• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane Black: RDJ wants Mel Gibson to direct Iron Man 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
What.

No, sorry. What.

Apparently when Mel Gibson was big he was one of the few people who cared about and helped RDJ when RDJ had major problems with substance abuse and was subsequently persona non grata in Hollywood. Now the roles are reversed with Gibson's very public substance abuse problems and exile from most Hollywood roles and RDJ, who is currently one of the most in demand actors, wants to help Gibson.

However, there is most likely someone else on this board that knows more about the subject.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
He's a jackass. I can't abide racist cunts, drunk or otherwise. I've been piss drunk before, and didn't find myself spouting off antisemetic and other racist bullshit.

But he's also a fantastic director. I think it'd be a really interesting Iron Man movie, especially if the script is good.

I'm not the fan of his that I once was, but I thought he was great in Get the Gringo.

I'll just never look at him the same way. I can't forgive racism though. Unless he's genuinely changed his ways.

CazTGG

So, we all know that there's no way that Disney would let Mel Gibson 100 feet within the range of a Marvel film, let alone directing one, right? It's not happening, namely because of everything he's said and done, sober or not, skillful or not
(Braveheart is a middle finger to history)
. The man doesn't deserve to be near the Marvel Cinematic Universe unless he's playing The Hate-Monger.

Even then, i'd say that's too good for him.

So, we all know that there's no way that Disney would let Mel Gibson 100 feet within the range of a Marvel film, let alone directing one, right? It's not happening, namely because of everything he's said and done, sober or not, skillful or not
Braveheart is a middle finger to history
. The man doesn't deserve to be near the Marvel Cinematic Universe unless he's playing The Hate-Monger.

Even then, i'd say that's too good for him.

But what if RDJ refuses to make Iron Man 4 unless Gibson directs? We've seen that hoops Disney jumps through for RDJ. He's (one of) their money machines.

Wereroku

But what if RDJ refuses to make Iron Man 4 unless Gibson directs? We've seen that hoops Disney jumps through for RDJ. He's (one of) their money machines.

They will probably just not make the movie. He will still be in the other movies. He has a fuck ton of money but I don't see him walking on Disney just for Gibson.

They will probably just not make the movie. He will still be in the other movies. He has a fuck ton of money but I don't see him walking on Disney just for Gibson.

Good point. But do you really think Gibson being the director would work against Disney? If anything it creates hype.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Who's to say that Disney really needs RDJ for IM4? Until recently, RDJ said he was done playing Iron Man after Infinity War. Marvel's got so many other heroes to make films out of anyway.

Disney/Marvel can create hype without the problems Gibson bring

Hell they lit half the internet on fire with the Jordan casting news.

Imagine if they got Kanye to produce the score.

Or feature him in the film as an extra or something.

eyes.png

Toxi

Banned
There's so many inconsistencies, hypocrisy, convenient lines in the sand. Known rapists get work. Known hard core drug users get work. Ex convicts get work. And the whole system enables a lot of the behavior. I'm not defending Mel Gibson but to be cast aside because of a few comments while A list stars are trying to score smack and diddling underage boys and girls as we speak is a bit strange.
I don't see how this is a problem.

Nope, as woke as Marvel is being about Black Panther, they would put Kendrick in the movie and doing the title theme

With a remix featuring Future.

Is woke a thing now?

Kendrick is a damn fine rapper and lyricist, but I need my man Kanye behind the production wheel. Maybe Future can be himself in the film, he's responsible for all the club bangers in Wakandan nightclubs, lmao.

Nosgotham

ive said and done things i didnt really mean when i was drunk and felt like complete shit after. if my life was under a microscope i dont think i would cope lol. i mean i didnt say the shit he said but still. i have a hard time holding people to their drunk selves cuz we all done some dumb shit while drunk we would never do sober.

anywhoo, i thought im3 was a turd. they gotta do something good with 4

Is woke a thing now?

Kendrick is a damn fine rapper and lyricist, but I need my man Kanye behind the production wheel. Maybe Future can be himself in the film, he's responsible for all the club bangers in Wakandan nightclubs, lmao.

oh god please no

Slayven

Is woke a thing now?

Now I want to see Martin Freeman as Ross getting his life to a Future song

Captain-2.jpg

Blader

That's garbage. Alcohol lowers inhibitions and doesn't give you the racist

Right, alcohol takes away inhibitions. But does that mean it unlocks the secret racist buried deep inside your brain? Or, if you''re a mean angry drunk, does it compel you to just grab at whatever hateful shit you can think to say in order to hurt someone?

I have no idea if Gibson is a deep-seated racist (although the weird, kind of random nature of saying some of the shit he did I would think points to that stuff percolating inside him), but I also don't think being drunk automatically = your true self.

"Raped by a pack of niggers" Mel Gibson? Is RDJ back on the sauce again?

But didn't you hear Shane Black. He didn't mean it. He was just drunk, and having a bad day, and I'm sure his best friends are black and Jewish. /s

Like, what the fuck ever, Shane. Mel fucked himself and deserves all the shit he gets for it.

But didn't you hear Shane Black. He didn't mean it. He was just drunk, and having a bad day, and I'm sure his best friends are black and Jewish. /s

Like, what the fuck ever, Shane.

I mean, I didn't really take it as all that

But Shane Black was, by his own admission, a motherfucking party monster for a long time. He probably compares it to a situation where he was absolutely sloshed and said some dumb shit, when it's several magnitudes worse than anything he's done

Wereroku

Good point. But do you really think Gibson being the director would work against Disney? If anything it creates hype.

He is super toxic because not only did he go on a racist rant but he did it multiple times. Also there are signs of him trying to make amends to the community but without a very public apology and an admission of his sins it's pretty much worthless. Honestly the only way Disney could ever work with him is if they went on a massive pr campaign and he basically apologized for everything and revealed the rehab and work he has gone through to fix himself and then worked hard to present the image of a broken man fixing himself. IM4 would make a shitload of money but I doubt it would be worth the time and effort required to fix a broken racist. But who knows maybe RDJ will spend his own money on it and back the effort and Gibson is actually remorseful for his words and actions. There is a minuscule chance it could happen but don't bet your life or money on it.

Yeah, I used to be kind of a racist when I was an edgy teenager but now I'm not.

However, Mel Gibson hasn't done anything to show us that he's been "rehabilitated," and his racism/misogyny/homophobia are so extreme that I think it's fair that people want him out of the industry completely.

If people felt like he was rehabilitated I am sure he would be welcomed back. But how the hell do you even tell that. With a junkie you can do a drug test but how can you tell what is going on inside someone's brain. I like to think that a deeply racist person can be rehabilitated but I don't know if they really can be. Would him admitting he is wrong and never acting on it or expressing it again be rehabilitated but how do you know they didn't just learn to hide it better.

GamerJM

Banned
Serious question: Do you guys think a racist person can never be rehabilitated?

Yeah, I used to be kind of a racist when I was an edgy teenager but now I'm not.

However, Mel Gibson hasn't done anything to show us that he's been "rehabilitated," and his racism/misogyny/homophobia are so extreme that I think it's fair that people want him out of the industry completely.

it seemed like hes been laying low for a while, or did i completely miss more bad stuff?

ReaperXL7

No, but I would assume that if he's no longer racist he'd issue a sincere apology or something.

Unless he thinks no one would believe him anyway which judging from some of the comments in this thread I think is accurate for many.

I can understand why RDJ would go to bat for Gibson. It's easy to look at someone who is an alcoholic and make snap judgements when you have no real experience with it or with people affected by it but RDJ had A lot of problems with substance abuse prior to his come back so while he's absolutely doing this to help someone who helped him I'm sure another part of it is that RDJ knows quite well what Mel is going through.

Alcoholism is a disease that doesn't just "release your inhibitions and make you honest" it can completely fuck up your view on everything around you, make you do or say things that you don't mean or would never do otherwise but because of your dependence on it,it creates a no win situation if you can't get sober. Many Native American tribes have dealt with the consequences of Alcoholism for generations and I've seen it completely wreck the lives of people who I know are genuinely decent, or even great people when not using. I'm often surprised how lightly people still often treat alcohol dependence.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
No, but I would assume that if he's no longer racist he'd issue a sincere apology or something.

Apparently he's done a lot, just not publicly. To some that's not good enough, while others see more value and sincerity in keeping it private. Most likely a majority of people fall into the former group. They want to see those Diane Sawyer or whoever interviews, photo ops with important figures and locations and what have you. And there is merit to that, it's not easy to place yourself in the spotlight like that. Though at the same time for a lot of people, especially actors and public figures it doesn't always mean a whole lot. They do the song and dance, pay their penance and move on. It's just what you do, regardless of whether you actually mean it or not unfortunately.

http://deadline.com/2014/03/mel-gibson-career-hollywood-deserves-chance-697084/

I would like to think that he has gotten control over his life, alcoholism and any other problems he might have. I would like to think that people like RDJ, Shane Black, Allison Hope Weiner, Whoopi Goldberg, Jodie Foster and a whole bunch of others who have defended him and have know him personally for a long time see and know things we never will and that they know he's not the person on those tapes anymore, or ever was, and they are not totally blind to real issues and beliefs he may have, drunk or not. It would suck to think all these people are continually going to bat for someone who is a terrible person and who hasn't actually mended his ways.

Though that's far from an uncommon thing sadly. Everyone has blind spots, most often for their friends and family members. Not to mention issues that may not actually affect them. What Shane said, while definitely dismissive, probably said it like that due to the fact that what we know from that DUI and leaked tapes is something that doesn't match with his near 30 year relationship with Gibson, not to mention his own battle with alcoholism. So while it's wrong to just treat what Mel said like it was nothing, to him it's not representative of the person he knows. From his perspective it's likely just an unfortunate, but ultimately unimportant, event that happened years ago and is nothing like the Mel he knows and interacts with.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Strongly disagree with this basic premise.
And the things Mel Gibson has said and done stone cold sober aren't any better than the record of his DUI arrest.

But hey, Hollywood gotta protect its own at any cost, right?
An antisemetic tirade ten years ago isn't even what anybody cares about. The guy beat his wife and knocker her teeth out. "It's okay because he was drunk" isn't an excuse for anything, but it most certainly doesn't forgive criminal violence.

Let marvel decide that

Who else would decide that? It's not like I actually speak for Marvel here. But I also don't see any sort of reality in which Marvel invites this level of horseshit down upon their own shoulders for the sake of Iron Man 4, which doesn't even appear to be a thing anyone really wants, but mostly exists as a hypothetical with the primary result of rehabbing Mel Gibson's career.

Like I've been asking all thread long - what's in it for Marvel to spend money and their goodwill on that result? What do they get out of it that they can't get any other, much safer potentially more lucrative way?

How is this way forward at all appealing when looking at it from any other vantage point but "Give Mel a chance?"

Mike Fleming is a turd, though, so his musings on journalistic integrity are also pretty fuckin' suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom