• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Far Cry 5 set in Wild West 19th Century [Actually likely modern day Montana]

Will Ubisoft manage to keep any secrets for E3 (or even for their pre-E3 unveils)?

Results are only viewable after voting.
After the mess that was Primal, I don't have any faith in that team pulling off a Far Cry game with a historical setting.

RDR2 is more than enough for me.

Tagg9

I'm guessing Ubisoft is expecting Rockstar to delay RDR2 to 2018. Which is definitely a possibility. It would allow them to swoop in and capitalise on the desire for a great Western title.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is the biggest thing for me. Far Cry 5 needs to be the one that feels like an actual next-gen leap and not a copy of the Far Cry 3 template. Despite what some on GAF might say, I want the world to feel bigger. I want it to feel more like a functioning place and less like a compressed theme park.

My ultimate hope is that FC get's back to the immersive sim aspirations the first two games had and that it feels less like a Ubisoft collect-a-thon, but who are we kidding? I hope Ubisoft paid attention to Phantom Pain and Breath of the Wild, because both of those games took a lot of the FC formula but added more emphasis on player freedom and systemic gameplay. Both in my opinion are better Far Cry games than Far Cry 4.

Exactly. Even if I feel MGSV could have executed its own formula far better (more dynamic, emergent encounter variety on the open world), it had numerous moments far more reminiscent of Far Cry 2 than any Far Cry since.

I don't believe Ubisoft will ever go back to that formula, but I just want them to dial back the faux-RPG XP tracking, skill and ability bottlenecking, objective and statistic checklisting, and formulaic game system structure alongside open world design so prevalent in Far Cry 3, 4, and Primal. They're weird in that sense; so formulaic that I just don't feel the experience of play can surprise me, either in discovering something or simply experiencing a unique, emergent sequence. The game systems never really come together in that way for me.

sjay1994

Exactly. Even if I feel MGSV could have executed its own formula far better (more dynamic, emergent encounter variety on the open world), it had numerous moments far more reminiscent of Far Cry 2 than any Far Cry since.

I don't believe Ubisoft will ever go back to that formula, but I just want them to dial back the faux-RPG XP tracking, skill and ability bottlenecking, objective and statistic checklisting, and formulaic game system structure alongside open world design so prevalent in Far Cry 3, 4, and Primal. They're weird in that sense; so formulaic that I just don't feel the experience of play can surprise me, either in discovering something or simply experiencing a unique, emergent sequence. The game systems never really come together in that way for me.

I've never played FC2, but from what I've seen it's one of the most divisive games around. With people either claiming it's a masterpiece or a piece of shit.

So your probably right. Because while the later games might be stale, it's not as divisive as 2.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who really liked Primal (with the caveat that I got it for like $36 at launch), but I don't know if I want another Far Cry so soon.

Especially with Red Dead potentially coming a month or two later.

Shredderi

I hope that it's fake. That setting is too barren and "flat" in terms of topography for my liking in a FC game. Also with RDR2 on the way I'd prefer FC5 do something else.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The news article is stupid. Took two random things and made it news.

I don't mind a western setting tbh.

ezekial45

Banned
I dig it. I had a lot of fun with Primal, way more than I thought I would, so I can get down with this.

This seems like a sad attempt to latch on to RDR2's hype if true.

You're right. They saw RDR2's announcement back in October and said 'wow, we gotta get in on that' and hobbled together a working Far Cry game which is going to be out in less than a year's time altogether.

That's totally what happened.

Stiler

The more obvious franchise here is Far Cry.

RHlbovb.gif

I think the more obvious franchise would be Red Dead Redemption...

You're right. They saw RDR2's announcement back in October and said 'wow, we gotta get in on that' and hobbled together a working Far Cry game which is going to be out in less than a year's time altogether.

That's totally what happened.

On the one hand, you're right.

On the other hand, it's Ubisoft and they basically make these games from a mold. Remember how Primal's map was a reskinned version of Far Cry 4's?

Speely

Banned
This is pretty smart, really. They had to figure that R* was going to announce a RDR2 sooner or later, so releasing a wild west FC this year makes sense no matter what: either R* announces RDR2 and FC5 is already well into development, poised to capitalize on the hype a bit sooner, or RDR2 is not announced and people just buy the other option.

Welfare

First they tried getting the GTA V hype with Watch Dogs and now they want the RDR2 hype with a wild west Far Cry.

LMAO
of all the times they couldve released it, of all the setings they couldve chosen,
they picked the one that lands them closest in competition to rdr3. genius.

Day one, for this and RDR2. Have a feeling this will be out at least 8 months before RDR2, so I'm not concerned about genre fatigue.

Gator86

I'm definitely in for Western Far Cry. That said, good fucking luck with RDR2 right there. Hope this doesn't kill Far Cry if it does happen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've never played FC2, but from what I've seen it's one of the most divisive games around. With people either claiming it's a masterpiece or a piece of shit.

So your probably right. Because while the later games might be stale, it's not as divisive as 2.

It's quite repetitive as it doesn't have the game design diversity to last what is a surprisingly lengthy adventure, and is straddled by last generation limitations (namely the open world structure, such as a lot of zone bottlenecking), but was emergent by nature of the game system flexibility and the unpredictable elements you had to manage. People complained about the malaria factor kicking in and disorientating field of vision or immobilising you, along with weapon degradation leading to random gun jamming. But for those that loved it many of these factors were part of the thrill and fun: getting caught in an intense encounter with you gun jamming, scrambling for cover to either unjam it, or trying to find an enemy dropped weapon of better quality mid fight, that was exciting. The game had that MGSV vibe where you had a simple objective and were open to approach it however you wished.

I also feel the lack of faux RPG horeshit in any skill system helped. I don't feel unlocking abilities and skills adds any value to these games that benefit more from unlocking tools, equipment, and weapons to be discovered, purchased, upgraded, and implemented at your own discretion. Far Cry 2's economy was pretty decent in the grand scheme of things; diamonds were rare enough relative to cost for weapon upgrades that each and every diamond found was legitimately valuable. And like MGSV you knew upgrading or unlocking a new tool or weapon was a toy to play with in the game world, or ignored, rather than having a literal skill locked behind an XP gateway.

I know it's not for everyone, and it had a lot of room to improve, but I think that's part of the point. Far Cry 2 was an exciting template for how the series could evolve, particularly in balancing the game systems and how they're expressed to the player. It had that right balance of just enough emergent game design to stay interesting and (relatively) varied, yet didn't burden the player with arbitrary checklisting and XP grinds. Far Cry 3 onwards teetered the skill system and XP/stat economy in the wrong direction, at least to my taste, deteriorating the kind of game I was interested in.

Hmm... this could be the game folks were filming the live action footage for. People were speculating it was RDR2, including myself.

And of course that's what the article is based on haha

RHlbovb.gif

I think the more obvious franchise would be Red Dead Redemption...

The poster was talking about the crew filming something live action for a game's marketing. Yes, RDR2 is coming out. But if the new Far Cry is going to be a western...it actually makes sense for that being the game the film crew was shooting for.

When was the last time Rockstar made something live action to promote one of their games? Ubisoft does it all the time.

How have I never heard the term "spaghetti western" before?

This could be fun for the Farcry formula, but yeah, RDR2. Crazy timing if true.

Top Bottom