particularly smart joke. Its even less of a smart joke when presented by a bunch of people with a history of making jokes at the expense of many nationalities and minorities. I doubt Richard Hammond honestly believes that ice creams are for homosexuals but there isn't too much doubt in my mind that he has no reservations about making jokes at their expense, which is sort of the problem here.

While a smarter comedian might get away with this sort of joke that would fit right in the 1980s, this sort of joke coming from the former Top Gear presenters just leaves more than a few people uncomfortable. And that isn't really a justifiable punch line unless you're an idiot.

I find attitudes like this very strange. I know some people who flat out refuse to watch anything animated because it's "for kids". Like watching a cartoon suddenly means you're immature or eating an ice cream makes you homosexual. Some people are very insecure about themselves.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i can kinda understand what he's getting at. any time i eat an ice cream i think i look like i'm eating a dick. it's hot when a woman does it but if a guy does it then it's just weird. that said though just cause you eat ice cream doesn't mean you're gay lol. i'm the same eating a banana or lollipop. call me insecure or what ever you want but it just doesn't feel right to me.

It's still making light of homophobia but I guess that's okay, because LOL GAY JOKES ARE FUNNY.

Is it actually making light of it though? Because, again, the butt of the joke in this is clearly Richard Hammond, and even in this thread people are making the obvious connection of such an blatantly untrue statement coming across as massively overcompensating for insecurities, which would be deliberately planned out during scripting and internationally kept in during editing.

Sure, the joke makes hammond seem homophobic, but since it's also about something he is unarguably wrong about, the audience is obviously meant to laugh at him, not agree with his stance.

It's so obviously an absurd and offensive statement that it can't infact be taken any other way than to be at the expense of the person giving it.

So yes, it's 'making light of homophobia' but given that it's making the person who is being homophobic sound like a buffoon, I'd say it's doing so in the way we should be making light of it. Because homophobia is as stupid as saying only gay people like ice-cream.

finalflame

i can kinda understand what he's getting at. any time i eat an ice cream i think i look like i'm eating a dick. it's hot when a woman does it but if a guy does it then it's just weird. that said though just cause you eat ice cream doesn't mean you're gay lol. i'm the same eating a banana or lollipop. call me insecure or what ever you want but it just doesn't feel right to me.

I think this is the essence of the joke: eating an ice cream cone looks somewhat phallic, like eating a banana. Then again you can also eat ice cream with a spoon. I don't think it was meant with any ill intent, just "hey this kinda looks like sucking a dick, giggles, and I don't suck dicks because I'm straight". I didn't really get the vibe that sucking dicks or being gay is bad from this, but it's obviously something that would not be appealing to a straight male.

It's a bad joke, but it doesn't seem malicious.

I think this is the essence of the joke: eating an ice cream cone looks somewhat phallic, like eating a banana. Then again you can also eat ice cream with a spoon. I don't think it was meant with any ill intent, just "hey this kinda looks like sucking a dick, giggles, and I don't suck dicks because I'm straight". I didn't really get the vibe that sucking dicks or being gay is bad from this, but it's obviously something that would not be appealing to a straight male.

It's a bad joke, but it doesn't seem malicious.

Maybe the ire from some people is Hammond using homophobia as part of a joke when its a real problem for people.

I could understand if the joke was poking fun at homophobes but im not sure anyone on Top Gear/TGT is subtle enough to have layers like that :p

I agree it doesnt sound super malicious, but its still bad.

samn

shame on these people and everyone who funds them.

Clarkson should be in jail for what he did. Instead he gets a hundred million dollar deal with Amazon.

Also he's great mates with David Cameron and Rupert Murdoch.

Tommy DJ

Maybe the ire from some people is Hammond using homophobia as part of a joke when its a real problem for people.

I could understand if the joke was poking fun at homophobes but im not sure anyone on Top Gear/TGT is subtle enough to have layers like that :p

The issue is precisely because its Richard Hammond telling the joke. Where I might give another comedian or show a pass, hearing this joke made me a little uncomfortable precisely because they clearly have no qualms about telling jokes at the direct expense of others.

I mean, this isn't even the first time they've used the "haha ____ is so gay" joke and they've never really been sorry about anything they've done. Its a bad joke that's made infinitely worse because Richard Hammond is probably actually a pretty terrible person.

Christ this shit is boring. It's not that I find it particularly offensive, as fuck these guys. It's more that it's so lazy, tired, unfunny, artificial and trite. It's school kids telling each other the same fucking jokes about 'bummers' and 'mentals' and giggling all the way to the bank. Them 'knowing' it doesn't make it enjoyable. It's still lazy, tired, unfunny, artificial and trite.

My overriding reaction is the same as to a daytime tv show: the ache of banality.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I know a guy who said, pretty much non-ironically, that ice cream and other sweets are "for girls or homosexuals". He was this really sleazy, douchey asshole from New Zealand. Then one day he moved to America, found himself a sugar mommy and has had a hard-on for Trump. This idiot reminded me of him. And that makes me unhappy 'cause I'd rather forget he exists.

Stewart Lee has a hilarious bit about which Top Gear presenter he hates the most:

He makes a good point that Richard is like that kid that laughs along with a bully sitting in his shadow. And is worse because he's too cowardly to show who he really is.

Love this.

Christ this shit is boring. It's not that I find it particularly offensive, as fuck these guys. It's more that it's so lazy, tired, unfunny, artificial and trite. It's school kids telling each other the same fucking jokes about 'bummers' and 'mentals' and giggling all the way to the bank. Them 'knowing' it doesn't make it enjoyable. It's still lazy, tired, unfunny, artificial and trite.

My overriding reaction is the same as to a daytime tv show: the ache of banality.

Yup.

Wow, way to overreact. If I had actually watched the episode myself, I would have just assumed it was Hammond's character on the show being dumb again. The audience laughs at him. The other two laugh at him.

Really dunno how it can actually be read as Hammond being homophobic in real life. He's playing a dumb character in a show.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Eh, just a poorly delivered joke. Hammond has no comedic timing or delivery, so any comedic concept falls flat coming out of his mouth. The absurdity of only gay men eat ice cream could make for a funny bit in the hands of someone with actual comedic talent.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
shame on these people and everyone who funds them.

Clarkson should be in jail for what he did. Instead he gets a hundred million dollar deal with Amazon.

Also he's great mates with David Cameron and Rupert Murdoch.

Punching a guy doesn't automatically send you to jail

EGM1966

How wrong can a supposedly grown man be?

Ice Cream is great at any age.

I think I'll take ice cream and view sexual orientation doesn't make any difference over this nonsense.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Its in poor taste, but too be fair eating an ice cream as a grown adult makes you look like a kid.

What the hell.

Should probably clarify, i mean when i eat it. Its synonymous with childhood so it just sort of makes it feel like that

fuenf

Wow talk about misrepresenting the joke.. I wonder how many even watched the episode and aren't only commentating on the picture. Clarksons comments / bewilderment about how ridiculous Hammonds statement is, is essential context for the joke. The picture above paraphrases the discussion to make it look worse than it actually is.

There's a reason they got away with saying it, that Amazons legal /ethics department didn't edit it out and that nobody is reporting on it. And that reason is that it is fucking nothing to get worked upped about.

It was a bit cringe inducing, but I did chuckle at the "Welcome to the inside of Richard Hammond's head" from Clarkson.

And then we found out that Double Deckers are worse than Flakes for crumbliness.

Rellik

It was a bit cringe inducing, but I did chuckle at the "Welcome to the inside of Richard Hammond's head" from Clarkson.

And then we found out that Double Deckers are worse than Flakes for crumbliness.

This should have been a thread in itself. My mind was blown. I'd have bet the house on the flake.

Unconfirmed Member
The inanity of Hammond's comment along with Clarkson and May's bewilderment at what he just said is meant to be the humourous part of that conversation, not the puerile link between eating ice cream and homosexuality. That said, like most of the studio segments, it's not funny.

This. I'm more bewildered by the lack of any reasoning behind it. Even for his country yokel persona, the joke falls flat.
That's sort of the whole point of the joke. It's dumb, juvenile and has no basis in reality.

dvdjamm

TGSeries18E01JamesJeremyIceCream800x449AutoCorrect_zps327ef37f.jpg

http://jamesmayboard.proboards.com/thread/3998/scream-all-ice-cream

liquidtmd

Banned

Bit mixed about Stewart Lee and didn't like all of this but from about 5:40 - 8:00 min mark in the above, fucking savage and yep agree

Guys guys, by now we should all know that the Top Gear boys are not part of the super liberal PC-gone-amuck crowd! **

** that they're douchebags

This is their thing, always has been. The promise of going on Amazon was they could do an uncensored version of what the BBC was always getting in the way of. So, yeah, this is what Amazon paid for. This kinda casual racist, sexist, and homophobic stuff, that so many people love and find funny. It's always been one of their main appeals, to many people, and every media conglomerate wanted in. I think Amazon probably would've been disappointed if they didn't get what they were paying for.

I mean going back to the beginning of his very career. I mean, it is kinda odd, many people say refreshing, but certainly unique to have these bunch of clowns just saying this stupid shit. Obviously there's an element of knowing what they are doing, and doing it on purpose. They know it delights many people, and stirs controversy, which keeps them in the media.

Considering the racism, the weird thing is how huge they still are all over the world. Think its just petrolheads, and something with being too dim or apathetic to be angry at casual racism.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
When Amazon picked the two bullies and a grandad up, it was always exceptional to me that Amazon would still try and promote a diversity friendly corporate image or try and suggest they support social issues on the right side.

You employed a quick to temper racist already guilty of common assault on a crew member. You don't get to do that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom