• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

I must be in the minority in finding SFxT much more fun to watch than SF. The excessively long combos of MvC3 are pretty boring to watch, too.

Biggest problem I've had with watching SFxT is that the casters seem to range from "moderately interested" to "could not give less of a fuck."

The worst part about SFxT is even when I win, I'm not having fun

It's too dumb to be Tekken and it's not smart enough to be Street Fighter

On a certain level, this game made me very sad. Probably won't touch another fighter until TTT2 comes out

Tizoc

I personally enjoy SFxT more than SSF4. Only SSF4 matches I might enjoy are Dan, Hakan and any character -6 plays as.

Silver_key

Neo Member
I must be in the minority in finding SFxT much more fun to watch than SF. The excessively long combos of MvC3 are pretty boring to watch, too.

Biggest problem I've had with watching SFxT is that the casters seem to range from "moderately interested" to "could not give less of a fuck."

That's why the commentators for Civil War's top 8 were great. They were interested in the game's mechanics as well as the game's lifecycle and the development of the players.

zlatko

Banned
I've decided to just ride this game as my fighter till Persona 4 Arena, then ride that to TTT2 AKA fighting game of the forever.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The problem with watching fighting games more sedate than Marvel is that it's not hype if you don't know what's going on.

There are PLENTY of people who think SFIV is boring to watch, and quite a few of them (I'm not saying ALL of them) betray that they don't actually know what's happening, so don't know why a skillful or tight fight is meaningful.

But SFIV is still close to 1 on 1 SF2 so it's familiar to a lot of people. It's easy for many to get hype about watching an SFIV match between good players.

Plus, SFIV was the "revival" game for Capcom, so we all probably watched it intently and figured out what was going on pretty fast.

Personally, I am getting more hype while watching SFxT the more I figure the game out and see why it's not SFIV. But like most games it's going to be boring if you don't have anything to look for in one of its matches. It can't help that the meta game's development seems to have been slowed down by bitching about the timer, people playing it like SFIV, not using gems, and not taking advantage of openings the way they probably should be.

I suspect this is another reason why some folks are unhappy with Evo being 2 on 2 only... it could have been a major turning point for the game if people arrived and really stepped it up. So we could see how it played "normally" i.e. with one player on each side as opposed to teams.

the sentence structure confuses me; so basically its dumber than both tekken and sf or are there some hidden connotations that i'm not getting?

sfxt is a wierd game to judge the level of its complexity. on the surface it looks like a very casual-oriented game, but when you really look at it its pretty complex. i don't think it does justice to compare the complexity levels to either tekken or sf. jibbo said something last nite on stream which i very much agree with, and thats the importance of management and decision making. health, meter, clock; there are so many decisions to be made in this game that in a sense to me it almost feels like a strategy game (and no i'm not referring to gems). for example in other games, it may be pretty standard to have your "bnb", but in this game you'll need a bigger repertoire to draw from if you want to succeed at a high level.

The worst part about SFxT is even when I win, I'm not having fun

On a certain level, this game made me very sad. Probably won't touch another fighter until TTT2 comes out

That's how I felt with mvc3 so I haven't bought any fighters but sf3 third strike online edition because there was a half price on the game so I payed 600MS for it instead of 1200.

SUPARSTARX

I got the arcadia mook today. They have chain combo values for the normals. There's a lot of chain pressure you can build up even though there's no traditional chainable jabs and shorts for a lot of characters.

Shit just got real.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
What does this mean? It sounds like you're saying it's not "smart" enough to be either game.

As it's a Capcom game, for me the comparison lies between SF4 and MvC3, in which case it settles happily between the two in terms of being "dumb". It retains a bit of the flash and combo potential from Marvel, while keeping the overall system relatively grounded (but not so much as SF4). It definitely takes itself less seriously than both games, which I think is where most of the fun is to be had.

Couldn't tell you about its long-lasting professional/competitive appeal, but then again I couldn't really care less, as (like people have said) there are already a lot of great fighting games that people will continue to play/watch. SFxT might be considered a fad by some, but that doesn't mean it won't be enjoyed by a lot of people out there for a while to come.

Sayah

Have these been already posted?
mEidG

6uOmo

blTVP

laaame

Alisa's 2nd alt though looks pretty good. I can't say the same for Lars' ....

Overall the costumes are a mixed bag, with great ones like King's and Bryan's #2 and bad ones like Rolento's #2 and Sagat's #2 (WTF is that).

Ever since I got to B rank I get kicked out of like 80% of the lobbies I join before even getting to play a match.

I'm not even B+..wish I just stayed at C :(

AAK

Interesting. I`m the complete opposite, I only enjoy playing her in SSF4. I feel I really get rewarded by playing gimmicky and creative with her. But in xT she seems way too brainless IMO.

LakeEarth

what can i do against heihachis counter attack?
it seems to hit high and low attacks - so fucking broken online.

Throw, and/or figure out the timing to punish its recovery.

I play King, and I had a session with a Heihachi that kept doing his overhead string, and on block he would immediately went to counter because he knew he was negative and people usually press a button after that. So I switched to his swinging throw. WEEEEEEE 250 damage!

Something odd I discovered due to the guide. Jin's regular throw does more damage than Hugo's regular throw (150 vs 140). I wonder why his throw does so much damage.

laaame

what can i do against heihachis counter attack?
it seems to hit high and low attacks - so fucking broken online.

As already mentioned you could throw. Another thing you could do is a jump-in or any air based attack because his counter won't work if you are off the ground.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I cant donwload the last batch of colors. I was able to download the first with my US PSN account but now i get a 'you cant download this content' message.
:/

The problem with watching fighting games more sedate than Marvel is that it's not hype if you don't know what's going on.

There are PLENTY of people who think SFIV is boring to watch, and quite a few of them (I'm not saying ALL of them) betray that they don't actually know what's happening, so don't know why a skillful or tight fight is meaningful.

But SFIV is still close to 1 on 1 SF2 so it's familiar to a lot of people. It's easy for many to get hype about watching an SFIV match between good players.

Plus, SFIV was the "revival" game for Capcom, so we all probably watched it intently and figured out what was going on pretty fast.

Personally, I am getting more hype while watching SFxT the more I figure the game out and see why it's not SFIV. But like most games it's going to be boring if you don't have anything to look for in one of its matches. It can't help that the meta game's development seems to have been slowed down by bitching about the timer, people playing it like SFIV, not using gems, and not taking advantage of openings the way they probably should be.

I suspect this is another reason why some folks are unhappy with Evo being 2 on 2 only... it could have been a major turning point for the game if people arrived and really stepped it up. So we could see how it played "normally" i.e. with one player on each side as opposed to teams.
It's not like SFxT is so far removed from SFIV that people can't get it.

I feel you on the gems, though. The game might be more interesting to watch if that came to be. Capcom dug its own grave on that one though.

Also, I'm against the idea that someone has to know what's going on to be excited. Case in point: After I watched the Clockwork vs. Neo moneymatch, I told my wife I wanted her to see it. She had never played a Marvel game at this point, ever. Her socks were knocked off though, and she was screaming and hyping like anyone in that crowd would be. Crazy shit is crazy shit, and she knew this was fantastic to watch just by knowing that there are two sides with life bars. She watched the whole thing without a groan.

laaame

Speaking of Gems, Southtown Arcade had a 1v1 gem enabled tournament. It turned out pretty well.

Match timeout count:
1(not including Pandora time outs)

Sayah

Still it's a start, better then all matchs being a timeout like usual.

Also it was a local so there's not going to be that many people. I'm not denying that people don't like this game but maybe if there were less timeouts then they might.

I still don't really understand why a game's reception has to be tied with how a small community of spectators are judging it, some of which don't even know what's going on in the matches. Not every game has to create hyped matches with flashy, frantic, out there action to excite people and give eyegasms. I'd prefer it as the technical game it is right now rather than a simple one. I'd prefer the significant amount of tension it creates and a lot of this tension also comes from time out matches because people are baiting each other and waiting and anticipating and punishing each others' moves and actions. That creates a better experience for the players. Of course, I'm also not denying that time out matches can't be boring for the players as well or that they can't be burdensome or annoying. They can be but most matches from my experience end up timing out because of the aforementioned reasons.

Developers shouldn't make games with the satisfaction of watchers as some sort of priority. If people want to hate on the game, then they should hate on it for the right reasons (bad online and DLC) and not because "it's boring to watch."

/myopinion

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Still it's a start, better then all matchs being a timeout like usual.

Also it was a local so there's not going to be that many people. I'm not denying that people don't like this game but maybe if there were less timeouts then they might.

Just saying that it's impossible to discern anything of worth from a 5-man tournament.

laaame

Just saying that it's impossible to discern anything of worth from a 5-man tournament.

It's definitely true that in a major tournament with players of all skill levels, there will be way more timeouts. But the 5 man tourney was more then enough to show that skilled players with optimized combos and damage boost gems are all that will be needed to get matches done. The point is that I don't see anything wrong with continuing these experimental tourneys considering they had success once.

I still don't really understand why a game's reception has to be tied with how a small community of spectators are judging it, some of which don't even know what's going on in the matches. Not every game has to create hyped matches with flashy, frantic, out there action to excite people and give eyegasms. I'd prefer it as the technical game it is right now rather than a simple one. I'd prefer the significant amount of tension it creates and a lot of this tension also comes from time out matches because people are baiting each other and waiting and anticipating and punishing each others' moves and actions. That creates a better experience for the players. Of course, I'm also not denying that time out matches can't be boring for the players as well or that they can't be burdensome or annoying. They can be but most matches from my experience end up timing out because of the aforementioned reasons.

Developers shouldn't make games with the satisfaction of watchers as some sort of priority. If people want to hate on the game, then they should hate on it for the right reasons (bad online and DLC) and not because "it's boring to watch."

/myopinion
Don't know if this is directed at me but it's undeniable that this game has a bad rep for many reasons, but the "competitive scene" reason is the slower pace. Marvel has the "hype" factor going for it, SF4 has prestige, but for some of the community they know it as "sleep fighter x timeout". For me, I could care less if other people are liking the game or not because I play for fun. But I still want to know that there is a community of players still playing and bringing out new content. When I was playing Blazblue, I could barely find a decent bnb combo video for my character(I was using a low tier but still), so having an active community finding new stuff and growing as players is important for me to help improve my game.

Sayah

I was speaking more generally of all the complaining about it being boring to watch. I'm not really seeing, however, how having a vibrant community for a game is dependent on having fun matches to spectate. Either can exist without the other.

For instance, some people think Tekken 6 is boring to watch, mostly because they don't know what's going on in the match but the game has enough youtube tutorials, videos and the like and still has tons of players playing online.

It's not like SFxT is so far removed from SFIV that people can't get it.
i think this is actually part of the problem; people might try to watch it like sf4 and misunderstand it. you wouldn't play sfxt like sf4, so why would you watch sfxt like you would sf4?

i do agree that a person doesn't have to understand the game to enjoy it. marvel does that best imo. its fast paced, the graphics are like crack, and the commentators always get hype. someone made a point about the commentators for sfxt so far being boring, and i agree that has an effect on it. even watching what is normally an exciting game like mvc3 on mute isn't as exciting as watching it with yipes and chris matrix commentating.

one job of the commentator could be said to help make the match easier to understand for those that don't really know the game well. the example of a match you used was the neo vs clockwork match, and i think justin was pretty hillarious because he bantered about things not-relating to the match which also helps make it entertaining to watch both for those that do understand and those that don't. so there are many things a commentator can do to pique the interest of those that don't necessarily know the game.

ultradavid has expressed numerous times his dislike for the game, so i don't think he should be really forced to commentate the game. jibbo was dropping a lot of knowledge on the game during civil war which i thought was pretty good. if i had to nominate someone to be the unofficial commentator for sfxt though, i would have to say tasty steve. i hope he still plays the game or at least has interest in it.

SUPARSTARX

This game has a slightly deeper curve of strategy to it. You gave to juggle keeping your opponent still and let them know through actions that they can't roll or attempt scrubby reversals. Then you lay the law on them through increments of 45% to 60% combos.

SUPARSTARX

Rather watch it 1v1 with gems after people put some thought into using gems and setting up their teams for big damage and mind fuckery. I wished Tekken characters had more juggle potential limits.

SUPARSTARX

More tournaments need gems and 1v1 just ban assist gems.

Yeah, that's the most logical thing. I mean they put them in there for learning. I think they serve their purpose. If they allow you to filter out players using them online then it would be fine and stop all the b.s. gem accusations. But since so many people only have online to use as practice it's inevitable.

Shouldn't even be a question for locals. Boost gems only.

Top Bottom