• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane Black: RDJ wants Mel Gibson to direct Iron Man 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

My argument is your argument is ridiculous, man.

It's outlandish as hell.

None of this is going to happen.

My argument is simply that Disney is motivated by profit and I disagree that Disney would pass up good opportunities because they have other opportunities.

I have said that other arguments make more sense, such as RDJ having more financial incentive to give up such a demand.

How is any of the above outlandish?

My argument is

Your argument was that Disney shareholders would force Kevin Feige to hire Mel Gibson to make Iron Man 4 because they need that guaranteed 1 billion that would cease to become guaranteed the minute they hired Mel Gibson.

None of this is happening.

numble

Your argument was that Disney shareholders would force Kevin Feige to hire Mel Gibson to make Iron Man 4 because they need that guaranteed 1 billion that would cease to become guaranteed the minute they hired Mel Gibson.

None of this is happening.

No it is not, and please stop editing my quotes to recharacterize what I am saying.

I'm not "recharacterizing" anything. It's what you're saying.

Anyone can scroll right back up and see it for themselves, man. I'm not editing your posts. They're right there.

numble

I'm not "recharacterizing" anything. It's what you're saying.

Anyone can scroll right back up and see it for themselves, man. I'm not editing your posts. They're right there.

You are editing my posts by cutting off my argument and inserting your own characterization of my argument.

When did I say that "Disney shareholders would force Kevin Feige to hire Mel Gibson to make Iron Man 4 because they need that guaranteed 1 billion that would cease to become guaranteed the minute they hired Mel Gibson"?

I responded to your argument that Disney does not care about future billion dollar films because they have other billion dollar films.

I said that if there was an opportunity presented with a strict condition, they would need to weigh the relative merits.

I said they may think that RDJ does not have this strict condition, because RDJ has his own financial incentives.

I did not say Disney shareholders would force Kevin Feige to hire Mel Gibson.

Really cant agree with the whole "People shouldnt be held accountable for things they say while they are drunk" comment.

I mean i do believe that you can do and say things that you wouldnt normally and should be excused for in the grand scheme of things but the things he is on record as saying dont just come out from nowhere.
What do you want to do to him at this point?

He's basically ostracized by the Hollywood film industry for his alleged anti-semitism, he's lost a ton of opportunities, he's had a lot of doors closed on him, at some point people have to realize this isn't going to help anyone, we're depriving the audience of his gift as a top tier director when the Michael Bays of the world is churning out garbage. Somebody fund him on a pro-Israeli film, ffs.

What do you want to do to him at this point?

He's basically ostracized by the Hollywood film industry for his alleged anti-semitism, he's lost a ton of opportunities, he's had a lot of doors closed on him, at some point people have to realize this isn't going to help anyone, we're depriving the audience of his gift as a top tier director when the Michael Bays of the world is churning out garbage. Somebody fund him on a pro-Israeli film, ffs.

Or he can just take responsibility for his actions and make a well-publicized apology. He's been quiet for a while, but that isn't enough if he wants to break into the mainstream again. He needs to learn humility.

From there, work your way up again and start repairing bridges.

You are editing my posts by cutting off my argument and inserting your own characterization of my argument.

I'm not editing your posts. Only you can do that. I'm choosing which part of your posts work best as a springboard to my response to you. That's not editing your posts. That's editing my posts.

Whether your posts are quoted at all doesn't change the content of my response to them outside of their use as a setup for my response.

This argument is silly. Good day to you sir.

numble

I'm not editing your posts. Only you can do that. I'm choosing which part of your posts work best as a springboard to my response to you. That's not editing your posts. That's editing my posts.

Whether your posts are quoted at all doesn't change the content of my response to them outside of their use as a setup for my response.

You are editing how my posts are quoted. I don't see why you need to be so technical and specific about that point when you ignore my specific arguments and recharacterize them.

I still don't understand how my argument that Disney is motivated by profit is silly.

You seem to be taking this issue emotionally for some reason, but the point is this: I disagree with your argument, not your conclusion.

Bobby Roberts said:
This argument is silly. Good day to you sir.
I agree that your argument that Disney does not care about a billion dollar opportunity because it has other billion dollar films in the can is silly and not very persuasive.

Bobby how do you think MK Annihilation would do if it was released now

Bobby really loved Shao Kahn in the movie

For real though, that actor (Brian Thompson) is one of my favorite "That guy!"s in movies. Him and Brion James are always connected in my brain.

Annihilation would probably become a bonafide meme factory had it released today. It'd probably make an extra 10-15mil based on ironic viewings.

ANYWAY: The Guardian interviewed Mel Gibson recently.

What do you make of the current wave of superhero movies? In the 80s, blockbusters were more star-driven.

Some are good. Some are kind of funny ... Guardians of the Galaxy. Or the first Iron Man. And some of them are just like retreats. I mean you can watch them do Spider-Man five times ... There is a slight shift in film. But, then again, I think all films are suffering from people not being able to now open them with their name. It’s a different kind of business these days.

Ever been approached to be in a superhero film?

Yeah, long time ago, to play Thor’s dad. But I didn’t do it.

So not only is RDJ probably not really fighting to get Gibson hired at Marvel, but Gibson's already turned Marvel down once, and doesn't really fuck with Superhero movies period, because movies that can't open on the strength of their star are somehow lesser, to him.

His closer:

Actors have really taken to social media in recent years. Planning to join the party?

No. I don’t tweet. I fart.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can it be that this was the Thor Project before Marvel bought all rights back? Pretty sure the studio already started production but gave them then back.

Joni

No, Shane Black putting him in Kiss Kiss is why he got the Iron Man job.

That was going to happen whether Mel Gibson did anything or not.

The movie made by the Lethal Weapon writer who is also a good friend of Gibson? Mel Gibson vouched for Robert Downey Jr to Black. After Gibson already gave him a lead role in a movie two years earlier including covering the insurance bond, which is what got him back in Hollywood. And that is of course after Gibson didn't turn away from RDJ while he was getting clean, which is one of the things necessary for him to come back.

I asked Mel to present this award for me for a reason. When I couldn’t get sober, he told me not to give up hope and encouraged me to find my faith. It didn’t have to be his or anyone else’s, as long as it was rooted in forgiveness. And I couldn’t get hired, so he cast me in the lead of a movie that was actually developed for him. He kept a roof over my head and food on the table and, most importantly, he said if I accepted responsibility for my wrongdoing and embraced that part of my soul that was ugly—hugging the cactus, he calls it—he said that if I hugged the cactus long enough, I’d become a man.

The movie made by the Lethal Weapon writer who is also a good friend of Gibson

Gibson didn't have to "vouch" for Downey to Shane Black. Downey was hanging out around Shane already. Lethal Weapon getting bought and made by Dick Donner wasn't Mel Gibson's doing.

I'm not saying Gibson & Downey aren't friends, or that Gibson didn't go to bat for Downey before. I'm saying Downey's career resurgence has pretty much nothing to do with Mel Gibson's "Help" at all because the circumstances that led to his hiring on Kiss Kiss are Gibson-free. It was all Shane Black.

Which is probably why when he had the opportunity to reciprocate on Iron Man 3, he tapped Shane, not Mel.

Joni

Gibson didn't have to "vouch" for Downey to Shane Black. Downey was hanging out around Shane already. Lethal Weapon getting bought and made by Dick Donner wasn't Mel Gibson's doing.
I'm just saying Shane Black and Mel Gibson have known each other for ages, not that he got it made. As for Kiss Kiss, Mel Gibson did vouch Robert which is why they moved away from people like Mel Gibson for the role.

Austin Film Festival 2005 said:
Black mentioned that there was real chemistry between the two and that they remain good friends after filming. He also said that Mel Gibson called up Joel Silver and personally vouched for Robert Downey Jr. to land him the gig. Shane Black originally kept seeing Downey around the office because he was dating one of Joel Silver's producers, but after Gibson's call he just sat him down and had him read a few lines and it was like hearing the perfect translation of his script coming out of Doney's mouth. I have to say that's true, Downey's dialogue, both in the film and the narration, is supremely natural and hilarious.

I'm not saying Gibson & Downey aren't friends, or that Gibson didn't go to bat for Downey before. I'm saying Downey's career resurgence has pretty much nothing to do with Mel Gibson's "Help" at all because the circumstances that led to his hiring on Kiss Kiss are Gibson-free. It was all Shane Black.
Without getting sober and without getting the SInging Detective, he would not have been seen as lead material for Kiss Kiss in the first place. Aside from helping him for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Of course, it is still his performance that got him into Iron Man and his performance there that got him to return for Iron Man 2 if Terrence Howard is to be believed.

Which is probably why when he had the opportunity to reciprocate on Iron Man 3, he tapped Shane, not Mel.
Or because Shane Black needed it more at that point, Mel Gibson was working on stuff while Black just sobered up?

SpaceWolf

Banned
I swear, one of these days I'm going to discover a thread on this website that DOESNT involve Bobby Roberts getting into a long, drawn out argument with somebody.

Anyway, Apocalypto is pretty good and I liked Mel Gibson in Chicken Run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom