• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simon Kinberg in talks to direct X-Men Dark Phoenix saga movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't going to happen, stop teasing his fan.

PMRX5YJ.gif

I'm sure this will go as well as Robert Orci's directorial debut on Star Trek XIII, and Alex Kurtzman's directorial debut on Venom.

kurtzman moved on to something better in The Mummy anyways. looks like a supernatural mission impossible flick. hopefully it's not trash, i'm one of 4 people actually hoping the best for that universal monsters idea.

Mr-Joker

Banned
They should give the right back to DC. ;p

Much better than Apocalypse.

Apocalypse would be laughable if it wasn't so boring.

Agreed, I keep forgetting that I watched Apocalypse but yet can remember watching Deadpool, Civil War, Doctor Strange and the DC movies.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Just set fire to a fucking trash can and film it for 2 hours with Jackman wandering by at the 1 hour 50 minute mark to say "Kinbergs script in there?" out loud.

duckroll

kurtzman moved on to something better in The Mummy anyways. looks like a supernatural mission impossible flick. hopefully it's not trash, i'm one of 4 people actually hoping the best for that universal monsters idea.

Well, even if it does turn out to be trash, at least he's ruining a brand new cinematic universe (that no one asked for) rather than (further) damaging an existing franchise brand!

.JayZii

Banned
I can't wait for Sansa Stark to burst out of the water screaming, "I AM FIRE AND LIFE INCARNATE! NOW AND FOREVER, I AM THE PHOENIX!".

Wood Man

At this point is it impossible to coherently make sense of the X-Men cinematic universe timeline?

It's like they keep trying to tie them together but the blocks don't match up.

icespide

Banned
Is that the same universe where there was no Sony hack, Amy Pascal still runs Sony Pictures, and Hillary Clinton is president?

are you saying there's a universe where Trump isn't president but Spider-Man isn't part of the MCU? I've never been so conflicted

Matty77

They could save a lot of money, make a much tighter film, and introduce a lot of new faces by doing the Mutant Massacre instead.

But who needs Sinister, Sabretooth, the Morlocks, Gambit, Wolverine, and X Factor when you can do another nerfed Phoenix story?
I could go for this. Could be done tight and cheap, with some strong dark overtones that are actually scary and not just edgelord.

Bernbaum

What makes the Phoenix saga such an iconic event for the X-men is the incredibly long build up and payoff that had cosmic consequences and affects each character differently, and fundamentally changes the direction of the team to come. It's not just about Jean being the host for some spectacular power. It's not an isolated event. You can't shove all that in one movie.

Last Stand fucked it up. Apocalypse fucked it up.

duckroll

Kinberg is the weak leak of the current crop of films. His script for Apocalypse was the problem. Not Singer.

What I don't understand is how Kinberg got into the position he did. Singer directed 3 X-men films before that, has a proven track record, made the franchise what it is in films. Kinberg is.... who? How did he become such a powerful writer-producer in multiple franchises across multiple studios?

Bernbaum

At this point is it impossible to coherently make sense of the X-Men cinematic universe timeline?

Having a scruffy convoluted mess of conflicting timelines, contradictions and retcons is one of the best things the films have done to honour the comics.

Sean C

What makes the Phoenix saga such an iconic event for the X-men is the incredibly long build up and payoff that had cosmic consequences and affects each character differently, and fundamentally changes the direction of the team to come. It's not just about Jean being the host for some spectacular power. It's not an isolated event. You can't shove all that in one movie.
It is perfectly possible to do the Dark Phoenix in one movie. They've already done the buildup to Jean getting the Phoenix's power in Apocalypse, so that's covered.

The problem with The Last Stand was cramming the movie full of other stuff rather than focusing on one plot or the other.

Blader

First Class -> DOFP -> Apocalypse -> Supernova (?) -> Deadpool -> DOFP epilogue -> Logan

The older ones are erased. Though some version of those movies must have still happened in the new timeline.

Sean C

First Class -> DOFP -> Apocalypse -> Supernova (?) -> Deadpool -> DOFP epilogue -> Logan

The older ones are erased. Though some version of those movies must have still happened in the new timeline.
Logan is basically an Elseworlds story, according to the creators, but otherwise that's correct.

What I don't understand is how Kinberg got into the position he did. Singer directed 3 X-men films before that, has a proven track record, made the franchise what it is in films. Kinberg is.... who? How did he become such a powerful writer-producer in multiple franchises across multiple studios?

His father was a producer, apparently. Good old nepotism to the rescue (I suspect).

Also, money matters, not quality. So far, if we ignore the duds he script doctored, he has avoided being the unlucky fool and continues on being the lucky kind.
It's kind of weird how similar Hollywood is to investor cycles: a lot of really good directors were wiped out going from the 90s to the 00s, and the newer ones are only good at avoiding duds, not being good at the craft. The next shift will wipe them out too, most likely.

Wood Man

This is what I'm talking about. What did we keep, and what did we erase?

So where does The Wolverine fit into all this? Sometime before Deadpool?

What confuses me is In the epilogue old Prof X & Magneto confront him. Wolvie says "You're alive" referring to his death in "The Last Stand." It's an obvious tease for DOTFP.

I was kinda hoping they'd go with a completely different creative group. Kinberg of all people?

Also, stop trying to make Dark Phoenix happen.

I watched Apocalypse with my girl this past week-end.

It's fine. The hate is overblown. X-Men 3 The Last Stand was worse, so was Origins.

What confuses me is In the epilogue old Prof X & Magneto confront him. Wolvie says "You're alive" referring to his death in "The Last Stand." It's an obvious tease for DOTFP.

The Wolverine is in the old timeline. When Old Prof & Magneto greet him at the airport, it's setting up the events of Days of Future Past, which is the movie that retconned out the old timeline. As for why Old Prof X was alive at the end of The Wolverine and in DoFP, I have no idea. I think this was just Singer not giving a shit about the continuity of The Last Stand.

icespide

Banned

the beauty of what they did with DOFP is that whatever they want can be different and they don't have to explain shit

Sean C

The Wolverine did occur before DOFP's future timeline, but it, along with all the other post-FC movies, were revised.

I don't know how events played out in the revised timeline, but it's not like it really matters, since we're never revisiting that period. It's basically a pre/post-Crisis situation.

They could save a lot of money, make a much tighter film, and introduce a lot of new faces by doing the Mutant Massacre instead.

But who needs Sinister, Sabretooth, the Morlocks, Gambit, Wolverine, and X Factor when you can do another nerfed Phoenix story?

smh this makes so much sense not surprised they wouldn't do it. Tbh we need a reboot after Logan.

Sean C

Why would that be a much tighter film? You just reeled off a bunch more characters they'd need to introduce, whereas the key players in the Phoenix Saga, other than whoever they'll have in the Mastermind role, are already in place.

Spaghetti

Fox should let him do it.

It'll probably sink the franchise, but it'll also be the impetus for Fox to finally strip the series of its immense baggage and reboot it in a few years.

Slayven

It is pretty amazing that Fox pretty much started the modern superhero movie boom. But they have actually profited from it the least. 9 movies and only 4.3 billion?

I think they should just leave the Phoenix alone, they're never going to do it justice. I had such high hopes for it too considering how X-2 ended. Same goes with Spiderman and Venom

B33

Banned
Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldberg were what kept me tethered to the films after the awful X3.

Apocalypse killed my interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom