• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Leaked stages/characters from Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale [Updated]

Desmond

Hey guys catch me up just woke up, were some kind of game assets found?

Everything you predicted character-wise. WHO ARE YOU?!!!!!

heres one; i have trouble getting them in color...
idvGeGnXfoswJ.png

edit:
i98cW49uWmOKV.png

Looks like the 2009 Raiden render

Do people actually want Lightning then? Over Cloud/Seph/Vivi/Auron etc?

I find that there is no Mortal Kombat character leaked/planned/spoke about yet very odd too.

TheMink

Seriously, how long ago were you told about Lightning? (I kid) :p She's nowhere to be found in the beta, but these other characters are.

That list that was given to me like a month ago XD

So is lightning the only character that ive said that isnt part of the leaks so far?

so the entire thing is real.

This mean the game lack female characters (only Nariko and Fat Princess) and with no great Sony female characters like Rynn (Drakan: Order of the Flame)Ellen (Folklore)Jennifer Tate (Primal) or even Carmelita (Sly),Angela Cross(Ratchet) and Rose (legend of Dragoon).

and we got two slots for Cole MacGrath and the princess that no one care about, This is really messed up, but oh well DLC/sequel maybe.

Those are great female sony characters by your own definition.

I think the roster is fine.

It boggles my mind how emotional involved people with a set of characters.

Also, no Kingdom Hearts (Sora), Resident Evil, WipEout (yet), Gran Turismo (yet) references.

How bizarre.

There dont have to be.

I kinda have a hard time seeing a mash between Wipeout and GT. Just because they belong under the same genre doesnt necesserily mean it can work.

KH & Resident Evil arent that relevant either.

Verendus

Banned
Alright, so according to this list and our very own prophet, this is the 22 character roster:

Parappa the Rapper (Parappa the Rapper)
Jak and Daxter (Jak and Daxter)
Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
Radec (Killzone)
Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII) (Paul Gale's third female)
Kratos (God of War)
Fat Princess (Fat Princess)
Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper)
Ratchet and Clank (Ratchet and Clank)
Spike (Ape Escape)
Musashi (Brave Fencer Musashi) (Paul Gale's RPG character)
Sackboy (LittleBig Planet)
Sir Dan (MediEvil)
Nariko (Heavenly Sword)
Cole (inFamous)
Evil Cole (inFamous)
Big Daddy (Bioshock)

Raiden (MGS: Rising)
Dante (DmC)
Toro (Toro)
Heihachi (Tekken)

Not confirmed, but likely, based on the leak and TheMink's source
Fine with all but the bold.

Really disappointing to see them in over other choices which Sony would have complete control over (like Wander, Dart, Alundra or Kat).

No Snake sucks for one. But at least Raiden has a potentially awesome moveset. So, his inclusion doesn't feel too bad. Still sucks there's no Snake though.

Nariko is a forgettable character from one of the crappier PS exclusives though.

Lightning who is like a shit version of Cloud. I mean, 5 mainline FF games that are exclusive to PS and you choose her? Her? And she's not a very popular character. It's a puzzling choice.

Evil Cole would normally be fine because the moveset will likely be different. But when there's no Wander? Or Rau Utu? Or Alundra? I mean, Cole is already represented. So, this is probably the worst choice as it's essentially a pure waste.

New Dante over Classic Dante speaks for itself. Classic Dante is in another upcoming game so don't see why he can't be in this.

Big Daddy was cool even though he has little association with PS, but if this is the final roster, his inclusion seems worse in retrospect.

I think Superbot got most of the roster right, but the third party picks outside of Heihachi (and Musashi since he's such a far out pick you wouldn't expect) absolutely suck.

Still will be there day one.

But no Cloud or Snake? Especially when you couldn't get Crash or Spyro? That's one of the crappiest decisions to pull. One of those two needed to be in. They were the original Playstation. Any other choice could be potentially overlooked if one of these two were in.

Desmond

Alright, so according to this list and our very own prophet, this is the 22 character roster:

Parappa the Rapper (Parappa the Rapper)
Jak and Daxter (Jak and Daxter)
Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
Radec (Killzone)
Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII) (Paul Gale's third female)
Kratos (God of War)
Fat Princess (Fat Princess)
Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper)
Ratchet and Clank (Ratchet and Clank)
Spike (Ape Escape)
Musashi (Brave Fencer Musashi) (Paul Gale's RPG character)
Sackboy (LittleBig Planet)
Sir Dan (MediEvil)
Nariko (Heavenly Sword)
Cole (inFamous)
Evil Cole (inFamous)
Big Daddy (Bioshock)
Raiden (MGS: Rising)
Dante (DmC)
Toro (Toro)
Heihachi (Tekken)

Not confirmed, but likely, based on the leak and TheMink's source

It's just MGR now, no ''s'' ;). Sorry just bugs me.

k_Reign

Guys, you have to remember that
a) This has not been confirmed as the final roster!
b) They are not just appealing to the people here on the forums or the people that are hardcore following the game, etc. They are appealing to a lot of Playstation fans, new and old.

Lightning is pretty much the worst character Superbot could pluck from Final Fantasy, but we're gonna get her anyway. Swell. Nothing more charismatic than a miserable bint with an arse like a pancake.

I think, by and large, the third-party situation turned out pretty sub-standard overall. Heihachi, Big Daddy, Raiden, Dante and Lightning was not the roster I was expecting when boarding the hype train. Most of us were hoping for Crash, Spyro, Snake and Cloud and it doesn't look like any of those are gonna happen. The firsty-party selection is rad though, so that's good. But as great as Ratchet, Sackboy, Sir Dan and Spike are, we do desperately need Kat and Wander and/or ICO & Yorda to join the ranks.

Edit - Forgot to add Nariko. Really glad she's in too.

Verendus

Banned
I do not believe Ico or Wander will not be represented.

They're from two PS classics and some of the most critically acclaimed PS games. One of them has to be in this game. It just wouldn't make sense they're not in.

Lightning is pretty much the worst character Superbot could pluck from Final Fantasy, but we're gonna get her anyway. Swell. Nothing more charismatic than a miserable bint with an arse like a pancake.

I think, by and large, the third-party situation turned out pretty sub-standard overall. Heihachi, Big Daddy, Raiden, Dante and Lightning was not the roster I was expecting when boarding the hype train. Most of us were hoping for Crash, Spyro, Snake and Cloud and it doesn't look like any of those are gonna happen. The firsty-party selection is rad though, so that's good. But as great as Ratchet, Sackboy, Sir Dan and Spike are, we do desperately need Kat and Wander and/or ICO & Yorda to join the ranks.

Pretty much my thoughts. Very puzzling.

Also, no Kingdom Hearts (Sora), Resident Evil, WipEout (yet), Gran Turismo (yet) references.

How bizarre.

Remember it's two games per stage, and if those stills are part of the stage select screen then we don't know the 2nd game represented in each.

New Dante over Classic Dante speaks for itself. Classic Dante is in another upcoming game so don't see why he can't be in this.

Which game?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Still hoping for that Gravity Kitten :) I agree with a comment from earlier, that a Gravity Rush stage would be quite cool to fight in. Could be one heck of an active set piece, like a more epic verstion of Fourside from Smash, actually... And GR music would just be SO epic, too. It'd actually have that "larger than life" sound that fits this genre of games.

Anyway, interesting leak there, though. Locoroco stage is pretty cool.

The idea of sticking in people like Raiden and *That* Dante kinda seems meh from the "All stars" idea, unproven versions of characters that have more memorable alternatives just seems odd. But good for them anywho, it's great for those specific games.

Mr. Medieval making it in is pretty cool, however. Somehow, seeing Sir Dan makes me remember the hype for the Death Jr. games in the past... lol. Daniel and Spike are probably the 2 on this list I'd be most interested in seeing how well they fit into this particular game.

Would be great if this here is just an "At the time..." list of characters, and the overall scope had balooned since then. Hope there's still some real surprises left, for the devs sake :)

Oh, and if Brave Fencer Musashi makes it in.... HAHA *GUUUUH! "If I get re-incarnated, I want to be Musashi again!" *Queue the memorable death theme* And I'd play Lightning just to hear the XIII battle music. Been humming that theme on-and-off ever since the game was first previewed...

TheMink

Im crazy excited about Raiden. I was so glad to hear about his inclusion.

StuBurns

Banned
Pretty much my thoughts. Very puzzling.
It's not really puzzling though. Sony need permission to include any of these characters. If they say to SE and KojiPro "We want Cloud/Snake, he's important to the history of the PlayStation brand", and they say, "Not going to happen, but we're releasing FFXIII-3/MGR next year, so we'd be happy to see Lightning/Raiden included", that's kind of it. Sony aren't going to not include them if that's the best they're going to get from those franchises.

Verendus

Banned
Which game?
3DS RPG if I remember correctly. Can't remember the name right now.

New Dante just seems like a risky pick. That game could very well underperform and Capcom reverts to the normal design anyway. He's an unproven character at this point.

I mean, if we go by the route of "playstyle" or potential movesets then we can justify several other characters from Sony's own IPs rather than him.

Just as a cross promotional tool, he's a pretty poor choice. Because that's the only reason he's in. His game isn't even out yet.

It's not really puzzling though. Sony need permission to include any of these characters. If they say to SE and KojiPro "We want Cloud/Snake, he's important to the history of the PlayStation brand", and they say, "Not going to happen, but we're releasing FFXIII-3/MGR next year, so we'd be happy to see Lightning/Raiden included", that's kind of it. Sony aren't going to not include them if that's the best they're going to get from those franchises.

Which is a crying shame. The opportunity for marketing should be lower down on the list of priorities than fan-service, balance and fun.

Nice of those publishers to not give their fans what they want.

Verendus

Banned
Just going to say, even if Lightning is the only character you can get from SE, might as well not include her unless she comes free. Not like she's going to bring in much money as an inclusion.

Whereas someone like Cloud would instantly net you a hell of a lot of sales. Even from people who may not usually play fighting games.

Someone was getting stick for calling the third party support "ad space" but that's basically what it is, let's not beat around the bush. That was always going to be a possibility though so I'm not too upset (although Crash's exclusion is illogical since Activision need/want a way to revive him and this would be easy money and publicity).

I'm genuinely surprised that Kat isn't there though, a Team Ico character missing is wild too, and even Dart Feld considering the hype around that game's re-release on PSN (the top selling PSOne classic in both May and June).

The leaked/rumored roster would finish off nicely with either Alundra or Tomba added.

Nariko is a forgettable character from one of the crappier PS exclusives though.

Pretty much. But she kinda compliments the roster now.

Lightning who is like a shit version of Cloud. I mean, 5 mainline FF games that are exclusive to PS and you choose her? Her? And she's not a very popular character. It's a puzzling choice.

Superbot is probably just keeping upto date with the franchise. Like with DmC.

I think Superbot got most of the roster right, but the third party picks outside of Heihachi (and Musashi since he's such a far out pick you wouldn't expect) absolutely suck.

My only concern about Musashi is if he's in the roster whether they'll use the original design or the overhauled one.

Would be best of with the former 90's version.

But no Cloud or Snake? Especially when you couldn't get Crash or Spyro? That's one of the crappiest decisions to pull. One of those two needed to be in. They were the original Playstation.

You cant blame Sony for that. Those franchises arent owned by them.

And it isnt hard to imagine Activision - and this Konami aswell - demanding a generous charity donation to use those in the game.

baekshi

Banned
Remember it's two games per stage, and if those stills are part of the stage select screen then we don't know the 2nd game represented in each.

You need to also remember that each stage could be from the stage that's already shown.

Like R&C stage with god of war even though god of war has its own stage.

StuBurns

Banned
Which is a crying shame. The opportunity for marketing should be lower down on the list of priorities than fan-service, balance and fun.
I certainly agree it's a shame, but it's a tough situation. The idea of a PlayStation fighter missing representation from Final Fantasy and Metal Gear is worse than getting it, but not with the famous protagonists.

Ironically, I can imagine a Ninja Raiden being a lot more fun as a character than Snake, and more representative of his actual game performance. I would even prefer to play as Lightning to Cloud too probably. That cool transforming sword, that slick battle stance, I like her outfit more too.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Yep.

Still sucks though, call me a sheep but Cloud was the the character I was the most hyped for, now I'm really starting to think theres just no way he is in.

Top Bottom