• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soda consumption down slightly, still #1 source of calories in U.S. diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

I went from drinking slightly more than one a day on average to only having about one a week. I'm helping the statistics!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The problem with tea for me is that I do not like the taste, unless I add a bunch of sugar.

What kinds have you tried? There's an extremely wide variety of teas with varying flavours. Or maybe it's just that you are so accustomed to sugar that anything without it tastes bad. Once you reduce it for a while you can get rid of that bias. That's what happened to me, I find the taste of coke really weird now.

dralla

The problem with tea for me is that I do not like the taste, unless I add a bunch of sugar.

You can sweeten it with Truvia. It's a natural, zero calorie sweetener, it's a combo of stevia and erythritol. I use it to sweeten my greek yogurt, it's pretty great.

Senoculum

I feel aspartame is one of the most scrutinized chemicals ever. I wouldn't say it's perfectly fine, but if there was something more lethal than refined sugar (which is probably the worst thing out there), we'd of known about it. It's been under the microscope all over the world.

I think just the word, "artificial" throws people up in arms. I'm certain heart disease and kidney failures are more common during the intake of sodium and sugars in other beverages.

Everything should be taken in moderation, obviously.

Evlar

Banned

The stuff you get at most restaurants can barely be considered tea; it's the swillwater left from soaking old, powdered plant matter. Good tea is a worthy beverage.

I contributed to this. I have a rare, random soda, often when I'm eating out, and even then most of the time it's diet because the real stuff is too sweet for me now.

At home my liquid consumption is down to coffee, tea, water, and kool-aid (sweetened with Splenda)

dab0ne

what about this stuff?
0007146420060_500X500.jpg

good or bad?

Buy and juicer and make your own juice. I had a tomato, carrot, and cucumber juicer earlier. Like a V8 without all the junk. I really like vegetables though.

On topic:

I believe this study. Lots of people I know drink regular sodas. I can hardly drink them any more because of all that sugar. Love diet sodas though... which will probably give me fatal cancer in every portion of my body.

andycapps

How so? If it's related to the sweeteners I already know about that, is there something else in them that's worse than regular soda?

As with all things, there's different studies showing this, different studies showing that. It's too early in tests to know definitively. I come down on the side of them being worse as them having no calories fools people into a fall sense of security. Mark's Daily Apple has some articles on it.

Clydefrog

I enjoy soda from time to time. A six pack at the house will likely last two weeks. oh and i've switched to buying soda with real cane sugar instead of HFCS.

That said, my work's kitchen has a fridge full of free soda that is hard to not abuse at 2:30 in the afternoon.

dralla

Just curious, what is the consensus on Splenda?
splenda is actually cut with dextrose? I believe, which is sugar. Sucralose is main sweetener in splenda though, and with all artificial sweeteners, I would say OK in moderation. But Truvia is a great replacement for it if you're looking for an all natural alternative.

Evlar

Banned
As with all things, there's different studies showing this, different studies showing that. It's too early in tests to know definitively. I come down on the side of them being worse as them having no calories fools people into a fall sense of security. Mark's Daily Apple has some articles on it.

The stuff he writes about diet soda correlating with weight gain and obesity matches my layman opinion of the stuff. This is why I don't drink it; I believe a link exists, and while I can't precisely state what the mechanism is (guessing something to do with "satiety" and artificial sweetener's impact on obscure metabolic functions?) I can see that the people I know who guzzle diet sodas struggle to lose weight.

andycapps

splenda is actually cut with dextrose? I believe, which is sugar. Sucralose is main sweetener in splenda though, and with all artificial sweeteners, I would say OK in moderation. But Truvia is a great replacement for it if you're looking for an all natural alternative.

Is Truvia the "natural" version of Stevia? I'd go with Stevia if I was avoiding any sugar.

Cat Party

Gave up sugary sodas a long time ago. But you'll have to pry the Diet Coke from my cool, refreshed, dead hands.

Still, I won't let my kids touch the stuff. They hate bubbly drinks, and I have no desire to expand their horizons in that regard. Also, I've found that Crystal Light is a great alternative to juice. It has a "fruit punch" taste but it lacks the sweetness, which I think is good in terms of developing their taste in drinks.

dralla

Is Truvia the "natural" version of Stevia? I'd go with Stevia if I was avoiding any sugar.

it's stevia and erythritol mixed together, it has a 'smoother' taste than stevia on its own. I guess you would say less of a bite? it's really good and I'm so glad I discovered it. you can buy it in bulk on Amazon for a good price too

Atruvius

Sodas are bad for you. I stopped drinking sodas and using sugar in my tea or coffee around a year ago. I have lost 8 kg since then and weigh 61Kg now.

Prologue

When I was younger, I use to pop Cokes like they were skittles. Even more so with those Caprison sugar drinks. I would drink +8 of those a day and each one was like 100 calories. Dropped all that though and its been almost a year and I weight 30 pounds less (5'6, 165-134 lbs). A lot less headaches as well. I take advil now every few months compared to like every other week back on my old diet. Bad times.

camelbak-sizing.jpg

I just started curbing my soda intake two weeks ago. Before that, I was drinking about 2 20oz of Mtn Dew a day. (tastes so good) I am to the point where I have about 2 pops a week, hopefully doing away with it completely soon. The only thing holding me back is the occasional fast food trip where I get a pop.

Also, I have found that I have been sleeping better without all the caffeine coursing through my veins.

In my fat guy days I used to down the Dew like there was no tomorrow. Stopping the soda intake helped immensely.

What always pains me is watching young kids rot their teeth with it.

It's one thing if you're old enough to know better, but it just pisses me off when I see parents giving toddlers or really young kids soda. No 3 or 4 year old needs his own can of coke.

andycapps

it's stevia and erythritol mixed together, it has a 'smoother' taste than stevia on its own. I guess you would say less of a bite? it's really good and I'm so glad I discovered it. you can buy it in bulk on Amazon for a good price too

Oh okay, good looking out. I don't use much added sweeteners these days, really only thing is half a packet of Stevia for a cup of green tea.

I just started curbing my soda intake two weeks ago. Before that, I was drinking about 2 20oz of Mtn Dew a day. (tastes so good) I am to the point where I have about 2 pops a week, hopefully doing away with it completely soon. The only thing holding me back is the occasional fast food trip where I get a pop.

You'll get to the point where soda tastes pretty disgusting and repulsive. I'm at the point now where if I've tried a can of it, and it's just nasty to me. Tastes really fake and unnatural.

Prologue

Oh okay, good looking out. I don't use much added sweeteners these days, really only thing is half a packet of Stevia for a cup of green tea.

You'll get to the point where soda tastes pretty disgusting and repulsive. I'm at the point now where if I've tried a can of it, and it's just nasty to me. Tastes really fake and unnatural.

I actually never got to that point. Its been a year and I had a cup of coke the other day and it still tasted as good, even more so. Same for a bit of Welches. Only difference is that I just don't crave it anymore and prefer water.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

I know that feel. I took a sip of coke for the first time in a while last week and it was shocking how synthetic it tasted, even worse than the diet stuff.

ShinNL

Switching to diet soda is a start. Not just because it's less unhealthy, but also because spilling sugar loaded soda makes everything stick like crazy. Man do I hate sticky stuff. Then switch to tea. The real kind. Sugar is not tea.

And lol @ juice people. Fruit is a lie.

Zoe

What always pains me is watching young kids rot their teeth with it.

It's one thing if you're old enough to know better, but it just pisses me off when I see parents giving toddlers or really young kids soda. No 3 or 4 year old needs his own can of coke.

My mother gave me so much Coke when I was a child that I had to get four teeth pulled and two teeth capped before I finished kindergarten.

andycapps

I actually never got to that point. Its been a year and I had a cup of coke the other day and it still tasted as good, even more so. Same for a bit of Welches. Only difference is that I just don't crave it anymore and prefer water.

What did you eat with the Coke? There are certain foods that it seems to go well with, or that our brain is accustomed to having it with. Salty french fries are a good candidate, as is pizza. A Big Mac combo doesn't really sound all that good with water, but with a big cup of Coke, it does.

I don't know what brand. Every time I've tried any soda, it hurts my mouth. I don't know if "burn" is the right way to say it. It's not hot. "Stings" may be a better word?
Soda is acidic. The first couple of times you drink it, it will be hard to not notice this fact.

That I've managed to look past that since then is a bit disturbing, when I dwell on it. Still, if you fill your entire mouth with it without swallowing, it can get to be a bit overpowering, which generally isn't the case with other drinks.

The only thing that has worked for me limiting my soda intake is just not buying any of it. I can't consume it in moderation if it's around the house. I'll have one from time to time when I'm out at a restaurant, but I will not keep it in my house. I'll always drink too much of it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Here's a tip for cutting out soda from fast food trips:
Don't get soda when you go on fast food trips.

You can choose bottled water, or you can just choose not to get a combo, which will cost you less money anyway. It might not be as good of a "value", but it will cost you less.

xbhaskarx

I haven't had a soda in years, I have no problem resisting it, even though my work has a fridge stocked full of free sodas...

Here's a tip for cutting out soda from fast food trips:
Don't get soda when you go on fast food trips.

You can choose bottled water, or you can just choose not to get a combo, which will cost you less money anyway. It might not be as good of a "value", but it will cost you less.

A better plan is cutting fast food trips completely.

MjFrancis

"Natural sugars" vs "refined sugars" is irrelevant, look at the chemical composition.

The concern here is obesity. Relevant to that concern are two things:

-The empty liquid calories from the sugar water you're drinking that don't grant you any measure of satiety, so get added on top of your daily intake.

-The fructose content, which can mess with your appetite mechanisms and also gets metabolized directly into body fat.

They're both sugar water, with similar calories and similar amounts of fructose. Psychologically, fruit juice can be even worse, when you think you're drinking something healthy just because it has vitamins and it's derived from fruit, so you don't exercise any restraint.

No. Whole fruit generally is fine to consume because you're gaining satiety from it, it generally doesn't have much sugar per serving, and the sugar it does have is mitigated to some degree by the fiber. Try eating three whole oranges vs drinking a glass of orange juice. One you can do in ten seconds in the middle of a 1500 calorie meal, and the other is a meal.
The bolded is a great way to emphasize the importance of satiety in controlling calorie intake.

I never had an addiction to soda, but diet soda is another beast entirely. Tea has done a good job of replacing that beast.

Amagon

I usually drink soda once every couple months but with rum. But even then, I still find it disgusting to drink. But now, the only carbonated beverage I usual have once a week is a can of Red Bull. And this is coming from a guy that lived off drinking those big can of Monster Energy drinks 2-3 times a day while downing some Mountain Dew as well. Now, I'm a water man and feel so clean.

Wake Up AMERICA!!!!

SpiffyG

I drink filtered and ionized water + a couple of glasses of freshly juiced veggie juice (cucumber, kale, carrots, apples, oranges, ginger, etc.) every day. Used to have soda almost every time I would eat dinner, but I've just cut it out completely.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I drink filtered and ionized water + a couple of glasses of freshly juiced veggie juice (cucumber, kale, carrots, apples, oranges, ginger, etc.) every day. Used to have soda almost every time I would eat dinner, but I've just cut it out completely.

You're already dead...etc etc.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you're just intaking 1-2 fruit worth of juice a day it isn't that bad. Apples make vegetable juices more palatable. Of course, eating the raw fruits and veggies is more filling so you might need to count those calories if you go the juicing route.

Vegetable smoothies would be a better way to go about juicing. Keep in all of the fibers. The downside is vegetable smoothies require expensive industrial blenders.

SpiffyG

If you're just intaking 1-2 fruit worth of juice a day it isn't that bad. Apples make vegetable juices more palatable. Of course, eating the raw fruits and veggies is more filling so you might need to count those calories if you go the juicing route.

Vegetable smoothies would be a better way to go about juicing. Keep in all of the fibers. The downside is vegetable smoothies require expensive industrial blenders.
Ah. Yeah, between two cups of juice there's only 1 apple and 1 orange. I also eat as many raw fruits and veggies as I can on top of that.

I do make veggie smoothies too. But is there such a thing as an ALL veggie smoothie? That would be kinda gross, no? I usually fill up half the blender with fruit (berries, banana, mango, apple), the rest with spinach and sprinkle some spirulina on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom