• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simon Kinberg in talks to direct X-Men Dark Phoenix saga movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

This was actually something GAF's very own Busty was talking about a few weeks ago, but looks like it's picking up steam a bit with other outlets now:

After talking to multiple sources, I can report that writer/producer Simon Kinberg is looking to make his directorial debut with the next X-Men movie and he’s already written the screenplay. From what I hear, it does focus on the Dark Phoenix storyline and it’s now up to the studio if they’ll use his script and if he’ll get to direct it. At this point, I don’t have any information about casting beyond Sophie Turner.

http://collider.com/x-men-7-director-simon-kinberg/

And both Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy met with Kinberg recently, with McAvoy hinting at shooting this summer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQuYoyxB23m/?taken-by=jamesmcavoyrealdeal

So looks like that "X-Men: Supernova" rumor may end up being true after all.

Prompto

Banned
:/
I'm expecting this to be worse than Apocalypse now. I hope they at least get someone else to write the script if he's directing.

it's bad enough he was writing now he has to direct them too.

just gonna pretend that only x1-2-dofp-logan happened. it makes the film franchise look a lot better too when you just see it as the relationship between Logan and the mutants, particularly xavier. that's a fantastic arc, with (apparently going by Logan impressions) some great payoff at the end.

fuck the other movies (including first class)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Was hoping we'd get an experienced director. I hope it's good regardless, would like to see a decent take on the dark pheonix saga.

Although, no Shiar? Weakens it a bit

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Isn't this a huge project for a first time director? I know he's been around the block but you would think they'd have him cut his teeth on something smaller first and not a major tentpole.

Matty77

Didnt they already fuck up Dark Pheonix so bad and with a shitty movie to boot that they had to reset the entire timeline?

Eh... even as an accuracy guy going to say let this one remain a comic thing, it's classic for a reason.

I have no clue how Kinberg low-key took over Fox's Marvel projects. As writer he's batting 1 for 4 with them, and maybe DoFP turned out great because others helped on the story.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Sure, why not? They done fucked this up twice already in X2/X3 and Apocalypse by depicting the phoenix as Jean's power rather than a separate entity. What's a 3rd time?

The fact that they are condensing the story down to 1 movie tells me they have no clue or don't care.

Hex

Banned
Much better than Apocalypse.

Apocalypse would be laughable if it wasn't so boring.

TxCf87n.gif

Sure, why not? They done fucked this up twice already in X2/X3 and Apocalypse by depicting the phoenix as Jean's power rather than a separate entity. What's a 3rd time?

Well to be fair it was not until after Jean died and was reborn in X Factor that anyone came up with that idea.

I have no clue how Kinberg low-key took over Fox's Marvel projects. As writer he's batting 1 for 4 with them, and maybe DoFP turned out great because others helped on the story.

DoFP is such an anomaly. I feel like it only turned out being so good because Singer made it a point to take back the movie series he started and put his finish on it and correct things.

and then he decides to follow it up with that awful Apocalypse movie :(

should have left on a high note.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

just gonna pretend that only x1-2-dofp-logan happened. it makes the film franchise look a lot better too when you just see it as the relationship between Logan and the mutants, particularly xavier. that's a fantastic arc, with (apparently going by Logan impressions) some great payoff at the end.

i didn't think i'd ever see the day where you and i would agree on movies but... i agree.

They could save a lot of money, make a much tighter film, and introduce a lot of new faces by doing the Mutant Massacre instead.

But who needs Sinister, Sabretooth, the Morlocks, Gambit, Wolverine, and X Factor when you can do another nerfed Phoenix story?

Prompto

Banned
DoFP is such an anomaly. I feel like it only turned out being so good because Singer made it a point to take back the movie series he started and put his finish on it and correct things.

and then he decides to follow it up with that awful Apocalypse movie :(

should have left on a high note.
I think Days of Future Past is the only good film he's written at all.
Though Mr. and Mrs. Smith is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Kinberg should just stick to producing. He seems decent at that at least.

Slayven

They could save a lot of money, make a much tighter film, and introduce a lot of new faces by doing the Mutant Massacre instead.

But who needs Sinister, Sabretooth, the Morlocks, Gambit, Wolverine, and X Factor when you can do another nerfed Phoenix story?

Gambit is getting his own solo joint. 150 mil worth

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I actually think the new characters set up in Apocalypse have potential, but I'm skeptical about Kinberg's inconsistent filmography.

Slaythe

You might as well count X-men 3, it makes DOFP much better since they undo this trash.

duckroll

I'm sure this will go as well as Robert Orci's directorial debut on Star Trek XIII, and Alex Kurtzman's directorial debut on Venom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom