• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed announced! (360/PS3/Vita/3DS/PC/WiiU)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
alex-kidd.jpg

hmmm. if he's in, i'm in.

He was in the first one.

I'll bet Opa-Opa gets cut just to make room for racers with more personality even though Opa-Opa would have no problem navigating the three levels of terrain.

Rlan

He looked pretty good in S&SASR, though the "he's actually wearing a yellow jumpsuit and robe" idea is a bit bizarre:

Alex-Kidd-3.png

A million times better than his ugly brother in Sega Superstar Tennis:

sega-superstars-tennis-20080228024348435-000.jpg

Again, hope they do new voices for these characters and don't just copy and paste voices from previous games.

Also a thought -- they might have cut the "SEGA" out of the title to reference more non-Sega "All-Stars". Master Chief with a Warthog / Banshee vehicle?

ShadiWulf

video interview with the producer
http://segabits.com/blog/2012/05/01...-stars-racing-transformed-producer-joe-neate/

He looked pretty good in S&SASR, though the "he's actually wearing a yellow jumpsuit and robe" idea is a bit bizarre:

Alex-Kidd-3.png

Again, hope they do new voices for these characters and don't just copy and paste voices from previous games.

Also a thought -- they might have cut the "SEGA" out of the title to reference more non-Sega "All-Stars". Master Chief with a Warthog / Banshee vehicle?

lol, i forgot he looked that bad in the tennis game

He was in the first one.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's in considering he was playable in the first game.

EDIT: Well, shit.

Alex-Kidd-3.png

That creature ain't the dang Kidd.
RTBmV.jpg

Red Jumpsuit + Blue boots > Yellow Jumpsuit and robe

That's Alex.

Shaneus

ZB21C.jpg

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm a little bummed since the wheel was so much fun to use in the last game, but I just can't see how you could control a plane with one.
The MS free/air wheel thing would be fucking amazing. Shit, if it works great with Daytona (seriously), it'll be perfect for this. The only pain in the arse was that it didn't like all the button assignments for use in Outrun Arcade due to the lack of LB/RB buttons :(
But no reason the d-pad wouldn't be perfect. Or auto accel/brake and use the pedals for height.

ksdixon

I seemed to be better at handling cars on the PS3 version of SASAR rather than the PC version. Is there anything that would account for this?

Rlan

With the Transforming stuff, as well as the Wonder Boy XBLA pack, I wonder if we'll get some sort of Wonder Boy character which has a vehicle that transforms into Bird Man, Piranha Man, and Dragon Man style vehicles from Dragon's Trap.

mangaroo

Banned
First things I thought when I heard about this:

1 - A new diddy kong racing. YES!
2 - Skydrift, exactly what the vita needed.
3 - Please maintain online across all platforms.
4 - Fast switches between vehicles transformations.

Insta-buy.

Just skimmed the thread, 30fps would be acceptable - if it was stable. Blur was one of my favourite games as well, would have been amazing on the vita, NFS underground what?

OMG Aero

Don't know why people mention Mario Kart 7. This is clearly the new Diddy Kong Racing.
It's kind of a combination of both. The different modes control differently like in Diddy Kong Racing, but you switch modes in a single race like in Mario Kart 7 rather than being stuck in one that you select before the race.

All the hype for this makes me wish Sega had a Smash Bros game...

Just a sequel to fighters megamix with platinum made IPs, sonic and the extended Sega cast.

what anarchy reigns should have been.

Can you imagine?

Dude from comic zone
Vectorman
shinobi
Alex kid
Sam from vanquish
bayonetta
dude from Madworld
the gunstar heroes kid

etc

Shaneus

Just a sequel to fighters megamix with platinum made IPs, sonic and the extended Sega cast.

what anarchy reigns should have been.

Can you imagine?

Dude from comic zone
Vectorman
shinobi
Alex kid
Sam from vanquish
bayonetta
dude from Madworld
the gunstar heroes kid

etc
Daytona car vs. VR open-wheeler. FIGHT!

WillyFive

It's kind of a combination of both. The different modes control differently like in Diddy Kong Racing, but you switch modes in a single race like in Mario Kart 7 rather than being stuck in one that you select before the race.

That's true. When I first saw it, Mario Kart 7 was what came to mind first.

bryanee

I'd love a level based on Shenmue, starting at the dojo then making your way around the town and docks, we wont get it though.

Bebpo

Banned
ZB21C.jpg

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm a little bummed since the wheel was so much fun to use in the last game, but I just can't see how you could control a plane with one.

Could they use the A/Y buttons for decrease/increase elevation? Or the gear shift buttons behind the wheel if it's one of those wheels that have them?

I haven't played this series and I don't know which particular wheel you're talking about so just throwing out some guesses.

1-D_FTW

ZB21C.jpg

Anyone have any ideas?

Wait? I don't have my G27 connected at the moment, but I thought it didn't support wheel play? Are you just talking about the wireless 360 thing?

Wait? I don't have my G27 connected at the moment, but I thought it didn't support wheel play? Are you just talking about the wireless 360 thing?
I have the MS racing wheel (not that speed wheel, but the one with pedals and everything that's been discontinued) and its awesome to play Sonic Racing with. You should try yours, if mine works I don't see why yours wouldn't.

1-D_FTW

I have the MS racing wheel (not that speed wheel, but the one with pedals and everything that's been discontinued) and its awesome to play Sonic Racing with. You should try yours, if mine works I don't see why yours wouldn't.

I'll definitely give it a shot next time the wheel is hooked up:)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So, I finally 100% the first game. Have quite a few problems with it, mostly concerning the UI and how the cars feel.

Shopping menu should never be the default option after a race - that's dumb, and it annoyed the heck out of me especailly once I had purchased everything and they'd send me to the cleared shopping error message after a race.

And the vehicles, I feel, took way too much control from the player's hands. It's like the game was pulling you by a string, and you could turn left and right, but if you screwed up a little, it'd pull you back in the right direction. Really apparent in horrible, braindead collisions head on with a wall that would still spin you back into the right direction. If I mess up that badly, I should deserve whatever physics says I get.

Speaking of collisions - the game really needed a collision model for heavier racers vs lighter racers. Even if you're boosting at full speed, hitting someone will push them for many, many meters if they time their turns correctly. There isn't even a small bump, they just glue on to you.

Hope the Blur guy fixes these problems.

-PXG-

This is essentially Diddy Kong Racing...Count me the fuck in. If this game has as much content as DKR did, then I'll be happy. Oh and more Jet Set Radio love would be nice too.

ksdixon

Aside from having no online play, did the PC port of SASAR have any other glaring issues?
Contemplating getting rid of my PS3 which I have SASAR on, and picking up SASAR and SAAR on PC together.

OMG Aero

Character select skeleton is pretty fucking great.
Also it's nice to hear this:
“This time around, every track is a different IP, as opposed to the last game where we had three tracks for each zone,”

Sydle

Day-one purchase. So excited.

I hope they have more DLC this time. I would buy a pack of new Monkey Ball courses.

SykoTech

“So, Sonic, as we discussed on the phone, we’re looking at doing a sequel to Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing but this time with a stronger focus on SEGA’s other beloved brands.” the suits might open with.

“Great. My name still goes on the box or I’m out,” the spiky blue hedgehog would hypothetically reply; we all know Sonic is a hardass when it comes to contract negotiations and brand management.

“Hmm, well, we’re not sure that’s going to work because we’ve got this great line-up planned from Sega’s history that we think will really please the fans, plus we’ve got transforming vehicles,” the suits would mumble, nervously. “So, we’re thinking of calling it “SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed”

“No, you’re going to call it...Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, which, in time, people will shorten to Sonic Racing Transformed. Drop the ‘SEGA’ bit; it makes you sound egotistical” At this point shoulders would have slumped, but it’s exactly what the suits knew would happen. “Fine. Sign here.”

Oh, so it's Sonic's fault that this game has a terrible name. Thanks a lot you blue asshole. :mad:

The Golden Axe stage looks great, and Joe Musashi is a good addition. Nice to know that variety will be the main focus this time too.

Top Bottom