• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Richard 'Hamster' Hammond of The Grand Tour thinks ice cream is for homosexuals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkwater

Seems like a joke that only goes over well with a specific target audience while alienating the rest. That includes me; this joke was just tasteless and unfunny to me. I wonder who's responsible for it in the end: Hammond? A writer? Both? Others as well?

So I was watching this episode yesterday (pre-outrage, I've been enjoying the series), and well, it properly stopped me in my tracks. Like, I wasn't paying too close attention, then Hammond started going on about this and I had to rewind it because it was properly WTF.

Like, it just made no sense on so many levels. In terms of linking to the punchline of the segment (messy chocolate eating), bringing up ice cream makes you gay wasn't necessary.

Then the logic of the joke itself, how does it make you gay? Is it involving licking? Well, cunilingus is pretty gay I heard. Is it because it's something kids do? Well, that's actually offensive but no I don't think that's what the 'logic' was. They mentioned Magnums, so maybe it's the shape, in your mouth? Well, if your dick looks like that, something's wrong with your dick. And also you're eating a magnum weirdly, I've never given one a blowjob.

Then there's 'the joke is that Hammond is stupid' which okay, but is weirdly placed, means you equate bigot with stupid (as it's rooted in being seen to be gay is bad), and it's a really bloody weird thing to do. And judging from audience reaction, they didn't really do well at making Hammond seem like he was in the wrong for it, they seemed happy to go Haha ice cream is gay isn't that wonderful

Oh and as it's so clearly scripted, how everyone involved thought 'yes this joke works and is a good joke'.

Like, if they had used a feminine thing, or an existing stereotype, or something more obviously phallic, that Hammond was scared of eating, that'd still be a shitty thing but would at least work as a functional joke.

So yeah I tweeted my bafflement over the whole thing, a friend and fellow Gaffer saw that and tweeted the screenshots and then it went viral so this is sort of my fault in a tangental way. Whoops.

Still! Bodes well for their viewing figures that it took three days for this to be a thing.

Baleoce

C0rVxlGXEAAOLKn.jpg:large

Sillverrr

He made a joke - as it turns out, a not-so-funny joke. I like ice cream occasionally. I am also not gay. Whilst I did take a moment to ponder where he came up with this strange connotation, I figured that everyone has their own opinions, and moved on.

I will continue to occasionally eat ice cream, whilst not worrying about the message it sends about my sexuality, or about what Richard Hammond thinks. Let's not crucify him for making a faux pas.

I'm not gay but I'm definitely ice cream curious. My favourite ice cream is also:

Golden-Gaytime1837-611560.png

The whole thing screams a sad publicity stunt from a show that hasn't quite captured the same feeling as the old one. Let's say something offensive to rile up one side while the other side complains that they can't be homophobic without reproach like they could in the 50s and there we go, The Grand Tour is in the news again. Though normally it would be Clarkson saying something like this.

The guardian's piece on it linked to a tweet that summed up perfectly my thoughts on this:

really tho no wonder some straight guys are fucked up they can't even have ice cream

I mean how eaten up inside by anxiety do you have to be to constantly be vigilantly policing what you do and don't do, including what you might be seen eating just in case it could communicate to some other twisted anxiety-riddled heterosexual man that you aren't just like him?

Wvrs

Saw the thread title and knew the Stewart Lee video would be linked in the OP. Couldn't agree more, they're all awful human beings and I do not understand how anyone finds them funny in the slightest.

Tunahead

I'm not convinced that remark was intended as a joke, because I couldn't detect any humor in it. And I'm not being glib here, like saying "I couldn't detect any humor in the latest Adam Sandler film". I don't mean I noticed a joke and didn't think it was funny, I mean I didn't notice any jokes, except the one who opened his thick hole and said something tasteless. It didn't have any of the attributes of a joke. There was no element of surprise or transgression or truth or double meaning or even non sequitur in it. It was just the kind of thing your grandad says because of his antediluvian sensibilities.

M3d10n

I find it hilarious that some people's heterosexually takes so much discipline and following huge lists of do's and don'ts to be properly maintained.

It's as if they are always one slip away from starting craving for cock or something.

Monocle

God dammit, gay peoples. We already gave you rainbows but you are NOT taking ice cream.
I'm sorry, it's too late. Some guy on TV has already claimed ice cream for us. Give up ice cream now or prepare to slurp the D.

What? I don't think he's a secret self-hating homosexual, but you do you.
It's not a for sure thing, but one can't deny the pattern. There's a long and hilarious history of the most outspoken homophobes turning out to be way gayer than people who don't spend time sorting humanity into classes based on sexual identity and then loudly and publicly announcing their conclusions.

The defense force for these three is some other world-ly shit. I remember when the Clarkson thing happened people were falling over each other to defend his actions.

c131be75-0c6f-4fa1-8868-056604a29ffd_x365.jpg

lol @ gaf meltdowns because of CHM jokes... You kids need to grow up.
Oh right. One is a grown thug who punches people because he can't have a steak (fracas is a way of normalising thuggish attacks), one is a homophobe who uses ice cream as a way to demean anyone who isn't straight and white and the other knows where his bread is buttered so he keeps quiet out of fear of losing his primary source of income.

Tell me again why you seemingly idolise these men? Is it because they're /s "so manly"

jem0208

The guardian's piece on it linked to a tweet that summed up perfectly my thoughts on this:

I mean how eaten up inside by anxiety do you have to be to constantly be vigilantly policing what you do and don't do, including what you might be seen eating just in case it could communicate to some other twisted anxiety-riddled heterosexual man that you aren't just like him?
You don't actually think Hammond believes ice cream is for gay people right?

It was clearly a (very poor) joke.

You don't actually think Hammond believes ice cream is for gay people right?

It was clearly a (very poor) joke.
This is not the first time they've made shite comments on that show:

In December 2006, the BBC upheld complaints from four viewers after comments made by Jeremy Clarkson were considered to be homophobic references, had the potential to offend and should not have been broadcast. The complaints regarded comments made by Clarkson in the seventh episode of series six, in which Clarkson described the Daihatsu Copen as "a bit gay". He later described the vehicle as "ginger beer", taken to be rhyming slang for the term "queer". The BBC said there was "no editorial purpose" for the remarks and the "Top Gear team had been reminded of the importance of avoiding such comments about sexual orientation."

So yeah, I'm willing to believe they are bullies who think they can say whatever they like.

If you look through this page you'll see a history of racial slurs and insensitive comments that wouldn't be excused in any other workplace. Sadly they're fine for these lot

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_controversies

...Meltdown? I see a grown man making weird comparisons about ice cream and homosexuality, I then see people get justifiably annoyed at the behavior, and then I see people like you coming out of the woodwork to defend a very obvious homophobic comment by deflecting it to something that is only tangentially related.

So I don't really see a meltdown of GAF, just a reactionary auto-defence from fans of the hosts. Only thing melting here is the uneaten ice cream.

(I mean really, what straight man doesn't eat ice cream? Maybe if you're lactose intolerant, but still...)

RinsFury

Ugh, fuck these guys, Clarkson and Hammond in particular. I was glad when Top Gear got rid of them, and I damn won't be watching their new Amazon show. Just go away.

Zornack

What's the current state of gay being a punchline in British comedy? I was surprised at how prevalent it was in the The Office (UK) and in the radio comedy Gervais and Merchant did around that same time.

Monocle

Tell us more about how the people who criticize the addlebrained bleating that passes for humor in the minds of dim bigots are the real problem.

I guess we should all grow up and start acting like mentally stunted manchildren.

Fox Mulder

It was abruptly out of place, but also figured it was to make him look stupid and not some genuine feelings.

I like ice cream.

"Look at Richard Hammond's face in that clip, and what you see is the face of a cowardly man trapped between two different forms of cowardice. And I hate him for that. And I wish he'd been killed in that crash. I wish, I wish his head had come off and rolled along the track and all shards of metal had gone in his eyes and blinded him. 'Cause that's funny, isn't it it, on Top Gear, going blind. And then I, then I wish his head had rolled into a still-burning pool of motor oil but there was just enough sentience left in his spinal column for him to go, 'Ooh, that's hot,' and then die." - Stewart Lee 2009

Monocle

"Look at Richard Hammond's face in that clip, and what you see is the face of a cowardly man trapped between two different forms of cowardice. And I hate him for that. And I wish he'd been killed in that crash. I wish, I wish his head had come off and rolled along the track and all shards of metal had gone in his eyes and blinded him. 'Cause that's funny, isn't it it, on Top Gear, going blind. And then I, then I wish his head had rolled into a still-burning pool of motor oil but there was just enough sentience left in his spinal column for him to go, 'Ooh, that's hot,' and then die." - Stewart Lee
This has alerted me to the possibility of a slight chill between Stewart Lee and Richard Hammond. Call it a hunch.

hodgy100

What's the current state of gay being a punchline in British comedy? I was surprised at how prevalent it was in the The Office (UK) and in the radio comedy Gervais and Merchant did around that same time.

Its really not that common and when it it is used as a comedic device its usually to make the person that is saying said thing as bigoted.

Though being "openly gay" has been used as a personal attack in one of the uk's most popular news papers and many people are still deeply uncomfortable around homosexuals, like they see all this media that explains how its not ok to treat homosexuals as lesser people but their takeaway lesson is just not to express that sentiment in public rather than change themselves and realise that they have some prejudices that harm other people :/

Its mad that this was written, got past editing and production, was rehearsed then recorded went through post, and all the way they thought it was a good joke

Has James May ever said anything questionable? I haven't watched Top Gear in years but he always seemed to be a good guy compared to the other two.

Amazon must be chuffed - they got the Grand Tour trending all over the place, and all the far-right supporters will flood in to watch the show! It'll be great for ratings.

I just watched the episode the other way. I just thought it was a joke, a pretty bad one, too. Actually ate an ice cream lol.
But I don't quite get how this is a 300+ posts topic on GAF.

Has James May ever said anything questionable? I haven't watched Top Gear in years but he always seemed to be a good guy compared to the other two.
He did make that faux commercial a few years ago with Clarkson about people fleeing Warsaw in terror due to the invasion of the Germans (Volkswagen).

He also described Mexican food as looking like refried vomit.

Finally after Hammond had his crash Clarkson asked him on air if he was now "a mentalist" and May offered him a tissue in case he needed to dribble. MENTAL HEALTH IS SO FUNNY YOU GUYS!

Pretty tasteless shit.

1) What does CHM stand for?

2) What meltdown?
Clarson Hammond and May. I presume their legions of bro fans think that makes them hip and trendy.

And anyone complaining is apparently suffering a meltdown.

T.O.P

Banned
I just watched the episode the other way. I just thought it was a joke, a pretty bad one, too. Actually ate an ice cream lol.
But I don't quite get how this is a 300+ posts topic on GAF.

Oh come on, I'm gay and I'm not even remotely surprised by this

It was a weak humour attempt, getting all pitchforks on the guy is ridiculous

jett

D-Member
I didn't understand this joke at all.

Honestly when I watched this episode I thought a bigger stink would be made over Jeremy Clarkson making fun of an au pair he saw at an airport calling her a "huge moose."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom