• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony fiscal Q3 release (lifetime PS home console hardware shipments pass 300m)

Omiee

This year is realy easy for Sony, a 50$ price cut and firm release dates for all their games, and a good marketing for all of them and they should see an increase in software and hardware in 2011. Also they are finally making money on each ps3 sold so they should be able to cut the price this year and make their money with all their titles coming out this year. I just hope they dont fuck it up this year by delaying games again, i dont see it happening but still.
Also NGP launch this year should be interesting

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't even understand who buys a ps2 these days. is it mums for young kids?

antonz

kenta said:
Wow, they actually turned a profit? That's been a long time coming
To what degree they are profitable in gaming is hard to say though we know they are. The Gaming division is longer a separate entity and the PC line has seen a large turn around on sales.

Omiee

catfish said:
I just don't even understand who buys a ps2 these days. is it mums for young kids?

Are you kidding me, ps2 is huge in europe and african country's from what i know. You can have an amazing back catalog and its dirty cheap for what you get.

Edit: also woow at their spike in the lcd market.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
antonz said:
To what degree they are profitable in gaming is hard to say though we know they are. The Gaming division is longer a separate entity and the PC line has seen a large turn around on sales.

I think they easily make 40-50 bucks profit for each ps2. Not to mention that this year they have an additional revenue stream from PS+ subscriptions. It is also fairly safe to say that that no longer sell any of their products at a loss for any of their gaming products currently.

spats

catfish said:

It's cheap, it has a recognizable brand it plays the maddenz and the fifaz.

catfish said:
Walmart people!

2011 should be the best year for Sony, not necessarily sales-wise. But quality of gaming wise. They already started with a bang with LBP2. Onwards with Killzone 3, InFamous 2, Uncharted 3 and THE LAST GUARDIAN.

Edit: throw in Motorstorm Apocalypse and Resistance 3 for more awesomes

RustyNails said:
Walmart people!

2011 should be the best year for Sony, not necessarily sales-wise. But quality of gaming wise. They already started with a bang with LBP2. Onwards with Killzone 2, InFamous 2, Uncharted 3 and THE LAST GUARDIAN.
MLB the show '11. IDk if it's a system seller but i think last year it sold quite well (software wise)

Omiee

RustyNails said:
Walmart people!

2011 should be the best year for Sony, not necessarily sales-wise. But quality of gaming wise. They already started with a bang with LBP2. Onwards with Killzone 3, InFamous 2, Uncharted 3 and THE LAST GUARDIAN.

Dont your forget motorstorm and resistance 3.

DMPrince said:
MLB the show '11. IDk if it's a system seller but i think last year it sold quite well (software wise)
Yeah, The Show got 9.0 and above ratings across the board. Too bad I'm not into baseball.

Omiee

When they release their full numbers in april can we expect to see how many units they sold for each game and how playstation plus home and move are doing?

thuway

I think people are forgetting the crazy sales of GT5 when they are thinking of profit. That game has had to have shipped close to 6 million now.

StuBurns said:
I would love to believe TLG has a chance of actually coming out this year.
Sony only got Uncharted 3 to roll them into the holiday season. They need another big one to carry them through. I see TLG as the candidate. PS3+TLG bundles. Believe.

Majine

Banned
Omiee said:
When they release their full numbers in april can we expect to see how many units they sold for each game and how playstation plus home and move are doing?
I'd love to see numbers from Home. For the "It's a failure" people. In reality, it's their secret moneymaking machine.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
markot said:
OP added an extra 100 million >.>?

You're forgetting the PS1, which sold more than 100m I believe.

Omiee

RustyNails said:
Sony only got Uncharted 3 to roll them into the holiday season. They need another big one to carry them through. I see TLG as the candidate. PS3+TLG bundles. Believe.

Why are people forgetting resistance 3 i mean i know september is not holiday season but still.
Also the agency should be coming out around that time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
RustyNails said:

TLG will only be a system-seller in Japan. Team ICO's games have always had relatively low appeal in other markets.

Uncharted 3 is going to do very well. Since it's releasing in November, they don't particularly need another game to carry them through the holiday season.

Canova

Banned
antonz said:

well according to the more detail financial report, the Networked Products & Devices, which is where the gaming division, is very profitable contributing 1/3 of the company profit

it is actually their most profitable division

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/10q3_sony.pdf

Operating income increased 26.3 billion yen year-on-year to 45.7 billion yen (564 million U.S. dollars). This
was mainly due to a significant improvement in the cost of sales ratio coupled with an increase in gross profit from
higher sales, partially offset by unfavorable foreign exchange rates. The game business benefited from significant
cost reductions of PlayStation®3 (“PS3”) hardware and higher unit sales of PS3 software, which favorably
impacted the change in segment operating results (excluding restructuring charges)

What makes no sense is that last quarter PS3 was down 2.9 million units WW but now they are down 3 million units worldwide even though Sony and MS shipped the same aount of units...what gives or did I do my math wrong?

Last quarter it was 41.6 for PS3 and 44.5 for 360.

You add 6.3 to that and you get 47.9 for PS3 and 50.8 for 360. But that puts the WW at 3.0 when MS only had 2.9 last quarter and they sold the same amount of units...where is the discrepancy coming from?

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
BladeoftheImmortal said:
What makes no sense is that last quarter PS3 was down 2.9 million units WW but now they are down 3 million units worldwide even though Sony and MS shipped the same aount of units...what gives or did I do my math wrong?

Last quarter it was 41.5 for PS3 and 44.5 for 360.

You add 6.3 to that and you get 47.8 for PS3 and 50.8 for 360. But that puts the WW at 3.0 when MS only had 2.9 last quarter and they sold the same amount of units...where is the discrepancy coming from?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25758267&postcount=9
It is either a maths error or there is some rounding going on.

Omiee

nice numbers overal but i dont see them shipping 2.8 million in Q1 when they only sold 2 last year.
although it could be done with the release of LBP2 and KZ3

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Wow, impressed with the PS3.

How long do people think it will take before it outsells the 360 LTD if this was the 360's best quarter ever and it still couldn't win?

JaseC

Conceited said:
Wow, impressed with the PS3.

How long do people think it will take before it outsells the 360 LTD if this was the 360's best quarter ever and it still couldn't win?

The next 12 months are going to be interesting, to say the least.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
YoungHav said:
what did PS1 and PS2 sell at this point in their life cycles?

PS1: 102 million (wiki)
PS2: 150.2 million (here)

thuway

JaseC said:
The next 12 months are going to be interesting, to say the least.
Shit don't even matter anymore. I just hope Sony gets their profit in. The console that brought me Uncharted, Killzone, Infamous, Little Big Planet, and God of War deserves that shine.

gimmmick

I like how we still label the psp a failure after shipping 70 million unites ww, yet the dreamcast is the best thing since sliced bread.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I love how the PS3 is only 3 million behind the Xbox360 (47.9m to 50.9m) yet somehow some people see the PS3 as a failure.

Anyway they are both great system which I enjoy. Looks like healthy numbers for gamers and that's what matters to me ultimately. That gaming is doing good overall and that it's a worthwhile business.

I really want to hear about the next Xbox, Nintendo console, and PS4 personally. I doubt this year, but hopefully next year at E3 we'll hear something. I think if Nintendo were smart they should be first out of the gate seeing as how the Wii is dropping in sales and is showing its old tech much faster than the 360 and PS3.

Kafel

Banned
Thunderbear said:
I love how the PS3 is only 3 million behind the Xbox360 (47.9m to 50.9m) yet somehow some people see the PS3 as a failure.

ULTROS! said:
PS1: 102 million (wiki)
PS2: 150.2 million (here)

It's a failure when you compare to where Sony comes from.

fanboi

Banned
Thunderbear said:

Anyway they are both great system which I enjoy. Looks like healthy numbers for gamers and that's what matters to me ultimately. That gaming is doing good overall and that it's a worthwhile business.

I really want to hear about the next Xbox, Nintendo console, and PS4 personally. I doubt this year, but hopefully next year at E3 we'll hear something. I think if Nintendo were smart they should be first out of the gate seeing as how the Wii is dropping in sales and is showing its old tech much faster than the 360 and PS3.

I belive the failure is more related to that Sonys marketshare was enormous on the PS1/PS2 era, while when PS3 came... they have lost a huge chunk.

Talon

Thunderbear said:
If you had told anyone here back in 2006 that the PS3 and XBox 360 would be near equals in worldwide sales, they'd have laughed you out of the gates.

It's a failure because it went from being the clear market leader by a substantial margin to 3rd place, while also managing to blow all the profit they made on the entire PlayStation family.

thuway

Thunderbear said:

This conversation pops up every thread regarding the PS3 and moderate success. It essentially boils down to people feeling Sony dropped the ball and gave the 360 relevance. The PS3 was supposed to continue in its path of domination. We all know how that turned out, and 10 years from now, you'll find some random ass Gaffer trolling the triple somewhere in the interwebs. Sony dominated for almost half a decade. Old wounds die hard - $599, no rumble, Ebay, 'PS3 haz no gamez.', cross-game chat, etc.

It matters not though. The new SCE is humble. The World Wide Studios have began working together, harder, faster, and are improving the portfolio of Sony each year. The company finally gets it.

If the "disaster" didn't happen, who knows what the future would be like.

Thunderbear said:

I hope we don't hear about new consoles till atleast 2013, and launch at 2014 at the earliest. Graphic technology just hasn't improved as much as it should. I want consoles to launch at a time where I can get Versus XIII CG Quality in game. These consoles have plenty of juice left in them.

The only locked console to launch in 2013 is probably the Wii 2. As for Sony and MS, the longer they wait to launch, the better for us. Whatever piece of hardware comes out, it will be the standard for the better part of the next 6-8 years.

Cipherr

gimmmick said:
I like how we still label the psp a failure after shipping 70 million unites ww, yet the dreamcast is the best thing since sliced bread.

This doesn't even make sense at all. People like the DC because it had some great games, I haven't ever seen anyone call the DC anything other than underwhelming sales wise.

Talon

thuway said:
It matters not though. The new SCE is humble. The World Wide Studios have began working together, harder, faster, and are improving the portfolio of Sony each year. The company finally gets it.
Have they learned? This is a company that's gone from being known as the high standard of the consumer technology industry, biding its time to really innovate (Trinitron, the Walkman, PlayStation), to jumping headlong into projects and products nowadays. There are only so many Stringer quotes we can pull about 3DTV.

From the consumer standpoint, it's better the game industry had another Sony/Nintendo moment, this time with Microsoft/Sony fitting those roles. There's plenty to complain about Live, but it's pretty doubtful that PSN's featureset would be where it is today without XBL and the 360 in place. Not to mention it's pushed DD much further and streaming media content.

I'm hopeful that we won't get another console gen for another 2 years, but we'll see.
gimmmick said:
What are you talking about?

People praise the Dreamcast 'cause it had great games and featured online gaming at a wider level. It (and the Saturn) was the end of Sega.

Incoming Bernie Stolar posts

hsukardi

Talon- said:
If you had told anyone here back in 2006 that the PS3 and XBox 360 would be near equals in worldwide sales, they'd have laughed you out of the gates.

It's a failure because it went from being the clear market leader by a substantial margin to 3rd place, while also managing to blow all the profit they made on the entire PlayStation family.

This is all true, and it also shows that leads can be blown in one generation. This applies to all three of Sony, MSFT and Nintendo as they move into the next five years with Kinect, Move, 3DS and NGP.

We're at a time where installed base is not as important as active installed.. Geography also matters as PS3 total installed is only 6% off 360 globally but the US is a completely different story. Given the US is where most gaming new outlets and AAA developers reside, that's a big issue for Sony. All in all it's still a bloody exciting industry in terms of the fights going on.

Talon

hsukardi said:
We're at a time where installed base is not as important as active installed.. Geography also matters as PS3 total installed is only 6% off 360 globally but the US is a completely different story. Given the US is where most gaming new outlets and AAA developers reside, that's a big issue for Sony. All in all it's still a bloody exciting industry in terms of the fights going on.
We can all find humor in the fact that Microsoft and Sony both fucked up in hilarious ways but forced each other to innovate. Hooray competition.

While Nintendo sits on a Caribbean island drinking mamosas, fretting the coming storm.

thuway

Talon- said:
Have they learned? This is a company that's gone from being known as the high standard of the consumer technology industry, biding its time to really innovate (Trinitron, the Walkman, PlayStation), to jumping headlong into projects and products nowadays. There are only so many Stringer quotes we can pull about 3DTV.

The "Consumer Electronics" industry has really shaken up. Vizio, Samsung, LG and a variety of other low cost-low budget brand names have really made moves. Gone are the days where people appreciated the high end. This economy is weak, and people can only appreciate so much of a difference.

To be perfectly frank, this is why I want Sony and MS to wait as long as possible before they release their next consoles. Let the 720 and PS4 actually feel like a big fucking deal. When we went from PS2 to PS3, it felt like we were about to go into space. I really want that level of hype and anticipation.

Besides, the technology is not mature enough. From PS2 to PS3 we multiplied the amount of Ram over a factor of 10. 32mb to 512mb and we still have people who say the jump wasn't 'enough'.

I'm at the point where I truly believe that the Eighth Generation of Consoles will be the LAST major generation in terms of tech. For people to appreciate PS4/720, they need to seriously be shooting for CG quality Final Fantasy XIII Versus graphics. In 3-4 years, with all the new rendering techniques, tech improvements, and advances being made- we might see it.

I was reading an article somewhere where a bunch of scientists found a new exploit in processors saying that the hurdle thats been holding us back from faster processors has been overcome. In a few years you might see some real quantum leaps. Thats what I'm excited for.

JaseC

thuway said:
Shit don't even matter anymore. I just hope Sony gets their profit in. The console that brought me Uncharted, Killzone, Infamous, Little Big Planet, and God of War deserves that shine.

It never mattered to begin with. :p

thuway

Talon- said:
We can all find humor in the fact that Microsoft and Sony both fucked up in hilarious ways but forced each other to innovate. Hooray competition.

While Nintendo sits on a Caribbean island drinking mamosas, fretting the coming storm.

Honestly, if there is one rule about the industry, its that no one remains king longer than 10 years. No one.

Top Bottom