• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane Black: RDJ wants Mel Gibson to direct Iron Man 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
http://uproxx.com/movies/shane-black-the-nice-guys-iron-man-3/

Would you do another Iron Man? Downey seems to have changed his position and is open to another.

I think he wants Mel Gibson to direct it.

Really? Downey has been supportive of Gibson.

And for good reason. Mel was great to him. Mel’s been really nice to a lot of people, including me. I’ll go on record saying I don’t believe anyone should be held accountable in any way for something they say while they are drunk. It’s not who they are.

He had said no to another Iron Man for a long time, but that’s changed.

He’s mellowed on that.

Mahvel plz, do this thing.

I've wanted Mel in the MCU for a while now. Great actor. But damn, if he isn't a great director too. So, I'd be all in for him directing a MCU film.

I’ll go on record saying I don’t believe anyone should be held accountable in any way for something they say while they are drunk. It’s not who they are.

Strongly disagree with this basic premise.
And the things Mel Gibson has said and done stone cold sober aren't any better than the record of his DUI arrest.

But hey, Hollywood gotta protect its own at any cost, right?

maxcriden

And for good reason. Mel was great to him. Mel’s been really nice to a lot of people, including me. I’ll go on record saying I don’t believe anyone should be held accountable in any way for something they say while they are drunk. It’s not who they are.

Respect for Black fading to black. :/

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

This is nonsense.

I think Mel is a great director but comic book movies aren't in his wheelhouse and no way Disney would get involved with him.

Really cant agree with the whole "People shouldnt be held accountable for things they say while they are drunk" comment.

I mean i do believe that you can do and say things that you wouldnt normally and should be excused for in the grand scheme of things but the things he is on record as saying dont just come out from nowhere.

RDJ saying he wants Mel Gibson to direct him isn't new - that statement dates back two years ago. Shane Black repeating it now seems new though.

It's worth mentioning for those that don't know that Mel is largely responsible for restarting RDJ's career by singlehandedly paying his completion bonds back when he was uninsurable, so this isn't particularly surprising.

DOWN

Banned
He's an awesome director and RDJ has been an advocate for Gibson post-apologies as he knows better than anyone what it's like to have public troubles like Gibson's.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The only way Mel is going to rehab himself is by staying sober and doing serious outreach. Mend fences, rebuild bridges and make an effort to understand himself and the hurt he caused folks.

I'd be perfectly willing to give him a chance, but I'm not part of the offended class (unless you include the wigs from Braveheart).

Sanjuro

Really cant agree with the whole "People shouldnt be held accountable for things they say while they are drunk" comment.

I mean i do believe that you can do and say things that you wouldnt normally and should be excused for in the grand scheme of things but the things he is on record as saying dont just come out from nowhere.

His father is a Holocaust denier. Came from that.

AudioEppa

For a second I was like ' There was a IM3?' I remembered soon after, I only saw the first movie.

But hey if he serious about waiting him, I say why not.

Futureman

Strongly disagree with this basic premise.
And the things Mel Gibson has said and done stone cold sober aren't any better than the record of his DUI arrest.

But hey, Hollywood gotta protect its own at any cost, right?

Yes. I'm of the opposite view... you're drunk, that's when the truth comes spilling out.

He's a great director and actor but I totally disagree about the "not yourself when you're drunk" observation. In my experience you say the things that you really mean when you're drunk.

He seems to be an awful person with some shitty personal beliefs but I don't think that should stop him from getting work, it just makes it hard for me to view his work objectively now.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
From what I understand, there was a time when RDJ was toxic and no one wanted to work with him after he got out of rehab, except Mel who stuck up for him and supported him. RDJ, I would imagine, now probably attributes his success to that support.

I guess that is what you would call a friend.

Iron Man 4 rated R (or slightly less decaf) directed by Mel Gibson. Would be too good to be true.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
You're drunk. Inhibition removed, if anything, it's who you REALLY are.

Aren't inhibition part of the self? Can we get a list of features that are a part of The Self to continue this discussion. This needs to be settled.

Kind of just like the idea of Iron-Man making appearances rather than getting standalone films. Civil War was just as much his movie as it was Captain America and The Winter Solider's.

Vagabundo

You're drunk. Inhibition removed, if anything, it's who you REALLY are.

Nawww I've said all sort of stupid shit when drunk. You might be more likely to say the truth, but good luck picking it out of all the weird garbage that seems like a good idea at the time.

Nawww I've said all sort of stupid shit when drunk. You might be more likely to say the truth, but good luck picking it out of all the weird garbage that seems like a good idea at the time.

You ever beat the shit out of your girlfriend? Because we gotta compare apples to apples with ol' Mel here.

jett

D-Member
From what I understand, there was a time when RDJ was toxic and no one wanted to work with him after he got out of rehab, except Mel who stuck up for him and supported him. RDJ, I would imagine, now probably attributes his success to that support.

It was more than just stucking up for him. RDJ was uninsurable and thus unhirable. Gibson paid the insurance bond himself so that RDJ could work on the Singing Detective, which paved the way for this comeback.

Lmo911

Mel's upbringing laid the foundation for his problems in public and he should have been called out on it. He shouldn't be a pariah forever though. If he's made an effort to correct his short comings, then I'm all for it. He is an excellent director and actor.

If not, then Disney needs to take a pass.

Nah.

Just let Mel do his Viking movie. Apocalypto was absolutely phenomenal. I want more of that. There are like 50 people that could do Iron Man 4. Not many can/will do what Mel can with the Viking film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom