• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Far Cry 5 set in Wild West 19th Century [Actually likely modern day Montana]

Will Ubisoft manage to keep any secrets for E3 (or even for their pre-E3 unveils)?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
..fuck i think I could dive in deep into a open world action-adventure game set in the west, even if it gets repetitive as hell

Khrno

I hate the wild west setting, but I love Far Cry, so I'll compromise and like the Wild West this time around.

Last good Far Cry was Far Cry 2 (with Blood Dragon being an exception), everything else was trash.

I thought Far Cry 3, 4 and Blood Dragon were all better than Far Cry 2. Can we also stop using the word trash as a euphemism for games we don't like please? It's lazy and childish.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Would love this to be true. I never finish them, but have great fun playing Far Cry games every time. Wild west FC has too much potential for this not to happen.

I'd definitely be up for a Farcry Spaghetti Western game. Sure, I've been a Western junkie since Lucasart's "Outlaws", but I could also really see the Farcry formula working well with the setting.

GAF just breaking in the leaks even before the news starts

Also a Western setting sounds great and refreshing for a Far Cry entry as long as they make the impacting of shooting enemies as satisfying as Red Dead. It's a problem that has existed in nearly all the Far Crys under Ubisoft and that the guns lack a satisfying weight and feel. So I hope that is remedied if this rumour turns out to be true.

VGA247 said:
The next Far Cry game looks like it’s going to have a Spaghetti Western setting.

0e3.png

Even though it does sound like a petty attempt of just piggy backing off of RDR2's hype, we haven't had anywhere near enough old style western shooters so the more the merrier IMO.

KDC720

A western does fit the Far Cry template well, so its interesting on that level.

I just wish Ubi would give us Far Cry: Dinosaur Island already.

pa22word

I'm not holding my breath. Though I've lamented the lack of Wild West games, Far Cry is the quintessential series of appealing settings and uninteresting game design. So like Far Cry 4 and Primal a part of me wants to play it, but another part of me is pretty sure I'll get bored within the first couple of hours.

Fingers crossed there's some key differences in the design and it's not yet another copy of what we're familiar with.

This is where I'm at. I didn't think it was possible to make a boring prehistoric action rpg given all that they could do with it yet somehow Ubisoft managed to do it. 5 hours and I was completely done with the game, nothing but treadmills to run on in every single direction. I've got better uses for my time than that no matter how pretty it may look or how novel the setting is.

At this point I think Ubi is perfectly capable of running any setting, no matter how interesting, straight into the ground out of a sheer lack of wanting to even try doing anything truely interesting with it.

This is a cool setting and yeah Call of Juarez was fantastic, but until they overhaul the Far Cry formula I doubt I'll get this one. I took a chance on 4 and Primal, both discounted heavily, and got burned on both - Primal especially.

120v

when i heard the next Far Cry would "raise some heads" or whatever the rumor is i figured it'd be 19th century. probably dealing with slavery or whatever hot button contingencies go along with it.

if it is a "western" i don't expect it to be anything like RDR2

Ashtar

I always end up depressed when I goto Ubisoft threads

Like Jesus guys come on!
"Ubisoft cures cancer"
Neogaf: yeah but you have to climb 100 towers to get lulz

I'd be down for far cry Wild West but please Ubi campaign coop with an online posse! We need it!
Personally I loved far cry 3 & 4 but primal was meh

Cathcart

At first I thought the title said that the new Far Cry was going to have a West Wing setting and I don't really know what that would mean but I want to play it.

Far Cry 2 was the last Far Cry game that got the open world scale right. All games after that were way more fun but they turned open world into these cramped theme parks. The scale was just off. Hopefully the next game will be better in this regard.

Kssio_Aug

For me it doesn't really matter the settings they will go to, if the game uses the exact same formula from Far Cry 3, 4 and Primal again, I'm totally not interested.

Assassin's Creed: Origins and now this? Damn, the Ubisoft conference isn't going to have any surprises left at this point, bummer.

Gator86

For me it doesn't really matter the settings they will go to, if the game uses the exact same formula from Far Cry 3, 4 and Primal again, I'm totally not interested.

I love Far Cry, but yup. If I see that same stealth takedown animation in a 5th straight game, I'm out.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Now I want a first person open world RPG set in a Western setting where I can do whatever I want, and whomever I want.

Mount & Blade meets Red Dead. Basically Westworld The Game.

G-Bus

Banned
Having never really payed any attention to far cry since the original, I'm interested if this is true.

Although with RDR 2 potentially on the horizon this can very easily be forgotten.

HussiZooT

I'm totally down for a Call of Juarez styled Western Shooter for the next FarCry entry. Would love to see them tackle the West.

My only gripe is... if R* releases RDR2 this year, then this game will get forgotten very quickly. As someone mentioned, it'll end up being the Battleborn of the battle.

BUT, if R* releases RDR2 next year, this would be perfect to fill the gap and quench the thirst of everyone craving for a Western shooter.

Obviously I'm down for this.

But mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn do I wish they were making this with a Far Cry 2 design philosophy rather than what's likely to be Far Cry 3/4's gamey presentation.

I'm in as long as we have a Blood Dragon spin off where Rex Power Colt goes back in time to the Wild West and just murders everything with futuristic guns. I want to walk into the saloon shooting laserbeams and riding Dinosaur robots

Top Bottom