• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane Black: RDJ wants Mel Gibson to direct Iron Man 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

The only way Mel is going to rehab himself is by staying sober and doing serious outreach. Mend fences, rebuild bridges and make an effort to understand himself and the hurt he caused folks.

I'd be perfectly willing to give him a chance, but I'm not part of the offended class (unless you include the wigs from Braveheart).

this is Hollywood. All Mel has to do is make a blockbuster and 'all is forgotten and forgiven' Tho, I highly doubt Disney will be the company to give him that chance. And RDJ needs to relax.

Mel should reach out to WB/DC... LOL

I get what you're saying, but it's a business and they're not passing up a guaranteed biilion over bad press.

They wouldn't be passing up a guaranteed billion. Their guaranteed billions are coming in regardless who directs an Iron Man 4, or whether an Iron Man 4 even exists.

It's a business: Do you want to spend the time, the money, the goodwill, and the intensely focused marketing campaign necessary to nullify the nonstop negative attention Disney's rehabilitation of Mel Gibson will recieve? For a "guaranteed billion" that you can get elsewhere, through other means that don't come attached to that fucking headache?

Say Black Panther lands the way people want it to. Say the reception to it is massive both at home and overseas. Coogler manages to make a better film than both Creed and Fruitvale combined.

You want Marvel to take that goodwill, those funds, and then immediately turn around and tell the world they're going to be hiring the guy who told his wife he hopes she gets raped by a pack of niggers?

Just because Robert Downey Jr. is feeling sentimental?

BumRush

Disney won't do it though. They're like a AAA rated bond right now, with a rather clean reputation. Having a noted racist direct arguably your second biggest property might tarnish that.

(this is coming from someone who thinks Mel is a phenomenal director)

They wouldn't be passing up a guaranteed billion. Their guaranteed billions are coming in regardless who directs an Iron Man 4, or whether an Iron Man 4 even exists.

It's a business: Do you want to spend the time, the money, the goodwill, and the intensely focused marketing campaign necessary to nullify the nonstop negative attention Disney's rehabilitation of Mel Gibson will recieve? For a "guaranteed billion" that you can get elsewhere, through other means that don't come attached to that fucking headache?

Say Black Panther lands the way people want it to. Say the reception to it is massive both at home and overseas. Coogler manages to make a better film than both Creed and Fruitvale combined.

You want Marvel to take that goodwill, those funds, and then immediately turn around and tell the world they're going to be hiring the guy who told his wife he hopes she gets raped by a pack of niggers?

Excellent post. Always 2X more eloquent than myself.

j0hnnix

Can i get a Passion of the Christ Iron Man GIF with Mel Gibsons face ?

Lol.. I hope it happens.. Mel Gibson is a pretty good director. Just hope he is sober when doing it...

Lebron

Mel is a racist, so no surprise he would say racist things when that alcohol removes the safety switch.

Disney isn't giving him any money.

Drencrom

Hollywood surprises me sometimes.

Anally rape an underage girl and flee justice and you're still showered with praise, standing ovations, etc.

Go on a drunken racist rant and you're blacklisted for life.

Yup, the blacklisting and hate Gibson have been getting over the years is pretty disproportionate I must say. Not saying that his drunken racist/sexist rants are in any way acceptable, but he's no way as horrible as some actual criminals in Hollywood that have somehow gone scot-free.

strafer

RDJ was once at the bottom of the barrel and is now the biggest star in the world. I'm sure things will work out for Mel Gibson.

I miss him.

Foggy

If the movie's success was dependent on Mel's involvement, they would gladly trade any supposed ill will for a $1 billion box office return. Since it's Iron Man they can just hire a warm body and not bother with any bumps in the road. If you think you can get the same return with a safe director as a risky one, why bother with the risk?

j0hnnix

Yup, the blacklisting and hate Gibson have been getting over the years is pretty disproportionate I must say. Not saying that his drunken racist/sexist rants are in any way acceptable, but he's no way as horrible as some actual criminals in Hollywood that have somehow gone scot-free.

Lets not start on the pedo's in hollywood... Mel is a di&@ but there is much worse in Hollywood "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany". :p

Calamari41

41 > 38
If the movie's success was dependent on Mel's involvement, they would gladly trade any supposed ill will for a $1 billion box office return. Since it's Iron Man they can just hire a warm body and not bother with any bumps in the road. If you think you can get the same return with a safe director as a risky one, why bother with the risk?

I think that the situation, if there were a situation at all, would be more along the lines of "we can get RDJ to agree to make Iron Man 4 in the first place if we hire Gibson" rather than "Iron Man 4 is happening, why would we pick Gibson?" It would be an interesting calculation on the part of Disney, for sure.

El Topo

"But what about those other people that have done worse things" is a pretty bad defense.
Is it really disproportionate if a guy that was involved in domestic abuse/a death threat and who has made antisemitic and homophobic remarks no longer gets to direct big Hollywood movies?

DeathyBoy

Banned

Thanks for selectively quoting my post out of context. Here's what I actually said.

If they ask RDJ to make Iron Man 4, and he says 'only if Mel directs it', then Mel's getting at least an interview for the job. I get what you're saying, but it's a business and they're not passing up a guaranteed biilion over bad press.

But hey, hyperbole. That's good too.

He's a great director. Braveheart is still my favorite epic drama of all time.

I was so obsessed with that movie that I had a sequence of sound effects in the first battle memorized. I also picked out all the editing mistakes in that first battle as well (like how when the cavalry charges, there is a clip with Scotts with the pikes up before Mel yells "NOW!" to raise them...or like where he is running with the hammer and all of a sudden its gone and hes wielding the sword due to edits). So many movies have tried to emulate this movie...

I would be super interested in a Mel Gibson take on Iron Man, though I sort of think he would be better with Thor what with the various mythical battles.

Foggy

I think that the situation, if there were a situation at all, would be more along the lines of "we can get RDJ to agree to make Iron Man 4 in the first place if we hire Gibson" rather than "Iron Man 4 is happening, why would we pick Gibson?" It would be an interesting calculation on the part of Disney, for sure.

Yeah, probably depends on the success of Black Panther and Dr Strange. If their only guaranteed meal tickets are Guardians, Cap, and Avengers then I could see them POSSIBLY doing that. Of course there's Spiderman as well now. There's such an influx of bulletproof money right now and a packed schedule, it makes it seem highly unlikely.

Slayven

Disney can always make other Marvel movies, what RDJ going to do? Make The Judge 2 and Due Date 2

deadlast

Disney would never allow it

Disney's done worse.

Also, Mel I'm not really sure Mel would make a great Ironman movie for current MCU. He would be great at tackling the whole alcoholism. But I'm not sure that Ironman movie would fit in with the current MCU vision.

WB's, on the other hand, could use Mel's talents for a DC movie much better.

SRG01

Yeah, probably depends on the success of Black Panther and Dr Strange. If their only guaranteed meal tickets are Guardians, Cap, and Avengers then I could see them POSSIBLY doing that. Of course there's Spiderman as well now. There's such an influx of bulletproof money right now and a packed schedule, it makes it seem highly unlikely.

If Marvel Knights was still around, they could possibly toss him Punisher or something. Who knows, it could turn out to be an unexpected gem like Deadpool.

Thanks for selectively quoting my post out of context.

I didn't do that. It's completely in context. I didn't quote the whole thing because I didn't need to in order to address what you'd posted. The context of your post is not only still present, but anyone who thinks something might be missing can just... scroll up. Where your post exists.

I don't even know what "hyperbole" you're talking about here.

Takuan

Not gonna happen, but I'd pay to see it. Mel's an incredible director and I'd love to see him in more flicks. Loved him as the villain in Machete Kills.

Ballsy of Robert Downey Jr. to stick his neck out for him like that, too.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Disney can always make other Marvel movies, what RDJ going to do? Make The Judge 2 and Due Date 2

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of this. Disney is clearly moving ahead full steam under the assumption that there won't be any future Iron Man movies, and they will be more than fine doing so. It would still be interesting to see what they would do, though, considering it would likely be very good money. If RDJ went to them today and unequivocally said "I'm down for one more," I think it's safe to say they'd do what it took to work it into the schedule. If he went to them and said "I'm down for one more if my friend here directs," I'm just saying that it would be interesting to see what would end up happening.

RDJ will, of course, be fine no matter what. He can pull a bigger paycheck than pretty much any other actor in the game just by showing up as a guest star in other Marvel movies.

Can people hate someone forever for some things they said a long time ago? Based on this thread, I guess so but I know I can't. I hope he saw how wrong his line of thinking was in his exile.

Foggy

If Marvel Knights was still around, they could possibly toss him Punisher or something. Who knows, it could turn out to be an unexpected gem like Deadpool.

I would love the hell out of that. Mel could turn into an angrier Verhoeven.

TheFuzz

Not gonna happen, but I'd pay to see it. Mel's an incredible director and I'd love to see him in more flicks. Loved him as the villain in Machete Kills.

Ballsy of Robert Downey Jr. to stick his neck out for him like that, too.

It's really not.... RDJ was an alcholic drug addict and Mel stuck his neck out for him.

If RDJ wants another Iron Man movie and tells Disney he wants Mel or he won't do it, Disney will do it.

I'm with you, though. Mel is a FANTASTIC director and writer and would be the most high-profile and proven director they've hired.

Kaiken

Banned
If RDJ can bounce back from being a Cocaine/Heroin/Hooker addict then shouldn't MG get another chance? My only concern would be directing behind mostly a blue screen with sci-fi/super hero elements. Not sure how much experience Mel has with that. I say rock it!

strafer

When has Mel ever proven he can appeal to a younger audience? I think he's mostly directed stuff appealing to older people.

220px-Whatwomenwant.jpg

If RDJ wants another Iron Man movie and tells Disney he wants Mel or he won't do it, Disney will do it.

The question is whether Marvel wants/needs another solo Iron Man movie.

I don't think they do. Not at this point, where their original set of superheroes is starting to get long in the tooth and they're all appearing in team-up movies anyway. Whatever this movie would be, it would have to come after Infinity Wars 1 & 2. Which means we're at least 5 years out from it even possibly getting completed (probably closer to 6-7). That's a Robert Downey Jr. in the ass-end of his 50s, directed by Mel Gibson, in Iron Man 4, coming almost 10 years after Iron Man 3.

I don't see where Kevin Feige signs on for that.

anaron

If RDJ can bounce back from being a Cocaine/Heroin/Hooker addict then shouldn't MG get another chance? My only concern would be directing behind mostly a blue screen with sci-fi/super hero elements. Not sure how much experience Mel has with that. I say rock it!
You're equating addiction to being a racist, homophobic misogynist? lol

SilentRob

Also, for all the people acting like that one bout of anti-semitism was just a one-time-thing and, haha, well, everybody says they hate jews if they are drunk, right?, here is a small list of things Mel Gibson said:

- "You look like a fucking pig in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of niggers, it will be your fault." - Phonecall to his Ex

-"I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first." Same phonecall

- To the same ex, asking him ""What kind of man is that who would hit a woman when she is holding a child in her hands, hitting her twice in the face?": "You know what, you fucking deserved it."

-""With this look, who's going to think I'm gay? I don't lend myself to that type of confusion. Do I look like a homosexual? Do I talk like them? Do I move like them?" and then in response to that "I'll apologize when hell freezes over. They can fuck off."

Mel Gibson is a racist, sexist, anti-semitic homophobe and I find it frankly horrifying how many of you would like to give him the possibility to direct not only one of the biggest movie franchises in the world, but one of the biggest movie franchises partly aimed at children. Fuck that.

What sucks is Mel is a bone headed idiot. And I love the guy's work. He did not mend his ways. He did not reach out to the Jewish community. He did not ask to be educated, visit memorial sites, museums or make a visit to one of the many horror sites in Europe where Jews were systematically eradicated. No. He just stuck around in the basement and trying to crawl back up based on goodwill from people like Stallone and Jodie Foster (and RDJ). Like dude, you're in showbiz. At least fake the part.

Ultima_5

I always find it odd the Gibson defense force when if he said that today in the current political climate he'd be wayyyyyyy more black balled

Also, for all the people acting like that one bout of anti-semitism was just a one-time-thing and, haha, well, everybody says they hate jews if they are drunk, right?, here is a small list of things Mel Gibson said:

- "You look like a fucking pig in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of niggers, it will be your fault." - Phonecall to his Ex

-"I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first." Same phonecall

- To the same ex, asking him ""What kind of man is that who would hit a woman when she is holding a child in her hands, hitting her twice in the face?": "You know what, you fucking deserved it."

-""With this look, who's going to think I'm gay? I don't lend myself to that type of confusion. Do I look like a homosexual? Do I talk like them? Do I move like them?" and then in response to that "I'll apologize when hell freezes over. They can fuck off."

Mel Gibson is a racist, sexist, anti-semitic homophobe and I find it frankly horrifying how many of you would like to give him the possibility to direct not only one of the biggest movie franchises in the world, but one of the biggest movie franchises for children. Fuck that.

These guys live in a world where Polanski got a standing ovation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom