• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEJ is no more, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan/Asia formed in its place

nib95

Banned
Makes sense. I hope the new studio is much better managed and has a stronger output. SCEJ was disastrous this gen.

Also, talk about sensationalist OP. Kind of misdirecting.

Joni

Makes sense. I hope the new studio is much better managed and has a stronger output. SCEJ was disastrous this gen.

Also, talk about sensationalist OP. Kind of misdirecting.

Think more publishing, less developping. Development is lead by SCE WWS anyway.

Busty

Banned
Does anyone know where Sony Pangaea fits into all this? Julian Eggebrecht said he could get me and John Riccitiello a job there.

waypoetic

Banned
PzcMyqq.png

Confirmed.

MCD

Ever since I saw the PS4 reveal, I've been asking myself: where did Japan go?

Everything was western.

Moosichu

Nowhere does it mention Japan Studios. For example, if SCEE and SCEA were to merge, the dev studios would still be the same

This affects publishing, planning, marketing etc.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I wonder, could this have anything to do with Sony's dealings with China recently? Aren't they trying to finalise a deal to allow for console sales there again?

Mario007

Why the hell are people talking about game development here? Why are people thinking that this means anything for Studio Japan? Studio Japan and game development are under Worldwide Studios.

SCEJ was the branch that would do marketing, market research and analysis etc.

Say SCE JA out loud as two words (not by individually letters) and tell me again how this isn't a prank

If that's the case here, its a shitty unfunny prank that literally no one cares about. It isn't that Sony Computer Entertainment Japan vanished into thin air, its just merged/consolidated with their asian branches.

There's nothing funny about it. Unless you're being factitious.

Of course, I have no doubt many people would read the title and assume SCEJ is actually dead. Which would mean not even bothering with the OP. Par for the course on internet forums I guess.

man I would at least postpone this stuff a day late
If I was a stockholder I would be like "phew good thing today is April fools, I almost had a heart attack"
the 24 hours later investor friends call you "DUDE! why didn't you bail!?"
Then I call up my accountant or some shit "fffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCK!"

Business' don't really do this (i.e. put out somewhat plausible jokes about their companies like "Apple is getting rid of the iPod") unless they've got a deathwish. Its safe to assume that April 1st means nothing to most companies, except for marketing who might put out some silly "SONY has created a baby translator device" joke.

Withnail

It's not a prank. Unless Kaz has been taking management lessons from David Brent.

"Hey guys, you're being made redundant lolz."

SykoTech

Uh...okay.

From the links in OP

Sounds good, but I guess ther future console outut will determine that. Things have been looking better recently though. Puppeteer looks really good and seems to be getting within a reasonable amount of time.

Ever since I saw the PS4 reveal, I've been asking myself: where did Japan go?

Everything was western.

Knack is being made by the Japan Studio. It seems to be aimed more at the west tough.

daveo42

Banned
This doesn't really change much does it?

Just a reorganization of their resources. This might help to cut down some of the upper management structure and consolidate everything under one roof. Plenty of companies do this to help save money when their expenses grow to large or the company is in some sort of financial pressure.

lantus

Can't say I didn't see this coming, their role in the whole company has dwindled since the release of the PS3.

Whompa

Also, this is a little extreme. They merged. They still exist, just not in the capacity of whatever their capacity was.

RiverBed

Banned
So instead of SCEJ it is SCEJ/A?
Japan's division is still there. Restructuring doesn't mean 'no more'. In fact, Japan still has a main branch before and after.
Misleading thread title.

SCE Asia has already been trying their hand at offering support and publishing deals to up and coming developers in the region, leading to games like Page Chronica from Singapore and Invincible Knight from Taiwan. So I guess we might see more of that?

Top Bottom