• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockband 4 Instrument Compatibilty.

cyba89

Shame they could not get them to work across console families. I will not buy RB4 because of that.
I have a 360 Warriors of Rock-guitar and I won't sell it because of my large DLC library I have for GH. I also don't want to buy a RB4 guitar in addition to that because the bundle is really expensive here and I don't want more plastic intruments taking up space.

Sephzilla

I'm more interested in how legacy DLC is going to work. All of my rock band stuff from last gen was on 360 but now i'm on PS4

I'm more interested in how legacy DLC is going to work. All of my rock band stuff from last gen was on 360 but now i'm on PS4

Then you're not going to be able to bring any old DLC into your game. It's only within the same console family.

Has Harmonix detailed if there are any improvements to the RB4 drums compared the 3 or Beatles kits? Better pads or anything?

Sawneeks

Banned
Question about the legacy DLC. I was a GH player and I'm planning on buy RB4 when it releases so is there any way for me to buy the old DLC without having to purchase the past RB games?

My PS3 GH3 Les Pauls i picked up on the cheap earlier this year work, and I couldn't be more thrilled. Losing a lot of DLC from the 360, but it's not worth buying a Xbone over.

NaviLink

That list is a bit of a mess, I wish they had included a picture of each instrument on the chart to make it easier.

If I'm not mistaken, the drums in the Band Hero bundle are the same as Guitar World Tour, which would mean they're wireless and compatible?

Question about the legacy DLC. I was a GH player and I'm planning on buy RB4 when it releases so is there any way for me to buy the old DLC without having to purchase the past RB games?

Yes, I believe you can buy old tracks from Xbox Live and PSN freely, and more or less all non-RBN tracks that are currently available for purchase will be available for purchase on the new consoles as well. You won't be able to get Rock Band 1's songs without the disc, however, and it appears that the exports for Rock Band 2 and Lego Rock Band's respective track lists are no longer available.

So will my PS3 warriors of rock guitar work on the PS4 version?

No.

I thankfully still have the PS3 instruments that I bought since the first Rock Band.

Although I gave my drum controller's stand to my cousin thinking controller wasn't responding well, only to check recently that it still does work well; my cousin wound up throwing away my stands w/o me knowing. -_-

Quite frankly, my cousin gave me a Rock Band 2 guitar controller... W/O the dongle, which presumably was also thrown away. And my extra RB1 guitar dongle doesn't work with that specific guitar controller.

Which means I'm going to have to go through the trouble of buying a new guitar dongle (which are absurdly priced at eBay) and new drum stands.

Nonetheless, great news regarding controller compatibility.

Sawneeks

Banned
Yes, I believe you can buy old tracks from Xbox Live and PSN freely, and more or less all non-RBN tracks that are currently available for purchase will be available for purchase on the new consoles as well. You won't be able to get Rock Band 1's songs without the disc, however, and it appears that the exports for Rock Band 2 and Lego Rock Band's respective track lists are no longer available.

Awesome, thanks man!

Just saw the price of the bundle today, jesus christ Rock Band bundles weren't that expensive were they? Is it that jacked to make up for the potential losses due to the rhythm genre having less user base now? Completely turned off by this now as drums are really the only instrument I use, and my old kit bit the dust awhile back. Wish I could find the GHWT wireless ones (with the circular cymbals) for not outrageous prices. Would be great if they offered different bundles, guitar only, drums only, etc.

jersoc

This is the only reason I'm buying an xbone. It sort of sucks, but there's no way I can give up hundreds of DLC songs + all the game songs. That's just way too much songs imo. I think this holiday xbones will be cheap as fuck. so I'm holding out. Can I just get a 1tb w/o all those shitty games as bundles, ms?

All indications given so far are that the Ions will NOT be supported at launch, but may be supported at a future date (heavy emphasis on MAYBE). I think we've heard even less about the MIDI Pro Adapter that could conceivably be used to plug an electronic drum kit into your console.

For now I would assume your fancy drums will not work at launch, and possibly not ever.

I'll say it again, no pro mode, no buy...

They don't even support the Pro Guitar and Pro Keys peripherals from last game... C'mon guys, at the very least make them usable as regular 5 button guitars...

Sephzilla

Then you're not going to be able to bring any old DLC into your game. It's only within the same console family.

Has Harmonix detailed if there are any improvements to the RB4 drums compared the 3 or Beatles kits? Better pads or anything?

Either rebuy the DLC, buy an XB1 or you are SOL

This is the only reason I'm buying an xbone. It sort of sucks, but there's no way I can give up hundreds of DLC songs + all the game songs. That's just way too much songs imo. I think this holiday xbones will be cheap as fuck. so I'm holding out. Can I just get a 1tb w/o all those shitty games as bundles, ms?

Are the songs from the previous games going to be available for porting upwards into the new versions? Or is it going to only be the songs that were DLC?

Neoxon

I'll say it again, no pro mode, no buy...

They don't even support the Pro Guitar and Pro Keys peripherals from last game... C'mon guys, at the very least make them usable as regular 5 button guitars...
Pro Drums is an option in the game, but the rest aren't in right now. Though as someone said in this thread, Harmonix could add Pro Guitar & the Keyboard back in at a later date (though smart money's on the keyboard being the first to make a return, if any).

ElNino

Are the songs from the previous games going to be available for porting upwards into the new versions? Or is it going to only be the songs that were DLC?
If you had already exported RB1 and/or RB2 (or GD/Lego), then those songs were already handled as DLC in RB3. The RB3 export is the one that hasn't been handled yet.

Well according to this all Wired guitars (which are the only ones I own) from Rock band 1 and 2 are not compatible. WTF I HATE BATTERIES.

Now it looks like I'll stick with my RB3 xbox360 setup, plenty of free user-created "DLC/songs" to play, thanks to RB3 Customs

Lady Gaia

I'm pleasantly surprised and tentatively scheduled excited about the PS4 version supporting wired drums. As I understand it, the MIDI Pro Adapter in drum mode just identities itself as a wired drum kit. If so, I'm saved. I couldn't imagine stepping back to the official kit but I'd love to get some RB4 on with my Roland drums. I've even ordered a PS3 MPA just in case...

Of course it means I'll have to buy DLC all over again, but for the track count I have it's about the same as the cost of an Xbox One which I don't own. Microsoft missed an opportunity to bring me into the fold with DLC compatibility, but blew it with tight peripheral control.

Riptwo

I get why most of my old instruments and songs won't port from the 360 to the PS4 version of the game, but it doesn't exactly make RB4 super enticing. Dibs out!

Just saw the price of the bundle today, jesus christ Rock Band bundles weren't that expensive were they? Is it that jacked to make up for the potential losses due to the rhythm genre having less user base now? Completely turned off by this now as drums are really the only instrument I use, and my old kit bit the dust awhile back. Wish I could find the GHWT wireless ones (with the circular cymbals) for not outrageous prices. Would be great if they offered different bundles, guitar only, drums only, etc.

They'll have standalone instruments available in early 2016, so you could just get the drums and a copy of the game if you're willing to wait.

xzeldax3

It sucks that Microsoft had to do proprietary wireless bullshit on the 360 so XB1 users now require an adapter. I need a new guitar but want to use my old drums. The adapter probably won't be available at launch so I'm going to have to choose between a new guitar+game, game+adapter for drums, or digital copy and just sing until I can get the adapter and guitar stand alone in 2016.

I wish I could get a guitar+game+adapter bundle for $150.

_woLf

It really makes no sense to me that the bundle is as expensive as it is when it doesn't include the adapter.

You'd think that would be the least they could do. :(

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You know, they could have made that list a lot easier to parse. As it is, it's chronologically unsorted and a mess.

Summary:

Wireless guitars work like this:
PS2/PS3 -> PS4
XB360 -> XB1
Wired guitars be fucked? (But the ONLY USB wired guitar was the GH2 on Xbox 360)

Wired Drums work on PS4

All mics work.

No word yet on IONs.

What. My 360 Rockband 2 guitar is wired.

SFenton

It's a bummer if that's a dealbreaker, but man those RB1 drums were so terrible. It's worth getting the better updated set.

In general I agree, but my RB1 PS2 drums were *perfect*.

Then I upgraded to Wii and it all went to shit. So many RMAs.

Allforce

Yeah this "list" is really confusing. I own the original RB1 set for 360. Everything is wired. Yet the list only shows the "drums" as being wired....and they won't work? So I'm assuming the wired guitar won't work either.

All that stuff still works great too, which is a shame since now it's pretty much just worthless. I guess I could still use the microphone for duets and stuff but big bummer all around. I was hoping to just continue using all my 360 stuff on the XB1 and not have to spring for 250 dollar set.

No.

You can purchase the export file for Rock Band on the PSN.

My question is how do the songs get transfered over from PS3? Do you need the disc?

Im in the same boat. Was 360 last gen but going PS4 this gen.

If they don't support the Ions, I'm out. I've spent well over $1k customizing my set just to play RB3 and I'm not about to chuck that out to play on the crappier plastic kits.

Aspiring

If they don't support the Ions, I'm out. I've spent well over $1k customizing my set just to play RB3 and I'm not about to chuck that out to play on the crappier plastic kits.

Same. I have RB1 drums and ION kit and there is no way I'm having another set lying around, and both of these will nor work? Unfortunately if that's the case I am out. Sorry HMX.

Bsigg12

Same. I have RB1 drums and ION kit and there is no way I'm having another set lying around, and both of these will nor work? Unfortunately if that's the case I am out. Sorry HMX.

From everything they have said, it's up to Ion to add support.

Aspiring

From everything they have said, it's up to Ion to add support.

Maybe but you don't think they could help push it along? There not wireless they are wired so shouldn't be too big a hassle should it? I also own around 900 DLC songs or something so would love to buy it, but fact is I can't have any more plastic toys lying around. Especially when I have a set like the ION lying around. It may be up to Ion to add support but HMX knows what it takes and should be doing everything to help that happen.

Maybe but you don't think they could help push it along? There not wireless they are wired so shouldn't be too big a hassle should it? I also own around 900 DLC songs or something so would love to buy it, but fact is I can't have any more plastic toys lying around. Especially when I have a set like the ION lying around. It may be up to Ion to add support but HMX knows what it takes and should be doing everything to help that happen.

Do you really think they're not trying? If the hold up is on Ion's end, there's not much more they can do about it other than get people to hound Ion to prove it's worth their attention.

Top Bottom