• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some PS Vita games up on US PSN, 10% discount confirmed

WHAT? That's exactly the point. They make barely any profit on hardware. They make it on SOFTWARE. That's why they need software sales. Cheaper on PSN = less software sales for them = they don't carry the hardware.

They don't carry ANY software for apple devices and they don't make much on the hardware.

Please, explain that contradiction.

Misterhbk

It's odd that Vita games are recognized and can transfer but PSP games still can't. C'mon Sony, give us early buyers our games!

Thoraxes

I wonder how many games won't use it now and why Uncharted is exempt from this?

It's probably because they know it's the game most will end up buying.

To be fair, even Steam runs into the same problems when compared to retailers. I bought Shogun 2 and Civ V retail copies for a fraction of what their price was on Steam. The difference is, Steam have amazing promotions and that's the area where Sony really lags behind. SCEE even moreso than SCEA, holy shit have they been laughable since Kebby left.

Edit: Oh yeah and there's also the fact that Steam actually drops game prices fairly regularly, while Sony sit on their asses with absurdly expensive games that've been out for years.

Toki767

Sony should really try making it so that digital versions of their games are out 1 week early on PSN for people who don't want to wait and just buy the game right away. I bet they could make quite a bit of sales that way.

To be fair, even Steam runs into the same problems when compared to retailers. I bought Shogun 2 and Civ V retail copies for a fraction of what their price was on Steam. The difference is, Steam have amazing promotions and that's the area where Sony really lags behind. SCEE even moreso than SCEA, holy shit have they been laughable since Kebby left.

I got amular for $41 on amazon. It was (and still is) $59.99 on steam.

People up in arms over "ONLY TEN PERCENT!!!" don't seem to understand that 10% is 10% more than anyone else is doing in the digital space for new releases on a *regular* basis. Steam sometimes has 15% for preorders, and amazon has all sorts of deals (as does GoG, GoD and others)... but no one has a consistent across the board discount for digital copies.

Hopefully it's just a first step for sony. I agree that 10% isn't enough to make a DD hater become a fan... especially when amazon has some of the stuff for 25% off. But we do need to atleast acknowledge that one else is doing this either. PS3 games don't get any % off when they go on the store. PSP games never did. 360 GoD doesn't take any % off when they put stuff up.

The outrage over this is crazy.

Purexed

Banned
Sony should really try making it so that digital versions of their games are out 1 week early on PSN for people who don't want to wait and just buy the game right away. I bet they could make quite a bit of sales that way.

I'll pay a premium for early access as long as its reasonable. Retail would bring out thier pitchforks though.

Probably also going to nab Modnation Racers. All about the asynchronous racing leaderboards, much to the ire of many folks it seems!

WipEout copying over to the Vita now from my PS3. Giddy as a schoolboy.

Toki767

I'm holding out on buying anything digitally for the first week or two just in case they decide to give Plus members an addition discount.

jrDev

You're forgetting some big advantages too:

- having access to a launch game hour 1
- avoiding leaving home to buy something
I will never understand this as an advantage since the negatives outweigh it. Also, the 1 hour thing I am ignoring to comment on.

I won't be jumping on anything digital if it's priced more than $15, but that's me. Oh well...

Raine

Would like to see Virtua Tennis @ a discount too but this is looking like it's only going for first party titles thus far.

Noshino

Seriously the digital consumer really does get raped here. The convenience of digital only is really nice, but the drawbacks are massive.

- 10% discount means that most retailers will be even lower than Sony's discounted price on day 1.

- I already have to pay out the ass for a memory card that is marked up over twice its actual value if it weren't proprietary.

- There's no competitive pricing for the store. What Sony sets is what you get.

- I can't resell my games.

$100 for a 32 GB card on top of PAYING MORE than many retailers for a digital copy. That's really some serious bull.

If amazon can afford to price those physical games at $30, Sony sure as hell can go a lot lower.

+ No making lines outside, I can get it as soon as it gets uploaded (it would be great if they allowed people to download and just unlock on release date)
+ Always on stock
+ I can download it when I want it, where I want it.
+ I have less chances of losing it than a disk

Don't DD games also have faster loading times?

They don't carry ANY software for apple devices and they don't make much on the hardware.

Please, explain that contradiction.

Videogames are a lot more dependant on software sales than hardware, Apple not so much.

Not just that, but Apple's sales are far too powerful to ignore, otoh it is a lot easier to stop carrying a console.

All in all, retailers have a much better chance of influencing Sony (specially given that their current situation) than Apple.

Maybe Sony needs to grab some balls and realize that iOS is doing just fine without selling content at a physical retailer....and they do this through very competitive and reasonable pricing.

Sony still thinks this is 1996.

Apple gives retailers a healthy margin on their products. Sony could offer lower online game prices if you'd be willing to pay $350 - $400 for a Vita.

Don't want to pay the DD price? then go to a store. I don't see why this is worth getting upset over.

Also, you've never looked at movie prices on Itunes, have you? They are high as well because movie studios still need retailers for dvd/blu ray sales.

RoylAsult

when you download them they are just under the games tab right? and then im assuming you just transfer it with the wire (that comes with the Vita?)

also can you play stardust on the PS3? the others wouldnt really make sense but what about delta?

Just might download it now so i dont have to worry about download times when i get it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Looks like I'll get Stardust for now. Wipeout is cheaper at Amazon, so I might as well wait for a boxed copy.

gembel

bought super stardust vita on US ps3 account, changed to Aus ps3 acc, transferred to Vita perfectly fine! trophies work as well

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
already downloading my copies.

Stardust, Wipeout and HSG

I look forward to this digital future. I already picked up Uncharted for a cheap price so I have that as physical media.
You guys seriously have some unrealistic dreams of cheap DD prices for a new console and games.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
bought super stardust vita on US ps3 account, changed to Aus ps3 acc, transferred to Vita perfectly fine! trophies work as well

So you have to change to your region's account on your PS3 to transfer? I'm confused. Did I get the info in the OP right?

Which account is on the Vita, US or AUS? Because when I tried transferring a JP Vita game from my PS3 to my US account on Vita it didn't work.

Risible

already downloading my copies.

Stardust, Wipeout and HSG

I look forward to this digital future. I already picked up Uncharted for a cheap price so I have that as physical media.
You guys seriously have some unrealistic dreams of cheap DD prices for a new console and games.

When you can get a physical copy for less than Sony wants to charge you I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation.

1. as already noted some of these aren't discounts but higher then what most stores are charging i.e. hot shots

2. didn't the JPN PSN get a bigger discount on downloadable Vita games?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Here comes Wipeout...
Some of these are a significant saving on the AU launch prices. Happy to go (mostly) digital for this one.

sikkinixx

So happy it got Hot Shots for $25 a few weeks back. Yeah DD is nice so there is no swapped tiny carts but gotta sves me money

DBT85

Well 10% is better than 0% which is what everything else gets so it's a start. But digital sales are not going to rocket like they did on the PC unless they have plenty of sales like they do on Steam.

Fortunatly the two big games I want at launch are Uncharted and Wipeout, one is pre ordered at £28 and the other is "free" with my 3G. Will have to see about any other retail games on a game by game basis.

Well 10% is better than 0% which is what everything else gets so it's a start. But digital sales are not going to rocket like they did on the PC unless they have plenty of sales like they do on Steam.

Fortunatly the two big games I want at launch are Uncharted and Wipeout, one is pre ordered at £28 and the other is "free" with my 3G. Will have to see about any other retail games on a game by game basis.

You will never get Steam styled sales until games are no longer mostly sold via B&M retail.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
So... this Vita content manager. It deletes the data from ps3 when it copies to vita, but then I can use it to back up the game again to the PS3? Why doesn't it just leave the data on there?!

Top Bottom