• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Riposte

So do y'alls still like this game?

I'm sure if I spent more time with it I could grow to like it, but there is just too much great competition this year to give up my "fighting game" time for it. Simply isn't on my radar anymore outside streams.

Tobe

the thing that bugs me the most is that the game had the potential for being FUCKING GODLIKE, but ended being a crap chimera type of game, all the supposedly best parts of other games didnt really do good for sfxtk.

Degen

the thing that bugs me the most is that the game had the potential for being FUCKING GODLIKE, but ended being a crap chimera type of game, all the supposedly best parts of other games didnt really do good for sfxtk.
at least it got Scramble Mode, the best part of critically-acclaimed titles Street Fighter EX3 and Guilty Gear Isuka

Degen

Doesn't feel right, netcode makes endless lobbies a challenge, gimmicky mechanics, most favorites are either DLC or not in the game, this King is a fraud, gems, etc.

Couldn't care less about the on-disc DLC. I knew what I was paying for on the first day and what I wasn't. Shame so many apparently didn't, not that this ever mattered either.

SUPARSTARX

I like this game. About on equal level with SF4. I can't stand playing AE online right now, the netcode from SFxT back to AE just makes me not wanna play AE online. I'll probably limit my AE playing to locals at Next Level cab and casuals with my friends.

The gems make the game more unique and interesting to me like an RPG of some sorts. Only along the lines of how say in World of Warcraft you could have the same players choose the same equipment but gem them where the stats would differ in slight directions. In here it's kind of the same, you could play a Ryu and Ken being heavy pressure and choose damage and meter gems where they can link and cancel into fireballs and hurricane kicks all day or you can pick something where one of them batteries, the other has follow up damage with boost gems and what not.

I mean with SF4 out for so many years, there's still tons of stuff I don't know about and am still discovering whenever I play some 1+ hr sessions online or not. People can't expect to play SFxT for three weeks and determine the end game is gonna be full of time outs and shitty damaged combos. It just doesn't work that way. I don't understand why people can't see timers and health being factored into the meta-strategy of this game now. Is it some sort of honorable mantra? Cuz I've been timing people out in SF4 with Bison for years...

Still love the game, and I've been having great matches online as of late. No sound bug or anything. It's a brilliant fusion of the two gameplay styles and mechanics, I think.

I like this game. About on equal level with SF4. I can't stand playing AE online right now, the netcode from SFxT back to AE just makes me not wanna play AE online. I'll probably limit my AE playing to locals at Next Level cab and casuals with my friends.

The gems make the game more unique and interesting to me like an RPG of some sorts. Only along the lines of how say in World of Warcraft you could have the same players choose the same equipment but gem them where the stats would differ in slight directions. In here it's kind of the same, you could play a Ryu and Ken being heavy pressure and choose damage and meter gems where they can link and cancel into fireballs and hurricane kicks all day or you can pick something where one of them batteries, the other has follow up damage with boost gems and what not.

I mean with SF4 out for so many years, there's still tons of stuff I don't know about and am still discovering whenever I play some 1+ hr sessions online or not. People can't expect to play SFxT for three weeks and determine the end game is gonna be full of time outs and shitty damaged combos. It just doesn't work that way. I don't understand why people can't see timers and health being factored into the meta-strategy of this game now. Is it some sort of honorable mantra? Cuz I've been timing people out in SF4 with Bison for years...

Couldn't agree more. I've talked to a few people that were arguing about the timeout issue, and upon playing them, I found out that they just sucked at the game. I showed them my petty knowledge, gave a few pointers, and stuff moved much more briskly. I know I don't have many time outs anymore either.

How's the balance been so far with teams and gems? I remember seeing around launch Hugo rocking a lot of players and some DLC gems being better than standard ones. Been waiting for the PC version to finally come out, but if the community or balance isn't there, I'll probably pass on it.

The gems make the game more unique and interesting to me like an RPG of some sorts.

Yeah, it's actually really fun trying out new ideas.

My primary Poison/Asuka load out is geared toward using Poison as a battery with 2 meter gems, and Asuka as the finisher with a speed gem and a meter gem that both activate when Poison cross rushes her in. Asuka then has a second speed gem that activates after 3 specials, so if I guess right twice they are pretty much dead.

Then, a day ago, I just had an idea for a totally different loadout, geared toward Pandora Asuka. I use the time extender on Poison (because your partner is the one who has to equip the Pandora extender gem) and Pandora speed/power gems on Asuka. Asuka with infinite meter becomes really threatening, because she suddenly becomes a grappler with flawless anti-air and really damaging combos. With the right Pandora gems, her EX command grab can do like 260 damage, and her basic BnBs (which she can combo into from overheads) can now do 500-600 or more. Dealing with that for 14 seconds can be really scary.

Got my very first ranked Pandora victory today because of it.

The same two characters. Played COMPLETELY differently. Exactly as advertised.

Aedile

How's the balance been so far with teams and gems? I remember seeing around launch Hugo rocking a lot of players and some DLC gems being better than standard ones. Been waiting for the PC version to finally come out, but if the community or balance isn't there, I'll probably pass on it.

If the same fraction of SF4 console-to-PC sales is replicated in SFxT it's probably not going to sell that well. I wouldn't say that character balance is a notable problem, though. And while there are DLC gems that are arguably and inarguably better than their non-DLC equivalents, aren't the gem packs free? Or was that only some of them?

I dumped my console version on the expectation that I'd pick it up on PC at some point, depending on sales and how the PC version was going to handle the DLC characters. Like you, I'm concerned about whether the PC community is going to be there. I wish Capcom had waited until SFxT console sales had dropped off (unless they already have) and then released PC SFxT at a price point that could attract the unconverted.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Nah. I mean, yeah, it's good and all, but it's just not capturing my attention. Haven't played it in well over a month now. Probably gonna trade it in towards Dragon's Dogma next month. =/ If the DLC characters were coming sooner, I might have kept it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I still like the game and am liking it more and more.

The more I play it the more I think the SFIV team really nailed things and fixed the few remaining problems SFIV had.

I'm also used to things enough now that gems are starting to matter. Understanding what's happening and how to play correctly are imperative before gems begin to make sense. People dismissed them too fast because of too much negative hype built up pre-release.

I love the contrasting play styles between SF and Tekken characters. It brings something to an SF game that's fresh.

i love the game, but its a shame there hasn't been many good high profile tourneys for it yet. majors have been pretty stale in general these past few months. still waiting for the mvc3 final round equivalent for sfxt. hopefully civil war 4 will be good.

dlc gems upset me. not personally, because quite frankly i don't think they're broken really, but people seem to take them as a hindrance for tournament players and the tournament scene. its harder to like a game when theres no scene for it.

then of course theres the 2v2 evo ruling which is also likely to eliminate a good chunk of the scene participating in tournaments, even though i think its the better format.

on top of that, theres the recent capcom hate which prevents casuals or semi-serious players from giving the game a chance.

i'm fairly certain that this years evo will either make or break this game. i'd be pretty sad if it disappeared from the tourney scene tbh. maybe capcom will put a chunk of the $500k towards sfxt.

Sayah

I haven't played the game for some days now but I think it's pretty content heavy despite all the DLC stuff going on. There are just some things they are doing that are completely and utterly pointless/useless. There was no need at all to have gems or pandora. The game would have been perfectly fine without them IMO. In fact, the only times I've used pandora is when activates accidentally. Also, there is no need to delay DLC color unlocks when they are already there. I have no clue why they feel a need to delay extra color options. Maybe they want to make it seem like they are constantly providing "free" content for owners when those colors really should have already been there at release. And then there's neon colors. Dear God. Why even put them there?

Maybe if the development funds had been put more towards making an ideal online experience rather than all these other shenanigans, the game would be doing better. Half the pair play matches I play end up being cancelled for no reason at all.

If the same fraction of SF4 console-to-PC sales is replicated in SFxT it's probably not going to sell that well. I wouldn't say that character balance is a notable problem, though. And while there are DLC gems that are arguably and inarguably better than their non-DLC equivalents, aren't the gem packs free? Or was that only some of them?

I dumped my console version on the expectation that I'd pick it up on PC at some point, depending on sales and how the PC version was going to handle the DLC characters. Like you, I'm concerned about whether the PC community is going to be there. I wish Capcom had waited until SFxT console sales had dropped off (unless they already have) and then released PC SFxT at a price point that could attract the unconverted.

I know there we some paid-DLC and preorder gems so I'm gonna assume you have to buy them for the PC unless they come out with some digital deluxe version.

And the PC version is cutting out the DLC characters and maybe all the locked from the console version as well, so they'll probably release a huge patch later down the line to put it all back in.

They really just need to come out with a damn Super or special edition. All this DLC and locked content crap is irritating.

Team format is bad for a new game in competitive play.
i disagree. is it because we have to try to learn our characters and mechanics on top of learning teamwork? i think thats invalid because solo play and teamwork play have their own differences that set them apart. things you learn in 1v1 don't necessarily apply to 2v2, so it doesn't mean you have to learn the 1v1 game and then apply all of that plus learn additional stuff when playing 2v2. the simplest example for this is that you only need to learn 1 character instead of 2, which is aleady theoretically half the work right there.

the only thing that makes it "bad" is that we're not used to it, and not every has the most efficient means to train with a partner. however, that has nothing to do with the fact of sfxt being a new game. that problem would still exist if the 2v2 format was adopted next year instead, for example.

hertog

Absolutely love it. Played SSF4 to death, really wanted a new game.

It had all the good parts of SF4 together with an awesome Tekken-cast.
The gems and colors can give a personal touch to your favorite chracters and combo'ing is so satisfying.

For me it's the ultimate mix of MvC and a SF game.

Playing it online and with friends is a blast. The only real downside for me is that 85% the time I play against a Ryu-user online. That can get boring REALLY fast.

kewlmyc

...Damn, the trade-in value for this game is already down to $18 on Amazon. Compared to Twisted Metal (with came out a month before), which is $29.70. A lot of people must be trading it in.

...Damn, the trade-in value for this game is already down to $18 on Amazon. Compared to Twisted Metal (with came out a month before), which is $29.70. A lot of people must be trading it in.

Fighting game versus mainstream, first party driving/demolition game. Fair comparison.

It would be better to compare it to other fighting games. For example, how did it compare to SC5 after the same amount of time?

Oh that's right. No one knows. Because no one checked. Because people weren't hunting for failure metrics for that game. Only SFxT.

You guys are trying way too hard.

kewlmyc

Fighting game versus mainstream, first party driving/demolition game. Fair comparison.

It would be better to compare it to other fighting games. For example, how did it compare to SC5 after the same amount of time?

Oh that's right. No one knows. Because no one checked. Because people weren't hunting for failure metrics for that game. Only SFxT.

You guys are trying way too hard.

1. Did I ever say the game is a failure or that I didn't like it? No. I only stated this because I was about to trade it in to Amazon and thought that the trade in value was low compared to other games hat have been out for the same amount of time.

2. Since when is Twisted Metal mainstream and Street Fighter X Tekken isn't? If I recall SFxT actually sold more that Twisted Metal.

3. SCV is currently $14. However UMvC3 is $20.25 and KoFXIII for PS3 is $18.90, both of which have been out much longer than SFxT. This must mean that Amazon has an abundance of used copies so they are charging less for trade in value.

God, I wasn't even insulting the game, most people aren't insulting the game. They just have gotten bored with it. Just because someone got bored with the game doesn't mean that they think it's shit and are attacking it. You are the one that is "trying too hard", my good sir.

Still love playing the game, even though I haven't had much time to play lately. Not having much fun watching it in tournaments though, most players (especially out west) seem to be going through the motions. I'm seeing some really good play today though.

SUPARSTARX

Watch the Civil War 4 archive for the top. Jibbo and Magman putting in heavy work against Dieminion and ChrisG.

A shame Magman ran out of options and technology toward the end since ChrisG downloaded him hard. But very good matches and pretty much how I feel the game should be played on the higher levels.

laaame

Watch the Civil War 4 archive for the top. Jibbo and Magman putting in heavy work against Dieminion and ChrisG.

A shame Magman ran out of options and technology toward the end since ChrisG downloaded him hard. But very good matches and pretty much how I feel the game should be played on the higher levels.

The Jibbo vs Lud match was particularly great, at least for me, because I feel like both of those players have a much better understanding of the game. Lud had an excellent defense, using alpha counters and tagging out when it was necessary, and Jibbo with all that technology with his team. Would really love to post it here for other people's opinion to see if I'm just not a crazy person for liking this game lol.

SUPARSTARX

It's just hip to hate this game. Can't blame people for saying the game is not hype, people don't even know how to play this shit, sorry to say.

A lot of people still can't accept that health and time is part of the meta-strategy in this game. It's not the first 15 seconds of the match you determine time outs. It's the last 15 seconds. I can't blame people for calling the game boring if they subject themselves to watching two people play fake footsies for 30 seconds.

I read people crying about random and scrubby things that hit them all over the net and their problem is that they compare it too much to SF4 where there's focus attacks keeping armor moves in check. You just have to respect it a lot more in here.

Look at those ChrisG matches from Big Two. You can't time him out from the start, he dose 50% ungemmed combos if you give him enough time to build meter and then stays on you for oki.

People look at AE now and find certain things exciting and I think it is so because they understand the depth of the game now and hence why things are exciting to watch. All those magical jump ins into psychic rekkas or uppercuts? Viewers can recognize it as option selecting or just incredible reading now. SF4 rewards knockdowns a lot characters game revolves around it and that didn't translate off entirely into SFxT. If people want to roll, you take note and then you set them up for safe jumps on roll. If not, you can just pressure them SF4 style on their wake up and then play with option selects.

Lot of people just aren't looking deep enough IMO. It's sad, but I like this game a lot and it's silly to keep reading stuff all over the FGC sites crapping on the game they don't understand. And for the people who do understand? They're online playing. I laugh when people think the high end SFxT metaplay has been figured out already. There's still new stuff coming from even Super Turbo twenty years later, man. AE sure as hell got plenty of mileage left going.

The only thing that keeps me from playing is that I really haven't found any characters that "click" with me yet. Hopefully the DLC characters will give me some juice.

kewlmyc

Capcom scumbag business tactics aside, the game is fine. I admit it's more interesting when it's 2v2, but 1v1 isn't bad either. We are just now getting to the phase where people are starting to experiment with the game more and moving away from the characters that they are familiar with like Rufus and the shotos. It would be more interesting to me if they actually used the game to its full potential and started using Gems in tournaments, but I doubt we'll see that anytime soon, if at all. Timeouts were a problem before because the FGC wasn't used to them, but as Suparstarx stated, it has become a part of the game and part of the strategy. If I recall, people weren't fond of MvC3 when it first came out, and now it's the most hype game at most tournaments.

It's just hip to hate this game. Can't blame people for saying the game is not hype, people don't even know how to play this shit, sorry to say.

A lot of people still can't accept that health and time is part of the meta-strategy in this game. It's not the first 15 seconds of the match you determine time outs. It's the last 15 seconds. I can't blame people for calling the game boring if they subject themselves to watching two people play fake footsies for 30 seconds.

I read people crying about random and scrubby things that hit them all over the net and their problem is that they compare it too much to SF4 where there's focus attacks keeping armor moves in check. You just have to respect it a lot more in here.

Look at those ChrisG matches from Big Two. You can't time him out from the start, he dose 50% ungemmed combos if you give him enough time to build meter and then stays on you for oki.

People look at AE now and find certain things exciting and I think it is so because they understand the depth of the game now and hence why things are exciting to watch. All those magical jump ins into psychic rekkas or uppercuts? Viewers can recognize it as option selecting or just incredible reading now. SF4 rewards knockdowns a lot characters game revolves around it and that didn't translate off entirely into SFxT. If people want to roll, you take note and then you set them up for safe jumps on roll. If not, you can just pressure them SF4 style on their wake up and then play with option selects.

Lot of people just aren't looking deep enough IMO. It's sad, but I like this game a lot and it's silly to keep reading stuff all over the FGC sites crapping on the game they don't understand. And for the people who do understand? They're online playing. I laugh when people think the high end SFxT metaplay has been figured out already. There's still new stuff coming from even Super Turbo twenty years later, man. AE sure as hell got plenty of mileage left going.
As someone who has never played SFxT or SF4, I think SFxT is very boring to watch while SF4 is not.

SUPARSTARX

As someone who has never played SFxT or SF4, I think SFxT is very boring to watch while SF4 is not.

To each his own. Like I said, the level of play in SFxT being streamed is 95% bad and not good. I can't blame you for finding it boring. Watching Dieminion and ChrisG isn't exactly the best assessment every Wednesday when Dieminion's sole intention is to get the upper lead and time out for his advantage like almost every game he plays.

To each his own. Like I said, the level of play in SFxT being streamed is 95% bad and not good. I can't blame you for finding it boring. Watching Dieminion and ChrisG isn't exactly the best assessment every Wednesday when Dieminion's sole intention is to get the upper lead and time out for his advantage like almost every game he plays.
It's not even the time outs. The general gameplay is just not interesting to watch. I've watched finals/G-finals sets for a few things and even in "the heat of the moment", there's just nothing that makes my blood pump.

laaame

It's not even the time outs. The general gameplay is just not interesting to watch. I've watched finals/G-finals sets for a few things and even in "the heat of the moment", there's just nothing that makes my blood pump.

I can understand why people are not entertained by the game so far because it seems like matches consist of applying safe pokes and fishing for boost combos. But with that said it has only been a little over a month and people are already claiming this game is dead. If I remember correctly 3rd strike, a game that is widely regarded as the greatest street fighter game, was not as well received the first couple months. I'm not saying this game will be 3rd strike but I honestly don't see anything broken in this game that can't be fixed with a patch.

I've cited videos that I find enlightening to myself and hopefully other would too.

This first match right here shows that this game is far from turtly, with the Lili player rushing his opponent nonstop. Link

This second video I have shows the full potential of the tag system. While 99% of matches won't have combos that long, it shows effective use of meter to secure the win which is what should be done in matches Link

Nyoro SF

Third Strike was released over 10 years ago in arcades. Times have changed. No more comparisons to sales and the tiny community that existed at that time, please please please.

laaame

Third Strike was released over 10 years ago in arcades. Times have changed. No more comparisons to sales and the tiny community that existed at that time, please please please.

I didn't mean sales, I was talking about gameplay but if you don't like the 3rd strike example then SFIV. People hated that game too when that first came out but now they seem to like it, or at least will tolerate it, unlike SFxT currently. I'm sure the next Capcom game will get hate for it too if they change things, my point is to wait and see how SfxT will turn out.

I didn't mean sales, I was talking about gameplay but if you don't like the 3rd strike example then SFIV. People hated that game too when that first came out but now they seem to like it, or at least will tolerate it, unlike SFxT currently. I'm sure the next Capcom game will get hate for it too if they change things, my point is to wait and see how SfxT will turn out.

Just about any new Capcom game gets hate if it isn't a direct copy of ST or MVC2.

It's pretty much the cycle of things.

Game comes out.

People hate it.

People play it.

People like it.

Game has its big tourney moment.

Game has hype.

New iteration comes out.

Lather, rinse, and repeat.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The game will pick up. Patches, new releases, etc, has made the majority of fighting gamers lazy. People want solutions immediately. Some things take time.

to be fair, i don't think any game is as interesting as to watch as mvc3 and ae currently.

but really, the past few months have been a bit stale. its been practically nothing but chris g and dieminion...
- norcal regionals: chris g 2nd
- powerup: dieminion 2nd, chris g 3rd
- and now civil war 4: chris g 1st, dieminion 3rd

personally i'm looking forward to more mike ross play, and we haven't really seen justin playing sfxt in any majors yet? i hope he makes it out to seasons beatings.

I actually feel like that regarding just about every fighter except Street Fighter and Smash bros. I love playing them, but really don't like watching high level matches much at all. That goes double for any juggle/air combo heavy games.

Sayah

Playing games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> watching games

And SFXTK is quite fun to play when the online isn't sucking.

Top Bottom