• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So What's With The Hate for Infinite Warfare? [Serious]

Ryde3

The space flying stuff looked dope at E3 and I didn't even realize it was COD at first.

BUT the problem is that they won't sell Modern Warfare separate, so fuck them.

People don't want boost jumping any more. They want back on the ground.

Modern Warfare Remastered is offering what people want. But to get Modern Warfare Remastered, you are forced to buy it in a bundle with Infinite Warfare for $80.

Asking for hate here, really.

The basic problem is the brand colliding with expectations. It has been seen to a lesser level with Advanced Warfare.

The regular fanbase would want a Black Ops Forever. The other people generally don't care since it's CoD and thus it "will" be Black Ops Forever.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
First CoD I have been interested in since probably MW2. Never understood the outrage myself, but I do not keep up with the franchise much at all.

Then again, would be pretty bummed if the space treatment ends up feeling like a corridor shooting gallery with the ship combat being little more than smoke and mirrors. I don't expect X-Wing, but I don't want Mad Dog Mcree in space either...

Ronin Ray

This is the first COD I am interested in playing. The campaign looks like so much fun. I thought what they showed at E3 looked great . I think this game having the COD name on it hurts it in a few ways. One being it's not giving a lot of hardcore COD crowd what they wont. Two the typical COD hater is going to hate it because its COD. It will sell like crazy either way.

Kalentan

And that immediately goes to a standard COD shooting sequence. I don't believe that the space combat is going to be a significant thing. Treyarch made a big deal of the jet combat in BO2 and it amounted to nothing.

I doubt they made the ship fully customizable and such and be like: "hey use it for a mission or two."

Odds are you will be able to use it a lot, more so with all the side missions.

Seemed to show well at the Sony Press Conference.

Franchise Fatigue may just be a very real problem with that series at this point, and the repeat futuristic entries exacerbated that problem.

Could benefit from a year off (never happening with Activision though) or a return to its roots in WWII.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Looks like a great COD game, but I am starting hate COD in general. Feels same old shit.

Toxi

Banned
Anything within 200 years with not dissimilar technology is near-future. They still have guns that fire bullets.
The firearm was invented in the 13th century and is nearly the only projectile weapon used today. Why does anybody think we'll not be using guns 300 years in the future?

Seems every year COD gets similar hate from similar groups, with everyone calling this year to be its death, and then it sells like crazy (as always) and I play the hell out of it and enjoy it. Let'em hate.

Anything within 200 years with not dissimilar technology is near-future. They still have guns that fire bullets.

And that immediately goes to a standard COD shooting sequence. I don't believe that the space combat is going to be a significant thing. Treyarch made a big deal of the jet combat in BO2 and it amounted to nothing.

200 years is near-future? I don't think many would consider 200 years to be near lol. Maybe in like the broad scheme of the universe, sure, but for most humans perception 200 years is a very far period of time.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Suffered your way through Killzone 2? It's one of the best first person shooters ever made. In a thread defending Call of Duty Infinite Warfare?

Jesus.

You should feel bad.

(Disclaimer, I am buying IW and don't think it looks horrible, just had to call out this travesty of an opinion)

BigTnaples

It looks boring as fuck. Near-future is super saturated.

But at least you'll be able to play as a woman in multiplayer.

Infinite Warfare is not a near future game at all. Advanced Warfare was. Infinite Warfare takes place in a very distant future.

I stopped following and playing Call Of Duty since Black Ops 1, so I have no opinion really on the matter. They're ok to watch as Youtube movies when someone uploads the campaign there. I haven't seen any media for this new one. Just too many other games to follow instead.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I love first person shooters. I have played Dreamkiller. Hoped that Legendary would be good (it wasn't). Think Darkest of Days has its merits. Suffered my way through Killzone 2. I'll play any and every shooter there is, even when it's bad.

My man, someone else who at least likes things about Darkest of Days! I mean it's in some ways total shit but I enjoyed it and can't help but admire it.

"Time to make some numerical adjustments"

I'm personally really looking forward to Infinite Warfare and think it looks like a lot of fun, really enjoyed the E3 presentation of it. Having that and COD4 Remastered in the same package should be fun.

Suffered your way through Killzone 2? It's one of the best first person shooters ever made. In a thread defending Call of Duty Infinite Warfare?

Jesus.

You should feel bad.

(Disclaimer, I am buying IW and don't think it looks horrible, just had to call out this travesty of an opinion)

He shouldn't feel bad because Killzone 2 controlled like utter shit. It doesn't matter what else was good about it, when the actual act of playing it is bollocks then it can hardly be one of the best first person shooters ever made. It wasn't even the best fps the month it came out. As well as that, any game with the insufferable cunt that is Rico gets automatically disqualified ;)

Jesus.

You should feel bad.

No, this is the travesty of an opinion.

firelogic

What's funny is that during the Sony conference, people were like, "hey, what's this game? CoD? No it can't be. Is it? No way. This looks pretty good. Hell it looks freaking amazing! I want to play it."

Title card: Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

"Oh. It's trash. I'm not interested anymore."

eXistor

All I have is anecdotal evidence I've gathered from my customers. Battefield 1 has about 4 times as many pre-orders. People don't consider IW a real CoD. It's too sci-fi. That's really about it.

I am not the biggest COD fan but I loved what was shown at PS4 conference. So much so that I was surprised when it was unveiled to be COD at the end of the footage. While I will be buying BF1 and TF2 (and likely not CODIW) I don't get the hate towards it. It still looks like a solid game from what has been shown.

EDIT
What's funny is that during the Sony conference, people were like, "hey, what's this game? CoD? No it can't be. Is it? No way. This looks pretty good. Hell it looks freaking amazing! I want to play it."

Title card: Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

haha this is exactly my reaction. Then I was like "Well now I actually care about COD for once"

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
All I have is anecdotal evidence I've gathered from my customers. Battefield 1 has about 4 times as many pre-orders. People don't consider IW a real CoD. It's too sci-fi. That's really about it.

What about the legacy edition with COD4 Remastered ? Seeing many preorders for that out of curiosity ?

I can somewhat sympathize for the Call of Duty fans who feel like after everyone begging to get away from modern military shooters IW switched, yet now future shooters are old hat too. However from my perspective CoD doesn't go much further beyond the most basic concept or setting for their games. It is kind of the epitome of dumb Blockbuster movies. So really at this point you could point a Call of Duty game in any setting but as long as the games are going for the same general vibe I just can't be interested.

The series is just far less appealing to me when Wolfenstein proved that it is still possible for single player shooter campaigns to come out and feel unique/interesting and comprise a consistent vision.

Edit: I am not completely dismissing the new game though. I thought the E3 demo was pretty neat.

I'll be super surprised if Battlefield 1 outsells IW. People always seem to think BF will "finally" overtake COD, and it pretty much never does.

DocSeuss

Jesus.

You should feel bad.

Killzone 2 has great production value and plays like garbage. It's one of, if not the worst first person shooters ever made. I do not and cannot fathom how anyone would like that game.

And yeah, I can defend Infinite Warfare, because no one has played it, so none of us can really honestly say it's bad or isn't bad. I can ask why people think it is bad without having played it. ;)

Ehhhh.....I'm honestly not that interested.

And I wouldn't be surprised of those who ARE interested, that most of them are in for COD4:R.

series fatigue for me.

i don't want ANY more COD games.

i also don't want any more battlefield games.

i also REALLY don't want any more Assassin's Creed games.

i guess i'm just tired in general.

#pahplzunderstand

BigTnaples

Killzone 2 has great production value and plays like garbage. It's one of, if not the worst first person shooters ever made. I do not and cannot fathom how anyone would like that game.

And yeah, I can defend Infinite Warfare, because no one has played it, so none of us can really honestly say it's bad or isn't bad. I can ask why people think it is bad without having played it. ;)

I would say its production value is its weakest part. And it's gameplay the strongest. Killzone 3 had good production values, and the gameplay suffered a bit. Which is why Killzone 2 is still better than Killzone 3.

Mahonay

Banned
I personally stopped caring about Call of Duty after Black Ops 2. I don't hate Infinite Warfare, I just have no interest in CoD games as they currently exist.

And as a fan of the Battlefield games, I can understand people saying the same thing about that series as well.

CoD campaign gameplay design is beyond tired. No matter what coat of paint they slap onto it, I know it'll still end up being a very low impact, highly scripted, low intensity shooter in the vein of everything they've been making since forever. The one time they managed to capture some atmosphere and give the scenarios some weight was CoD4, and that was quickly abandoned for empty spectacle from then on. Nothing I've seen of Infinite Warfare leads me to believe they're making the CoD campaign combat loop engaging. All the space dogfights and structure revamps in the world won't fix the core issue I have with it.

sn00zer

I have been waiting for this to be $10 forever...... havent played a CoD since MW1 and heard it as purdy good.

EDIT: Totally got this confused with Advanced....carry on

nOoblet16

It looks boring as fuck. Near-future is super saturated.

But at least you'll be able to play as a woman in multiplayer.
I see this often but I want to ask you, can you name me any recent worthwhile near future FPS apart from:

1) Advanced Warfare
2) Black Ops 3
3) Titanfall
4) Crysis 2
5) Crysis 3

Black Ops 2 is a mix of past and near future that felt modern more than futuristic, while Ghosts was so low on tech that it might as well be modern.

I'm sorry but I don't see how near future is super saturated.

fernoca

-It has Call of Duty in the name.
-It is published by Activision
-Bonus hate points: It is being made by the "new" Infinity Ward.

It is amusing a lot of time. Like during the PlayStation E3 presentation seeing some talking about "how awesome this space game looks"..."woah"....then, "Ugh, Call of Duty? No wonder it looks like shit".

AHA-Lambda

I can understand some frustration with fatigue and the fact that popularity breeds contempt, plus the whole MWR thing plus it's from IW.

Personally speaking though, I just felt that the reveal trailer was extremely poor. Like it looked pretty damn dull, extremely generic stuff. That said the E3 footage was actually pretty good so hopes are back up.

jsnepo

I personally loved what they showed during the Sony conference. I didn't even realize that it was COD until I saw the breach command. Battlefield 1 bored me though even with the WWI setting.

I also read before that there were game designers from Naughty Dog who went to Infinity Ward so that actually makes this game more interesting for me.

Shmuppers

It just seems so uninspired to me. It doesn't help that I've wanted a large-budget WW1 game for a long time now.

I really don't understand why people hate Ghosts so much. I mean, it's definitely one of the weaker entries, no doubt, but I really don't think it was even that terrible. It was, at worst, a forgettable entry.

I have been waiting for this to be $10 forever...... havent played a CoD since MW1 and heard it as purdy good.

You'll be waiting even more forever for Infinite Wafare to be $10? The hell? Most CODs stay at high price range until the next installment. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you're saying here.

I really don't understand why people hate Ghosts so much. I mean, it's definitely one of the weaker entries, no doubt, but I really don't think it was even that terrible. It was, at worst, a forgettable entry.

The ending pissed people off. The campaign itself was just forgettable as you said. But that ending pushed it over to people hating it.

WaterAstro

People who still hate Infinite Warfare probably didn't watch the Sony Press Conference.

It had the worst trailer I have ever seen for a CoD earlier in the year, then the gameplay they shown at the Sony Press Conference changed mine and many other people's minds.

I've watched a number of reaction videos, even looked at GAFs responses in the thread, and Infinite Warfare looks amazing and fun to play. I hate CoD, and this is the first time I've been impressed in a long time.

Top Bottom