• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The Sexy Brutale seems like an interesting game for fans of murder mysteries and puzzles.

Really good, but plenty of early access jank. Don't expect game updates on the schedule of something like Battlegrounds either and server queues are a thing. Get into a good group with voice chat though and it's great. It's like a condensed Arma.
Great, thanks for the info

lazerfox

Anyone knows whats wrong with my Inventory? Which button do I press to enter a price manually?

I have ES and Steam Inventory Helper installed.

fPGmM5s.png

Switching to the desktop client works which is kinda annoying.

edit: fixed it SIH was acting weird

kionedrik

I need to vent a little bit...

Underrail is a great game. It's the type of RPG Bethesda wishes they were still competent enough to make. I've played the game for 64h and, apart from some minor issues, loved every minute of it.

Until I reached the final zone/dungeon. Why? Who thought this was a good idea? The list of stupid shit randomly put in there seems endless... Neverending spawning enemies? Yes! Permanent debuff that can't be cured? Yes! Labyrinthine dungeon where every room looks almost identical? Of course! No sense of direction or instructions of what to do or where to go? Yep! Barely any interaction with the environment or NPCs, the kind of thing you expect in a RPG, besides combat? Sadly yes...

It's just stupid design decision on top of stupid design decision, on top of yet another stupid thing. It's so bad it tarnishes all the other 60h+ I played the game and managed to suck all the joy I had while playing it, to a point where I don't even feel like finishing it... It's all so bad it's sad.

RiggyRob

Any recommendations on best/cheapest local competitive games, ideally with PS4 controllers? My laptop's not much better than a potato.

Just seen Mount Your Friends for £1.59, which is pretty much the best example I can think of.

Ventara

Alright, despite what I said about my backlog, I couldn't resist and updated my cart with a few games. Found some nice gems and my cart is at $29. Might cut a few out, but This should pretty much be my final list. Just need to wait until Friday for Humble Monthly before making my purchase.

Anyone know why this happened? Because I usually get a confirmation of PayPal's converted price, which I didn't get now.

I'm not particularly troubled by it now, since DS3 has been on my wishlist for a while now and the price was good, but I'd really rather not have this happen to me with most other games.

do you have the one touch feature enabled? because that might be your issue...... if i'm wrong, someone can correct me

level1

Alright, despite what I said about my backlog, I couldn't resist and updated my cart with a few games. Found some nice gems and my cart is at $29. Might cut a few out, but This should pretty much be my final list. Just need to wait until Friday for Humble Monthly before making my purchase.
Next humble monthly is on the 7th iirc, so 2 days after sale ends

Any recommendations on best/cheapest local competitive games, ideally with PS4 controllers? My laptop's not much better than a potato.

Just seen Mount Your Friends for £1.59, which is pretty much the best example I can think of.

Ultimate Chicken Horse is *brilliant*, and Crawl is also fantastic, and probably inspired more hooting and hollering than any other game in our house. People want to play those two every time we do a "couch games night", while other things like Gang Beasts have fallen off a bit.

Vlad

Ultimate Chicken Horse is *brilliant*, and Crawl is also fantastic, and probably inspired more hooting and hollering than any other game in our house. People want to play those two every time we do a "couch games night", while other things like Gang Beasts have fallen off a bit.

How's the skill ceiling in Gang Beasts? The videos for that always look amusing enough, but is it possible to ever really get "good" at the game? It always seems so floppy and flailing that I wonder if there's any appeal after laughing at the physics stuff wears off.

RiggyRob

Cool - I forgot to mention, it'd mainly be 1v1 local multiplayer, do UCH and Crawl require more than 2 players to be at their best/most fun?

Somehow Steam has decided that I really, really like rogue-likes.
Just about every game in the last 3 queues I went through were rogue-likes.

Can anyone cast light on why that is happening?

I'll be done with Clannad soon. Any other notable VN's on Steam I should consider getting from the sale? Are Clannad Side Stories or Tomoya After worth it?

Open for any other visual novel recommendations too. Not a huge fan of horror. Already played Steins;gate, VA-11 Hall-A, Danganronpa, Zero Escape (guess the latter three don't strictly speaking count)
How was it?

I'll be done with Clannad soon. Any other notable VN's on Steam I should consider getting from the sale? Are Clannad Side Stories or Tomoya After worth it?

Open for any other visual novel recommendations too. Not a huge fan of horror. Already played Steins;gate, VA-11 Hall-A, Danganronpa, Zero Escape (guess the latter three don't strictly speaking count)

THE HOUSE IN-

The House in Fata Morgana. Without question.

I'm glad you beat me to it.

Yup. Best VN, best story, best cast, best OST, best art I've seen in a game.
..:That said, it does get really horrific at points, there's a content warning list out there (with spoilers).

Higurashi's horror, but you might want to try it out regardless, it's great.

Umineko is absolutely wonderful, you might enjoy it slightly more after Higurashi though. It's also HUGE (like, 120+ hours for all 8 episodes huge. but only the first 4 episodes are out right now on Steam, no date announced for Episodes 5-8, which is called Umineko Chiru)

A retro one I love is YU-NO. Ever17 and Remember11 are other favorites of mine.

rfield84

Banned
I think I'm going to get Terraria as well.It's like 4.99 right now. I have it on console, but I am not enjoying using a controller with it. Feel like I'll enjoy it with a mouse+keyboard.

Wok

Ucchedavāda;241900803 said:

You really, really, really like rogue-likes, don't you?

Knurek

I'll be done with Clannad soon. Any other notable VN's on Steam I should consider getting from the sale?

(Not on sale, but the common route is free, so you might want to try it before buying)

Seconding Umineko and Fata Morgana.

All of you are now on FBI's watchlist

zkylon

zkylewd
It reminds me of chrono trigger and has one of my favorite rpg battle systems. The soundtrack is also great. I will say the story is a little lacking and has a lot of cheesy throwback stuff.

Yeah pretty much, it pays homage most to Chrono Trigger I feel. The combat system reminds me a lot of it. My only gripe with the game is the first couple of hours are very linear... like FF13 linear, but it opens up a bit more after a few hours.

It definitely feels like a classic JRPG though. The characters are all great, good designs all around. Story isn't spectacular, but it's serviceable.

thanks for the replies

that sounds really cool, will pay a bit more attention to it

akira28

I need to vent a little bit...

Underrail is a great game. It's the type of RPG Bethesda wishes they were still competent enough to make. I've played the game for 64h and, apart from some minor issues, loved every minute of it.

Until I reached the final zone/dungeon. Why? Who thought this was a good idea? The list of stupid shit randomly put in there seems endless... Neverending spawning enemies? Yes! Permanent debuff that can't be cured? Yes! Labyrinthine dungeon where every room looks almost identical? Of course! No sense of direction or instructions of what to do or where to go? Yep! Barely any interaction with the environment or NPCs, the kind of thing you expect in a RPG, besides combat? Sadly yes...

It's just stupid design decision on top of stupid design decision, on top of yet another stupid thing. It's so bad it tarnishes all the other 60h+ I played the game and managed to suck all the joy I had while playing it, to a point where I don't even feel like finishing it... It's all so bad it's sad.

That's why I stopped playing and am waiting for the DLC which supposedly addresses this very often repeated issue with the game's ending.

But yeah its an awesome game with so much replay value if the ending didn't make you to never want to play it again.

Speaking of roguelikes, I'm trying to remember the name of this third-person action roguelike. It was released a year or two ago, was in Early Access for a bit, and I think was one of the first PC games from that particular Japanese(?) developer. Had sort of a chibi look to the characters, while also looking kinda Dark Souls-y.

It's super low-profile--couldn't find it while looking through the roguelike tag.
Ucchedavāda;241900803 said:

Isn't your avatar from a roguelike? That's probably why.

Or else you recently played a game with a roguelike tag, I guess.

Ended up picking up a PC copy of Lost Planet 2 for $4 along with some buddies so we can co-op that game again, it's been a long time and despite its flaws I love it dearly.

Also grabbed Lost Planet 1 but I guess I forgot how horseshit the final boss is so I just kind of pretended that the game ended at Mission 10 so I can say I beat it.

How does Logitech RMA work? They offered me a G710+ with blue cherry keys to replace my G710+ with brown keys. Typically, can I expect to send my old one AFTER they ship a new one to me? Or do I send the old one first?

My next 3 days off will suck if they expect me to send the old one now.

Knurek

I really wanted to play VN since i have never did before. I'll start with Clannad and Dies irae. Thanks

Do not start with these, both of them are 80+ hour affairs.

This is a decent intro into the genre - 100% free, not too long (3-5 hours), great story as well.

Jawmuncher

Tender loving care is still the only game i've bought this sale.
I want DisHo 2, but now that's it's $19.99 I wonder if I can just try and wait for it to hit $14.99 now.

OmegaDL50

Is it fair to list game deals we scored from other sites that incidentally also go on sale to keep up with Steam's own Summer Sale?

Because I managed to get some really good deals despite trying to not buy anything for this sale.

I managed to get Tekken 7 plus it's Season Pass for $60 basically getting the Season Pass for free from Gamebillet.

Also on a Metroidvania kick, I grabbed Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, and Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight. I actually managed to not spend over a $100 for this sale.

The best part is I bought games I'm actually going to legitimately play not just impulse buy stuff I just sit on my backlog and remember some months down the line.

bbd23

It seems like it's a must buy for almost everyone. What didn't you like about it?

at launch there was a lot of annoying stutter and I hated the map system in it. also I feel I wont be able to complete some of these platforming sections..how difficult did people find it ?

Anno

at launch there was a lot of annoying stutter and I hated the map system in it. also I feel I wont be able to complete some of these platforming sections..how difficult did people find it ?

The stutter is thankfully gone. The map system is still the same, though some additional hints have been added in to help you know when you're close to the map maker in each zone so that's probably a bit easier.

The only platforming section that's almost universally considered super difficult is optional to completing the game. It is necessary for the true ending though.

OmegaDL50

So I've never played a dead Rising game. Should I start from the beginning? I seem to recall these were kinda cappy ports?

None of the Dead Rising games on PC are crappy ports. Then again pretty much any game that uses the MT Framework engine runs exceptionally good on PC hardware.

bbd23

The stutter is thankfully gone. The map system is still the same, though some additional hints have been added in to help you know when you're close to the map maker in each zone so that's probably a bit easier.

The only platforming section that's almost universally considered super difficult is optional to completing the game. It is necessary for the true ending though.

hmm thats interesting about the hints...I will check it out. thanks!

Ventara

I think my very first Disgaea Infinite, followed by Ace Attorney. Neither of which are on Steam. Look into Aviary Attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom