• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ss-hikaru

The games have probably been better, but it's hard for me to distinguish the finalist teams since there were few quirks or distinct crowd appeal power, so they kinda all meld together and out of 48 current players, only 1 is female. I was like, who was this team again and had to rewatch all the final matches. Hopefully Kanto's B block pulls through with a certain awesome team.

Are you referring to Ika-tako Business? XD

ss-hikaru

Yeah lol, it's depressing seeing all of last year's winners be felled. RIP .Regen first match eliminated. Only 1 person has a second chance to compete in the finale again.

Yeah that was quite something. Then didn't the team who beat .Regen lose their next match? I will be interested in seeing how well Ikatama Kids do this year.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yeah that was quite something. Then didn't the team who beat .Regen lose their next match? I will be interested in seeing how well Ikatama Kids do this year.
Thanks for making me do some research lol, there seems to be 2 people that have made it into the finale again. The first one was easy to recognize since he wore last year's jersey to the tournament, but the second I only found through interviews. Does Ikatama Kids have an immediate entry, because the the second person is representing the Kyushu winning team and was in Ikatama Kids last year...

ss-hikaru

Thanks for making me do some research lol, there seems to be 2 people that have made it into the finale again. The first one was easy to recognize since he wore last year's jersey to the tournament, but the second I only found through interviews. Does Ikatama Kids have an immediate entry, because the the second person is representing the Kyushu winning team and was in Ikatama Kids last year...

To be honest I just assumed they would be returning to defend their title, but thinking about it that's not how actual Koshien works...

HawthorneKitty

To be honest I just assumed they would be returning to defend their title, but thinking about it that's not how actual Koshien works...
Yeah, I didn't see their name when Kanto qualifiers were announced so I assumed they were gone. What's sad is that Tokaigi doesn't seem to have a music stage this year so RIP Squid Sisters.

Biske

You know... when its rain maker... dont try and take the rain maker deeper into our base, when they are in our base, kill you, and then instantly get a huge lead...

You know... when its rain maker... dont try and take the rain maker deeper into our base, when they are in our base, kill you, and then instantly get a huge lead...
Ppl still doing that? D: When RM was first released, ppl were treating it like regular capture the flag and though the point was to take the fish back to home base. This is weird since the game gives a message to tell the player to stop retreating...

Biske

Ppl still doing that? D: When RM was first released, ppl were treating it like regular capture the flag and though the point was to take the fish back to home base. This is weird since the game gives a message to tell the player to stop retreating...

It's usually a pretty solid tactic, your team is dominating, clock is running down so the team takes it back to their base and its impossible to get back.

Problem is when you do this when you team isn't dominating.

So we were ahead, would have won had the person literally done nothing. Would have been better for them to take it and push it forward, just as an act of stalling: go forward, die, they have to fight to pop the rainmaker, worst case scenario they get it and we kill them.

Instead while we had a comfortable lead, person grabbed it, took it backwards, got killed, they grabbed the rainmaker and instantly over took us.

Rainmaker is the greatest mode of incompetence I think, to this day. All you have to do, ALL you have to do, constantly grab the rainmaker and move forward. Instead people pop it and then try to wipe the whole team before grabbing it and moving forward. But most times you die and the other team is left with a free rainmaker and no opposition.

Boggles me to no end.

Same thing with Tower Control "hmmm shouldn't get on the tower yet, better try to kill everyone.. oh i died and they are on the tower"

I rolled the shirt and shoes just now

Let's get to S with this why not

XXLn6Ew.png

IMO, you don't need over 20 points of Damage for the Splat/Kelp/Bento. I use 16 points and do perfectly well. You can probably switch the shirt and not notice any difference in kill potential.

Wondering if anyone in here can help me out.

Haven't played since about July, but thought I'd start up again. Problem is, once I start the game, the splash screen comes up with the drum loop, and just hangs there. Never loads into the game.

Tried deleting all update data, and letting it reinstall, but no dice.

Any ideas?

abd

Love your avatar.

I found someone else that had a similar issue one year ago, and the problem was that they didn't have a linked Nintendo Network account.

Jims

The existence of Quick Respawn in Splatoon 2 leaves me worried about that game..

They're gonna nerf it. The devs have been (surprisingly) good about where to put their nerfs and buffs, they're bound to know how much people complain about it and Stealth Jump. It would be kind of shocking if they did nothing about it.

I feel like that's been one of the under-reported successes of the first Splatoon. They seemed to be really in tune with how the meta of the game was evolving and what kinds of solutions could fix them. The Burst Bomb change was kinda brilliant, looking back on it. And they actually gave us detailed patch notes. Would like to see the Smash games follow suit (at least with patch notes) in future entries.

Geg

Local wireless, LAN (no internet required), and spectator mode have all been confirmed by the Japanese twitter.

J@hranimo

Banned
They're gonna nerf it. The devs have been (surprisingly) good about where to put their nerfs and buffs, they're bound to know how much people complain about it and Stealth Jump. It would be kind of shocking if they did nothing about it.

I feel like that's been one of the under-reported successes of the first Splatoon. They seemed to be really in tune with how the meta of the game was evolving and what kinds of solutions could fix them. The Burst Bomb change was kinda brilliant, looking back on it. And they actually gave us detailed patch notes. Would like to see the Smash games follow suit (at least with patch notes) in future entries.

Yeah I figure, I was just salty one night of not being able to do much due to QR being so prominent. I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and think they didn't bother patching it to work on revamping it for the sequel.

Yep, still hype! This will make streaming for tournaments a breeze.

HawthorneKitty

Seeing as how Nogami is at like every other Koshien event, I'm not surprised they are in-tune to trends of great players.

Who's got the Japanese tournament footage??

Also, I think quick respawn is fine as it helps people who die a lot whereas someone who is better at avoiding death should put another useful ability in place to overpower the opposition (quick jump, special gauge extender, etc.). Like getting killed in overtime usually causes the team to lose right after you die which makes qr a weak ability there. I find haunt is better than quick respawn...

Remember the Smash Bros motto: "Don't get hit".

Yarbskoo

^^ argh. tell us moreeeee.

Any word on the inkbrush in Splatoon 2 ??

There's not much I can tell you that hasn't been shown already. Using the dodge to sidestep rollers and avoid specials and charger locks is really satisfying, and raining death from above with the jetpack special is fun too. I prefer the Pro controller to the joy cons, and it took a while to get used to X being Map and B being Jump. I kinda wish Map was a button hold instead of a toggle, but maybe there's an option for that.

You could only choose from 4 weapons, and inkbrush was not among them.

Love your avatar.

I found someone else that had a similar issue one year ago, and the problem was that they didn't have a linked Nintendo Network account.

Thanks so much! Drew it m'self.

Also, disc was just really dirty. Cleaned it off and it's working like a charm!

Let me know if you want to squad up sometime. NNID is Kidgalactus, and I'm always up for some splats.

There's not much I can tell you that hasn't been shown already. Using the dodge to sidestep rollers and avoid specials and charger locks is really satisfying, and raining death from above with the jetpack special is fun too. I prefer the Pro controller to the joy cons, and it took a while to get used to X being Map and B being Jump. I kinda wish Map was a button hold instead of a toggle, but maybe there's an option for that.

You could only choose from 4 weapons, and inkbrush was not among them.

Shit. They Devil May Cry'd the jumping.

Who's got the Japanese tournament footage??

Also, I think quick respawn is fine as it helps people who die a lot whereas someone who is better at avoiding death should put another useful ability in place to overpower the opposition (quick jump, special gauge extender, etc.). Like getting killed in overtime usually causes the team to lose right after you die which makes qr a weak ability there. I find haunt is better than quick respawn...

Remember the Smash Bros motto: "Don't get hit".

The problem with Quick Respawn is how well it stacks. There's no diminishing returns. You can respawn in almost a second if you stack enough, which is ridiculous compared to the stock respawn timer. If it had diminishing returns or was a gear exclusive perk, it'd be much more balanced.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
https://youtu.be/2QjK3uTO4mg

So this happened... Global testfire for Splatoon 2 on March 24 to 26. On Nintendo's Official and verified Youtube Channel.

Get hype?

This ideal only holds true when there are massive skill variances within a single group. The problem with Quick Respawn shows its ugly head when teams of relatively equal skill are pitted against each other, where its capacity to break death cycle punishment starts becoming all too clear.

This is a game about pushing territory and exerting pressure and influence over the enemy team, irrespective of mode. When you splat a squid, you are creating a weakness in the enemy team in being able to hold their own territory and exert pressure against you for, by default, 8.5s, ignoring travel time to get back to the front lines. When the enemy uses Quick Respawn, it dramatically shortens this window that your team can use to make pushes, as they come back onto the map faster to re-exert their presence, making it considerably harder for you and your team to claim objectives. Conversely, your team can do the same to make it considerably more difficult for the enemy team to make such pushes. This effect is only amplified as more members on a team use QR, and it's all for no effort or skill at all.

It has become insanely prolific in use in Ranked modes and within the competitive community, especially in Japan, where heavy QR stacking builds are the norm.

On top of all this, Quick Respawn also has the honour of being the strongest stacking ability in the game.

So no, I don't agree at all that QR is fine at all. Our very own DaBoss called out this breaking of death cycles long before it became "the meta", and nowadays you can barely go a game without seeing at least one user have a build like the one in the above screenshot. It fundamentally weakens any enemy team's ability to push the core objective of the game for no effort at all. I sincerely hope that the ability sees significant nerfs in Splatoon 2 because the way it is right now is just absurd.

tsundoku

So this happened... Global testfire for Splatoon 2 on March 24 to 26. On Nintendo's Official and verified Youtube Channel.

Get hype?
thanks
was coming here to ask about the jp tweets cause i cant translate on mobile

https://mobile.twitter.com/SplatoonJP

splatoon 1 launched like a month after its testfire, I was always assuming end of may / May 28 because the Splatoon devs love that date but is it possible "summer" means April :0

literally only getting my switch day 1 so I can have it for the testfire before the launch of Splatoon2 for the Splatoonbox

big hype

i love that the huge crank of the nintendo allotted prisoner hours for the testfire continued into this testfire
it cracked me up
going to literally ask for days off from work

Get hype?

This ideal only holds true when there are massive skill variances within a single group. The problem with Quick Respawn shows its ugly head when teams of relatively equal skill are pitted against each other, where its capacity to break death cycle punishment starts becoming all too clear.

This is a game about pushing territory and exerting pressure and influence over the enemy team, irrespective of mode. When you splat a squid, you are creating a weakness in the enemy team in being able to hold their own territory and exert pressure against you for, by default, 8.5s, ignoring travel time to get back to the front lines. When the enemy uses Quick Respawn, it dramatically shortens this window that your team can use to make pushes, as they come back onto the map faster to re-exert their presence, making it considerably harder for you and your team to claim objectives. Conversely, your team can do the same to make it considerably more difficult for the enemy team to make such pushes. This effect is only amplified as more members on a team use QR, and it's all for no effort or skill at all.

It has become insanely prolific in use in Ranked modes and within the competitive community, especially in Japan, where heavy QR stacking builds are the norm.

On top of all this, Quick Respawn also has the honour of being the strongest stacking ability in the game.

So no, I don't agree at all that QR is fine at all. Our very own DaBoss called out this breaking of death cycles long before it became "the meta", and nowadays you can barely go a game without seeing at least one user have a build like the one in the above screenshot. It fundamentally weakens any enemy team's ability to push the core objective of the game for no effort at all. I sincerely hope that the ability sees significant nerfs in Splatoon 2 because the way it is right now is just absurd.

This is an excellent post and is something I will incorporate in my review for the game now, but I can't accept an ability centered around dying being the best way to win in this game. A team that relies on one ability is weak. In Advance Wars: Days of Ruin you can't send endless waves of weak units to bog down or block an opponent as they get btfo and power up the unit.

Why don't we try out two teams here on GAF with one team using a qr set with ninja jump or whatever and the other team with variety this weekend?

This is an excellent post and is something I will incorporate in my review for the game now, but I can't accept an ability centered around dying being the best way to win in this game. A team that relies on one ability is weak. In Advance Wars: Days of Ruin you can't send endless waves of weak units to bog down or block an opponent as they get btfo and power up the unit.

Why don't we try out two teams here on GAF with one team using a qr set with ninja jump or whatever and the other team with variety this weekend?

Let me show you to my favorite group... 4 Carbons with all QR on Tower Control endlessly super chaining the Tower should they even get 1 on it.

tsundoku

i always thought it was obvious how good quick respawn would be/was in ranked based on how the death counts were at least triple to quadruple the average death count in turf war

similar to stacking move speed in turf war where you're trying to control 51% of the landmass at multiple chokepoints that requires constant vigilance and quick escapes / flanking

i might actually get into ranked mode in splatoon 2, i found it trivial to get to s rank playing it a bit every month or once in a blue moon by just conciously playing for the objective, but after s rank you run into people who reset their console two hundred times or straight up save hacked to have the 9 lower ability slots all go into one thing, me picking two swim speeds or two quick respawn mains (ive basically levelled every piece of gear to 3* and never rerolled a single item) and a style choice option for the last slot meant i was rolling with a deck stacked short

I know they were trying to build a meta around "lucky equipment" and some of those main+3same sub items are legit and cost people the millions of coins equivalent i spent on acquiring and levelling every equip in the game instead; but it just always felt like, Gunbound had avatar off servers in 2003, why is Splatoon making me dress hideously in 2015/2016/2017?

Toadsili T

Neo Member

We're not talking about weak units in Splatoon though. We're talking about strong units; sometimes the best in the game; and giving them stronger map presence for no penalty at all. Sending out these units one after the after in this manner can ACTUALLY work really damn well, and can be terribly obnoxious and difficult to deal with when the enemy team is consistently exerting pressure on the objective, your teammates, and on your dwindling turf.

Some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4NtMY-H0M4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XnKEHSmyfI

Granted, these are Tower Control only, but it drives home the point. Territory and objective presence are absolutely essential in Splatoon, and QR makes this considerably stronger for the team that has it compared to one that doesn't. There is a reason it has become so prolific in the meta, and why more and more people dislike the ability.

So what you're saying is I need to stack Quick Respawn on all my gear now right
It's entirely up to you. I don't personally like using it.

I'm starting my charger-only smurf account run. Bamboozlers in or out? Any other parameters I should consider?

I'd say Bamboozlers can count, but they're played differently vs the rest of the Charger family. How experienced are you with the Charger family?

Moondrop

Banned
I'd say Bamboozlers can count, but they're played differently vs the rest of the Charger family. How experienced are you with the Charger family?
Well, I've dabbled in every weapon type since release. But I'm only competitive using stuff like custom blaster, trislosher, carbon roller.

Well, I've dabbled in every weapon type since release. But I'm only competitive using stuff like custom blaster, trislosher, carbon roller.

In that case, if you want to improve just pure aiming skill, use a Charger without any bomb subs. I didn't go that route, but I had no choice in the beginning of the game. I actually rely on bombs much more often than other Splat Charger/scope users, but that's just how my style developed.

Classic Squiffer might feel most comfortable to you since it shares the same kit that the Custom Blaster has. Damage Up isn't needed because Squiffers can't kill with partial charges. A lot of Squiffers like to run a heavy Run Speed Up build, so you can try that. The alternative is to just use your Custom Blaster set for now and just refine/slowly change to gear that feels better for the Classic Squiffer.

If you want, you can look through Azure J's Twitch stream and see how he plays Charger and learn from it. Speaking of, are you able to stream?

MarkusRJR

So I'm finally getting back to Splatoon. I basically played the story mode and 10 hours multiplayer back around when it launched (and occasionally coming back every few months for a few rounds).

With Splatoon 2 on the horizon I wanna get good at the game. I started up a new save and was wondering if there were any good tips for a beginner?

Moondrop

Banned
In that case, if you want to improve just pure aiming skill, use a Charger without any bomb subs. I didn't go that route, but I had no choice in the beginning of the game. I actually rely on bombs much more often than other Splat Charger/scope users, but that's just how my style developed.

Classic Squiffer might feel most comfortable to you since it shares the same kit that the Custom Blaster has. Damage Up isn't needed because Squiffers can't kill with partial charges. A lot of Squiffers like to run a heavy Run Speed Up build, so you can try that. The alternative is to just use your Custom Blaster set for now and just refine/slowly change to gear that feels better for the Classic Squiffer.

If you want, you can look through Azure J's Twitch stream and see how he plays Charger and learn from it. Speaking of, are you able to stream?
Great call with no bombs. It's such a crutch as someone who's played the game.

And I'll focus on your classic squiffer recommendation (as soon as I unlock it). It is my favorite sub/special combo.

I don't think I'll set up streaming this close to the Switch launch, but I will look for Azure J's stream. Thanks for all your advice.

RiggyRob

So I'm finally getting back to Splatoon. I basically played the story mode and 10 hours multiplayer back around when it launched (and occasionally coming back every few months for a few rounds).

With Splatoon 2 on the horizon I wanna get good at the game. I started up a new save and was wondering if there were any good tips for a beginner?

Stack Quick Respawn on all your gear

Actually for a beginner it's about getting used to gyro controls and the different modes. Play around with the sensitivity settings until you find something you're comfortable with.

The Ink Resistance Up ability is the best for shoes, right?

abd

I have always found the scapegoating of Quick Respawn distasteful. Perhaps its effect should be halved, but dismissing the ability of players, or an entirety of a game because someone wore full Quick Respawn is a shame.

phanphare

Banned
I just went up against a slosher that had all damage up pretty much and found it more annoying than any quick respawn build I've played against, though my ceiling is A+ and I only play splat zones ranked. I feel like quick respawn would be more beneficial in rainmaker and tower control especially so ::shrugs::

I'm sure they'll balance it if it needs to be balanced. they've been really good about that stuff and like someone else said that burst bomb nerf/sort of buff was a pretty creative solution.

Hachi, Sensei and Colin are very high tier in the Advance Wars games they show up in :^) production bonuses are hard to balance, and honestly quick respawn is very similar to having a production bonus; you can field more units more quickly than your opponent can, and yes the bulk eventually adds up.

I have always found the scapegoating of Quick Respawn distasteful. Perhaps its effect should be halved, but dismissing the ability of players, or an entirety of a game because someone wore full Quick Respawn is a shame.
Splatoon's perks are already a game of inches, having to wear tons of something to even see a meaningful advantage. Even then, making use of said perks still requires some commitment on your part and doesn't trivialize fights. You need to stay alive, you need to maneuver, and you still need to aim. You can still be beaten by someone with superior tactics.

On the other hand, Quick respawn gives a powerful buff on a good curve, and doesn't require that you stay alive at all. You win just through pure attrition, because you can. Who cares about dealing 30% more damage, or running 50% faster, when there's more of you on the field? The moment the QR stacker trades (or heaven forbids kills you), you're already down in efficiency. If you kill the QR stacker, you don't gain much meaningful benefit at all.

Quick respawn has already shown up in Splatoon 2, but if it is as strong as how it is in Splatoon 1, I will be very disappointed.

Doorman

You're probably right in that it becomes kind of an easy crutch/complaint that someone doing well with a QR build isn't exhibiting any skill at the actual game, but even at its best it's an unbelievably strong tactic that deserves to be brought more in-line with other abilities. Essentially, QR forces your opponent to win encounters more consistently than you do in order to achieve the same degree of in-game success, whereas most other abilities simply tweak your odds of winning an exchange within that moment. In the ranked modes, where direct player confrontation is more common and necessary, the usefulness of that is heavily strengthened.

I've always believed that the developers never touched quick respawn because they wanted it to intentionally stay strong for lesser-skilled players, and thus keep them invested in playing even if they're bad and die a lot. Their approach to weapons and maps and everything was all tailored toward this knowledge of people being inexperienced with the game and genre early on as well. Hopefully with the sequel already demonstrating a willingness to assume more of the player and put a more deliberate eye to the competitive aspect of the game (what with new elements being added, removing invulnerable specials, adding more complexity to weapon movesets, etc), they'll be willing to address the preponderance of QR builds moreso than they have before.

Top Bottom