• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Moondrop

Banned
What other similar weapon would you recommend to the Aero then? The N-Zap perhaps? Please note that i want either the Inkzooka or the rocket launcher as subs as i really like those.

For the inkzooka you could try the tentatek splattershot, neo splash-o-matic, luna blaster, or mini splatling. For the "rocket launcher" aka inkstrike there's the n-zap 89 or the slosher. The splattershot is considered one of the most well-balanced weapons in the game.

My aim is only so-so, so I gravitated initially toward rollers and blasters but now I'm a slosher devotee. I personally prefer the tri-slosher but it doesn't offer those specials.

Seems we are getting even more Splatoon manga

CbP2QUsUMAA9_5e.jpg:orig

During the recent "Who is the Strongest Elementary Schooler!?" Tournament, it was announced¹ that a manga serialisation of Splatoon for 'Bessatsu CoroCoro Comics' is in the works².
The artwork is being handled by Mr. Sankichi Hinodeya.
The series is planned to launch in the April Edition of 'Bessatu CoroCoro Comics', which will be released around 29th February³.

Artist Sankichi Hinodeya also did the two previous One-shot Splatoon manga stories for corocoro magazine. This time it seems it will actually be a bi-monthly series

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/699173129038336000?lang=en
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/daily-briefs-feb-15-splatoon-manga-us-sales/
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...a_series_coming_to_bessatsu_corocoro_in_japan
http://nintendoinquirer.com/blog/2016/02/15/splatoon-to-get-a-bi-monthly-manga-series/

Pic of the fest T-shirt.

I'm still mad I missed out on those Splatfest Transformers T-shirts from PAX Prime last year.

Speaking of Splatfest, this is one of those rare times I can't choose sides.

I grew up with Red and want to support Red. But it may be the popular vote and we all know how those end.

Help!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm still mad I missed out on those Splatfest Transformers T-shirts from PAX Prime last year.

Speaking of Splatfest, this is one of those rare times I can't choose sides.

I grew up with Red and want to support Red. But it may be the popular vote and we all know how those end.

Help!
Pick Blue to win. You do want to win, right?

Blues1990

Could someone help me out?

When I was checking my gear, I realize that I have the Charazard Splatfest t-shirt, despte voting for Pokemon Blue. Apparently, the game had fucked me over (somehow) & I'm now on Team Red. Is this a glitch?

Pikma

Banned
Could someone help me out?

When I was checking my gear, I realize that I have the Charazard Splatfest t-shirt, despte voting for Pokemon Blue. Apparently, the game had fucked me over (somehow) & I'm now on Team Red. Is this a glitch?
You probably selected the wrong team? I don't think I've ever heard of the game changing people's teams.

Man i am torn now, just tried the Tentatek Splattershot and... while it DOES make it easier to get kills than with the Aero, the lesser ink coverage REALLY makes me miss the Aero :(

It's somehow hard to decide for me which i prefer, being constantly above 1000 pts with the Aero and a lot of coverage/inked turf or getting more kills with less points but potentially contributing more to a win of our team instead hmmm...

GWX

Man i am torn now, just tried the Tentatek Splattershot and... while it DOES make it easier to get kills than with the Aero, the lesser ink coverage REALLY makes me miss the Aero :(

It's somehow hard to decide for me which i prefer, being constantly above 1000 pts with the Aero and a lot of coverage/inked turf or getting more kills with less points but potentially contributing more to a win of our team instead hmmm...

Try the .52 Gal (Deco flavor is a favorite of mine). Two shot kills will soon get you in the mood :) Don't worry too much about coverage, try to hold your ground and get control of the major points of the map.

If you want to use the Aerospray try the MG version. The seeker can be good at distracting opponents, even splatting some if you get the timing right. The inkzooka is good for going at chargers and other longer range users. With the Aerospray, you want to try to run up on people as much as possible to get spats. It takes more shots to splat, but it's fast so getting up close can give you an advantage.

Try the .52 Gal (Deco flavor is a favorite of mine). Two shot kills will soon get you in the mood :) Don't worry too much about coverage, try to hold your ground and get control of the major points of the map.

If you want to use the Aerospray try the MG version. The seeker can be good at distracting opponents, even splatting some if you get the timing right. The inkzooka is good for going at chargers and other longer range users. With the Aerospray, you want to try to run up on people as much as possible to get spats. It takes more shots to splat, but it's fast so getting up close can give you an advantage.

1) What are the subs and special for the .52 though?

2) At what level does the MG version unlock?

Seems like i really need to make a choice between wanting to either KILL or PAINT soon now ;)

3) Generally speaking, for weapons like that Gal Deco which need like 3 shots to kill but i heard 2 shots IF you use Damage up, does that mean you need exactly ONE damage up slot for that effect to take place or a couple?

Nico_D

Deco comes with Splashwall and Killer Wail.

Seems like i really need to make a choice between wanting to either KILL or PAINT soon now ;)

Both are important. Splatlings, Splattershot, Dual Squelcher and Nzap are good in both. And rollers. Others too.

3) Generally speaking, for weapons like that Gal Deco which need like 3 shots to kill but i heard 2 shots IF you use Damage up, does that mean you need exactly ONE damage up slot for that effect to take place or a couple?

.52 is always two shot kill from two lines, three shots half a line further. No need for dmg up.

The MG should already be available if you have access to the RG.

1)

In Turf Wars you can experiment a lot. don't rule out weapons base off of the first dozen matches. You need to get used to the timing and tactics to be proficient. I say experiment and learn the pros and cons of each weapon.

In rank mode being able to put down paint quickly and abundantly is less important. You can't freelance as much and need to engage in more firefights. This is why the Aerosprays aren't as useful in rank mode. High skill players can still contribute if they know what they're doing.

Deco comes with Splashwall and Killer Wail.

Both are important. Splatlings, Splattershot, Dual Squelcher and Nzap are good in both. And rollers. Others too.

.52 is always two shot kill from two lines, three shots half a line further. No need for dmg up.

Uh, no. original .52 comes with wall and wail, not the deco. Three shots is needed if enemy have one main defense up, .52 with one sub damage up can two shot enemies with one main defense up.

Moondrop

Banned
Actually the .52 gal deco is the one with inkstrike, as you said you liked. I didn't mention before because it's nothing like the aerospray.

The gals are some of the best killing weapons, but not as great for turfing. But as others have said, once you learn more about map control you can help secure your team's victory with any weapon, even if you don't rack up high numbers yourself.

Robotguy

1)Vanilla .52 is Splash Wall and Killer Wail.
Deco is Seeker and Inkstrike

2) dunno

3)Depends on which Gal Deco. The .52 and .96 both normally take 2 shots to kill. But defense up can increase .52 to a three shot kill. Damage up is frequently used on .52 to counter this. Damage up is not really useful on .96 as it will allways 2 shot within its 2 shot range.

Personally I run 12 points of DMG up on .52, which is just enough to counter 20 points defense up IIRC. (1 main = 10 points 1 sub = 3 points) I should probably run at least 19 points, but I'm too lazy to roll the gear for that.

The MG should already be available if you have access to the RG.

Hmm strange, i coulda sworn only the RG was available on sale... I'll check it again to make sure.

In Turf Wars you can experiment a lot. don't rule out weapons base off of the first dozen matches. You need to get used to the timing and tactics to be proficient. I say experiment and learn the pros and cons of each weapon.

In rank mode being able to put down paint quickly and abundantly is less important. You can't freelance as much and need to engage in more firefights. This is why the Aerosprays aren't as useful in rank mode. High skill players can still contribute if they know what they're doing.

Yeah i guess i need to play some more with it. The thing is, i quite frequently switch between Turf Wars and Ranked and don't feel like having to get used to multiple weapons, but i also don't want to focus either on ranked OR on Turf Wars since both can be fun and depending on which map, i want to be able to switch as i see fit!

Maybe in light of that the Tentatek Splattershot might not be such a bad choice as a good allrounder right?

What were the pros and cons of the N-Zap 84 again? I see tons of people use it and quite often i get killed by them LOL

Robotguy

Yeah i guess i need to play some more with it. The thing is, i quite frequently switch between Turf Wars and Ranked and don't feel like having to get used to multiple weapons, but i also don't want to focus either on ranked OR on Turf Wars since both can be fun and depending on which map, i want to be able to switch as i see fit!

Maybe in light of that the Tentatek Splattershot might not be such a bad choice as a good allrounder right?

What were the pros and cons of the N-Zap 84 again? I see tons of people use it and quite often i get killed by them LOL
Tentatek is possibly the most well rounded weapon in the game (hence the popularity).
Paints pretty well, high movement speed, low time to kill. Has suction bombs to create space and has zooka for range. It's a weapon you should be able to take to any map and mode and do well with it.

Geg

N-ZAPs have the fastest movement/strafing speed in the game with a fast fire rate and the same range as the Splattershot & .52 gal. The main disadvantage I guess would be the narrow ink spread which makes accurate aim important and gives it a lower inking capacity than weapons like the Splattershot/Splattershot Jr/Aerosprays, though the faster movement speed makes up for that somewhat. Also the N-ZAP 89 variant has Sprinkler and Inkstrike for fast inking.

Moondrop

Banned
Ninja squid technical question: does the target reticle still appear over foes using this ability?

In other news, since I don't know any Pokemon outside of the Smash series, I think "Undine" will be my thematic splatfest name.

Jims

Finally got up to A+ today. I kinda avoid Solo Ranked sometimes because the constant "win 1, lose 1" stuff got a little demoralizing. Did it on Walleye/Moray Rainmaker, but I'm starting to suspect that Tower Control is the easiest mode for carrying in the lower-to-middle ranks. I kind of hate Tower Control the most (damn you, Luna Blasters!) but it is easiest to game manage and force your team to win. At least with a Kraken available, it is.

Has anyone gone back to watch some of the initial E3 coverage for this game? The trailer, the press coverage, etc? I'm getting kind of nostalgic for when it was first revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L54s2m1dPs
(I wanna try out that Arowana Mall beta!)

What do you guys remember thinking about the game during the Global Testfires?

I played in the first one and then the 3rd or 4th one that had technical difficulties, and got an hour extension. I remember my first game was on Walleye Warehouse with the Splattershot, and recall loving the game right from the get-go. The gyro controls took some getting used to, but it started to click when learning how to strafe with them.

I remember not really understanding the special meter for awhile as well as the subweapon, so every game would just be base Splattershot shots, all the time. Everyone was going with the Splat Rollers at the time, but I just couldn't get into it. I would play around with the Jr. a little, but always went back to the vanilla Splattershot (probably because I didn't understand the Bubbler yet). Splat Chargers were a liability for almost every Testfire team, at the time... Everyone was still in "paint constantly and get a high score" mode. I remember feeling very lost in Saltspray Rig for awhile, although I recall noticing, "What is this weird side area that no one goes to?" at the time. Everyone would get locked up on the ramps and stuff.

The later Testfire was a little mean looking back on it, because after having an hour of practice, I was probably beating up on people who were playing their first couple of games. Lots of spawn camping on Walleye.

Ninja squid technical question: does the target reticle still appear over foes using this ability?

You mean for Point Sensors and Echolation? Yeah, it would appear, even if they were using Ninja Squid.

Moondrop

Banned
What do you guys remember thinking about the game during the Global Testfires?
1) Holy shit, Nintendo is back.
2) I'm gonna main the roller.

You mean for Point Sensors and Echolation? Yeah, it would appear, even if they were using Ninja Squid.
No, I'm referring to the mechanic in which you pan the reticle aka the targeting cross-hairs over a patch of ink and a squid is hiding inside, then it changes to a circle to let you know you've got a target. My question is if this still occurs with Ninja Squid.

If anyone wants to friend up and test this for science, let me know and we can set something up.

ChrisD

TBH, I hated the game until I played the testfire lol

Same. I mean, hate is a strong word, but I didn't get the hype. It annoyed me how much time they were putting into advertising the game. Couldn't go a day of Nintendo News without Splatoon mentioned (or so it seemed). Testfire settled it in my mind that the game actually was really fun.

Heng

In other news, since I don't know any Pokemon outside of the Smash series, I think "Undine" will be my thematic splatfest name.
Do you mean if the reticle shows an x if it's over enemies? I don't think it does.

I remember thinking it looked super cool during the e3 showings and had a good time with test fire (remember when rollers were unbeatable?). I didn't actually get the game until mid June though because I wasn't entirely convinced it was worth my money. I realized it was worth it eventually be a useful everyone seemed to really enjoy it and it was fight up my alley in terms of design (bright colours, cute monsters, I didn't have to kill people all the time [#TeamMapCoverIsImportant]).

That's my story

What do you guys think of the Lunar Blaster Neo? I thought i was dead set on longer range blasters like the N-Zap or the Splattershots now but then this guy absolutely annihilated me just now with a Lunar Blaster Neo so i've been rethinking the whole thing... It's sort of like a shotgun at close range right?

phanphare

Banned
man, I remember the testfires blowing my mind. I was always interested in the game and thought the movement mechanics would be cool. then I played it and realized how satisfying the game felt.

I remember rollers were "OP" but they didn't even know how to flick yet. I'd use the splattershot jr. and just use the bubble when they'd try and roll over me. good times.

Top Bottom