• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny DLC Plans leak. Major addon "Comet: Plague of Darkness" coming sep. 15

Simo

Yea without a doubt they have to add matchmaking for weeklies and raids. It's bullshit that I have to go to a site to find a raid or go to different forums to find a raid. I should not have to do that. I know what chance I'm taking by joining a matchmade one. I'm willingly taking that chance. Hell put up a disclaimer then when you join it saying hey you know this is likely to be a fail group. You've been warned. I hope Bungie listens and eventually does do this.

They don't need matchmaking for Raids. How about actually going to the social hub in the game and you know, being social?

I did that and now through doing so I have a large network of buddies and their friends, who in turn I introduced to my IRL friends I mainly played Destiny with, so I never have a problem of not having enough players for the Weekly, Nightfall and Raid.

pj

Banned
Are you a dev? Worked on raids before or anything you're speaking on?

If not, Why say it shouldn't be hard at all?

I'm a non-game software engineer and I've read white papers on matchmaking (including bungie's for halo). I don't know 100%, but I'd bet a lot of money they could do it in a week if they wanted to.

Even if it's hard, there's no reason bungie couldn't do it. I'm sure lots of things in destiny were hard. I think we can all agree the limited matchmaking was a choice.

BokehKing

Banned
I'm a non-game software engineer and I've read white papers on matchmaking (including bungie's for halo). I don't know 100%, but I'd bet a lot of money they could do it in a week if they wanted to.

Even if it's hard, there's no reason bungie couldn't do it. I'm sure lots of things in destiny were hard. I think we can all agree the limited matchmaking was a choice.
Sure there is, there is always reasons not to do something

I think hawkain explained the reasoning perfec on the previous page though

(sorry for doubting your creds btw)

netguy503

Here's hoping Bungie can pull off even a partial Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls like transformation to the game's systems by the time Comet rolls around.

Destiny + the two smaller DLC packs + Comet will probably end up being the right amount of content the game should have shipped with on day one. Short of that though, it may finally be enough content to support their original progression models. If so I might jump back in at that point, otherwise I'll just keep tabs on Destiny 2.

Edit: And as this is somehow about raids and matchmaking, consider me pro matchmaking. Just allow the party leader to boot players and bring in new matchmaking picks at each checkpoint to fill out the team.

I think you have to be lvl 30 for Comet so if you have jump shipped for that long you will be boned.

With Halo 5, Black Ops 3, Uncharted 4 and a new Battlefield all hitting this year I can only see the popularity of Destiny nose diving. September seems so far away when it comes to significant new content.

You think those titles will have more legs than Destiny? Bungie expects you to play Destiny in addition to your main game/s of choice.

Maybe I'm one of the few that hasn't burnt out on the game. It's still fun, I've been level 20 for like two months and I've only played about 20% of the story missions on Venus.

I'll end up owning all of their DLC releases even though Destiny didn't meet my initial expectations.

I'll own and FINISH Uncharted 4 when it comes out but I have no doubt I'll still be playing Destiny a loooooooooooooooooong time after I've given up on Uncharted 4. That's what Bungie is counting on and I don't see how they are losing with that business plan.

Actually, the only part that still pisses me off about Destiny is the lack of true story to drive my exploration/combat.

pj

Banned
There is a lot of hidden matchmaking stuff going on in Destiny that most people don't realize is actually matchmaking. You know that giant loading screen you see when you're just going to the tower? There is some matchmaking going on behind the scenes. Even after you've found a group of 12 for PvP, when you start up that loading screen Bungie is running matchmaking tests in the background to see who should be the host of the group for the best performance. Even something as simple as changing zones on a planet incorporates matchmaking.

Yes I am aware of all that. That has no bearing on the lack of matchmaking for story missions and daily/weekly heroic. In fact the near ubiquity of matchmaking makes the spots without it even more glaring.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Amount of content doesn't matter as much as replayability. I've spent about 400 hours in the game myself, my wife closer to 320 hours.

I can still tell you exactly how much of WoW's content I touched after I hit level 60.

If mere replayability is your bag, then I still don't see how you could conclude that Destiny offers good value for money. I've spent over 400 hours playing Dota 2 and the amount of money I needed to spend on it for the gameplay content was $0.00. There are plenty of games that offer an enormous amount of replayability but which don't ask you to shell out above and beyond the original asking price for a meagre amount of new content dribbled in bi-monthly.

And in terms of content Destiny comes up a cropper again compared with something like an MMO.

I'm not denying that you're welcome to enjoy the game. My only objection is that the monetisation scheme resembles extortion.

ElRenoRaven

B-b-b-but adding matchmaking certainly means all your teammates go AFK or are complete dumbasses!!

Yea considering that half the time LFG folks end up doing that shit It would be no different then it is now. Hell even folks I did have on my friends list pulled that shit at times. BTW I know you're being sarcastic but just wanted to reply. lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yea considering that half the time LFG folks end up doing that shit It would be no different then it is now. Hell even folks I did have on my friends list pulled that shit at times. BTW I know you're being sarcastic but just wanted to reply. lol
B-b-b-but adding matchmaking certainly means all your teammates go AFK or are complete dumbasses!!
Please state your opposition to an in-game LFG/fireteam posting tool.

Tomeru

Funny to see some people offended yet at the end of the day this is probably the self-acknowledgment they would come to without any of the bullshit dialogue surrounding the game from either "side".

Offended in what manner?

Self-acknowledgement: Realising that all games are, in fact, situational. Each game fits a state of mind in life. I work 8 hours a day in retail. I come home mentally tired. Hop on destiny for some awesome co op time with my close buddies. We have awesome time. We all have almost every piece of gear and did every piece of content. We understand the game is not perfect. So what? We are having a fucking blast EVERY DAY. Every fucken day.

And will for the forseeable future.

When no one is online, I play me some Dragon Age.

Destiny is fucking awesome.

I think you have to be lvl 30 for Comet so if you have jump shipped for that long you will be boned.
If they take some bits from Diablo 3: ROS like the apprentice system (party auto-balancing to the party leader's level) then maybe not. I honestly believe that *all* games with strict leveling systems should include a system along those lines.

If mere replayability is your bag, then I still don't see how you could conclude that Destiny offers good value for money. I've spent over 400 hours playing Dota 2 and the amount of money I needed to spend on it for the gameplay content was $0.00. There are plenty of games that offer an enormous amount of replayability but which don't ask you to shell out above and beyond the original asking price every few months for a meagre amount of new content.

And in terms of content Destiny comes up a cropper again compared with something like an MMO.

I'm not denying that you're welcome to enjoy the game. My only objection is that the monetisation scheme resembles extortion.

Extortion? Really? Do you think we could have an actual conversation without exaggerating points and key words for impact?

If you enjoyed Dota, good for you. I really hope you got your "monies" worth out of it. DotA never struck me the right way, but I played a butt-ton of Super Monday Night Combat. And I certainly got my "monies" worth out of it as well.

Obviously every person is going to value money differently, so it's not really a conversation worth diving into.

My whole point was just that all these people adding up the "true cost" of what it would take to play all the content of destiny and then acting as though that is an upfront cost all at once, and not spread out over the course of 24 months. Which I still feel people are ignoring/not taking into consideration.

patchday

Had lots of fun hours with Destiny but dramatically cut back on my playtime once I saw a lot of the disrespectful changes the devs made such as resetting exotics to upgrade them. Also, they made sure to delay fixing resource farming til the new TDB DLC (stretching out playtime).

And oh, I wasted hours at that last "Pre-DLC Iron Banner" event to acquire the assets to hit L30. Only for the DLC to drop 2 weeks later which made it easy for everyone to hit L31.

I lost my will to grind out all that stuff since the next DLC will just wipe it all completely clean anyway. Just makes no sense too me.

I do still occasionally hop on to play with GAF though. Hoping this game will improve. Just need to change a few core things like raising glimmer caps, promise not to wipe exotic weapon progress, etc

So the only reference Mercury will ever get in "Destiny 1" is a PVP map, despite being shown early on as one of the playable areas.. Still no Chicago...

The design decisions make my head hurt. I have no idea what's going on over at Bungie, but... Something ain't right. It's becoming more and more apparent that the rumors about content being cut from the retail release are true, but what happened to all of the stuff we already saw?

Most of this shoulda been in the game.

hiryu

I hope it's true. I do love Destiny. I think the Dark Below is great and the idea of a major expansion that resets things sounds good to me.

BokehKing

Banned
No one leaves my party when I use LFG
I know those people are in it for the long journey ahead

Matchmaking in strikes?

People going afk at boss fights so you can do all the hard work

Going afk in strikes

Lack of matchmaking forces me to play with people who are in it to won it or die a couple 100 times trying

I might get an "Ultimate Edition" of this, once they've finished adding DLC.

It's a fun game, but I won't be getting any more stuff on release. The high price and slow drip-feeding of extra content is pretty awful, especially combined with obsoleting or upgrading+re-grinding the old items with every minor release.

It's sad that the game structure seems unlikely to change. Tower NPC bounties and a few lines of dialogue, with "defend the X" or "kill all the X" mission design.

Hopefully, Destiny 2 will have a more populated world with an interesting story and actual NPC interactions that go beyond "press square to trade".

Trade ? I wouldn't get my hopes up ...

A raid that includes new players needs to take certain considerations for them. There's no method by which to provide these considerations with blind matchmaking. The response to this is usually that it should be matchmaking with some kind of filtering and prerequisites such as already having beaten the raid or needing to have a mic or slotting only into certain checkpoints. But these are convoluted half-solutions that do box out certain players for whom getting into groups should still be a viable option, and none of them even provide the full functionality that a simple grouping board would.

You post for a group, with a description of what you want to do and how, and other people who are interested in doing what you're doing can join it. No more than that is needed, and this would work for the raid, weekly strikes, story missions, special bounty tasks, and so on.

How would a grouping board be better for new players though? How would a new player board-matchmaking for 5 be any different than blind matchmaking for 5?

So the only reference Mercury will ever get in "Destiny 1" is a PVP map, despite being shown early on as one of the playable areas.. Still no Chicago...

The design decisions make my head hurt. I have no idea what's going on over at Bungie, but... Something ain't right. It's becoming more and more apparent that the rumors about content being cut from the retail release are true, but what happened to all of the stuff we already saw?

It's not complicated. Bungie has a history of biting off more than they can chew. Originally everything in Halo 3 was planned to be in Halo 2. Just like I'm sure most of these planets/destinations that we are missing will likely show up in Destiny 2.

It's not that content was cut, it's that Bungie did what they always do and got in over their heads, delayed the game as long as they could, and eventually had to put out a product. They did the same thing with Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo Reach.

The expansion will be $60, mark my words. They should have heavily discounted the dlc to give back some good will.

There probably will be a $60 version that includes the base game and the first two expansions.

There will also probably be a $30 version that is just the comet update for those of us who already own everything else.

Please state your opposition to an in-game LFG/fireteam posting tool.

That would be fine. Having to go outside of the game and resort to third party websites to find a group is just plain stupid for the type of game Bungie is going for. There's a whole tower zone filled with other players and it literally serves no purpose.

Add am IN GAME LFG board in the tower, a matchmaking lobby system with vote kicks, ANYTHING.

Deadstar

I really liked Brad's idea on he bombcast of having low level exotics. It gives you a taste of what is to come.

There probably will be a $60 version that includes the base game and the first two expansions.

There will also probably be a $30 version that is just the comet update for those of us who already own everything else.

If the small expansions were $20, I doubt they will sell the huge expansion for $30, unless they want to make people happy.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Extortion? Really? Do you think we could have an actual conversation without exaggerating points and key words for impact?

If you enjoyed Dota, good for you. I really hope you got your "monies" worth out of it. DotA never struck me the right way, but I played a butt-ton of Super Monday Night Combat. And I certainly got my "monies" worth out of it as well.

Obviously every person is going to value money differently, so it's not really a conversation worth diving into.

My whole point was just that all these people adding up the "true cost" of what it would take to play all the content of destiny and then acting as though that is an upfront cost all at once, and not spread out over the course of 24 months. Which I still feel people are ignoring/not taking into consideration.

Yes, and my point is that, since we can't really measure whether you personally play it for 400 hours or whatever, then the most sensible comparison point is the amount of content that you get, and in that case treating Destiny as an MMO with a monthy fee is still going to leave it trailing an actual MMO with an actual monthly fee. I simply don't see any sense in which Destiny is good value for money.

BokehKing

Banned
How would a grouping board be better for new players though? How would a new player board-matchmaking for 5 be any different than blind matchmaking for 5?
The trust and determination they are in it to win it

You don't want to blind match make with people bounce the moment they get frustrated or their microwave is done cooking their food

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Comet has substantially less content than I expected. No planets added at all?

Wake me up for Destiny 2.

I really liked Brad's idea on he bombcast of having low level exotics. It gives you a taste of what is to come.

If the small expansions were $20, I doubt they will sell the huge expansion for $30, unless they want to make people happy.

If the OP is right, it has a little more content that both Dark Below and House of Wolves combined. Which together cost $35. So yeah, I could see $40.

Comet has substantially less content than I expected. No planets added at all?

Wake me up for Destiny 2.

Comet seems to be what the $20 DLC packs should have been but I will guess cost at least $40.

Seeing how much they seem to be under delivering on value with Destiny though I can see them going $60 for it

Deku Tree

We do have those. They are called Legendaries.

BokehKing

Banned
That would be fine. Having to go outside of the game and resort to third party websites to find a group is just plain stupid for the type of game Bungie is going for. There's a whole tower zone filled with other players and it literally serves no purpose.

Add am IN GAME LFG board in the tower, a matchmaking lobby system with vote kicks, ANYTHING.
That's all well and good but won't happen until destiny 2/2016

Pimpwerx

Had lots of fun hours with Destiny but dramatically cut back on my playtime once I saw a lot of the disrespectful changes the devs made such as resetting exotics to upgrade them. Also, they made sure to delay fixing resource farming til the new TDB DLC (stretching out playtime).

And oh, I wasted hours at that last "Pre-DLC Iron Banner" event to acquire the assets to hit L30. Only for the DLC to drop 2 weeks later which made it easy for everyone to hit L31.

I lost my will to grind out all that stuff since the next DLC will just wipe it all completely clean anyway. Just makes no sense too me.

I do still occasionally hop on to play with GAF though. Hoping this game will improve. Just need to change a few core things like raising glimmer caps, promise not to wipe exotic weapon progress, etc

This is so close to the general opinion of people I've talked to who recently stopped playing the game. It was a very fun first 3 months of crazy hours. Then the changes got to be annoying, because they started undoing some things that took a really long time to accomplish.

Like you, I'd just finished getting to level 30. All three characters hit it within 2 weeks, and this was after weeks of fruitless VoG runs. I was never bummed out about the RNG, because I knew I would get the stuff eventually, and I was proud of my collection. I only needed a few more exotics and I've have everything.

Then the DLC came out, and I found a void sniper rifle that did more damage than my precious Praedyth's Revenge, with almost as little recoil. It really devalued my collection, and kinda made all that effort worthless. I didn't mind the grind the first time, because I imagined always being able to return to the game to admire my weapons collection, and squeeze off a few satisfying rounds on bad guys. I could never tire of Hawkmoon's crack, or TLW's fun hipfire, right? Well, I did when their damage got nerfed overnight, and some rando purple hand cannon was now popping heads more efficiently than the original divine trinity.

Oh well. I also hold hope for the future of the title. Either the sequel, or that Comet pack. I don't agree with the negativity some express. Most people are like you and I in that we enjoyed our time, but just kinda moved on. No hate necessary, the game didn't burn down my village or anything. PEACE.

TheMan

Sept? Damn, guess I'll be selling my copy sooner rather than later. Life's too short to wait for overpriced dlc.

BokehKing

Banned
We do have those. They are called Legendaries.
I think he means Lvl 7-18 legendary weapons so people can justify playing the game, palette swap some of the Blues to purples and people would be like

'I totally change my mind, I love this look at all the purples I got'

Deku Tree

Why do people keep saying this? You're like the 15th person in this thread to say that, and yet in the OP it clearly states there is a new Destination being added.

And the Stranger's Rifle. I miss that thing sometimes.

I have mine maxed and I keep it on one alt. Can't bring myself to dismantle it.

Gurrry

No one would force you to use matchmaking, ffs..

Exactly. Ive never understood the people that bitch about matchmaking. Just dont use it.

Hell, we are all basically using random matchmaking anyway when we go onto LFG. I dont know anyone, they are random, and we usually accomplish it within a decent time frame.

Destiny LFG == matchmaking.

Sanke__

I think people are affected by two things. First, the game feels very incomplete by most reports, so it wasn't worth the original $60 investment. Second, it's difficult for people to see it as spread out over two years, especially if content or mechanics are locked by DLC purchase. They'll see it as being nickled and dimed for content that should have been in the game originally.

I guess people were expecting skyrim or GTA5 levels of content for $60 so there is just no making them happy

BokehKing

Banned
Exactly. Ive never understood the people that bitch about matchmaking. Just dont use it.

Hell, we are all basically using random matchmaking anyway when we go onto LFG. I dont know anyone, they are random, and we usually accomplish it within a decent time frame.

Destiny LFG == matchmaking.
No its not, as I mentioned above, using matchmaking for strikes leads to so many people who go afk or refuse to go into the new mic system during the match.

People from lfg want to complete the match, you know if they have a mic or not, you know the experience they have if they chose to list it...

Random matchmakers who never been in the raid before will cry it's too hard, then it will have to get nerfed and people will get pissed off

What I want between now and this..Comet.

Matchmaking for Raids. No, no, fuck your logic of 'But it's to haaaaaaaaard', no it isn't. All the raids are easymode as shit for MMO standards. (Bu-Bu-But it's not an MMO! Yes it is when it tries to take all the shit of an MMO and implant it in it's 'shared world shooter' WHAT IS THIS FUCKING CANDYLAND?)

One strawman down!

Easier levelling. Seriously, give us a buff once we max out a character. I don't want to spend another 20 hours doing shitty missions just to advance another character.

2. Where's Queens Wrath? Where are all these events that made the game seem 'organic' that aren't compromised of Iron Banner?

C.I don't want to have to shard my exotics 5 times by the time I start replaying it during house of wolves or comet or whatever. I have a feeling Bungie is going to make it so you have to shard an exotic with each expansions currency or whatever, and that'd be straight up BS.

• And last of all, fucking transmog or some shit. That and make more fun unique weapons. And stop with the goddamn grinding.

As an ex-Destiny player, I'll admit that the game is like crack. Does that make it's players crack-addicts? I dunno about everyone else, but that's how I felt like. I mean, the thread after Alpha was called a withdrawal thread, so I wouldn't call it Stockholm Syndrome but...being addicted and having a withdrawal. As always, addiction doesn't not always means it's good for you.

But seriously Bungie do the above and you will have earned my Ire.

dubq

The trust and determination they are in it to win it

You don't want to blind match make with people bounce the moment they get frustrated or their microwave is done cooking their food

I use blind matchmaking in other games and I don't act like this. Methinks you're generalizing an entire segment of the gaming populace, friendo.

FAKE EDIT: Oh wait, your username. Are you just coming back with this stuff for the sake of argument?

TsuWave

content wise, only one that reads like an "expansion" is Plague of Darkness.

September is a long time away though.

inki

Destiny is greater than the sum of its parts. When you break it down into pieces (heck even when its whole) it has issues, some small, some big.

I think everyone see's those issues and agrees they should be fixed. Bungie is doing a decent job at taking care of the things they can (and in a timely manner). This is a platform and not a game. Some systems simply cannot be recreated in Destiny's current form (Destiny 2 could).

I have around 180 hours of game play and for the money, this game (with both DLC packs purchased and only 1 released) has been an amazing value.

Regardless of all the issues and annoyances, playing Destiny with my friends is the most fun I've had on my PS4 (or online) for a long time. I will continue to purchase more content for as long as my friends and I enjoy playing the game.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Why do people keep saying this? You're like the 15th person in this thread to say that, and yet in the OP it clearly states there is a new Destination being added.

Well friend, Hive Ship is not a planet for starters. You might say it's functionally the same but I was hoping for something that gives a fresh sense of exploration which isn't going to be found on a ship. Destiny promised me I could explore the solar system yet we still haven't gone past Mars and probably won't do so until Destiny 2.

And again, I was hoping for me than 1 new zone.

BokehKing

Banned
I use blind matchmaking in other games and I don't act like this. Methinks you're generalizing an entire segment of the gaming populace, friendo.

FAKE EDIT: Oh wait, your username. Are you just coming back with this stuff for the sake of argument?
No because I actually play the game in question everyday and these are things that happen.

I'll take my chances with matchmaking for heroic daily/weekly strike / nightfall

But a raid that can take over 2 1/2 hours? No I don't trust matchmaking

(username = is just because I look at both sides of the story when in discussions with friends, they call me the Devils advocate because I don't agree with them and point out how they are most likely in the wrong, blah blah, it's just my nature, I'm not trolling, honest)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How would a grouping board be better for new players though?
"First time Normal Raid! Level 28, Have mic"
"All players welcome, Mic not required, level 27 or higher and be willing to listen"
"Group of 3 looking for 3 to help with first Hard raid, experienced with Normal"

on the other side of the coin
"Hard Raid quick run, experienced players only"
"Level 31 needed for Crota kill only"
How would a new player board-matchmaking for 5 be any different than blind matchmaking for 5?
It's the difference between people understanding what they are getting into and choosing to do so, and having no choice.
That would be fine. Having to go outside of the game and resort to third party websites to find a group is just plain stupid for the type of game Bungie is going for.
I think it's actually appropriate to do so for the type of game Bungie is going for, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be included in-game. But the way any system for forming in-game groups works is important.
Add am IN GAME LFG board in the tower
This,
a matchmaking lobby system with vote kicks, ANYTHING.
not this.

Top Bottom