• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So What's With The Hate for Infinite Warfare? [Serious]

Kremzeek

If the space battles are a significant part of single player & multiplayer, I'll be interested.

After Overwatch & possibly Titanfall2, I have no time to invest in another MP shooter.

Jumplion

I don't get why people hated on Infinite Warfare while praising Battlefield 1, they both looked fine (personally Infinite Warfare looked more interesting to me). I'd wager a good part of the hate is because it's Call of Duty and it's become so normal to just hate it and see it as representative of everything wrong with franchise squeezing in the industry. Even I had a moment of "Hey, this looks pretty neat, what is it? Oh, it's Call of Duty? Eeeeeehhhhhhh..." when they first showed it off.

Duxxy3

I'm tired of futuristic settings. There's already so damn many futuristic shooters out already. Three of the last four COD games have been futuristic (four of the last five as of November).

COD used to have at least some down to earth feel to it. Exaggerated of course, but that was to make it fun. After MW3 the series lost any resemblance to reality (even then, that was a stretch).

Now we're flying around and shooting robots with lasers... how the fuck did the series come to this point? What does this even have in common with the earlier COD's, other than name?

It's cool to hate.

Infinite Warfare looks cool but I think Cod could do different eras entirely each year, they have an opportunity no other fps franchise has imo.

Now this is an outsider's perspective as I haven't bought a Cod game since BLOPS but it's how I see it

etta

my hard graphic balls
Anyone know where they will have the Infinite Warfare Vehicles/Weapons stream in 25 minutes? The Twitch Call of Duty channel is showing the Esports League.

It's cod so it's cool to hate it. Plus some of the community is tired of the future crap, so a lot of trolls decided to hop on the bandwagon and shit on it.

Or people are just getting tired of every CoD since 2013 being in the Future?

I mean Activision has 3 fucking Studios working on this franchise and they really didnt bother to change things up and going back in time.

Next years cod? AW2 with Kevin Spacey Robot? yay super exciting...

therapist

sick as hell of the futuristic garbage and OP killstreak rewards

but to be fair , i havent enjoyed a cod game since blops 2

I don't play CoD games tbh, but that e3 Demo completely sold me on the game.
Easily one of the most impressive things shown at the press conferences. I've cooled big time on COD (didn't buy BLOPS 3) but if everything they showed didn't have 'Call of Duty' on it, a lot of people who hate it, would be interested.

I'm definitely intrigued/hopeful for it.

WadeitOut

I need to see reviews. BO3 looked cool to me in early footage but it absolutely bored the hell out of me. COD just doesn't have that same ultra hype about it anymore.

Popcicle

Hot Texas Chili
I'm looking forward to it because I enjoy playing new Call of Duty games, and I'm also a fan of near to far future in general, but for CoD I do think they could use a new setting because they've been here a long time now. Around CoD:World at War, I felt the same way about their WWII setting, and then MW showed up. I think we need another MW moment for the series, whatever that happens to be.

Isn't it part of what makes Battlefield I seem so appealing?

I'm still gonna get it, them, both.

Kalentan

So they just answered a question of their live stream about how could they have gotten what the fans wanted so wrong... Honestly with a question like that and being a person who is dedicated to get into game development. Fuck fans like that. I'm sorry but It's so freaking disrespectful.

Criticism is fine but stuff like that... Just... Questions like that give me fear as a developer. It's not a hard question, it's a condensending question.

And that immediately goes to a standard COD shooting sequence. I don't believe that the space combat is going to be a significant thing. Treyarch made a big deal of the jet combat in BO2 and it amounted to nothing.

Im curious, are you one of those guys who's like "I'd buy CoD 4 remaster standalone, but won't buy this"

I'm just bored by the series to be honest. They control well mechanically, but it's all too samey from Cod4 on and I'm just over it. I don't care that they exist though. But between CoD:X and the new Battlefield's I'll pick BF1. I love the destruction and options given in any game in the Battlefield series.

dezzy8

Im pretty hyped. When I first saw the gameplay and E3 I was like what the fuck game is this!? Then I realized it was CoD and it blew my mind. The A1 gunplay of CoD and space combat? Looks so good to me.

Azriell

Personally, I'm not a fan of CoD campaign, so it's all about MP. I enjoy CoD MP a lot, but I'm over wall running and jetpacks. Until CoD returns to its roots, I just don't care about it any more. Then you have the whole "half of CoD4 MP behind a $80 pay wall," and my indifference turns to a little bit of anger, because I think it's a pretty shitty thing to do. I also think it lends legitimacy to the idea the CoD is getting old when Activision needs to hold CoD4 ransom for CoD IW's sake.

Duxxy3

So they just answered a question of their live stream about how could they have gotten what the fans wanted so wrong... Honestly with a question like that and being a person who is dedicated to get into game development. Fuck fans like that. I'm sorry but It's so freaking disrespectful.

Criticism is fine but stuff like that... Just... Questions like that give me fear as a developer. It's not a hard question, it's a condescending question.

It's the second most disliked youtube video of all time. Obviously they hit a chord. It's a relevant question in that context.

Kalentan

It's the second most disliked youtube video of all time. Obviously they hit a chord. It's a relevant question in that context.

Oh I'm not saying it's not relevant and I applaud them for tackling it straight on (whether it's a PR answer or not), but I still hate the fact that it's question in the first place. The fanbase who are against IW have become like insolent children.

You have to disable chat for any livestream they do because it's all just a load of shit that people spew.

man call of duty sucks now with the triple jumping and the exo suit bs.. wish they would make a good one like MW series again.

probably gonna get BF this year..

zero86r

For me I like a more realistic setting, sci-fi shooters aren't appealing to me tbh.

I tried AW but I just enjoy it as much as previous titles.

I've sunk a ton of hours into black ops 3, the first COD I've really played a lot of, and own it + season pass digitally on PS4. Love the game, already pre ordered digitally IW + SP for $99, mostly cuz it includes a lot of content (including modern warfare remastered) and I bought it during that window when Sony was giving $15 back if you spent $100 on the store.

I think the biggest issue I had was that the trailer looked great, but the music was just... AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. Putting in a slow song, that I think was somehow supposed to be a tribute to David Bowie (who had just died) but a cover version felt very, very poor taste. And then a few days later the Battlefield 1 trailer comes out with that pumping White Stripes song and it made the song choice for the IW trailer even worse. A lot of people were also pissed at the requiring bundling to get Modern Warfare so obviously that did them zero favors.

That said everything about IW looks like it'll be fun, I have no idea if the campaign will be memorable or forgettable but I am pretty sure there is going to be an insane amount of content I get for $100 and its a game I could play for hours a week for months and enjoy it with friends. Thats good enough for me. I'm also going to be buying Titanfall 1 and Battlefield 1 so its a totally packed holiday season.

Metfanant

It's cool to hate things that are popular, but I also think there is an elitist attitude, where a lot of the "hardcore" gaming crowd, just doesn't like the fact that a game they see as shallow can continue to be so popular year after year...

It's also cool to say that it's a copy/paste job every year and never does anything different...even though that's not even close to true

Metfanant

wait... Dogfighting??! This changing everything. That sounds pretty rad.

^^^ here is another piece, and I'm not trying to single you out, you just conveniently posted this...

I think a lot of people buy the "copy/paste" argument without really looking into the game, they just dismiss it off hand as a cookie cutter FPS with a short campaign and jet packs in multiplayer...

Kalentan

^^^ here is another piece, and I'm not trying to single you out, you just conveniently posted this...

I think a lot of people buy the "copy/paste" argument without really looking into the game, they just dismiss it off hand as a cookie cutter FPS with a short campaign and jet packs in multiplayer...

I feel like most of the people who've taken a more... pro-active stance against the game don't even know what's in it. They decided it was terrible and that it's a copy and paste... (The irony being that they all want MWR which is literally a copy and paste, go figure.)

I wonder how many of them know that...

• The Jackal is upgradable
  • The Jackal is not on rails
  • Your ship acts as a hub
  • There is side missions and the e3 mission was one.
  • There's loot in the SP side, which ties into the fact that your scavenging for resources.
Even just this small details are seemingly lost.

Please lead me to the super saturated space dogfight games please.

aTFCWOH.gif

uB8HkP8.gif

Seriously, I want to play them. Point them out and I'll go buy them right now.

Interesting......

giphy.gif

I haven't bought a Call or Duty game since MW2 in 2009, but I've preordered this. It looks incredible and it includes MW1 Remaster (Best CoD besides 2) in the $80 version. With Amazon prime, getting the $80 version costs the same as buying the reg version in store ($63). Win win. Haven't been excited for Call of Duty in a LONG time.

MrNelson

Banned
My issue is that have no faith in the multiplayer component. Ghosts' single player was Ok for the most part, not the worst one I had played (that goes to BO3 now), but the multiplayer was just abysmal. Super low TTK, maps that were large only for the sake of being large, every room had 7 ways in/out, and the netcode was rough. It's the only time I have ever gone back to playing the previous games after the next one released, or even regretted getting the season pass.

I get people generally being down on IW since losing so many folks and the first trailer was certainly unimpressive.

The thing is though, when the Sony conference trailer came out people could either reassess their opinion based on new evidence or they could refuse to examine the possibility that their initial impression was wrong.

Given statements like 'near future' it seems some people chose the latter.

jonno394

Easily one of the most impressive things shown at the press conferences. I've cooled big time on COD (didn't buy BLOPS 3) but if everything they showed didn't have 'Call of Duty' on it, a lot of people who hate it, would be interested.

I'm definitely intrigued/hopeful for it.

I honestly thought it was a new IP tbh!

Revas

COD is just wearing on people. It's been the most popular game of the year, pretty much since Modern Warfare was released, and of course people hate what's popular. Being the behemoth that it is, I watch trailers and follow the game not because I may buy it, but just to see where they are taking the series and I'm mostly flabbergasted that it is so popular.

Top Bottom