• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed announced! (360/PS3/Vita/3DS/PC/WiiU)

TheOGB

Banned
Eurogamer Preview

- gunning for 30fps since water physics rules out 60fps (=_=)
- 27 characters not counting exclusives, will be unlocked in single-player
These 27 characters will be unlocked in a new single-player adventure mode which is "inspired by games like Mario Galaxy," he says. "There's a feeling of starting at one place and unlocking characters, rescuing them as you progress through the game and different game modes... I thought the original game was a fantastic driving experience but maybe lacked a little bit in meta-game type stuff - progression and things like that."
- All-Star moves activated by filling All-Star gauge
- XP/leveling system
Progression doesn't stop there, as each character can be levelled up through five ranks. Filling up the All-Star gauge with on-track moves earns you XP as well as granting access to your character's All-Star power; each level unlocks stickers and achievements as well as perk-style vehicle mods which can be equipped to alter the handling characteristics of your favourite characters. There's no difference between these in the demo build, but Wilson intends them to be pronounced - "I want to tune the stats quite hard, actually, [so] there's some genuine differences to them," he says.
- massive budget, Gareth Wilson says;
Sega's investment also encompasses new rendering and physics engines (created "with future platforms in mind," says Wilson - but no, he can't confirm or deny a Wii U release)
- difficulty ranges from C-Class (easy) to A-Class, to All-Star
- weapons and powerups have changed a little bit

Kokonoe

Banned
Eurogamer Preview

- XP/leveling system

It keeps getting better and better.

SmithnCo

OH REALLY!? Last time I checked that First game have more than 7 characters. I checked the list so we might get 20 returning characters, along with 7 new characters.

Yeah. And we already know 4 characters, so... Hopefully they make the most of the remaining 3.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For the first game, the idea of Sonic driving a car always threw me off. This one may have enough going on that it doesn't matter and I'll get it.

Day fucking one all over again. I was all over the first game. Ill be all over this game too. Mario Kart? What the fuck is a mario kart? (unless we talking mk7 lol)

Truth101

Banned
Eurogamer Preview

- XP/leveling system

60 FPS Wii U version would be nice.

Platy

For the first game, the idea of Sonic driving a car always threw me off. This one may have enough going on that it doesn't matter and I'll get it.

I'm still dissapointed that Sonic without a car isn't an unlockable racer ... what a missed oportunity =/

ffdgh

wow its so.....pretty and woo ristar.
if/when the wii u version is announced, hopefully mario will be in this time.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Only 7 new characters and 4 are already known to be male? No love for Se-gals ;.;

- Bros (19)
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Big the Cat
Eggman
Shadow
Alex Kidd
AiAi
Amigo
Billy Hatcher
Beat
B.D. Joe
Ryo
Jacky & Akira
Mobo & Robo
Vyse
Ristar
Vectorman
Gilius

- Gals (2)
Amy
Ulala

- Split (2)
Zobio & Zobiko
Chu Chus

- uhhh? (1)
Opa-Opa

- MIA (2)
Metal Sonic (watch him be one of the "new" characters...)
Forklift Ryo

- remaining slots (3)
??? [Silver the Hedgehog Metal Sonic]
??? [Blaze the Cat / Marine the Strewth]
??? [Akiyama Kazuma Kiryu]

Oh well, fine, whatevers. The world didn't need more Emelia (PS:p2), Alicia/Isara/Edy/whomever (Valkyia), Shinguji Sakura (Sakura Wars), Candy/Honey (Fighting Vipers), Blaze (SoR), Janet (Virtua Cop), Junon (Dragon Force)... among others. Gotta keep Knuckles, Big, and Shadow around! Watch 'em add Blaze the Cat or for maximum trolltential, Marine as the sole new gal lol. It is what it is! I dun get how a story mode or exp fit into a racing game but so long as it feels as good & fun ta play as the first I'm still in!

Sponge

Banned
It was.... And so was Soul Calibur 2, SSX Tour, Fight Night Round 2, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Itadaki Street, DOA Dimensions and Dynasty Warriors Vs. I'm glad that I'm not the only person who found his comment peculiar.

Oh my mistake, I guess the whole situation with Marvel Ultimate Alliance still lingers in my head.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I really hope they replace Big.

I really hope they have the budget to get the old voice actors back to record some fresh lines that maybe have something to do with the racing action going on... -.-;

Also they totally need to bring back the announcer guy from the first game. He was hilarious.

I do too. But it would be even better if it were Vyse, Fina, and Aika together. Not completely unprecedented, since Jackie and Akira were both in Jackie's race car in the first game.

Yeah, Vyse without Fina and Aika would definitely be disappointing, as cool as it is that SoA's in.

Ristar and Vectorman's inclusion is pretty awesome, though! :)

Also, I also fully expect to see this announced for WiiU too, at E3. But it's nice to see that there will again be a PC version.

Kokonoe

Banned
One of the Sumo reps made a post on Sega forums about a Blue Shell like item.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.p...n-Mario-Kart&p=7288736&viewfull=1#post7288736
SumoRex said:
This game creates a pack finish mainly by good balance... however there is a "1st place attack weapon", but (unlike the MK blue shell), with some good driving it is avoidable... It's mentioned in one of the reviews/interviews on one of the web sites. But you'd have to read em all cos I can't remember which site it is...

I hope it's nowhere near as powerful as the Blue Shell, punishing players for doing good is something I don't agree with.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
In Blur it was a series of electric pillars that you can dodge. Still, sometimes like 3-4 people drop them at once so you have to keep dodging 20 pillars or something. Kind of annoying, but it doesn't only affect you if the race is close, so I think it's was a fair solution and shows he has a good mind for how to handle things.

Tizoc

Kiryu driving, Majima in the passenger side for attacks, Akyama in the back relaxing with a hostess :D Perfect.

YES! YES!

So wait I can't unlock characters from playing multiplayer by getting Points?
Also, thanks to the mod(s) that fixed the thread title *bows*

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
6978660416_26133b3c17_o.png

Nom.
Go get Futatsugi to make this now!
And not exclusively for Kinect!

Carm

Link to below

I knew this would be controversial...

Truth us we did look at online support, be it GFW or some other method.

When we looked into the cost vs the projected sales, the two didn't add up. So as a result the feature wasn't added to the game.

One of the main reasons is that on PC people will steal it rather than buy it.

I've been in touch with SEGA to get the Steam product description amended but I also put that comment out there as I don't want anyone being
misled into buying it for a feature the game doesn't have.

From same thread, another of his posts
At the end of the day, the PC market is dwindling and is being damaged by piracy and as such, publishers aren't willing to spend a lot of money for people to just steal the resulting games.

SOL, from Sumo Digital, regarding the absence of multiplayer on the PC version of Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing.

PC version never got any of the DLC either.

So yea, I paid $15 for the PC version, I won't be touching this one, unless their attitude has changed.

SparkTR

Link to below

SOL, from Sumo Digital, regarding the absence of multiplayer on the PC version of Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing.

PC version never got any of the DLC either.

So yea, I paid $15 for the PC version, I won't be touching this one, unless their attitude has changed.

They are including online play in the sequel, and Sega have been awesome with their recent PC versions with Steamworks and visual upgrades. If it's anything like the Generations port I'm willing to forgive and forget, especially if it means I can play it at a butter smooth 60fps.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really hope the PC version isn't gimped with lacking online multiplayer and new characters.

Also seriously, 30 fps? WTF

Carm

Also, as for the original on PC being a good port, yea don't think so. Unless you're brute forcing the game with a higher than rec system, you're gonna get stuttering. The game does not pre-cache assets, meaning you'll always stutter on lap 1 of every race. Doesn't happen to me anymore but shouldn't happen in the first place. Happened all the time when I had my 8800gts gpu and quad 3ghz cpu.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
God I hope not, I turned that announcer off immediately after the first race.

Boo! Announcer guy for life!

Woah! Thats alot of unused stuff. They shoulda used the shop & mission stuff. Some of the abuse for failure ones were good to!

Weren't the license miles in the first one basically xp? I forgot what they were used for though, probably unlocking.

Segac Miles were used to unlock Characters/Tracks/Music.

ShadiWulf

geebee

Banned
Skipped out on the previous Sega racing game, but will definitely buy this. Sumo Digital is probably the best dev I've seen a big company like Sega outsource to for their titles.

Only 7 new characters and 4 are already known to be male? No love for Se-gals ;.;

- Bros (19)
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Big the Cat
Eggman
Shadow
Alex Kidd
AiAi
Amigo
Billy Hatcher
Beat
B.D. Joe
Ryo
Jacky & Akira
Mobo & Robo
Vyse
Ristar
Vectorman
Gilius

- Gals (2)
Amy
Ulala

- Split (2)
Zobio & Zobiko
Chu Chus

- uhhh? (1)
Opa-Opa

- MIA (2)
Metal Sonic (watch him be one of the "new" characters...)
Forklift Ryo

- remaining slots (3)
??? [Silver the Hedgehog Metal Sonic]
??? [Blaze the Cat / Marine the Strewth]
??? [Akiyama Kazuma Kiryu]

Oh well, fine, whatevers. The world didn't need more Emelia (PS:p2), Alicia/Isara/Edy/whomever (Valkyia), Shinguji Sakura (Sakura Wars), Candy/Honey (Fighting Vipers), Blaze (SoR), Janet (Virtua Cop), Junon (Dragon Force)... among others. Gotta keep Knuckles, Big, and Shadow around! Watch 'em add Blaze the Cat or for maximum trolltential, Marine as the sole new gal lol. It is what it is! I dun get how a story mode or exp fit into a racing game but so long as it feels as good & fun ta play as the first I'm still in!
Opa Opa's male, and yeah, at the rate this is going it's going to be another SSB Brawl, a sequel with no real new female characters... hopefully they change that with one of the last few.

Oh, however, Vectorman is male, but he's a male robot... I don't know if that should count as being the same as a human...

Bgamer90

Banned
Really excited for this.

The predecessor was really good. Even though it didn't have the same polish that Mario Kart Wii had, it was a better game in my opinion.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Based on the Eurogamer article, I think they mean this game has 27 unlockable characters, not that there is 27 characters total.

Also can see Vyse transforming here:

vysetransformed.jpg

And elsewhere, someone noticed Tails' new car is similar to his car from Sonic Drift.

26475SART_DE_Beat_Car_2-1024x576.png

Sonic%20Drift.png

Nice to see they're using the Jet Set Radio model of Beat that they used in Sega Superstars Tennis. I prefer it over the Jet Set Radio Future model from the last game.

To be honest, I'm disappointed there are only 7 more characters. Also, I'm not dismissing the possibility of a few of the characters from the first game being dropped.

I'm glad they've gone out of their way to improve the weapons; that was my biggest complaint of the first game. Once somebody built a big enough lead, it was impossible to catch up with them, as everybody else would be hitting each other with weapons, but no weapons could reach the leader.

An adventure mode sounds fantastic, as does customisable vehicles, and the return and new implementation of All-Star moves. The more I read about this game, the more it sound like it's fixing the few niggles the first game had. I already see this being my most-played online 360 game.

I hope Sol from Sumo Digital starts posting in this thread at some point, as he did in the one for the first game. I spent a LOT of time in that thread, and I intend to do the same with this one.

Based on the Eurogamer article, I think they mean this game has 27 unlockable characters, not that there is 27 characters total.

I hope so; that sounds a lot more in line with what I was hoping for. If you start with 8 or so characters, then that's a good number overall.

SmokyDave

Can't wait for this. I ended up triple-dipping on the first one and I can see me doing it again (iOS, PC & Vita this time).

Problem is, if they are unlocked via single player you could well only have access to Sonic until you have met each character in the story mode. 27 unlockable characters doesn't mean the total character count is much higher.

Top Bottom