• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEJ is no more, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan/Asia formed in its place

MormaPope

Banned
From the links in OP

○ provided with Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia, to change the organization as follows.

- Providing a new strategic planning department.
- New management unit is provided.
- Portion is provided in relation to the new publisher.
- Development of new support portion is provided.
- Publishing a new section is provided first party.
- Quality control unit is provided a new format.
- New product management unit is provided.

Almost everyone was fooled though.

34965_Paulie_Walnuts.gif

Yeah the thread title definitely needs to be changed for accuracy, especially considering the timing.

It's a borderline April Fool if you ask me.

V_Ben

Banned
One big division for the whole area sounds like a smart move. Too much fragmentation is a risky thing.

While the news itself actually sounds like it could be quite a good idea, that is a sweet, sweet thread title for today. Good work!

Musiol

Can it be real? Considering 1st of April is new fiscal year? Year ago Kaz Hirai was selected as CEO, so?

Withnail

This makes a lot of sense. If you look at the size of the region covered by SCEE it's silly to elsewhere have branches for single countries.

Also everybody is always saying Sony is too fragmented. This is a step in the right direction.

One more point, SCEJ was just a publisher, they didn't make games. This won't affect The Last Guardian etc.

Yeah its just merging SCEI and SCEAsia into SCEJA.

No, SCEI is the management level above everything else. That's staying.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Can it be real? Considering 1st of April is new fiscal year? Year ago Kaz Hirai was selected as CEO, so?

I kinda doubt a giant multinational corporation based on a country that doesn't necessarily celebrate April Fools will joke about this.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So in essence they're just changing the name?
Well the google translation makes it seem like it'll be more than just a name change.

● (April 1, 2013) organizational changes

<Sony Computer Entertainment Japan>
&#9675; abolished Sony Computer Entertainment Japan.

<Sony Computer Entertainment Asia>
&#9675; abolished Sony Computer Entertainment Asia.

<Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia>
&#9675; provided with Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia, to change the organization as follows.

- Providing a new strategic planning department.
- New management unit is provided.
- Portion is provided in relation to the new publisher.
- Development of new support portion is provided.
- Publishing a new section is provided first party.
- Quality control unit is provided a new format.
- New product management unit is provided.
- Providing a new loan management unit.
- Japan section is provided a new customer relationship.
- Japan section is provided in the new marketing.
- Providing a new Japan sales department.
- Japan section is provided in the new online service.
- Providing a new Asia Strategy Department.
- Asian Network Planning Department provided new business.

No, SCEI is the management level above everything else. That's staying.
Ah, wasn't sure about the distinction between J and I.

This restructuring brought back flashbacks of when SCE was renamed to SNEP and then a new SCE was made so they could split the network services from the console business. That also happened at the start of the fiscal year.

Madness

The balance of power is shifting from Japan to China, Singapore and South Korea in East Asia. It's only sensible to make a new entity that covers those key markets together with Japan.

Though it's like GM merging it's US branch, to make a North American one. Sony is after all a Japanese company.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
timing is simply astonishing.
A step forward and a tumble down the stairs.

The timing actually makes perfect sense. April 1st is the start of Sony's financial year. As it is for most japanese companies. That's why every year we get 1 or 2 bits of real japanese news that everyone assumes is a trick due to the date coincidence.

Defuser

I hope this means the PSN stores will be merged together. It's a damn hassle to jump through stores especially on Vita.

Acrylic7

The timing actually makes perfect sense. April 1st is the start of Sony's financial year. As it is for most japanese companies. That's why every year we get 1 or 2 bits of real japanese news that everyone assumes is a trick due to the date coincidence.

man I would at least postpone this stuff a day late
If I was a stockholder I would be like "phew good thing today is April fools, I almost had a heart attack"
the 24 hours later investor friends call you "DUDE! why didn't you bail!?"
Then I call up my accountant or some shit "fffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCK!"

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
April fool's is not a thing in Japan I believe. Mergers happening at the start of a new fiscal year is. April 1st is a perfectly acceptable day to announce this sort of thing.

Superflat

Doesn't seem like it'll impact us in a negative way, so far. Hopefully there will be a more elaboration on this. If this means more games produced, let's do this thing.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I knew we were never going to get TLG, I fucking knew it!

Drencrom

Nice threadtitle Cheese

This reminds me of the thread when Kaz stepped down his position at SCE to become the CEO of Sony lol

Top Bottom