• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Most TV actors over 50 (men and women included) wear some type of hairpiece. His is just...particularly egregious
lol.gif
lol yeah, in the first episode he appeared I actually thought it was supposed to look bad/obvious for a second.

cj_iwakura

Me and the fiancee randomly watched the first episode of this on Netflix. It seemed absolutely terrible and cringe-worthy. Surprised to see the RT score and general positivity; do most people who like the series as a whole consider the first episode good?
Yep. Hits the ground running.

Want to echo the comments about Madchen Amick, she made those later scenes. Her I-can't-believe-you-tried-to-get-our-daughter-to-have-an-abortion eyes totally sold the whole thing.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Another great episode, but I think they missed out on some obvious character building moments.

-Why have Kevin, Moose and Joachim all together but don't play that up at all? Does Moose still like Kevin? And Kevin and Joachim are official now? (At least from Kevin's PoV.) Why aren't we seeing more of that then?

-And speaking of Kevin, I'd like to see more of his relationship with his dad. Again, missed opportunities. Wouldn't a father check in with his son after he was witness to a crime? (Moose's attack.) He barely looked at him. And Archie was trashing Kevin's dad and we don't get any reaction from Kevin about this? Particularly strange in an episode so focused on the relationships between parents and their children.

-That short scene with Val and Archie seemed totally tacked on. Then when Val was at the baby shower, why didn't she go over to Archie when he burst in? It made no sense, and now that short interaction between them seemed even weirder.

I'm not trying to be critical, as I enjoyed the episode, but it was a bit off putting to see these potential moments not get any play, to the detriment of the characters.

What ZeroX03 said is true. Kevin's actor is not in the main cast, so I think they use him more sparingly. That said, I absolutely agree with your complaints. First time we see Moose in forever, first time we see Joaquin again, and NOTHING? I totally expected at least ONE line or look or glance or whatever just to communicate what that dynamic is like. That would have been enough for me. I felt the same shortchanging regarding the rest of the gang apparently knowing Kevin is dating a Serpent and us not seeing how they react to that at all (or if his dad knows and how he feels).

I think what is happening is that Kevin as a character was given an actually interesting and somewhat complicated storyline (dating a Serpent, son of the sheriff who is seemingly disliked by a number of people for his connection to the Blossoms) and some great comedic moments while still only being played by someone billed as a recurring actor. I think his presence exceeds his billing. By comparison, Josie, a regular on the show, has an equally or less complex story than Kevin. I think it's a case of the writers being a bit too ambitious with how centrally placed they made Kevin. I only hope he becomes a regular next season.

Alongside Kevin, I think Veronica has recently been underused. The story has shifted increasingly into a family conflict mode (with a Cooper/Andrews/Jones/Blossom focus) and the recent Lodge storylines have really focused on Hermione without finding a good way of tying Veronica into these storylines better. I think Veronica needs to spend more time with either Archie, Betty, or Jughead because she feels like a bit of an outsider to the current plots.

Daddy Cooper actually has a backbone. He can go back to the top of the murder board.

Want to echo the comments about Madchen Amick, she made those later scenes. Her I-can't-believe-you-tried-to-get-our-daughter-to-have-an-abortion eyes totally sold the whole thing.

Agreed to both. Mama Cooper is a standout on the show, and I think it's largely because of how well the actress is portraying her intensity.

ZeroX03

Banned
The problem with doing a 13 episode show full of characters and plot is that they don't get the opportunity to slow down and do slower, character based episodes and a lot of character development or events are simply implied rather than shown. It affects more than just Kevin, every character is short changed in some way. If this were a 22 episode season we almost certainly would've had like an episode that explores the Jughead/Betty dynamic further, gay adventures with Kevin and the boys, Veronica shows the audience her sponsored makeup collection in depth etc.

Alongside Kevin, I think Veronica has recently been underused. The story has shifted increasingly into a family conflict mode (with a Cooper/Andrews/Jones/Blossom focus) and the recent Lodge storylines have really focused on Hermione without finding a good way of tying Veronica into these storylines better. I think Veronica needs to spend more time with either Archie, Betty, or Jughead because she feels like a bit of an outsider to the current plots.

I mean she is an outsider. To the town and these plots.

That'll drastically change next season when big bad Hiram arrives in town.

Me and the fiancee randomly watched the first episode of this on Netflix. It seemed absolutely terrible and cringe-worthy. Surprised to see the RT score and general positivity; do most people who like the series as a whole consider the first episode good?

The show is good, it just isn't for you. Move along.

eh I think the shorter season for CW is great. implied character development is fine for secondary ppl. focus on the main players here anyways.

great episode. Particularly love all the stuff that involves Jughead/Archie and their fathers. Never thought I'd be saying that at the start when I thought it was clearly a show that belonged to betty and veronica. Glad they got rid of Ms. Grundy. That stuff was a drag on the archie scenes.

Liking everybody in here now at this point, and it's pretty interesting that they're going forward with a jughead/betty relationship. the game has changed. Skeet Ulrich and Luke Perry are dope in here btw.

Fuu

Some stuff I saw on twitter from the show's panel at Wondercon 2017:

The writers would love to do a Halloween episode based on Afterlife with Archie. (not happening this season then)

Producers discussed looking at fan reception and what people respond to.

Roberto assures that Veronica is still a pussycat and that we will be
hearing Betty sing.

An upcoming episode will feature
Jughead's birthday, featuring an epic house party
which was the cast's favorite episode to shoot.

"Did you catch a cold, Luke?" "I caught a hot!" Luke Perry regarding Hermione and Fred's first kiss shot when Marisol Nichols was sick.

On Lilli, Camila: "She told me I was a good kisser", Cole: "She told me I was cold and sterile!".

KJ and Cole reflect on their romance – as Cole likes to call it instead of bromance.

"Can we get a cameo of Dylan Sprouse as Souphead?" Cole: "It will take A LOT of convincing." (Dylan is Cole's twin and Souphead is Jughead's cousin who looks nearly identical to him)

Roberto teases that
we will be seeing Jughead's mom and Hiram Lodge
in future episodes, one sooner rather than later.

Roberto seems very hopeful we will see
Jellybean in season 2.

Luke was the only one who guessed right on who Jason's killer was.

"No comment" when Roberto was asked about
Sabrina in season 2.
(this is so happening)

Roberto says "maybe" on potential
Ms Grundy return.

Cole wants Jughead to have a house, adopt Hot Dog and continue sleuthing. Camila looks forward to Veronica's interactions with Hiram.

Lilli wants more Dark Betty (the crowd cheers), KJ wants Archie to chill out, have a relationship and work on his friendship with Jughead.

If they could cast their own unseen parent, Camila picks Andy Garcia for Veronica's dad and Cole picks Eva Green for Jughead's mom.

C8Rll4AXgAEVg-z.jpg:large

C8Ru2VVUQAAzSX3.jpg:large

C8S5XxdV0AAsTvN.jpg:large

Any suggestions out there for Hiram Lodge?

I think Jimmy Smits would kill it tbh. Dude has been really entertaining in Get Down and even Dexter, he's got the asshole attitude nailed.

edit: Andy Garcia and Eva Green omg. Pipedreams for a CW show but that would be good too.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
-Why have Kevin, Moose and Joachim all together but don't play that up at all? Does Moose still like Kevin? And Kevin and Joachim are official now? (At least from Kevin's PoV.) Why aren't we seeing more of that then?

Seriously... wtf? So weird... why is Moose there at all? They're telling us that Kevin and the serpent are a thing but they really don't show us anything.

I cannot believe that they shoehorned Moose into this plot line (are Archie and him even friends?) and didn't play up anything between him and Kevin.

Fuu

Gary Oldman as Hiram would be absolute. Someone clone him.

Seriously... wtf? So weird... why is Moose there at all? They're telling us that Kevin and the serpent are a thing but they really don't show us anything.

I cannot believe that they shoehorned Moose into this plot line (are Archie and him even friends?) and didn't play up anything between him and Kevin.
I'm moderately hopeful they had Moose there because he'll eventually play a part in whatever happens now that it was revealed that the Serpents had Joaquin hook up with Kevin. The producers are certainly aware that there's a chunk of the audience that wants a bit more out of the gay relationships in the show, so we'll see.

And speaking of Moose, his upcoming one-shot comic looks hilarious.

C8QWaIaWAAAcB6V.jpg:large

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm moderately hopeful they had Moose there because he'll eventually play a part in whatever happens now that it was revealed that the Serpents had Joaquin hook up with Kevin. The producers are certainly aware that there's a chunk of the audience that wants a bit more out of the gay relationships in the show, so we'll see.

That stuff will definitely come in to play in the future, but I saw Moose was with them and thought "finally they'll get a scene together".... nope

Fuu

ohh I didn't know the show had an official podcast. So far there was one released for each episode except the first one. I'll give these a listen later.

http://riverdale.libsyn.com/

Chapter 2: A Touch of Evil with creator and show runner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

Chapter 3: Body Double with writer Yolonda Lawrence

Chapter 4: The Last Picture Show with Associate Producer Amy Myrold and Editor Dan Holland

Very Special Episode with President of Berlanti Productions and Executive Producer of RIVERDALE Sarah Schechter

Chapter 5: Heart of Darkness with actors Lili Reinhart (Betty Cooper) & Madelaine Petsch (Cheryl Blossom)

Chapter 6: Faster Pussycats, Kill! Kill! with actor Ashleigh Murray (Josie McCoy)

Chapter 7: In A Lonely Place with actors Mädchen Amick (Alice Cooper) & Nathalie Boltt (Penelope Blossom)

Chapter 8: The Outsiders with Casting Director, David Rapaport

That stuff will definitely come in to play in the future, but I saw Moose was with them and thought "finally they'll get a scene together".... nope
Yeah, I was disappointed too. Even a sideways glance would have been good enough.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with doing a 13 episode show full of characters and plot is that they don't get the opportunity to slow down and do slower, character based episodes and a lot of character development or events are simply implied rather than shown. It affects more than just Kevin, every character is short changed in some way. If this were a 22 episode season we almost certainly would've had like an episode that explores the Jughead/Betty dynamic further, gay adventures with Kevin and the boys, Veronica shows the audience her sponsored makeup collection in depth etc.

I mean she is an outsider. To the town and these plots.

That'll drastically change next season when big bad Hiram arrives in town.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. A lot of the less-used characters have aspects of their stories that were teased but not explored or even shown (for example, Josie and Cheryl are supposedly friends, but that hasn't really been sold in any way). So far, I feel that they set up more than they're able to show.

However, in the case of Veronica, I think the undeniable fact that she's an outsider makes her distance from the storylines even weirder. If she's not hanging out with Bughead to work on the mystery or with Archie after school, how exactly is she spending her time in a town where she knows no one? I suppose she's rehearsing with the Pussycats and hanging out with Kevin? The baby shower was a way of getting her involved, but the Betty/Veronica and Archie/Veronica friendships that the show opened with seemed weaker. I would think her status as an outsider would have made her cling to her few friends more. Perhaps the Pussycats really are keeping her busy.

ohh I didn't know the show had an official podcast. So far there was one released for each episode except the first one. I'll give these a listen later.

Please post here if you end up enjoying it and you think it's worth listening to.

Fuu

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. A lot of the less-used characters have aspects of their stories that were teased but not explored or even shown (for example, Josie and Cheryl are supposedly friends, but that hasn't really been sold in any way). So far, I feel that they set up more than they're able to show.

However, in the case of Veronica, I think the undeniable fact that she's an outsider makes her distance from the storylines even weirder. If she's not hanging out with Bughead to work on the mystery or with Archie after school, how exactly is she spending her time in a town where she knows no one? I suppose she's rehearsing with the Pussycats and hanging out with Kevin? The baby shower was a way of getting her involved, but the Betty/Veronica and Archie/Veronica friendships that the show opened with seemed weaker. I would think her status as an outsider would have made her cling to her few friends more. Perhaps the Pussycats really are keeping her busy.
Regarding Veronica, there was something that was said on the panel that I didn't include in the post above:

"The love triangle of Archie Jughead Betty was planned early on to take the place of the Archie Betty Veronica triangle."

I think that also plays a part in what's making Veronica feel a little detached. I'm curious how this will develop. We got a hint that the AJB triangle might start flourishing soon with that look Archie gave Jughead and Betty when the word "boyfriend" was used.

Please post here if you end up enjoying it and you think it's worth listening to.
Will do!

So, now I'm caught up.

Firstly: Eva Green as Jughead's mom would be amazing.

eva-green-miss-pererines-home-movie.jpg

Okay, so I'm caught up.

Observations:

- This is one of the few times where I feel like 13 a season might not be enough. I love Betty/Veronica and Betty/Jughead, and I want to see more of Ride and Die B/V.

- lol, Archie's troubles are pretty realistic for a teen, but so paltry compared to everyone else. I did like him in the latest episode. The stuff with him and his dad is consistently great

- Skeet Ulrich!? As Jughead's deadbeat criminal biker father!? Absolutely perfect.

- Love the Brick/JGL-Holden Caulfield take on Jughead. I'm pretending this takes place in the same universes as Brick twenty years later.

Great movie.

- I really love all the film and television shoutouts like to Brick and Brian De Palma and stuff. It's really cool. This show is like a subversive take on traditional teen soap operas, then you blend in all these crime influences, and then you just make it really, really good.

- Betty's mom is consistently awful, but I really came around to her in the last episode. That ending was amazing. Fuck Hal.

- So Jason Blossom was... good?

- Cheryl Blossom is evil, but so compelling to watch.

- I like that they take tired cliches and either immediately comment on and ditch them or subvert them.

- Some really good music choices

- Everyone's so pretty.

Chapter 2: A Touch of Evil with creator and show runner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

Chapter 3: Body Double with writer Yolonda Lawrence

Chapter 4: The Last Picture Show with Associate Producer Amy Myrold and Editor Dan Holland

Very Special Episode with President of Berlanti Productions and Executive Producer of RIVERDALE Sarah Schechter

Chapter 5: Heart of Darkness with actors Lili Reinhart (Betty Cooper) & Madelaine Petsch (Cheryl Blossom)

Chapter 6: Faster Pussycats, Kill! Kill! with actor Ashleigh Murray (Josie McCoy)

Chapter 7: In A Lonely Place with actors Mädchen Amick (Alice Cooper) & Nathalie Boltt (Penelope Blossom)

Chapter 8: The Outsiders with Casting Director, David Rapaport

Yeah, I was disappointed too. Even a sideways glance would have been good enough.

That's neat! I didn't know that.

Joni

"Can we get a cameo of Dylan Sprouse as Souphead?" Cole: "It will take A LOT of convincing." (Dylan is Cole's twin and Souphead is Jughead's cousin who looks nearly identical to him)

Cole already knows who can convince his brother.

screen-shot-2016-06-06-at-12-47-36-pm.png

Slaythe

Ok so I'm not sure what happened, I feel like I quit this show months ago, but somehow had only 2 episodes to catch up with ?

Those were good episodes. I quit because I had lost interest despite the strong cast, and it also felt like they were falling for every single "CW show" tropes and it got on my nerves given the potential.

I wouldn't say they moved past that, but the writing and acting are really good so it makes me forgive it.

Dahbomb

God damn Polly with the heel turn at the end leaving her family hanging.

Alice Cooper actually felt like a redeemable person in this episode, now it's the father who is the 100% asshole.

I am liking the shades of grey the cast are showing (well for some of them at least). Even Jughead's dead showed he isn't a complete PoS.

Archie is the worst part of the show weirdly.

Kevin is the best. Him and Veronica. He should be main character level.

Also Josie has main billing? Lol why. She's barely in it.

This was a fantastic episode. My only real problem was how obvious it was that they were trying to avoid saying the word abortion with the whole 'doctor's appointment' thing.

The CW should get Jaime Camil to play Hiram Lodge, he's already on one of their shows. I'm sure he can pull of a great villain hiding behind a mask of charm.

kMPvdPl.jpg

DominoKid

Either 13 at once. Or 8 fall and 8 spring like Empire. The fuckery has to be condensed.

HTGAWM does like 10 fall and 6 spring IIRC but the spring flies by. I don't like that.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'd love to see 16 episode seasons. I think for CW style madcap antics it's a good number. 13 just isn't feeling like enough, while 22 episodes would make it a very different experience.

The CW should get Jaime Camil to play Hiram Lodge, he's already on one of their shows. I'm sure he can pull of a great villain hiding behind a mask of charm.

kMPvdPl.jpg

He's way too likable. Also doing full seasons on Jane makes it hard for him to do more than the occasional guest spot.

This was a fantastic episode. My only real problem was how obvious it was that they were trying to avoid saying the word abortion with the whole 'doctor's appointment' thing.

Especially funny because Jane used the word abortion in a near throwaway manner earlier this season.

cinco

Just caught up on Thursdays ep. Squarely on Team Betty now. She's just a down ass chick lol. Cheryl will always be bae though. 👀

LakeEarth

This episode danced around the word 'abortion' so hard. I'm pretty sure they never said the word once despite the topic being brought up multiple times.

ZeroX03

Banned
This episode danced around the word 'abortion' so hard. I'm pretty sure they never said the word once despite the topic being brought up multiple times.

No they didn't. It was weirdly 90s throwback. I'm not sure why they avoided it, maybe because the show is broadcast everywhere thanks to Netflix but I don't think Netflix really cares. It's not like The CW has any objection to it.

LakeEarth

No they didn't. It was weirdly 90s throwback. I'm not sure why they avoided it, maybe because the show is broadcast everywhere thanks to Netflix but I don't think Netflix really cares. It's not like The CW has any objection to it.
Netflix has carried movies with real sex acts in it, and the CW is currently showing The 100 which is filled with violent as fuck subject matter, so I can't even guess what the problem was last episode.

Fuu

Was it really a self-censoring thing? After all the word "abortion" was said at least once in the episode.

While watching I just thought that both Polly and Alice felt terrified of explicitly talking about it, each for their own reasons.

I'm guessing it was a case of Alice and Hal trying to assuage their guilt about it by refusing to call a spade a spade. At least, that's the best I can come up with

ryseing

I forgot how much I needed weekly soap goodness in my veins. I'm always down for Cooper/Blossom shenanigans, plus we got Luke Perry/Skeet Ulrich confrontations. That fucking Serpent bar was corny in all the right ways.

I do agree the 13 episode order is actually harming the show. I normally prefer shorter seasons but shows like this with large ensembles need the extra time. There hasn't been a single football game scene!

Just marathoned all eight episodes on a whim, spurred on by the glowing recommendations in this thread and the show is excellent! Loving it so far, feels like an awesome years later replacement for The OC. Great cast and some touching character moments. It's also supremely addictive. By about episode three I was hooked and was compelled to watch the rest. Really enjoyed it! Love discovering a new show and it turns out to be excellent. I'll be avidly tuning in every week now. Best new show of the year so far for me.

Also the track playing in the baby shower (most recent episode) was just beautiful. It's an Our House cover by Anna of the North. Here it is for those who liked the track.

DominoKid

its a dirty word in a lot of households. makes sense with the uptight Coopers. especially since he made Alice get one.

Truant

Binged this on netflix today. The show has taken on a more serious / straight tone after the initial episodes, and I'm not sure I like the shift.

The weirdness and mysterious vibe of the first three episodes were fantastic, and I prefer the focus on the teenagers and the school during the early parts. The later episodes have focused too much on the adults, and it weakens the show.

daemonic

Banned
Binged this on netflix today. The show has taken on a more serious / straight tone after the initial episodes, and I'm not sure I like the shift.

The weirdness and mysterious vibe of the first three episodes were fantastic, and I prefer the focus on the teenagers and the school during the early parts. The later episodes have focused too much on the adults, and it weakens the show.

Agreed. There is much less of a focus on the teens at school and their personal relationships. They started to develop Archie and co. characters in the early episodes and now the show focuses primarily on drama between the adults. In addition, everything is about Polly, which incidentally may as well be the new name of the show.

Mortemis

Banned
Yeah, I kinda wanna get back into the school shenanigans and have more focus on Veronica. Other than that I've been really enjoying this.

ZeroX03

Banned
Archiekins continues his lovable dumb streak on tonight's new Riverdale!

#1.09 "Chapter Nine: La Grande Illusion"
Episode Promo
ULTERIOR MOTIVES - Archie (KJ Apa) reluctantly agrees to escort Cheryl (Madelaine Petsch) to her family's official start of maple syrup tapping because he gets an offer that could help his future. Archie starts to become skeptical of the real reason the Blossoms are so eager to help him, however he gets some helpful information for Betty (Lili Reinhart) about her sister. Veronica (Camila Mendes) is trying to be nice and unbeknownst to her, befriends a classmate that her father's illegal doings has hurt. Hermione (Marisol Nichols) is conflicted about telling Fred (Luke Perry) the truth. Meanwhile, Alice (Madchen Amick) is ready to get revenge on the Blossoms once and for all with the help of her two daughters. Cole Sprouse also stars. Lee Rose directed the episode written by James DeWille.
riverdale-01x09-b-0387b-238861.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Finally​ watched Episode 8. Poor Moose. Damn Canadian hooligans. Hope they catch them and literally pull a "Stay out of Riverdale!"

Oh, and I like how Jason literally got drugs from the wrong side of the tracks lol.

Hal Cooper's balls came out of hiding too. *Moves up in Killer Ranking* Like someone else pointed out, that actor tends to play overbearing and pushy characters so it was only a matter of time.

Archie isn't about that "Bughead" life. He got a fine woman on his arm but if someone mentions Betty and Jughead *boom* Sour look on his face. Smh

just watching last week's episode. when did Kevin get a bf? lol.

then again who know betty has a bf too.

goddamn archie trying to get his beautiful face busted.

EDIT: doh. Poor Kevin

Top Bottom