• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some PS Vita games up on US PSN, 10% discount confirmed

Eusis

Retailers certainly refused to carry iPad or iPod. Digital music?
I imagine they get a VERY nice profit margin off of those. Game consoles are generally razor thin profits, and given the Vita's specs I don't see it being any different there.

Carl

Retailers certainly refused to carry iPad or iPod. Digital music?

You're not understanding. Game retailers sell hardware and make a TINY profit on it. They make their profit on the software. If PSN undercuts them, people buy on PSN and not at Gamstop (for instance) so Gamestop pressures Sony into keeping their PSN prices high.

With iPhone/Pad they don't have that problem.

You're not understanding. Game retailers sell hardware and make a TINY profit on it. They make their profit on the software. If PSN undercuts them, people buy on PSN and not at Gamstop (for instance) so Gamestop pressures Sony into keeping their PSN prices high.

With iPhone/Pad they don't have that problem.

How can they pressure Sony? By not buying hardware?

How'd that work out for Ipods?

Eusis

It's also likely why the PSP go was so grossly overpriced. Retailers weren't going to be profitting off the software, so may as well get a ridiculous profit off of the hardware. Similarly, it might be why we have a $100 32 GB Memory Card when SD ones are usually $30-40.

I don't care. I've been waiting for the US games to launch so I can play something on my import Vita.

Downloading Hot Shots now. Yes... I'm the problem blah blah blah!!!

So, forgive my ignorance, but is it an easy transfer once downloaded from the US PSN store on PS3? I tried to browse the US store on my Vita (in Japan) and it once again told me the store is not yet supported in my region.

Would like some illumination on the topic.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So basically after you buy 25 games you pay for the 32 GB card.

And this is why I don't trust a console DD future.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Those are discounts. Of course I paid 30 for Wipeout and HSG on Amazon. Retailers are carrying the games for the MSRP which is 40 and up. Only a few seem to be truly 30 across the board.

Purexed

Banned
can you actually transfer them over to the Vita right now though? If so shouldn't we be able to transfer PSP games over as well? Up until now my Vita has failed to recognize any US PSP games on my PS3.

I'm going to be GAFs guinea pig. The PSP games still won't copy, but I'm hoping the Vita ones do.

Misterhbk

So, forgive my ignorance, but is it an easy transfer once downloaded from the US PSN store on PS3? I tried to browse the US store on my Vita (in Japan) and it once again told me the store is not yet supported in my region.

Would like some illumination on the topic.

I am also wanting to know if we can transfer these over. They can be on PSN all they want but it's pointless if I still won't be able to actually play them.

Seriously the digital consumer really does get raped here. The convenience of digital only is really nice, but the drawbacks are massive.

- 10% discount means that most retailers will be even lower than Sony's discounted price on day 1.

- I already have to pay out the ass for a memory card that is marked up over twice its actual value if it weren't proprietary.

- There's no competitive pricing for the store. What Sony sets is what you get.

- I can't resell my games.

$100 for a 32 GB card on top of PAYING MORE than many retailers for a digital copy. That's really some serious bull.

Those are discounts. Of course I paid 30 for Wipeout and HSG on Amazon. Retailers are carrying the games for the MSRP which is 40 and up. Only a few seem to be truly 30 across the board.

If amazon can afford to price those physical games at $30, Sony sure as hell can go a lot lower.

elty

I imagine they get a VERY nice profit margin off of those. Game consoles are generally razor thin profits, and given the Vita's specs I don't see it being any different there.

I don't think iPad (or any hardware actually) they sell has a high margin. I have a friend that was working for a retailer that let you buy at cost + discount. Most of the margin comes from HDMI cables, accessories and extended warranty. For hardware it varies a lot: TV on sales usually has a small margin, audio stuff is higher usually.

Edit: you can also google "ipod retail margin". Nothing suggest a "very nice" profit margin unless 10% is a lot.

Kurdel

Banned
I am ok with this.

There wil be sales and it will drop in price.

The importance is 100% digital releases day 1 for all titles.

Tobor

I don't think iPad (or any hardware actually) they sell has a high margin. I have a friend that was working for a retailer that let you buy at cost + discount. Most of the margin comes from HDMI cables, accessories and extended warranty. For hardware it varies a lot: TV on sales usually has a small margin, audio stuff is higher usually.

That's correct. The only real difference I see is that Apple swings a bigger stick than Sony does.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ITT people don't understand what 10% off the MSRP means.
I understand that Best Buy in Canada is offering $5 off all pre-orders and that's more than 10% off. I'm especially glad I pre-ordered Hot Shots when they had it listed at $30. That means my $25 pre-order is 37.5% off of the MSRP. :)

That's correct. The only real difference I see is that Apple swings a bigger stick than Sony does.

That, and their business model isn't stuck back in 1996.

I guess that's why Apple has absolutely eaten Sony's lunch with the iPod over the walkman.

Sony is afraid to evolve to a changing market place.

if i'm not mistaken Amazon.com is the only place with Hot Shots Golf at $29.99

I'm just bitter because of the whole Sony raising the MSRP at the last minute thing. And because I know I'm going to be a fucking sucker and buy HSG on PSN anyways, because it is going to be amazeballs and I never want to be without it.

Carl

That, and their business model isn't stuck back in 1996.

I guess that's why Apple has absolutely eaten Sony's lunch with the iPod over the walkman.

Sony is afraid to evolve to a changing market place.

Or, as has repeatedly been said, afraid of retailers not selling the hardware.

But sure.

Or, as has repeatedly been said, afraid of retailers not selling the hardware.

But sure.

Or, as has repeatedly been said, retailers don't really make much profit on any hardware at all (ipods, ipads and all), regardless of whether it has software that is sold in a store or not.

Carl

Or, as has repeatedly been said, retailers don't really make much profit on any hardware at all (ipods, ipads and all), regardless of whether it has software that is sold in a store or not.

WHAT? That's exactly the point. They make barely any profit on hardware. They make it on SOFTWARE. That's why they need software sales. Cheaper on PSN = less software sales for them = they don't carry the hardware.

Purexed

Banned
I don't understand? Are you a Japan PSN account on the Vita too? So you can cross transfer between regions?!

I have two accounts and two cards. Using my US account and card for the transfer.

Please update the op with this delicious news!

Good to go fellas! Stardust is copying my JP vita using my US account!!!!!!!!!

moses-parting-the-red-sea-rosencruz-sumera.jpg

Top Bottom