• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

cj_iwakura

YAY for S2. Just caught up on the last two episodes.

- Why are so many of the parents such utter garbage on this show? Only Fred and the Sheriff are decent. I also think that Fred did the right thing with FP (I trust his version of the story more). Ultimately FP is to blame for the family tearing apart, though it is pretty bad that Fred seems to be oblivious to what the consequences were for Jughead, especially since he's Archie's best friend. He seems to be making up for it. As for Hermione, I'm on the fence with her. I am leaning towards that she's finding her way through a bad situation and while she's made some questionable decisions, she really does love Veronica.
- I figured that Polly and Jason were planning to run away. Good on Cheryl for warning Polly that here parents were no good. Though I have to laugh that they chose to meet up at Pop's. Everyone is looking for Polly so let's meet at the most obvious place where everyone in town goes.
- I really like Jughead and Betty, though I have a feeling that they are going to wind up as friends. I know there is a lot of people who are upset that Jughead is not asexual but I'm starting to think that they are "using" Betty for him to come to that realization.
- I know that everyone really loves spotting the blatant Cover Girl product placement but honestly, I love finding Betty's pearls more. Sometimes they are easy to spot and sometimes not. She had pearls in her Pussycat ears. In the 1950s version her collar was entirely made of pearls.
- that final Jughead and FP scene was fantastic
- He's name is actually Jughead?! Poor boy.
He named hia daughter Jellybean, lol. Maybe Jughead legally changed it so he wouldn't be Forsythe.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
C6qQ0VhU8AQ3eRq.jpg:large

He named hia daughter Jellybean, lol. Maybe Jughead legally changed it so he wouldn't be Forsythe.
If anything he resents being named Jughead. When Sheriff Keller said he's bullied a lot he replied with snark "Yeah, my name is Jughead".

Gin-Shiio

Surprised every time how bad Archie's actor dresses. It's like night and day from the show. He should also make his hair red permanently. This is the one fake ginger I will gladly allow.

ZeroX03

Banned
Is there a reason? It seems like a momentum killer to take three weeks off...

All the CW shows have to take breaks around holidays, or so they end at a certain time, etc. This is completely normal. No show runs uninterrupted. Breaks in March and April are the norm.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Coming to this episode later than usual.

- Cheryl's hashtag game is on point. #SharpenYourPitchforks
- Someone help the sweet baby angel that is Jughead. Veronica calling him Riverdale's Holden Caulfield sounds about right lol
- The Blossom Search Party rolling in with hounds and looking like they're on a fox hunt was a very nice touch.
- Seems like the show is leaning into Cheryl being a comedic antagonist, not a real threat. Noticed her scenes have gotten a little music cue for that
- Jughead's dad reacting to Betty's name is all of us every week lol
- Not feeling Veronica's story this week
- Arch & Jug under the same roof. Finally

Decent episode. Moved some people around and didn't shy away from being soapy

This shows just keeps throwing turns at me. Great season so far.

Skeet Ulrich is a treasure and I, to this day, am holding out for a Jericho revival on Netflix. Until then, I'll enjoy where and whenever and however I can.

Also wish Archie got a bit more play time. Dude doesn't feel much like the protagonist of his own series.

What I truly love about NeoGAF's Riverdale fans is that you hold our TV show to a higher standard -- you are unrelenting in both praise and criticism, and always, ALWAYS, want us to be better. Because of you guys, we'll always push a little harder and go the extra mile. I'm so glad that, seven episodes in, we have given you something worth watching.

If you thought the first 7 were bananas, stay tuned for the back half of this season. We won't let you down.

Joni

All the CW shows have to take breaks around holidays, or so they end at a certain time, etc. This is completely normal. No show runs uninterrupted. Breaks in March and April are the norm.
Indeed. It is mainly to be around for May Sweeps even if it might be pointless. ABC does have an interesting approach with the long winter breaks.

TheFlow

Banned
What I truly love about NeoGAF's Riverdale fans is that you hold our TV show to a higher standard -- you are unrelenting in both praise and criticism, and always, ALWAYS, want us to be better. Because of you guys, we'll always push a little harder and go the extra mile. I'm so glad that, seven episodes in, we have given you something worth watching.

If you thought the first 7 were bananas, stay tuned for the back half of this season. We won't let you down.
Did someone on the write this or is this you being weird

My favourite part of this all is how many times during an episode I realize I am drenched in atmosphere, not hyperbole on my behalf it's one of the best shows I have ever seen in that regard. Keep it all up.

bremon

Loved that episode. Jugs dad really sold that performance. The sheriff is a bit...off. That school march was total BS. This break is going to be rough.

PK Gaming

Late review but did Jughead steal this show from Betty Archie? He seems to be the most compelling character at the moment and central to a ton of plot threads. Interesting to see how things play out.

Mortemis

Banned
Late review but did Jughead steal this show from Betty Archie? He seems to be the most compelling character at the moment and central to a ton of plot threads. Interesting to see how things play out.

It's basically watch Jughead, Veronica, and Betty go through some shit while Archie learns music.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Kind of annoyed with the treatment of some characters. Kevin (and Moose for that matter) played a large part in the premiere. Now he kissed that Serpent guy like 3 or 4 episodes ago... I thought that was going to be an ongoing thing? Or thought there would be some more Moose stuff? Poor Kevin's been completely left out of most of the plots. Josie has gotten some attention lately which is nice but it's the inconsistency that is annoying. And the choice to leave Archie almost entirely out of the investigation plot is kind of baffling. Honestly, who cares about his music career?

cj_iwakura

Kind of annoyed with the treatment of some characters. Kevin (and Moose for that matter) played a large part in the premiere. Now he kissed that Serpent guy like 3 or 4 episodes ago... I thought that was going to be an ongoing thing? Or thought there would be some more Moose stuff? Poor Kevin's been completely left out of most of the plots. Josie has gotten some attention lately which is nice but it's the inconsistency that is annoying. And the choice to leave Archie almost entirely out of the investigation plot is kind of baffling. Honestly, who cares about his music career?

Maybe he's meant to be clueless and more sympathetic. I like his story, regardless.

Briarios

Jughead is easily the best character, I think people are putting too much emphasis on Archie - I believe he's supposed to be the center of the show, kind of what you use to judge everything ... But they said from the beginning they were calling it Riverdale to focus on the town, not Archie and not just the triangle.

BTA

Really liked this latest episode. Alice is starting to get a little baffling though. Like, I'm fine with it, because the show isn't totally ignoring it and it's entertaining. But
how bad at manipulation do you have to be to not see that announcing Polly's pregnant but still trying to get her to put them up for adoption is just going to lead to the Blossoms trying to get custody? Like there's a lot about the Coopers I don't understand - mainly why they're so concerned with family pride/image when that requires the next generation to actually give a shit to be sustainable or worth it - but that just felt like such an obviously bad move. Use the kid to control the Blossoms, not just the announcement.

I mean, she's the worst. But she could at least be smart about it.

Realeza

Banned
Last episode was great. It truly feels as if Jughead is the main character now, haha. I don't dislike Archie, but he's the least interesting, specially after Grundy left.

Dice//

Banned
Last episode was great. It truly feels as if Jughead is the main character now, haha. I don't dislike Archie, but he's the least interesting, specially after Grundy left.

yeah the show hasn't sold me on wonderboy musician/football jock Archie yet. Jughead's been more interesting, and Archie is stuck in a highschool drama warp.

Replicant

Yeah, I want to see more Kevin and Moose's story. Or Moose and Dilton.

Late impressions for this episode. This was one of the best of the season so far.

I was pretty giddy to see the tribute to the classic looks in Jughead's dream. Based on earlier previews, I thought that it would be in some costume party.

Jughead's character arc is the strongest point of this episode, with the fractured relationship with his dad, his blooming romance with Betty, and being accused of murdering Jason due to his upbringing.
He's an alcoholic and a Southside Serpent, but at least F.P. seems to be sincere about turning his life around. But he needs the support of his son more than anything.

I'm worried that the Blossoms might try to harm Polly and the baby. They don't appear as open to protecting their future grandchild as much as Cheryl does.

Fun fact: The search crew in the woods is one of the only times we've had most of the cast in the same place.

Mr. F

Banned
Really liked this latest episode. Alice is starting to get a little baffling though. Like, I'm fine with it, because the show isn't totally ignoring it and it's entertaining. But
how bad at manipulation do you have to be to not see that announcing Polly's pregnant but still trying to get her to put them up for adoption is just going to lead to the Blossoms trying to get custody? Like there's a lot about the Coopers I don't understand - mainly why they're so concerned with family pride/image when that requires the next generation to actually give a shit to be sustainable or worth it - but that just felt like such an obviously bad move. Use the kid to control the Blossoms, not just the announcement.

I mean, she's the worst. But she could at least be smart about it.

Yeah, I'm having kind of a weird time trying to make sense of some of the motivations in recent episodes, hoping there's a bit more sense to it in the weeks ahead. Also feeling some weird inconsistencies in character behaviours in continuity terms. Betty flip flops being nice/mad at/rebelling/cooperating/trusting/distrusting with her parents faster than I can keep track of.

All the same generally enjoying it so far as popcorny TV.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, I'm having kind of a weird time trying to make sense of some of the motivations in recent episodes, hoping there's a bit more sense to it in the weeks ahead. Also feeling some weird inconsistencies in character behaviours in continuity terms. Betty flip flops being nice/mad at/rebelling/cooperating/trusting/distrusting with her parents faster than I can keep track of.

I don't know if they're even aiming for that type of nuance with Betty of if it's just inconsistent writing, but I actually think her flip flopping in regards to her parents feels somewhat realistic. It's normal for teenagers to have contradictory feelings about their parents, especially in that kind of home where even though they're kooky and controlling there's still some type of love and a real drive to protect the family's best interests (as distorted as they can be). Definitely a different kind of environment than the Blossoms, where Penelope can be outright mean spirited.

Honestly, I think that's just Dark Betty coming out in random doses.

Dunlop

Skeet Ulrich is a treasure and I, to this day, am holding out for a Jericho revival on Netflix.
I would LOVE this, just retcon the condensed season 2 where they tried to conclude what was obviously a multi season story line in a few episodes.

I'm surprised at how much I am digging Riverdale.Agree that Archie is the least interesting character by far

Top Bottom