• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
UnluckyKate said:
There's only 4 games I don't have in there : Aquaria, Bit Trip Runner, World of Goo and Super Meat Boy.

- Aquaria will be in the next Humble Bundle
- I really didn't like Bit Trip Beat that much to buy Runner
- I played a lot of World of Goo already at friend's...

Might bite for Super Meat Boy... Might not...

If you own that many of the games in the pack, just grab Meat Boy by itself - it's still half-off. If you have a dual analog controller for your PC and any love of skill-based platforming at all, it's a worthwhile investment dripping with content, unlockable characters, a level editor/level sharing service, and a great soundtrack.

PaulLFC

Two new interesting entries in the registry - PixelJunk Eden has been added to the Subscriptions tab after it turned up in Applications a while ago - this usually means it'll be releasing soon.

Also there's "Sins Trinity - Retail" which is a separate entry to the normal Sins Trinity, so it seems you may be able to activate retail and possibly Impulse copies of the game soon.

Forkball

When I started up Steam one of the announcements was that I already bought the Super Meat Boy bundle and I could gift my extra copies, but when click on "give gifts now" nothing appeared. You crazy, Steam. Maybe since I had most of the games it thought I bought it.

L00P

Forkball said:
When I started up Steam one of the announcements was that I already bought the Super Meat Boy bundle and I could gift my extra copies, but when click on "give gifts now" nothing appeared. You crazy, Steam. Maybe since I had most of the games it thought I bought it.
same here

kswiston

Have IGN Prime

Have King Arthur Steam Key from IGN prime

Already have King Arthur Complete Pack

First Gaffer to quote this can have my extra key. Please don't claim if it is just going to sit in your backlog for 2 years.

Card Boy

Banned
kswiston said:
Have IGN Prime

Have King Arthur Steam Key from IGN prime

Already have King Arthur Complete Pack

First Gaffer to quote this can have my extra key. Please don't claim if it is just going to sit in your backlog for 2 years.
me

Dizzy-4U

I've been getting updates for Dungeon Defenders every day for the past few weeks. Is this accurate or is the Steam client freaking out on me?

Card Boy

Banned
Dizzy-4U said:
I've been getting updates for Dungeon Defenders every day for the past few weeks. Is this accurate or is the Steam client freaking out on me?

Is it re-downloading the whole game each time it does it?

Im_Special

Dizzy-4U said:
The Dev's of DD don't test there patches so yes its normal, basically it goes like this
patch 7.10
- Added super-loot items
patch 7.10a
- Nerfed super-loot drop rate
patch 7.10b
- Slightly un-nerfed super-loot drop rate but didn't do it correctly
patch 7.10c
- Supposedly (I haven't tested yet) un-nerfed super-loot drop rate

Dizzy-4U

Im_Special said:
The Dev's of DD don't test there patches so yes its normal, basically it goes like this
patch 7.10
- Added super-loot items
patch 7.10a
- Nerfed super-loot drop rate
patch 7.10b
- Slightly un-nerfed super-loot drop rate but didn't do it correctly
patch 7.10c
- Supposedly (I haven't tested yet) un-nerfed super-loot drop rate
Hahaha, ok no problem then. I just thought my install got corruped or something.

NBtoaster

Is Saint's Row 3 closer to GTA or Just Cause 2? Don't like GTA (even the old ones). I like a purpose behind the chaos like in just cause.

If its not to my liking ill just get MW3 and wait for SR3 in the winter sale.

Tomodachi said:
I played it years ago (with mods), it's just that I didn't have on Steam and got it yesterday. I just wanted to see how vanilla oblivion hold up with skyrim out ;)
Me too. Playing it first without mods is like a step down memory lane.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm confused is Ben there, Dan That ment to have voice acting? I saw some Youtube videos and they are all voiceacted, yet i tried the game on both my laptop and main gaming PC and it has no voice acting.

edit: Doh i guess it was a guy just reading it....

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Syphon Filter said:
How is super meat boy? Is it similar to Mario? Are there long levels, I see short ones on YouTube.
Super Meat Boy is the greatest platformer ever made.

It has very very little in common with Mario games outside of genre,

The levels are never very long, but that is a good thing.

confused

Banned
Nice pack at a bad price. I'm only missing Aquaria but I'll wait for the humble bundle for that one as it comes with Defcon, which looks quite good.

inky

Well, not Steam related but AC Brotherhood Deluxe version is DOTW in the GFWL marketplace. $15 I think. You will probably be able to get it for around that price or cheaper soonish, but it could be a good option if you have some microsoft points to spend.

graywolf323

inky said:
Well, not Steam related but AC Brotherhood Deluxe version is DOTW in the GFWL marketplace. $15 I think. You will probably be able to get it for around that price or cheaper soonish, but it could be a good option if you have some microsoft points to spend.

wonder why there's no deluxe edition of Revelations for PC

graywolf323 said:
wonder why there's no deluxe edition of Revelations for PC

Yea this is somewhat disappointing, especially considering that Brotherhood on the PC got a pretty decent deluxe edition on Steam for no extra cost.

Oreoleo

Syphon Filter said:
How is super meat boy? Is it similar to Mario? Are there long levels, I see short ones on YouTube.

It's like Mario, if Mario were made by Satan with the aim to make you feel weak and miserable with how challenging it is.

Most levels are pretty short spatially, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will get through them swiftly.

Edit: oh look at this whole last page I didn't notice..

Peagles

Nabs said:

$25 for the pack. 50% off each individual title.

I already own 5 of them I think.

The press release says you can gift the extra copies but when I go to the checkout Steam warns me that I won't receive any extra copies. Anyone getting the same? I'm sad.

Tomodachi

Get bit.trip runner even if you didn't like beat, it's a different thing altogether. Runner is SOOO good and should be in every steam library (I think it's better than super meat boy, even if comparing the two doesn't really make a lot of sense).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Peagles said:
I already own 5 of them I think.

The press release says you can gift the extra copies but when I go to the checkout Steam warns me that I won't receive any extra copies. Anyone getting the same? I'm sad.

It tells me to reference the support page:

Steam said:
Super Meatboy Anniversary Pack: According to our records, you already own one or more of the items included in this package on Steam. If purchasing for yourself, see the Extra Copies support article to determine whether the items you already own can be shared with friends.

I find it pathetic that receiving giftable copies of games I already own when purchasing a bundle is not a standard feature and is instead used to sweeten the occasional promotion. If I'm paying for a bundle that includes games I've bought in the past, I very well should be given the additional copies, regardless of circumstance.

Peagles

JaseC said:
It tells me to reference the support page:

I find it pathetic that receiving giftable copies of games I already own when purchasing a bundle is not a standard feature and is instead used to sweeten the occasional promotion. If I'm paying for a bundle that includes games I've bought in the past, I very well should be given the additional copies, regardless of circumstance.

Same, and I totally agree, but SMB homepage clearly says you can gift extras. Hopefully it'll update?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Digishine said:
Just received 2 times portal 2 and Dota 2 from steam. Thx gabe !
Why? How? My cousin really wants to play Portal 2, but she can't afford it. What magic do I have to perform to receive Free Portal 2?

PaulLFC

JaseC said:
I agree completely, that's my main problem with Steam and what otherwise is a great service. I've paid the same amount of money that anyone who owns none of the games in the pack has. Therefore I should receive the exact same product, i.e. every single one of the games included in the pack. If, as it is currently, part-owners don't receive a full product, they should get a discount on the purchase price to reflect the inferior product they're given.

It's extremely rubbish analogy time: I think of this like buying a multipack of peppers at the supermarket. You buy a pack that has two yellow peppers and a red pepper in. You then buy another pack that has a red pepper, a green pepper and an orange pepper. Only when the cashier goes to scan the second pack through at the checkout, they say "Oh sorry, you already own a red pepper, so I'll just take this out of the pack and sell you the remaining two for the same price. Happy shopping!". It wouldn't happen with any other products, so why is it considered acceptable and "normal" on Steam?

drizzle said:
Why? How? My cousin really wants to play Portal 2, but she can't afford it. What magic do I have to perform to receive Free Portal 2?
I think (hope) this was a joke :( If not, I echo these questions!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
PaulLFC said:
I think (hope) this was a joke :( If not, I echo these questions!
I was reading back on the thread and it seems to be in regards of that fake gabe email that went out. It makes sense.

Except it's too late and it has no context, but yeah. A joke.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Seeing as how publishers decide prices/sales rather than Steam, wouldn't it be more likely that they also decide if extra copies in a pack are giftable? I mean, Valve clearly likes the idea as they always do it for their packs.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
PaulLFC said:
It's extremely rubbish analogy time: I think of this like buying a multipack of peppers at the supermarket. You buy a pack that has two yellow peppers and a red pepper in. You then buy another pack that has a red pepper, a green pepper and an orange pepper. Only when the cashier goes to scan the second pack through at the checkout, they say "Oh sorry, you already own a red pepper, so I'll just take this out of the pack and sell you the remaining two for the same price. Happy shopping!". It wouldn't happen with any other products, so why is it considered acceptable and "normal" on Steam?

That is one way to put it.

Wendel Clark said:
Isn't Portal 2 probably going to be really cheap for the Christmas sale?

It was 50% off last month ($15), so I'd say a Daily Deal discount of 66% is assured.

Stallion Free said:
Seeing as how publishers decide prices/sales rather than Steam, wouldn't it be more likely that they also decide if extra copies in a pack are giftable? I mean, Valve clearly likes the idea as they always do it for their packs.

Possibly, but I don't see why publishers would object to a customer receiving a giftable copy of a game they already own seeing as they've paid for the whole package. I'm sure making it a standard feature would be quite easy.

coopolon

Stallion Free said:

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Below are the only times they do. So most of the games in the Valve Complete Pack do not come with gift copies if you already own the game.

Valve said:
Users who own "Left 4 Dead" and then go on to purchase "Left 4 Dead + Left 4 Dead 2 Bundle" will receive an extra copy of "Left 4 Dead"
Users who own “Half-Life 2” and go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack" will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2”.
Users who own “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase the "Half-Life 2: Episode Pack”, “Valve Complete Pack” or “The Orange Box” will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2: Episode One”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom