• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
sk3tch said:
Is there going to be a CoD MW3 PC specs/performance/comparison thread like we had for BF3? I feel that would be helpful and it would also keep us geeks from muddying up the OT...
Unless something went wrong, it will run about as well as MW2. It's not going to tax any systems. A modest system should lock you at 60 fps.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Let's talk it out in chat later :p

Sorry Volc ;)

I should edit and HHHNNNNNNNNNNNG pic into that post. Decisions, decisionz!

confused

Banned
Nelo Ice said:
In total they're 14GB, they're just split up for some reason like most of the CoDs.

Why is it that some games do this ? Medal of Honor 2010 also gave you a seperate single- and multiplayer. What for ? I could just as easily launch the multiplayer from a menu in singleplayer. We managed to do that for years.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
14GB for MW3? That is way too big. And looking at the PC screenshot thread, there is nothing in them shots saying this game should be 14GB but hey, it happens I guess
LLShC.gif

The main issue is that it usually takes me an hour to download 1-2GB so that will be a long DL when that happens.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
confused said:
Why is it that some games do this ? Medal of Honor 2010 also gave you a seperate single- and multiplayer. What for ? I could just as easily launch the multiplayer from a menu in singleplayer. We managed to do that for years.
MOH does it because it's straight up two different engines.

COD has been doing it since COD1 and I think it's because of their completely separate teams for SP/MP.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
LiquidMetal14 said:
14GB for MW3? That is way too big. And looking at the PC screenshot thread, there is nothing in them shots saying this game should be 14GB but hey, it happens I guess
LLShC.gif

The main issue is that it usually takes me an hour to download 1-2GB so that will be a long DL when that happens.

14GB is (relatively) within reason considering MW2 is 11~12GB. The game certainly could be smaller, though, as even the PS3 version is somewhere in the 8GB ballpark.

confused

Banned
Stallion Free said:
MOH does it because it's straight up two different engines.

COD has been doing it since COD1 and I think it's because of their completely separate teams for SP/MP.

I never knew this, thanks.

wutwutwut

Stumpokapow said:
There are plugins to make vBulletin use many hash functions, and I haven't looked at it in years, but the last time I did the default md5(md5(password) . salt) with the salt being per-user and stored in the users table in a separate column. So, good enough to avoid most rainbow tables, but not ideal.
That's completely fucked up and because of modern advances like CUDA and OpenCL is trivially crackable. There's absolutely no reason to use anything but bcrypt. If you're writing a password-authed system and not using bcrypt, you should frankly lose your job.

Was Valve using vBulletin?
Yeah, it says so right there :)

plc268

Holy crap. They finally discount Operation Arrowhead to a decent level as to not insult the ones bought the original at $50.

Too bad I've lost interest in ARMA now.

Backstory: Ever since Operation Arrowhead came out, even in promotions, they practically gave away ARMA2 for free while charging nearly full price for OA. Great deal for those new to the series, but a slap in the face to those who had the original game.

Spwn

Nothing really. It feels like the publishers on Steam are getting ready for the Thanksgiving and Christmas sales so no incredible sales have been around.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Glass Rebel said:
So, I've been away for over a week. What did I miss?

The "every game on Steam 75% off" sale.

Did you get the latest Humble Indie Bundle, yet?

Glass Rebel

morningbus said:
The "every game on Steam 75% off" sale.

Did you get the latest Humble Indie Bundle, yet?

I like to pay full-price to support the poor developers publishers anyway.™

Sure did. Can't wait for the next indie royale bundle in 2 days.

coopolon

For those who pre-ordered Skyrim on D2D, the Steam codes are there now if you want to add it to Steam. Still no pre-loading though so it doesn't do much.

Edit: Actually I can download the game from Direct2Drive. I have no idea what that means though, will Steam recognize it?

amrod

coopolon said:
For those who pre-ordered Skyrim on D2D, the Steam codes are there now if you want to add it to Steam. Still no pre-loading though so it doesn't do much.

Edit: Actually I can download the game from Direct2Drive. I have no idea what that means though, will Steam recognize it?

OTZbu.png

Downloaded to see...

Looks like a the contents of a CD copy of the game so you can install it...

Relax.MX

Someone is playing Titan Quest: Immortal Throne? im looking for a coop or strategy.. im stuck with the final boss(of the main game), i really dont have problem in all my run with the difficulty, im a Mage Warrior(Fire).

Derrick01

Banned
coopolon said:

It has to the game's steamworks. There's been no word on any other copies not being steamworks like a Witcher 2 situation. I don't know how the download works without steam, maybe it's like installing it from the disc but requiring Steam to "unlock" it *shrug*

Smash88

Banned
Blizzard said:
Has anyone tried the Steam LA Noire version yet? I did not see any recently updated thread for impressions.

Just going to go on a hunch, probably garbage.

Or....

It is released on a week where MW3 and Skyrim is being released and it is being overlooked.

Blizzard said:
Has anyone tried the Steam LA Noire version yet? I did not see any recently updated thread for impressions.

RPS just did a write up on the PC version.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/08/la-noire-pc-review/

PC Specific stuff from the review:

PC-wise, there’s very little new to report. No performance problems I encountered, the mandatory requirement for (mercifully in-game only, no external app this time) Rockstar Social Club is fleetingly annoying, the mouse works in the menus… Getting all the DLC in the meta-box rather than doled out expensively over successive months is helpful, even if the new, standalone cases feel too abstracted from the main game (cf Deus Ex: The Missing Link), but it means a fuller package and more chances to play ‘spot the Mad Men supporting actors.’ The controls don’t feel quite right, primarily because a gamepad rumble function was so fundamental to sniffing out clue locations: driving and the clunksome shooting are fine on the good old mouse and keyboard, comparable to GTA IV, but I did default to a pad in the end for the rumble alone. Of course, real men turn off all the clue prompts and just use their eyeballs, but I’m scarcely a real man.

The PC build looks better than the console build without looking dramatically better, primarily due to those clumsy wooden bodies, but it’s that pointless city that benefits the most. More detail, more draw distance, more brief satisfaction in soaking it all up before moping that there’s nothing to do except drive to the next crime scene, where at least you’ll lose yourself in diligently sniffing at abandoned cigarette packs and gruesomely investigating glassy-eyed bodies for clues. LA Noire is more than capable of being mesmeric, but I wish they’d ditched the pretence of open-world and poured those resources into fleshing out the unrelenting logic system instead.

Narag

Orcs Must Die had some DLC go up. http://store.steampowered.com/app/102623/

Key Features:
Five new levels: Test your orc-slaughtering skills in a challenging series of fortresses!
Two new enemies: Fear the icy breath of the Frost Bat, and beware the draining magical attack of the Cyclops Mage!
New leaderboards: Challenge your friends for the highest score on leaderboards for the five new levels.
New skull rewards: Earn up to fifty additional skulls to further upgrade your arsenal of traps!
New bonus trap!: Place the Mana Well in strategic locations around a fortress for a burst of magical energy at just the right moment.

Kinda tempted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom