• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jessica Chastain in talks for X-Men: Dark Phoenix villain; Kinberg to direct

OmniGamer

Sucks that J-Law is back...hopefully just to get slapped around by Jean before finally atomizing her

UiGR3vF.jpg

Slayven

If it's too much trouble to get into playing the character, they can always hire someone else. Honestly, it's almost uncomfortable how much time she spends not-Mystique in Apocalypse, given the character's history and motivations.
And she added nothing to the story

DeathyBoy

Banned
If it's too much trouble to get into playing the character, they can always hire someone else. Honestly, it's almost uncomfortable how much time she spends not-Mystique in Apocalypse, given the character's history and motivations.

It's the dumbest thing ever because, as a God damn shape shifter, she can look like anyone. And Charles can confirm it's her using telepathy. So why they keep hiring this self-entitled brat is beyond me.

The OG Mystique got paid a fraction of the fee, and often was just stood around in group scenes, but she didn't complain about shit - and she was using early 00s shit, not the streamlined crap J-Law uses.

It's the dumbest thing ever because, as a God damn shape shifter, she can look like anyone. And Charles can confirm it's her using telepathy. So why they keep hiring this self-entitled brat is beyond me.

The OG Mystique got paid a fraction of the fee, and often was just stood around in group scenes, but she didn't complain about shit - and she was using early 00s shit, not the streamlined crap J-Law uses.

I think the only thing Jessica Romajin complained about was leaving blue toilet seats around the set.

OG Mystique also went through prosthetic appliances for her entire body for three films. JLaw did for the first movie and then wore a bodysuit after.

It's a shame. The core X-Men cast is great. Tye Sheridan is a strong enough actor to become the leader of the rest, with McAvoy's Xavier guiding them.

With bringing Lawrence back, she'll probably be made the leader again. Fassbender is wonderful as Magneto, but the dude's arc is basically done. Apocalypse concocted a flimsy excuse to bring him back as a villain. Granted, if the story sees Xavier missing or turned, having Magneto step in to help the X-Men bring back his friend works. And, of course, you have Simon Kinberg directing this thing. Because a weak writer transitioning into directing a huge budget blockbuster worked out so well for The Mummy.

Oh well. I'll try my best to go in with an open mind.

I think the only thing Jessica Romajin complained about was leaving blue toilet seats around the set.

She also vomited blue liquid on Hugh Jackman once.

I'm struggling to understand why Kinberg has so much pull in Hollywood. Like, could anyone explain what it is in his history as a producer/writer that gets him so many opportunities? And him directing this is reminiscent of Kurtzman and the Mummy.

Also, they haven't really done a whole lot to set up an interesting retelling of Dark Phoenix, have they?

Genuinely surprised that Lawrence is back. Wonder what kind of money was involved.

Matsukaze

I'm struggling to understand why Kinberg has so much pull in Hollywood. Like, could anyone explain what it is in his history as a producer/writer that gets him so many opportunities? And him directing this is reminiscent of Kurtzman and the Mummy.

Also, they haven't really done a whole lot to set up an interesting retelling of Dark Phoenix, have they?

Genuinely surprised that Lawrence is back. Wonder what kind of money was involved.
They've done fuck all. It's all gonna be crammed into the first half hour of this new movie.

The more I think I think about this the less I'm interested. Kinberg directing? Really? I mean FOX has actually made some really good x-men universe films in Deadpool and Logan and New Mutants sounds promising. Was hoping the main x men might go in s new direction as well but this just seems like another ho hum sequel.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I really like Jessica Chastain but...why? She's​ not even remotely a box office draw. They're wasting so much money on these actors who aren't really that inspired in the role, and don't bring people into the theater.

Everything about this movie just sounds iffy. From top to bottom.

Mafro

That Xorn/Magneto reveal is what made me quit reading X-men comics back in the day. Still pisses me off to this day.

Probably the most egregious revival.
"X-Men emergency indeed, Charles" is one of the best worst moments in comics ever.

People might be reading too much into the 'villain' tag for Chastain. She'll try to kill everyone, sure, but she'll actually have a good reason to, assuming they actually stick to the script with Dark Phoenix this time.

Ugh don't have much hope for this being any good. They really need to hold off on making anymore mainline X-Men movies for a few years and do a complete reboot with a whole new creative team.

So...a villain?

Folks are reacting like the news of Lilandra-as-antagonist is some huge swerve for the character. The OG Dark Phoenix Saga makes sense of it all.

I get that there's little faith in the studio to deliver, but on this point it doesn't seem like an asspull.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Why would you let Kurtzman direct

It sends up red flags for me. Fox needs to bounce back after Apocalypse and they let Kinberg cut his teeth on a gigantic blockbuster...from his own script? There isn't going to be any kind of buffer, like an experienced director saying "Hey, this doesn't work." It's a circle of Yes-Men.

I'm betting Dark Phoenix is a soulless blockbuster with some good ideas, just like The Mummy. Best case scenario.

Top Bottom