• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Azure J

Just when I was wondering about the handful of us regulars who'd be team Red, I go and see that James is on our side.

Youdabessmang

ffdgh

I'd go team red if I wasn't completely terrified of the strong possibility of all day mirror matches.
KuGsj.gif

phanphare

Banned
I'm going red

I cannot deny my nostalgia. I still have my red cart with my original save file on it from 1998. I have a blue cart too that I got to trade with myself and to be able to create new save files when I wanted to start a new game. red came first though.

Azure J

I'm going red

I cannot deny my nostalgia. I still have my red cart with my original save file on it from 1998. I have a blue cart too that I got to trade with myself and to be able to create new save files when I wanted to start a new game. red came first though.

I miss my first save so much. My main team named after Gundam Wing series Gundams (don't judge, I was 10 and Toonami was lit), 141 out of 151 Pokemon acquired (closest I ever got to a full living dex), and I had the most based Zapdos, Arcanine and Blastoise ever.

woopWOOP

I think they're just talking about how they're gonna be selling shirts based on the Splatfest shirts in Japan. You can't actually keep them in game.
Yeah, realised it when I was trying to pass that link to a friend :p woops!

Still pretty neat they went through the extra effort to make a real Splatfest shirt for the event.

ChrisD

I've been Level 50 for so long I actually thought you meant ranking points.

There are glitches with the XP system, albeit rare. I remember someone from GAF jumped from 20-something up to the 30's when the extra levels first came out. Don't believe any rhyme or reason was ever found.

From the Japanese Splatoon twitter
Valentine's Day squid cookies

明日はバレンタインデー。
イカ研究所の女性研究員が手作りのクッキーを作ったという。
あいかわらずあのイカに夢中なようだ。
なお、このクッキーは一般発売されないので悪しからず。

Google translation:
Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. That squid Institute of female researchers made a homemade cookie.
Ever it seems crazy about that squid. It should be noted, amissing since this cookie will not be generally available.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/698432336610787328?lang=en

Regiruler

I never knew piranha TC had those new side areas opposite the conveyor to the team's entrance, where the "alternate" conveyor from the side areas was.

ChrisD

I've picked blue, but apparently some folks are very enthusiastic regarding red :p

I can't tell if that's supposed to be two busty women on the left or if it's an attempt at arms. I mean, it looks like they have arms as well, right?

But if that's the case, how come the woman on the right doesn't have arms? Or did he change his artstyle for the different color version, and now it denotes arms?

I'M CONFUSED

Edit: Wait, I think Blue Woman is putting one hand to her face/chin, and her other hand to her ear.
I am putting actual effort into deciphering a stick-figure drawing from quite possibly an eight year old.

ss-hikaru

Somewhat of a stupid question, but has anyone noticed a jump in experience points? I'm 200 higher than I remember being.

I've been Level 50 for so long I actually thought you meant ranking points.

There are glitches with the XP system, albeit rare. I remember someone from GAF jumped from 20-something up to the 30's when the extra levels first came out. Don't believe any rhyme or reason was ever found.

I was one of those, except I wasn't awesome enough and only jumped from level 20 to 28 or so :p I had a theory, but it was centered around the level cap raise so don't think it applies to Regiruler's circumstances.

DaBoss

Rewatched Azure's stream from yesterday. Seems everybody forgot i'm a gaffer :(
I remember playing with you.

I also remember deleting you from my friend list cause I need room and stuff. I'm sorry. ;_;

Then again, I don't even play much in GAF rooms anymore either. =/

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Glad I re-checked this thread. Guess I'll make an effort to play Splatoon again.

Team Blue always.

Better dead than red!

Nintendo selling Splatoon x Pokémon shirts in Japan. They certainly know how to capitalize on combining those two popular franchises. The shirts look awesome too. ;;

RedFyn

But blue is better than red. But my name is red and Callie is better than marie.

This is too much. I can't handle this Nintendo.

ss-hikaru

So on the doujin Splatoon album Splabeat there is a song that incorporates the tower control jingle (Geg posted a translation earlier in the thread, it's got funny lyrics) but there is also one that uses the losing jingle and it's super cute XD Surprisingly the song is pretty upbeat :p I translated the lyrics for fun, sorry in advance for wall of text.

Local Local Inking Rhythm

Today is the inking rhythm of losing
Today is also the inking rhythm of losing

I'm always in the inking rhythm
You too are always in the inking rhythm
From morning to night together we keep i-inking
The school ditching heroes i-inking

Let's go let's go inking rhythm
Attacking attacking inking risk
Switching between squid and kid really i-inking
Swimming swimming swi-i-i-m yeah yeah yeah yeah

Today the two of us play together
Forever and ever 'kay?

Two hearts communicating
No matter where always being beaten
Together via gyro let's communicate
Just the two of us, offline

Today is the inking rhythm of losing
Today is also the inking rhythm of losing

Today is everyone's inking rhythm
But more so everyone else's inking rhythm
(as in that's why they are losing? dunno, took some creative liberties here :p)
From morning to night together we keep i-inking
Before I gotta leave the house just a little bit more

Winning winning inking rhythm
Leaping jumping no matter where
Here it is here it is Haikara City News
Ring ring ring-a-ling yeah yeah yeah yeah

Today let's play a heap together
Most definitely, right?

Two hearts communicating
No matter where always being beaten
Together, let's go and play local
Just the two of us, offline

joelseph

So "grouping" with friends in regular battles doesn't guarantee you are both on the same team?

Does this change in ranked mode?

Why oh why is this this way?

Geg

You can do squads in ranked modes where you're all on the same team and get matched against other squads of friends, and also private lobbies where you can set who's on what team.

My guess for turf war is that Nintendo wanted to just keep it as the "random/party/for fun" mode.

CO_Andy

I remember playing with you.

I also remember deleting you from my friend list cause I need room and stuff. I'm sorry. ;_;
SM239 deleted me from his friend list as well. He was the one saying my name's familiar on the stream lol

Azure said:
I was telling them and wondering what was up. :lol
Thanks for keeping me on your friend list. You're my only connection to getting into the gaf lobby these days.

So after almost exclusively playing with Rollers since i got the game, i now am trying to learn some Aero RG.. Man is it hard to have to keep the reticule on a moving player long enough to actually kill him as opposed to just simply give an unsuspecting player a good swirl with the roller and BOOM :( I do like the increased range for creating pathways to then swim in for quicker movement though.

RedFyn

Andy if I deleted you send me a request and I'll get you back on the list. I had to delete a ton of people just to keep up with all the active players.

So "grouping" with friends in regular battles doesn't guarantee you are both on the same team?

Does this change in ranked mode?

Why oh why is this this way?
Yes, you can squad with up to 3 friends (so 4 total). This matches you up against other squads.

I imagine it's done at least in part to prevent pub stomping.

So after almost exclusively playing with Rollers since i got the game, i now am trying to learn some Aero RG.. Man is it hard to have to keep the reticule on a moving player long enough to actually kill him as opposed to just simply give an unsuspecting player a good swirl with the roller and BOOM :( I do like the increased range for creating pathways to then swim in for quicker movement though.
lol rg. At least you're not a detriment anymore

The aero is a tough weapon to kill with due to the short range, wide spread and rate of fire. If you are planning on playing ranked, if you're not already, I'd suggest learning a different weapon. The aero is tough to use, especially the rg and outclassed in most aspects by every other weapon.

Andy if I deleted you send me a request and I'll get you back on the list. I had to delete a ton of people just to keep up with all the active players.

Yes, you can squad with up to 3 friends (so 4 total). This matches you up against other squads.

I imagine it's done at least in part to prevent pub stomping.

lol rg. At least you're not a detriment anymore

The aero is a tough weapon to kill with due to the short range, wide spread and rate of fire. If you are planning on playing ranked, if you're not already, I'd suggest learning a different weapon. The aero is tough to use, especially the rg and outclassed in most aspects by every other weapon.

Good to know, i'm still somewhat of a noob (LvL 17) but i can hold my own in most matches (at least with the roller i could) What other similar weapon would you recommend to the Aero then? The N-Zap perhaps? Please note that i want either the Inkzooka or the rocket launcher as subs as i really like those.

Ogodei

The aerospray was OP very early on (the rollers were deemed OP back during the testfire, but shortly after the game itself landed and people leveled enough to get them, the aerosprays became very popular). They're not bad for turf war, especially in a larger stage where it's important to just keep moving and spraying (Kelp Dome is their best stage). For ranked with its focus on kills, they are harder to use, but not impossible to use well. Decent killing power at low range, and then the gold one's sub and special are nice for tower control and splat zones, especially since you can charge the special quickly due to the fast coverage.

The higher-level players do rarely use them, but they have a place.

I only recently figured out how motion controls worked in this game. So i'm eager to give it a try later this week, and then do splatfest this weekend to see if i can really get some good results.

Top Bottom