• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

RiggyRob

Did not even realise that doing Squad battles with someone who has a low level ranked account can carry yourself up to higher ranks.

Wish I'd known that earlier to be honest!

I don't understand. This game has been out for how long? And people still don't hit the beakons. I've seen it happen on a frighteningly large amount of battles where my teammates painted an area and completely left the beakons untouched. Surely they can see them once they're clear as day on the map.

I also don't like that a lot of people don't seem to be going with the rainmaker holder. They're gonna need help and if someone paints for them they can travel much faster :(

Biske

I don't understand. This game has been out for how long? And people still don't hit the beakons. I've seen it happen on a frighteningly large amount of battles where my teammates painted an area and completely left the beakons untouched. Surely they can see them once they're clear as day on the map.

I also don't like that a lot of people don't seem to be going with the rainmaker holder. They're gonna need help and if someone paints for them they can travel much faster :(

I've seen that a lot too, I don't think a lot of people care, also sometimes beakons are placed just to distract you away and waste your time, so they aren't always worth taking out.

But there are tons of instances where very crucial beakons are not taken out and it is a problem.

Don't even get me started on rainmaker. In my experience, nobody is interested in moving the rainmaker in any way shape or form.

Yarbskoo

Don't even get me started on rainmaker. In my experience, nobody is interested in moving the rainmaker in any way shape or form.

I keep thinking they're doing it on purpose. Like they want to drag it out as long as possible, and I go and fuck everything up by actually trying to win.

abd

I don't want to make it seem like I am invalidating your opinions, and my experiences are not as storied as some here, but contrary to my teammates we didn't lose to Quick Respawn. We lost because it broke our moral and our teamwork broke down from the pressure. They stopped communicating and became observers, deciding we lost even with a 30 point lead.
I can agree that it can use some adjustments, though I think it is on par with Defense Up. I just think the reputation is overblown.

Thanks so much! Drew it m'self.

Also, disc was just really dirty. Cleaned it off and it's working like a charm!

Let me know if you want to squad up sometime. NNID is Kidgalactus, and I'm always up for some splats.

Cool. I sent you a friend request. If you are interested you should check out the Discord server link in the OP. It is what a lot of people from this thread use to organize games and hang out. Though, turf war is mostly played. I just remembered the link might not be there. If you want I can send it to you. No pressure, but everyone there is cool and chill cats.

Biske

I keep thinking they're doing it on purpose. Like they want to drag it out as long as possible, and I go and fuck everything up by actually trying to win.

Honestly, it gets worse, the higher tier that I'm in.

As if everyone is so damn concerned with playing smart and trying to create some power play situation.

When I just grab the rainmaker every time possible and push it forward. Progress my fellow Squidiots. Progress.

Can't tell you how many times I swoop in during a 2 minute long fire fight to grab the rain maker.

I know I've said it before in this thread, but I'll repeat myself.

I hate teammates that do not play to the objective. I have been in multiple matches where I have a team member go all Rambo and we end up losing. But it's ok because he got a killer 23/0 kill/death count.

Then there's the team that do not advance the objective when all of the opponents have been killed. Such valuable time gone to waste.

And this is in S Rank matches. I really enjoy my battles when I rank down to A+ because people actually know to play the objective in A+ Rank.

As if everyone is so damn concerned with playing smart and trying to create some power play situation.

Can't tell you how many times I swoop in during a 2 minute long fire fight to grab the rain maker.

This is the exact situation I always see myself in, so I decided to become the flag runner by equipping as many run/swim speed ups possible and always grab the rainmaker.

phanphare

Banned
the splatoon gods have been blessing me with a lot of museum zones during the two time slots I can play during the week as of recent

good stuff

Biske

This is the exact situation I always see myself in, so I decided to become the flag runner by equipping as many run/swim speed ups possible and always grab the rainmaker.

I find the situation so silly, it almost doesn't matter weapons or buff's I use, still the only one really running it, so progress is progress.

And this is in S Rank matches. I really enjoy my battles when I rank down to A+ because people actually know to play the objective in A+ Rank.

You're pretty lucky. I spent most of yesterday on a de-rank streak dropping all the way down to A-. It appeared no one was able to climb the second tower on Moray to claim that side first and work backwards except me (and by the time I took over that Zone, the team would come rushing over to attack me) and were constantly distracted by enemies on Museum climbing over to our side. Eventually I tried the same tactic and climbed over there, splatted everyone I could (usually 2-3 enemies) but the rest of my team was jacking off somewhere else I guess? They never painted the zone.

When I just grab the rainmaker every time possible and push it forward. Progress my fellow Squidiots. Progress.

I love doing this, especially where the Rainmaker is on/nearby a grate like Kelp or Moray. Just the whole team is fighting the other team and YOINK. Sometimes it works too on smaller stages like the Mall where you can actually get pretty far. Even 1-3 steps is progress....I've lost by that much before so anything is good.

In the very least, if my team is there and I know they have enough firepower its easy to turn the Rainmaker into a quick bomb too. I'll usually try to get close and unleash as many Seekers as I can near it, even if I'm under heavy fire because I know 2-3 will pop it.

tsundoku

Splatoon's strength has always been turf war for me, and aside from the occasional safari over the course of 1.5 years to ranked mode to get the S rank I was happy with, I literally levelled all the way to 50 on turf war.

the core game design of Splatoon really comes together on making the entire map / every corner and chokepoint into one macro and subdivisions of micro control points.

Map control also affords you movement and movement affords your teammates positioning and therefore affords you spawn / push points.

I hope the ranked modes in Splatoon2 really find a unique identity instead of wasting 80% of each map by focusing absolutely everyone's attention on one tiny, glitchy, platform, one or two critical paths and one or two small, glitchy, control points

ChrisD

just a quick driveby

if you run quick respawn, stealth jump luneo on skatepark

you're the problem in this game
screw you
i dont like you
nobody likes you
go tryhard elsewhere

screw you

this extends to custom range blasters as well

no

everybody with the setup in TC

8FZuxer.jpg

Spotted a brand spanking new giant Squiddy plush at TRU today. A friend of mine mentioned that Nintendo apparently bought a whole aisle in TRU so it'll likely be Switch/amiibo and now all the World of Nintendo stuff all combined together which sounds like a great idea to me.

ChrisD

there's nothing quite like splatoon rage

It bothers me doubly so because I used to do the same as them. :(

Spotted a brand spanking new giant Squiddy plush at TRU today. A friend of mine mentioned that Nintendo apparently bought a whole aisle in TRU so it'll likely be Switch/amiibo and now all the World of Nintendo stuff all combined together which sounds like a great idea to me.

Want
Not sure where it would go, but want

Moondrop

Banned
Charger Quest is going great! It's totally different when there's no turning back to your comfort zone. It's also very freeing playing an alt- I'd limited myself from so many ranked rotations in fear of deranking.

I've definitely improved in a week, and there have been amazing moments. Twice in tense TC matches I let the clock go down to overtime and climbed to a perch, on the upper outer grates at Blackbelly and the highest point in Hammerhead, and knew I wouldn't let my team down.

I got in a groove with classic squiffer immediately and shot up to B rank by level 16. But it's not as if I was terrorizing the poor C's; I had a positive VORP with point sensor and bubbler alone.

And though I'm not yet great, I think it may be time to move up to the splat charger? There aren't going to be invincibility specials in the sequel, and I'm starting to get wrecked by e-liters. Perhaps go into 1P to unlock the kelp charger so I don't become bomb-dependent?

On the topic of Quick Respawn, I think y'all are taking it a bit far. An effective build to be sure, but you can't neglect opportunity cost. There are lots of other useful abilities- I refuse to leave the house these days without 10 points of defense and tenacity, for starters.

ChrisD

It's Tower Control, man
QR SJ on Tower Control is no fun to play against whatsoever. I also don't like having the folks on my team because the players tend to be hyper suicidal (though why wouldn't you be with death being so free?).

I don't get annoyed with it any more than I do standard game things like Zooka in Turf, RM, or SZ. It's the forsaken Luneos/CRB already being tops in TC alongside an all but penalty-free death that, as I learned today and tonight, bugs me a LOT more than I thought.

Tenacity is great, but I dislike the looks of them all. Soccer Headband looks best, but I'd rather not use it over a hat... Or my ugly clown suit of Run Speed stuff that grew on me.

Moondrop

Banned
It's Tower Control, man
QR SJ on Tower Control is no fun to play against whatsoever. I also don't like having the folks on my team because the players tend to be hyper suicidal (though why wouldn't you be with death being so free?).

I don't get annoyed with it any more than I do standard game things like Zooka in Turf, RM, or SZ. It's the forsaken Luneos/CRB already being tops in TC alongside an all but penalty-free death that, as I learned today and tonight, bugs me a LOT more than I thought.
This is what I mean by "a bit far." It's only penalty-free if you trade with your QR foe. If you survive, there are plenty of penalties for them- stopping the tower, stopping the rainmaker, a big burst of paint in the splat zone, etc.

Tenacity is great, but I dislike the looks of them all. Soccer Headband looks best, but I'd rather not use it over a hat... Or my ugly clown suit of Run Speed stuff that grew on me.
Headband is top tier freshness for me. Sporty bobble hat is nice too. Gas mask is cancer.

I have a question that I've been noticing recently.

I have Haunt on my one tee. I figured it was a great support ability to help my team. When I die and I haunt the player, does everyone on my team see the haunt?

I only ask because I've seen the player who i've haunted easily go right past my teammates and even have seen them come from behind and splat my team like they didn't even notice it.

Is it just shitty teammates or am I the only one who can see the haunt?

Regiruler

That reminds me: is this the same large plush that japan got?

tsundoku

I have Haunt on my one tee. I figured it was a great support ability to help my team. When I die and I haunt the player, does everyone on my team see the haunt?

I only ask because I've seen the player who i've haunted easily go right past my teammates and even have seen them come from behind and splat my team like they didn't even notice it.

its the same as point sensor or echo its just short

Everyone can see the haunted enemy.

So it's down to busy/unaware/shitty teammates :(

Moondrop

Banned
Got my first deliberate sprinkler kill. Had a squid in hot pursuit, so I hopped down a level and threw it against the wall near the base, getting 'em all the way down.

What's the current consensus on scope vs. no-scope? It appears scope has a more pronounced range advantage now since the patch.

Got my first quadruple kill in ranked on A+. It's always a good sign when your team doesn't take control of the splat zones after such a feat.

As far as the most aggravating abilities go, I would rank them as follows:
1. Special Builder + Bubbler - extremely cheap on Splat Zones on the Port Mackeral stage. All they have to do is push into your territory and there is little you can do to break the formation or fight against 4 bubbled opponents, especially as a brush user. I'm sure teams have thought out ultimate cheapness by combining this ability with another bubbler and chaining them endlessly together. This ability ensures a QR newb can jump to you for invulnerability without consequence.

2. Quick Respawn - extremely irritating to deal with when stealth jumpers start camping. Just like Special Builder, I don't think there is much to do when a team can position themselves in advantageous locations with this ability. Moray Towers lets users kamikaze well since the tower is generally suspended over a chasm, but I find Moray Towers is fairly mindless on Tower Control regardless. Doesn't seem cheap on Turf War. I think QR can be beaten with one particular strategy that requires everyone on the team to be in-the-know. Outside of that I think you have to capitalize on the enemies mistakes of jumping at a bad time.

3. Ink Resistance - which practically gives the enemy Ninja Swim in your ink. This should be removed from the game because it is extremely irritating to have to "repaint" over your ink for enemies as if they're on your own team. Fighting enemies that slide around unabetted by your world shaping goop to only pop out for a ohko on you after camping makes the game look fake or like cheat codes are on. It's hard enough to examine small patches of ink laid down for enemies.

Is it aesthetically fine?

Have there been any team type names given? Like a 4 brush user team could be dubbed "sweeper squad". A 4 bubbler user team could be called "tank team". Wouldn't a tank team be a hard counter for a sweeper squad?

Moondrop

Banned
Ok, I've watched a few of Azure J's streams and I see the answer is definitely scopes. Damn. And I wouldn't have guessed Bento, but I'm a believer now.

tsundoku

Got my first quadruple kill in ranked on A+. It's always a good sign when your team doesn't take control of the splat zones after such a feat.

As far as the most aggravating abilities go, I would rank them as follows:
1. Special Builder + Bubbler - extremely cheap on Splat Zones on the Port Mackeral stage. All they have to do is push into your territory and there is little you can do to break the formation or fight against 4 bubbled opponents, especially as a brush user. I'm sure teams have thought out ultimate cheapness by combining this ability with another bubbler and chaining them endlessly together. This ability ensures a QR newb can jump to you for invulnerability without consequence.

2. Quick Respawn - extremely irritating to deal with when stealth jumpers start camping. Just like Special Builder, I don't think there is much to do when a team can position themselves in advantageous locations with this ability. Moray Towers lets users kamikaze well since the tower is generally suspended over a chasm, but I find Moray Towers is fairly mindless on Tower Control regardless. Doesn't seem cheap on Turf War. I think QR can be beaten with one particular strategy that requires everyone on the team to be in-the-know. Outside of that I think you have to capitalize on the enemies mistakes of jumping at a bad time.

3. Ink Resistance - which practically gives the enemy Ninja Swim in your ink. This should be removed from the game because it is extremely irritating to have to "repaint" over your ink for enemies as if they're on your own team. Fighting enemies that slide around unabetted by your world shaping goop to only pop out for a ohko on you after camping makes the game look fake or like cheat codes are on. It's hard enough to examine small patches of ink laid down for enemies.

You seem to be confusing ink resistance for the game's limitations in netcode / being on the Wii U in general

Enemies that are swimming through the ink will flat out phase through bullets when you are shooting at incredibly small puddles / areas of ink that you know they're in or tracking their pathing perfectly.

The game engine also likes to randomly not draw squids swimming through the ink and this problem seems to be exacerbated by players who travel quickly and frequently switch between squid form and kid form, where instead of showing you their model getting down and getting up it will just show you absolutely nothing, not even the swimming-ripples effect that you'd expect yourself to easily spot after 18 months of practice.

You'll shoot them as they transition to swimming in the ink and hear the hit marker and watch your hit land, track them perfectly with their visible or invisible ripples and not land any hits and be aiming at the exact location they come up at and get/hear a second hit marker, and then it's all up to the remaining latency if your 2 shots from your splattershot or their blaster shot comes out first.

Given that we've already seen footage of Splatoon 2 with it no longer having 4 second long super jumps and respawns I have a lot of confidence and hype for how much the switch engine and the netcode for the switch game have improved but Ink resistance isn't the problem, its just straight up the game not being able to keep up with how fast people can move with stacked stats, mashing buttons, and lighter weapons.. in the midst of battles where people are dropping so many bombs and bomb rushes and aerial shots and ink that the game's also dropping like half its framerate

You seem to be confusing ink resistance for the game's limitations in netcode / being on the Wii U in general.
Shoot. I didn't think of the net code. Nice write-up. Can you help me review that by further expanding on it? I know there have been extremely rare moments when my Inkling explodes after darting behind cover.

What does everyone think of the net code?

ChrisD

Current ink res is fine. The old one with splatlings would have been op as all hell.

Old Ink Res was hilarious. I remember just straight up walking through enemy ink to run away from incoming fire. So glad they changed that.

^It wouldn't be Splatoon without net code allowing you to die behind a wall or two. Or three. The net code works in that, you know, you can play with others worldwide, but if I was paying for what we have right now I'd be pretty dang annoyed... And would continue to pay anyways. =/

Has anyone else here attempted a review for the game? I am going to contact Silver and see if I can get him to do a write up as he's put out the most in-depth videos I've seen on the game. Gotta find a way to professionally transcribe youtube videos to text...

RiggyRob

Has anyone else here attempted a review for the game? I am going to contact Silver and see if I can get him to do a write up as he's put out the most in-depth videos I've seen on the game. Gotta find a way to professionally transcribe youtube videos to text...

Chuggaconroy did a fair few videos of Splatoon as well a while back and I hear he's often praised for the level of detail in his Let's Plays.

As for video to text - if a video is scripted you can upload the script to YouTube and it should sync it automatically to subtitles, but that's dependent on the uploader actually knowing that fact.

Shoot. I didn't think of the net code. Nice write-up. Can you help me review that by further expanding on it? I know there have been extremely rare moments when my Inkling explodes after darting behind cover.

What does everyone think of the net code?

Basically, even though you've ducked behind cover, the game is slow to relay that to the opponent's screen, so you're still vulnerable to their shots on their screen. Heck, you may have noticed that when you splat someone, their splatted icon might appear in a different spot compared to where they died on your screen. This is extremely easy to notice when splatting someone with a Charger.

Hope I helped. If you need any more clarification, let me know.

nin1000

Banned
Kinda LTTP but i got the game gifted as a christmas present and just now got around to spend some time with it.
After finishing the Singeplayer part of the game i can safely say that i am having a Blast with it. I tried out MP the moment i started the game but somehow i seemed to be "underleveled. So after the campaign i feel comfortable to give the MP another go.
EU Gaffer here, could someone hand me a simple guide on what to keep in mind when buying clothes etc ?
I cant wait to spend a lot of time with the game until Splatoon 2 comes around.

phanphare

Banned
Kinda LTTP but i got the game gifted as a christmas present and just now got around to spend some time with it.
After finishing the Singeplayer part of the game i can safely say that i am having a Blast with it. I tried out MP the moment i started the game but somehow i seemed to be "underleveled. So after the campaign i feel comfortable to give the MP another go.
EU Gaffer here, could someone hand me a simple guide on what to keep in mind when buying clothes etc ?
I cant wait to spend a lot of time with the game until Splatoon 2 comes around.

just mess around with different stuff and see what you like. different weapon kits will go well with different abilities. most of the abilities are self explanatory so I'd say utilize the weapon training area to get a good feel for the weapon set you want to use and then see what gear abilities will complement it best. also look online to see what sub abilities are favored for each brand. so for instance if you're using a weapon and you want some mobility buffs check out what gear has swim speed up or run speed up as a main ability or as a favored sub ability for that brand. or if your sub weapon uses a lot of ink check to see which gear has ink saver sub for its main ability or as the favored sub ability for that brand.

just experiment with stuff and find whatever setups feel good for you

I'll give you an example of what I use. I'm a splattershot main and I use 1 main bomb range up and 3 subs of bomb range up as well as 3 subs of damage up to help buff my burst bombs and then I also use some swim speed up and some run speed up to help with movement.

nin1000

Banned
just mess around with different stuff and see what you like. different weapon kits will go well with different abilities. most of the abilities are self explanatory so I'd say utilize the weapon training area to get a good feel for the weapon set you want to use and then see what gear abilities will complement it best. also look online to see what sub abilities are favored for each brand. so for instance if you're using a weapon and you want some mobility buffs check out what gear has swim speed up or run speed up as a main ability or as a favored sub ability for that brand. or if your sub weapon uses a lot of ink check to see which gear has ink saver sub for its main ability or as the favored sub ability for that brand.

just experiment with stuff and find whatever setups feel good for you

I'll give you an example of what I use. I'm a splattershot main and I use 1 main bomb range up and 3 subs of bomb range up as well as 3 subs of damage up to help buff my burst bombs and then I also use some swim speed up and some run speed up to help with movement.

Thanks, will try out the shooting area, i did not even know that there was one.

I really hope in Splatoon 2 we can get some more active training dummies. I mean, its nice to try out the weapons but I think it'd be great if for instance they'd allow you to battle Octolings or something. In Single player they were sometimes pretty slippery, especially on the challenge mode ones and I think that'd be great to train against.

Azure J

Got my first deliberate sprinkler kill. Had a squid in hot pursuit, so I hopped down a level and threw it against the wall near the base, getting 'em all the way down.

What's the current consensus on scope vs. no-scope? It appears scope has a more pronounced range advantage now since the patch.

If you're going for straight up range advantages, scope by far. Unscoped chargers have their merits, especially if you're one who cannot deal with the screen zoom as it is currently handled, but all of them really have a hard time competing with their scoped siblings

Ok, I've watched a few of Azure J's streams and I see the answer is definitely scopes. Damn. And I wouldn't have guessed Bento, but I'm a believer now.

Oh wow, thanks. I play all the splatterscopes really but I've been focusing on maxing out Bento's turf inked scores which is why you see me using it a lot recently. Personally, my baby's the Kelp Splatterscope.

ChrisD

okay
okay
hear me out

this 57 point QR dude
he's Tentatek
no SJ thank the heavens
but
he threw a Suction Bomb
and I killed him in a trade
the bomb goes off
and
wait for it
I die
so that's whatever right

it goes to the death cam
and
he's
friggin'
alive
already

I watched my killer and my prey run out of spawn and ink up turf for like three seconds
this is nuts guys

okay
okay
hear me out

this 57 point QR dude
he's Tentatek
no SJ thank the heavens
but
he threw a Suction Bomb
and I killed him in a trade
the bomb goes off
and
wait for it
I die
so that's whatever right

it goes to the death cam
and
he's
friggin'
alive
already

I watched my killer and my prey run out of spawn and ink up turf for like three seconds
this is nuts guys

That's QR stacking in a nutshell. It really should've had diminishing returns applied to it.

If you're going for straight up range advantages, scope by far. Unscoped chargers have their merits, especially if you're one who cannot deal with the screen zoom as it is currently handled, but all of them really have a hard time competing with their scoped siblings
Can confirm. For example, here's a list of some maps where when I'm unscoped e-liter I'm likely fucked if there's a good scoped e-liter on another team.

Arowana Mall (scoped can reach across sniper perches, unscoped can't)
Bluefin Depot (^)
Ancho-V (can reach across stage while peaking to get me when i'm trying to peak. I have to risk myself hardcore to get across)
Hammerhead (way too easy to be outspaced by the nature of the stage)
Moray Towers (Scoped can reach outlook from main sniper perch. Unscoped can't. Auto duel loss there)

Similar shit goes for splat chargers, just different scenarios... Except there are way more of them. The number of situations you basically autolose to scope is ridiculous.

Unscoped has its advantages, but you have to be sneaky, fast, and accurate to take advantage of them without dying to scoped chargers repeatedly. But it does teach you fairly quickly that you should be moving around constantly because otherwise you'll just die, die, and die some more.

Moondrop

Banned
Unscoped has its advantages, but you have to be sneaky, fast, and accurate to take advantage of them without dying to scoped chargers repeatedly. But it does teach you fairly quickly that you should be moving around constantly because otherwise you'll just die, die, and die some more.
Unscoped felt better at first because I had just done a week of squiffer training. But now scope seems superior, what with zoom timing and all. I can't handle staying zoomed in, so I just release and use it as further reinforcement to stay mobile.

Scopes are kind of rough from a freshness standpoint though. They're larger than inkling limbs.

Oh wow, thanks. I play all the splatterscopes really but I've been focusing on maxing out Bento's turf inked scores which is why you see me using it a lot recently. Personally, my baby's the Kelp Splatterscope.
Yeah, great stuff. Beyond the play (and the pleasant commentary), I think I admire your freshness the most- three separate mains and a 3x3 grid of damage up is a great template for splatterscope builds. Though I see you also go for a 3x19 sometimes which is cool too.

Ah, I did suspect Bento might not be your true main. Kelp makes the most sense for zones and tower, but there's a strong argument for Bento in rainmaker. Bento felt a bit awkward at first- echo disappointing after all the nerfs, and splash wall has always been awkward for me. But from your videos I've tried to approach the wall as more of a barrier tool than the "oh shit" button it clearly isn't, and I've had some nice moments.

I'll play with Kelp a bit more; I've always found sprinkler and wail just ok, but they fit splatterscopes well. The lure of the splat bomb is calling to ward off rushdowns, but I'm still concerned it will make me a worse sniper.

Top Bottom