• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simon Kinberg in talks to direct X-Men Dark Phoenix saga movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

This is what I'm talking about. What did we keep, and what did we erase?

Probably most, if not all, of Singer's first two movies. Probably little or none of X3. Maybe some future X-Men movies, like this one, will flesh out those gaps. Maybe not.

So where does The Wolverine fit into all this? Sometime before Deadpool?

Nowhere. It's gone. Every X-Men movie released before Days of Future Past is in the old timeline, which was erased (the lone exception being First Class, which was set in the 60s, before any time travel occurs).

What confuses me is In the epilogue old Prof X & Magneto confront him. Wolvie says "You're alive" referring to his death in "The Last Stand." It's an obvious tease for DOTFP.

Right, it leads into the dark future seen in DOFP, which is erased - along with the rest of the timeline - by the end of that movie.

Why would that be a much tighter film? You just reeled off a bunch more characters they'd need to introduce, whereas the key players in the Phoenix Saga, other than whoever they'll have in the Mastermind role, are already in place.

The actual Dark Phoenix saga is a space opera that at minimum involves the Hellfire Club, Sinister, and The Shiar. The attempt at a space opera (if the Supernova rumors are true) carries a $150 million price tag these days.

I'm imagining a Raid-style visceral action film with Sinister in the background pulling the strings. Perfect time to recast Wolverine. Focus on heroes and villains with CQC skills. Go for a hard R again. Finally give us a Wolverine vs Sabretooth fight that's actually good. Cast some Mutant redshirts to get wrecked by the Reavers. Make Gambit morally ambiguous. Recast Rogue with actual superpowers. Make Storm great again.

All those Xmen are a known quantity, but it doesn't even need to be an Xmen movie, make it the X-factor movie featuring Wolverine for all I care.

Sean C

The actual Dark Phoenix saga is a space opera that at minimum involves the Hellfire Club, Sinister, and The Shiar. The attempt at a space opera (if the Supernova rumors are true) carries a $150 million price tag these days.
Sinister isn't involved in the Dark Phoenix Saga. And the Hellfire Club won't be in the cinematic version, since they already used it earlier.

They'll have to introduce some new elements for the next installment, of course; that's always the case. But I don't see how DPS would be easier to do. Not to mention, they already set up Jean as Phoenix.

Wood Man

The Wolverine did occur before DOFP's future timeline, but it, along with all the other post-FC movies, were revised.

I don't know how events played out in the revised timeline, but it's not like it really matters, since we're never revisiting that period. It's basically a pre/post-Crisis situation.

Probably most, if not all, of Singer's first two movies. Probably little or none of X3. Maybe some future X-Men movies, like this one, will flesh out those gaps. Maybe not.

Nowhere. It's gone. Every X-Men movie released before Days of Future Past is in the old timeline, which was erased (the lone exception being First Class, which was set in the 60s, before any time travel occurs).

Right, it leads into the dark future seen in DOFP, which is erased - along with the rest of the timeline - by the end of that movie.

Thanks for the explanation guys. It's making more sense to me now.

And should I just throw away Wolverine Origins like it never happened I guess.

Slayven

Colossus had an amazing scene in the Phoenix saga. Slugging it out on the moon with Gladiator . Hell it was part of the amazing "We ride together, we die together" moment for the X-men.

I don't expect any of that.

Matty77

Colossus had an amazing scene in the Phoenix saga. Slugging it out on the moon with Gladiator . Hell it was part of the amazing "We ride together, we die together" moment for the X-men.

I don't expect any of that.
For me one of the greatest Colossus moments ever was "punching" Proteus, which also happens to be one of my favorite stories and I would love to see live, but not from these creative teams they would ruin it, plus it would be expensive as all hell considering Kevin's reality bending and the ways he uses it.

Slayven

For me one of the greatest Colossus moments ever was "punching" Proteus, which also happens to be one of my favorite stories and I would love to see live, but not from these creative teams they would ruin it, plus it would be expensive as all hell considering Kevin's reality bending and the ways he uses it.

What about him snapping Riptide's neck?

Sean C

Phoenix has too many moving pieces, they should go low and slow. Maybe a nice Brood story? X-men do have other enemies other than other mutants and the government.
Dark Phoenix is not really that complicated. It's centered on one character.

The Brood onscreen would probably be too blatant an Alien knockoff.

hollomat

Banned
Reading his history in Hollywood this sounds like a terrible idea. He's been the writer of the worst movies in the xmen series (last stand and apocalypse) and all his other movies are just terrible.

Seems to be the definition of failing upward and based on his output, seems absolutely talentless.

Edit: Looks like he got where he was because his father was a producer in Hollywood. Makes a lot more sense now.

Slayven

Dark Phoenix is not really that complicated. It's centered on one character.

The Brood onscreen would probably be too blatant an Alien knockoff.

One character's journey. People forget it had hell of a leadup. The X-men movies been shit if your name is not Xavier, Wolverine, or Magneto.

An alien ripoff with people that shoot lasers out their eyes.

Matty77

What about him snapping Riptide's neck?
Also nice. Most of his best fighting moments are having to kill even though Peter is normally opposed to it.

Phoenix has too many moving pieces, they should go low and slow. Maybe a nice Brood story? X-men do have other enemies other than other mutants and the government.
I would kill for a Brood epic, one of my favorite enemies from the Claremont era. Plus any excuse to get the Starjammers on screen works for me.

Still run into the same issue as always where I am not sure I trust the people making these movies. Even the good X-Men films usually seem to miss the point of stuff they adapt.

Slayven

Peter's journey from simple farm boy, to artist, to cold broken man is kinda underrated,

He still one of the most useless X-men, but he had a good ride

Matty77

Peter's journey from simple farm boy, to artist, to cold broken man is kinda underrated,

He still one of the most useless X-men, but he had a good ride
Agreed, his heel turn should have been horrible and was during what I would consider a crap period but him joining Mags at that point made sense.

Also hated that his life granted by the Seige Perilous was ruined.

xevis

Banned
So many directors. So many disappointments. I don't get it. They already worked out a winning formula with First Class. How hard is it to sack Hugh Jackman and then drive that truck full of money to Matthew Vaughn's door? Honestly.

If they're going to do it then can't they just stretch the Phoenix Saga to 2 movies? Never read the comic books but just coming from the cartoon I don't see how they can condense all of that into a 2 hour movie if they actually give us the space opera that we really want.

Dominator

I don't know if throwing him into such a huge production is a good move, but I'm sure he's been on set heavily during all of these movies so he probably knows how massive of a thing it actually is.

I'm willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt as a director as they have no past experience. If its complete shit, he loses my faith going forward.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
No Hugh Jackman on the X-Men movies is like the Chicago Bulls without Michael Jordan.

e0dcc4d11fb3e2e51ce8e721209979a0.jpg

I'm one of the few who enjoyed Apocalypse, flaws and all, and I love the team that we saw at the end but I don't know about this. A blockbuster of this type should never be a directorial debut. Look at what happened with the first Flash director. And no matter how they chose to approach the Dark Phoenix storyline, it's probably a lose / lose situation.

I hope they pick a more experienced director because I really like the current direction (or lack thereof) of the X-Men franchise.

As a big X-men movie fan this hurts :-(

Last stand was ass and Apocalypse was a big disappointment (outside of a few good scenes) and Kinberg was involved in both of those

He needs to get away from the X-men franchise and get some fresh blood in there

Yeah, this is not happening, and even if it's not exactly a good idea to give a big-budgeted film to a first-time director, even if he is a screen-writer. C'mon Fox.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Fuck, I hope Fox aren't seriously considering his pitch, he should make his debut as a director elsewhere.

What's worrisome to me is that he is directing his own script too. So there isn't an experienced director to say "Hey, this doesn't really work for the story we're telling." This is like the cocktail for another Fantastic Four 2015 situation.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
These x-men movies will be forever shit.
Should have known singer wasnt going to step away unless he could keep his shitty idea of x-men alive through someone else.

Hes stepping away to make sure the next x-men movie is horrible, so that he can come back and give us his mediocre x-men movies and people soak it up.

Fuck that guy.

duckroll

What's worrisome to me is that he is directing his own script too. So there isn't an experienced director to say "Hey, this doesn't really work for the story we're telling." This is like the cocktail for another Fantastic Four 2015 situation.

Guess who produced that turd.

This is fucking disgusting.

I have my issues with Singer but he directed two fairly competent movies in X2 and DOFP. X1 is kinda middling these days but its historical impact is undeniable. Apocalypse was a turd but he only shares the blame with Kinberg on that.

This couldn't be more of a monkey's paw situation smfh.

Neoxon

it's bad enough he was writing now he has to direct them too.

just gonna pretend that only x1-2-dofp-logan happened. it makes the film franchise look a lot better too when you just see it as the relationship between Logan and the mutants, particularly xavier. that's a fantastic arc, with (apparently going by Logan impressions) some great payoff at the end.

fuck the other movies (including first class)
You forgot Deadpool & First Class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom