• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Execs Respond to #PS4NoDRM Campaign (GAF namedropped)

There are still various middle grounds short of refusing to publish. Favourable treatment. More content. Earlier release dates. "Demanding comparable revenue".

Holding back release dates for games doesn't make much business sense unless they're being paid a huge chunk of cash, and that's become increasingly unviable over the years.

This industry has become dominated by day 1 sales figures to appeal to investors. Those CoD figures are not going to look as good if you only release on one console, and that could have a massive effect on share prices and suchlike.

So while what you say is true, Sony still has a huge amount of power, and people need to realise that publishers are not some kind of unstoppable entity.

You seem to think the PS4 is already a hit because last I checked its marketshare is 0.

Sony and MS cant afford to do anything that will piss off a bunch of 3rd parties and MS have been doing a better job at licking boot so far. E3 should be the real teller on what has been going on though. Rumour has it MS already has some big 3rd party exclusives tied down. I would bet there commitment to there DRM strategy has really helped them get things done. I bet 3rd parties would love a single platform to dominate like the ps2 did back in the day so them all getting behind the platform that gives them all they want isnt hard to see happening.

Sony is a major player in this industry with a track record that speaks for itself. They also have had strong performance in Europe unlike Microsoft, and given MS' focus on even more features at the expense of the European market, sets Sony up nicely to take even more of the market share.

It's one of the largest markets in the world, and trying to pressure Sony over used games is not worth the risk of losing out on that revenue. With the cost of developing these days, third parties cannot afford to do so; why do you think the concept of 3rd party exclusives has almost vanished this past generation? A decade or so ago the publishers held a lot of the power. Times have changed.

Dunlop

What else is there?

Oh sorry.

TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, Sports, TV, TV, Kinect, TV, TV, TV

Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody Colladoody

Seriously, wtf happened to this site? I must have not been present during the last console launch..holy shit

Sony will wait until Microsoft play their cards. Giving the information now is serve them no benefits, they need to keep Microsoft guessing. Sony are just riding the storm as white knights and that's because Microsoft shot itself in the foot with the PR disaster.

If Sony end up doing the same thing as MS how can this be considered a good thing? At least MS had the balls to talk about it, if sony just lets MS take the heat and then do a quick press relase, "Yep we're doing that to now please look at 8Gb DDR5" Then they need to be called out for that kind of crap.

Razgreez

Microsoft love money, that's why you pay for love
Sony love money, that's why you pay for PSN... right?

The argument that just because Microsoft is doing something means Sony has to do the same is a fallacy. If Sony do go through with the same kind of DRM then it is entirely their own decision and they should be lambasted all the same

FroJay

Banned
Sounds like we're still fucked, even with Sony. EA dropped online passes for a reason, seems like there is no going back now.

liquidtmd

Banned
irZHchtb9eAqg.gif

They're out of control....SAVE US BASED SONY

Love GAF

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Haha; so fuck online play, used games policy, the system, etc? As a consumer I want to know more.

We already know about about the system specs. But yes, we would like to know more, in general, about both systems. Both companies have admitted that their policies at this stage are malleable... or at least implied as such. Neither one has been forthcoming with information regarding online or used games aside from loose lips of particular individuals.

Marleyman

Banned
Surprised you don't recognize it. It's Microsoft's press conference.

No..I thought you weren't trying to clown MS. I said "what the fuck is this" due to it being irrrelevant to this discussion.

Dragon said:
This thread is about the games being there. Why are you bringing up all this irrelevance?

This thread is about "the game being there?" What does this mean? The thread is about Sony responding to the twitter campaign with nothing clear cut.

Almost all major tentpole third-party titles are going to be released on current-gen systems through the end of 2014 at least... and possibly into 2015 as well.

We have to wait for E3 for the details for '14, I think. And how attractive the current-gen versions will be in comparison to the shiny next-gen visuals. A lot of people can be weak in the red light of graphic whoring. I can tell ya...
If the next gen starts succesful, the 'older' versions can be cancelled quickly.

a new concern popped in my head. What if the DRM decision was region based? Like its used in US but not Japan and EU.

hope not. At least they acknowledge we are sending things. Its about all you can ask for at this point

You seem to think the PS4 is already a hit because last I checked its marketshare is 0.

Sony and MS cant afford to do anything that will piss off a bunch of 3rd parties and MS have been doing a better job at licking boot so far. E3 should be the real teller on what has been going on though. Rumour has it MS already has some big 3rd party exclusives tied down. I would bet there commitment to there DRM strategy has really helped them get things done. I bet 3rd parties would love a single platform to dominate like the ps2 did back in the day so them all getting behind the platform that gives them all they want isnt hard to see happening.

I hope we hear what sonys plan is soon. Pre E3 hopefully. If they can come out and have a clear message and dont have a fucking online check every 24 hours then they are my platform of choice thats for sure.

We know that all of the big franchises are coming to both consoles and games like Destiny are getting exclusive PS4 content, so I don't think MS boot licking commitment to DRM strategy has meant much at all.

Microsoft love money, that's why you pay for love
Sony love money, that's why you pay for PSN... right?

The argument that just because Microsoft is doing something means Sony has to do the same is a fallacy. If Sony do go through with the same kind of DRM then it is entirely their own decision and they should be lambasted all the same

Thing is this has more to do with 3rd party demands then internal online infrastructure. Sony and MS are dealing with the same 3rd parties and for the most part are going to have the same titles on both of them.

You think MS is going to implement bad DRM and get no benefit from 3rd parties while Sony will be the savior of no DRM while also having these same titles by these same 3rd parties on their system?

Yea sorry I don't buy it.

BadWolf

a new concern popped in my head. What if the DRM decision was region based? Like its used in US but not Japan and EU.

hope not. At least they acknowledge we are sending things. Its about all you can ask for at this point

Preferential treatment would cause one heck of a shit storm.

"We love the passion" and "We hear you" are PR 101 speak for ways to talk around objectors. DRM is coming to PS4. It's going to happen.

If it is publisher-centric then this could happen in a way. Japanese devs might respect their traditional strong used games market and western devs could go the restrictive route. But let's wait and see.

nib95

Banned
Thing is this has more to do with 3rd party demands then internal online infrastructure. Sony and MS are dealing with the same 3rd parties and for the most part are going to have the same titles on both of them.

You think MS is going to implement bad DRM and get no benefit from 3rd parties while Sony will be the savior of no DRM while also having these same titles by these same 3rd parties on their system?

Yea sorry I don't buy it.

You're being naive. Sony themselves don't have to support it, they can just leave it to the publishers and that way those responsible can take the heat. In-fact, that's what Yosp has already said, that they'd leave it to the publishers.

Microsoft always takes the greed and anti-consumer thing to a whole new level.

this is about money, now that i learned ms plans to keep a cut of "allowed" used game sales.

News flash, Sony isn't going to say no to money.
You act like regulating used can only optimize their revenue.

In a world where Microsoft is already planning to regulate used sales, Sony has the potential to come out ahead by not regulating used, thus stealing some hardware sales from Microsoft that they would not have otherwise been able to attain. Even if those additional users only buy a handful of new games each, Sony could make more money than had they followed Microsoft's approach.

This move isn't being made in a vacuum, and it's silly and defeatist to act like anybody who thinks it would be wise for Sony to not regulate used sales is a fool.

CronoShot

Considering Sony is still doing online passes for their PS3 and Vita games, I would be surprised if there wasn't at least some form of DRM on PS4.

Maybe less restrictive though?

BadWolf

You act like regulating used can only optimize their revenue.

In a world where Microsoft is already planning to regulate used sales, Sony has the potential to come out ahead by not regulating used, thus stealing some hardware sales from Microsoft that they would not have otherwise been able to attain. Even if those additional users only buy a handful of new games each, Sony could make more money than had they followed Microsoft's approach.

This move isn't being made in a vacuum, and it's silly and defeatist to act like anybody who thinks it would be wise for Sony to not regulate used sales is a fool.

Imo they would steal a ton of hardware sales and paint themselves in an extremely positive light with gamers in the process.

jorma

is now taking requests
it would be done at E3 but after the press conference

i think they have to come clean before that.. i mean after the press conference they want the press to ask about and write about their E3 presentation rather than asking and writing about DRM.

kingocfs

Just let the DRM wash all over you, GAF, it's happening.

Maybe they'll avoid it for first party titles, but otherwise, yea...

Thanks EA and Activision...

And thanks Sony and Microsoft for making these publishers priorities going before your customers' ones.

<3 Nintendo more than ever

Maybe EA and Activision didn't support them first so they didn't need to make such a choice but I believe more and more every news that the "unprecedented partnership" failure comes from this.

I don't buy Apple stuff because of their anti consumer practices (plus the not green products, plus the abusive price...) so I can really live without any other system even if I'm going to miss a few games (don't have the time to play all this though).

Gestault

I was wondering about this. Can a bunch of gamers get together and class action the fuck out of these companies for locking out the secondary market and price fixing on new games?

No, because nothing's stopping another company from creating their own platform with their own choices for content control. If there are or can reasonably be alternatives, it's not a monopoly in any sense of the word. Just because a popular brand that people happen to like changes a policy doesn't stop those people from choosing something else.

In fact there currently are alternatives, it's just that the lion's share of users don't want them because they're rubbish or underdeveloped at the moment. Even looking toward computers as an alternative (different though they may be from consoles), some of the most successful elements of PC gaming already resemble the structure being criticized here. I don't like it, but this may very well be a necessary step in how games are distributed for the development and publishing-side. We don't know for sure yet, and I think even publishers can't make that claim, but it appears that they believe it's necessary to attempt it.

You're being naive. Sony themselves don't have to support it, they can just leave it to the publishers and that way those responsible can take the heat. In-fact, that's what Yosp has already said, that they'd leave it to the publishers.

Na I think your the one being naive, cause even in your scenario it is going to be the same thing. Sony is not going to be this shinning Stallion swatting away 3rd parties efforts to implement DRM while still offering the EXACT same games and EXACT same experiences from these same 3rd parties.

Something is going to give, If Sony refuse DRM they are going to not get treated equally by 3rd parties, if they go along then they will be just as bad as MS, if they leave it to the publishers it will be just as bad as MS cause every 3rd party will have a uniform DRM system on both consoles.

Gestault

If Sony goes down the same path as Xbone then this will be the FINAL GEN.

...or publishing and game distribution will look different than we're used to, and buyers will have to reconsider the value proposition of their purchases. It's very likely games will continue to be released on set-top boxes and people will happily buy and play games on them.

Bgamer90

Banned

...Uhhh...

Sony being open in letting publishers do it is still basically the same thing. It's their console.

If these things really happen, I guess we will have some strong fronts here with supporters on the Nintendo side and people cheering the Sony/Microsoft-side regardless of DRM.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Probably the easiest ride ever considering what MS has gotten since the 21st. 3 months of no threads, only positive talk.
Utter BS. We've had dozen of threads with people complaining about the total lack of BC for the PS4, for example. Skepticism over how well Gaikai services can fill the gap have been prevalent. Fears over cost have still been abundant. And plenty of people have been pre-supposing that all the worst rumors we'd heard about the XBO would come to be for the PS4 as well (always online, camera required, no used games, etc.). So, only positive talk? Not even close.

That the talk has remained generally positive is because they started with an initial 2 hr reveal that was heavily-dedicated to games with multiple live realtime demos and in the immediate wake of that there wasn't any Sony talking head completely shitting the bed by contradicting back and forth with other reps about what the policies were and no one said anything that suggested they were going to be draconian about it in the first place.

Whatever free ride you think they got was probably in no small part due to MS delaying their announcement until the last possible minute leaving everyone to wait for the last shoe to drop before we could do a full evaluation of the options. Ironically enough.

If you don't think the appetite exists here to hold their feet to the fire like Microsoft's, you haven't been paying attention to the first page over the weekend. Or during the majority of this past generation.

Don't kill me. But I would rather they make their money off an online pass instead of the way they do it now. Online passes only cost $10 right?

The majority of the time I don't even play games online anyway. I would rather have that than not be able to sell my games to anyone like Microsoft is doing.

I could see Nintendo doing this in the future, but maybe seeing all.the backlash they will rethink the issue.

Has PS4 been confirmed REGION FREE yet though?

Also PS3 has lots of great games now, I can see myself skipping everything if they try this bs. I hardly play EA games so it isn't a big loss to me personally.

Razgreez

...Uhhh...

Sony being open in letting publishers do it is still basically the same thing. It's their console.

The same thing... and PS4 never requiring an internet connection is the same as the XBone and its once-a-day mandatory login right.

It's clear where your allegiance lies

Usobuko

Banned
If Sony end up doing the same thing as MS how can this be considered a good thing? At least MS had the balls to talk about it, if sony just lets MS take the heat and then do a quick press relase, "Yep we're doing that to now please look at 8Gb DDR5" Then they need to be called out for that kind of crap.

It isn't a good sign for the industry.

I don't participate in calling out the companies, I'll just readjust my budget and spread them more accordingly on other platforms. You can seek GAF for that and I'm pretty sure Sony will get flak for it.

Top Bottom