• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jessica Chastain in talks for X-Men: Dark Phoenix villain; Kinberg to direct

Is Jlaw even a major draw for the franchise?

Mystique is one of the easiest characters in fiction to recast.

I would've handled this movie series by having Mystique being portrayed by a different actress in each movie. She's a fuckin' SHAPESHIFTER, yet she stays in JLaw form 75% of the movie.

Rvaan

Banned
I don't see how they can have Magneto be a bad guy again considering how Apocalypse ends with him pretty firmly on their side now

Somehow his daughter didn't die in the last film and she's being raised by someone else after Charles wiped her memory of her real parents. Magneto finds out and turns on the X-Men by handing Jean over the Imperial Guard. He goes to his daughter and has her memories restored. His daughter helps him realise he would be just as bad as Charles if he let the Guard take Jean away and swoops in to help the X-Men.

This makes no sense but I bet Fox could find a way to make this happen.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Jessica Chastain?

Is the end fight going to play out in a court room, or office meeting room? pant suits?
White board in the background?

well,
i hope so.

Jessica Chastain?

Is the end fight going to play out in a court room, or office meeting room? pant suits?
White board in the background?

well,
i hope so.

I don't get it. Is Miss Sloan the only Jessica Chastain movie you've ever seen?

giphy.gif

I see you, most people would think she was a generic cat girl, but her people are closer to skunks

What is it with skunks and French accents? Some national stereotype characterization that existed in the 50's but not now?

99852911359004722.jpg

latest

(I realize the former is who Marvel Hepzibah is ripped off from, I mean inspired by)

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Didn't know who the character was so I did some reading, and I am now confused. She doesn't appear to be a villain, in fact she's not even presented as anti hero. I don't get it :/

Slayven

Didn't know who the character was so I did some reading, and I am now confused. She doesn't appear to be a villain, in fact she's not even presented as anti hero. I don't get it :/

In the original story her brother is the one fucking shit up, she is actually an X-men ally

.JayZii

Banned
I hope Chastain has some dumbass triangular feather hair.

JLaw isn't a good Mystique.

I'm not usually a "not accurate to the source material!" person, but I wish they would actually do the scene of Jean's friend dying and then later Jean getting fucked up by radiation in the space shuttle before awakening to her phoenix powers. Then it would actually be interesting as opposed to "Oh, these powers? I just have these. And I'm mad now."

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I hope Chastain has some dumbass triangular feather hair.

JLaw isn't a good Mystique.

I'm not usually a "not accurate to the source material!" person, but I wish they would actually do the scene of Jean's friend dying and then later Jean getting fucked up by radiation in the space shuttle before awakening to her phoenix powers. Then it would actually be interesting as opposed to "Oh, these powers? I just have these. And I'm mad now."

Not a 1 movie story.
Also, if they do sideways hawk, I hope she dons the sideways hawk helmet. I love hair helmets that fit air styles. The "hairmet"

Fox give Marvel some characters, I want and Uncanny Avengers movie. Wait who has rights to She-Hulk?

This movie should have nothing to do with Magneto or Mystique, smh. They will get most of the screentime as usual, smh

It sucks when the X-Men becomes about 1 or 2 people instead of team dynamics. It's like they missed the entire point.

J_Viper

People always trash talk JLaw, but the only time she was truly insufferable was First Class, though that's more on the dialogue.

Didn't really find her all that bad in Apoc

Famassu

I feel this is another case of doing something too soon. Give us a few movies with Sophie before this Dark Phoenix thing. Build up her character, give some room to experience a few (hopefully good) stories with her (& other people involved), give us a lot of reasons to care & be more impacted by this turn and whatever possibly tragic shit happens.

I think one of the (potential) positives of these continuous universes is that there's a possibility to explore characters from different angles and see these characters grow & go through varied, imaginative scenarios that get more use out of their powers & personalities & interactions with other characters, which can make dramatic moments that much more potent.

While masterfully done a movie in most aspects in its own right, Logan wouldn't have had half the impact if it had been, like, the second film with Jackman & Stewart. Same goes for Civil War. Having spent so much time with Iron Man & Cap, it did elevate the experience. Feel like this, Apocalypse and BvsSupes are rushing to the Civil War & Avengers moments without having done enough work to earn the grand "here are these people you've been following for awhile finally together" gathering of superheroes or drama between heroes (or half-assing both like BvS).

DeathyBoy

Banned
Oh boy this is gonna be set in the 90s right?

I can't wait for Quicksilver to have still not grown up or told Magneto they're father and son, while The Sh'iar are mutants from the future who woke up in the past.

The nerve of someone to talk about a skin irritant that took eight hours to apply.

If it's too much trouble to get into playing the character, they can always hire someone else. Honestly, it's almost uncomfortable how much time she spends not-Mystique in Apocalypse, given the character's history and motivations.

Top Bottom