• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

SUPARSTARX

It's not even close to being a safe jump. You can backdash before they even get a chance to option select.

Well, keeping pressure is the main thing here IMO rather than letting people slip away and waste time. It's still good information. It should be different for other characters. Maybe better results or not.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Well, keeping pressure is the main thing here IMO rather than letting people slip away and waste time. It's still good information. It should be different for other characters. Maybe better results or not.

No, you don't maintain pressure at all since they can backdash and there's nothing most characters are gonna be able to do about it. The idea here is that on knockdown, regardless if they forward roll or stay put, you follow them and get a 100% chance to maintain pressure. But since the jump-in isn't going to be meaty enough, backdash turns that 100% into 0%, and it doesn't even look like it ends in a neutral situation. It looks like the aggressor ends at negative frames.

Looks pretty useless, except maybe for select characters/spacing situations. And if it's some kind of near-corner situation or something, you better be doing it against a character that doesn't have anti-airs. In the Rufus/Ryu example in that video, it looks like Rufus recovers quickly enough to even stick out a cr.mp anti-air.

SUPARSTARX

No, you don't maintain pressure at all since they can backdash and there's nothing most characters are gonna be able to do about it. The idea here is that on knockdown, regardless if they forward roll or stay put, you follow them and get a 100% chance to maintain pressure. But since the jump-in isn't going to be meaty enough, backdash turns that 100% into 0%, and it doesn't even look like it ends in a neutral situation. It looks like the aggressor ends at negative frames.

Looks pretty useless, except maybe for select characters/spacing situations. And if it's some kind of near-corner situation or something, you better be doing it against a character that doesn't have anti-airs. In the Rufus/Ryu example in that video, it looks like Rufus recovers quickly enough to even stick out a cr.mp anti-air.

There are meaty jump setups in the game. I just found two psuedo ones with Law where I can safe jump DP and late tech.

You seem intent on invalidating any sort of new ideas that can be brought into this game.

This is still using the SF4 engine, so even back dashes can be beaten when you find the right setups in here. It's just not easy to pick off because option selects and stuff work a little differently here.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
There are meaty jump setups in the game. I just found two psuedo ones with Law where I can safe jump DP and late tech.

There are. The setup in question isn't one of them.

This is still using the SF4 engine, so even back dashes can be beaten when you find the right setups in here. It's just not easy to pick off because option selects and stuff work a little differently here.

You're right. But the jump-in in this setup isn't meaty enough for option selects to work.

I'm talking about the superjump option select in that video. I'm not talking about any other setups.

LakeEarth

Anyone else know any good ABC chains that end in a safe C? I'm spoiled with Kazuya's s.fp, which both pushes your opponent back and isn't too negative on block. Rufus c.fp does a lot of pushback, but recovers so long that it can be punished. King's s.hk is way safer than s.fp (Which is punishable on hit for some blasted reason) but you can't ex cancel the kick for konvict kick shinanigans.

SUPARSTARX

Anyone else know any good ABC chains that end in a safe C? I'm spoiled with Kazuya's s.fp, which both pushes your opponent back and isn't too negative on block. Rufus c.fp does a lot of pushback, but recovers so long that it can be punished. King's s.hk is way safer than s.fp (Which is punishable on hit for some blasted reason) but you can't ex cancel the kick for konvict kick shinanigans.

A lot of C's aren't safe, but there are some discrepancies like distance that are out of reach of normals. But that doesn't make them safe against specials and supers though. The Japanese mook has values for chains on block. A lot of them range around -9 to up to -21 on block for fierce and roundhouses.

Tizoc

Well about friggin' time they let you make more than 2 gem setups.
Also, what's up with some Gems not equipp-able on Tekken characters?
...and they JUST NOW provide a Gem that makes inputs Super Easy but give you a 5% drop in attack power? I mean REALLY?

LakeEarth

A lot of C's aren't safe, but there are some discrepancies like distance that are out of reach of normals. But that doesn't make them safe against specials and supers though. The Japanese mook has values for chains on block. A lot of them range around -9 to up to -21 on block for fierce and roundhouses.

The only thing i've seen punish Kazuya's s.fp was a standing fierce from Rolento, and even then the fierce wasn't at max distance. I should probably test out Julia and Ken's supers as they are great for punishing anything -2 or worse. SRKs clean whiff though.

Well about friggin' time they let you make more than 2 gem setups.
Also, what's up with some Gems not equipp-able on Tekken characters?
...and they JUST NOW provide a Gem that makes inputs Super Easy but give you a 5% drop in attack power? I mean REALLY?
I tried playing with Super Easy Input for the hell of it and it was a complete pain in the ass. Kept firing shit off unintentionally. It was especially bad with Vega's claw and mask removal special moves.

Super Easy Input also disables Unique Attacks, right?

Sigmaah

I really do love this game, but holy shit, Ryu and Ken should not be able to spam the fuck out of SRK to counter, my god it is so OP, and Ryu shouldn't be able to special cancel out of cr.HK, FUCK THAT BULLSHIT. also, Ryu and Ken do over 450 damage off of one switch cancel with barely any effort, why is my question...

The only thing i've seen punish Kazuya's s.fp was a standing fierce from Rolento, and even then the fierce wasn't at max distance. I should probably test out Julia and Ken's supers as they are great for punishing anything -2 or worse. SRKs clean whiff though.

I played some casuals last night and a vega player that was able to punish Kazuya's s.fp chain attack with either a crouching jab or strong. I think the player mentioned that he may have needed to walk forward a little bit to get the punish since that move pushes the opponent away.

what for exactly? hit-confirming launcher? there are multiple other options for various characters:
-safe tekken string that can lead into hit-confirmed launcher
-safe bc poke that can lead into hit-confirmed launcher
-easy to link lights or mediums that can lead into hit-confirmed launcher.

Tobe

just saw the arturo video about autoblock gem, well capcom i dont know why would you do that. just fuck this game.

What does this mean? It sounds like you're saying it's not "smart" enough to be either game.

Sorry for not expanding. What I meant was it doesn't have the footsie game of SF4 with the absurd frame advantage of standing jabs, weak throws and strange hitboxes.

On the other hand, you can sort of see the Tekken influence is the bounding aspect you get with OTGs which isn't integrated very well nor all that customizable. This can be attributed to the moveset still being very Capcom-esque making it all rather pedestrian.

This is just my opinion, but the team didn't captitalize enough on the good aspects of the the two franchises that influenced this venture.

I bought the CE, the guide and a stick; the last thing I wanted to do was not like the game. I'll leave it at that since this probably counts as thread shitting at this point.

Gems really should have boiled down to a "style" select ala alpha 3. Instead of having shittons of gems and assist shit, just have Power, Speed, and Defense "modes" and have an in game mechanic to pop off a power once per round or something.

Problem is, you can't monetize that.

Tizoc

Gems really should have boiled down to a "style" select ala alpha 3. Instead of having shittons of gems and assist shit, just have Power, Speed, and Defense "modes" and have an in game mechanic to pop off a power once per round or something.

Problem is, you can't monetize that.

I agree with some of these points. There are just too many activation prerequests to even bother with.
When I look at the Gem system I am reminded of Zero 3's World Tour mode. Wherein you can 'customize' your character by playing in that mode.
Create-a-groove is an interesting idea, I don't like how SFxT does it for the most part.

@KO- I believe so yes since it's imply direction+button.
I personally don't mind this option being in fighting games but...at the cost of losing speed, defense or attack?

Riposte

Considering they wanted to make mirror matches fun, maybe it should have been a selection which gives you new properties to moves and new moves. (e.g. make a move safe on block, add armor to another move). I'm thinking Arcana though.

Tizoc

Considering they wanted to make mirror matches fun, maybe it should have been a selection which gives you new properties to moves and new moves. (e.g. make a move safe on block, add armor to another move). I'm thinking Arcana though.

That doesn't sound too bad.
An idea for a Custom groove if a game had a Create-a-groove system is to focus on offense, but in turn have some of your defense (properties) affected, like say you get not grey health to recover or you have 10% less defense, etc.

Card Boy

Banned
Any word of a balace patch? Some of those Tekken characters are OP as shit. All I see online is Kazuya, Nina, Hwoarang and Asuka players.

You had me curious, so I looked it up. (here if anyone else wants to see) That's crazy stupid haha. I already hated online before, no way I'd bother with it now.
i agree that its stupid, but i don't necessarily agree that its op. the fact that it does cost money irks me though.

a couple of things to keep in mind with art's rant:
- his opponent didn't seem that bad and at one point in the video art even acknowledges that they aren't.
- art is using no gems. of course no gems vs gems is going to be at disadvtange, autoblock or not. the matches were extremely close despite this and art may have won if he used some gems, any gems at all.
- afaik, cammy vs dhalsim matchup is in cammy's favour, so its hard to tell how much is the player skill level, how much is the matchup, and how much is the gems.
- he also admits to his heihachi being a new character for him, so had he used a more familiar character he might've won more easily.
- one specific thing that art says is about raw tags and how the opponent just doesn't care. well, auto-block doesn't save you from the recovery of a raw tag and if you fail to punish that recovery, thats on you not the gems.

SUPARSTARX

That's abuse of the gems intentions. I have used it online to learn mix ups for a while against characters I'm not familiar with, but it was with the one stock gem. This one taking way less is better for that but lol yeah. That video speaks for itself. People like that just want to run around and farm points. They don't really care.

Bizazedo

What's really dumb is a fighting game, in terms of casuals anyways, seems to live and die on the online. If the online is horrendous, it's hard to pick up steam or bring people in if you go "yeah, the online sucks".

If this makes people not want to play online...

oi.

What's really dumb is a fighting game, in terms of casuals anyways, seems to live and die on the online. If the online is horrendous, it's hard to pick up steam or bring people in if you go "yeah, the online sucks".

If this makes people not want to play online...

oi.

They probably already lost all the casuals thanks to the sound online, I'm sure not everyone came back after it was patched.

Degen

That's abuse of the gems intentions. I have used it online to learn mix ups for a while against characters I'm not familiar with, but it was with the one stock gem. This one taking way less is better for that but lol yeah. That video speaks for itself. People like that just want to run around and farm points. They don't really care.
I can't fault players for using the best gem combinations possible. Nothing wrong with playing to win. As someone who spent a lot of time tweaking character stats in Soulcalibur 4, that's what I originally planned to do in this game myself. The problem is that a gem combination on this level is universally possible online in the first place. There's no escape, so to speak. It's like UMvC3's Heroes & Heralds mode is the only mode.

Don't you think the developers considered what would happen if non-casual players learned strategies with "casual player" gems? I think that video is a pretty accurate example of that particular gem's intention, and I definitely don't like it.

ShinAmano

So is there a gallery out there of good color edits and or how to replicate?

I mean my Navi Cammy is nice and all but I want to see other peoples creations.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm very frustrated with this game. I consider myself a tad above average in Street Fighter, but I'm dumpster tier in this. I got upto 580BP and down now im 100 all because of Kazuya players. That L, M, H crossover crap ruins it, not to mention the gems and auto-combo. Also what's the deal with 'same' skill level matchmaking me with 1500 players?

I think Capcom sucks at crossover fighters and MK Vs DC Universe is a better game. Yeah I went there.

SUPARSTARX

I'm very frustrated with this game. I consider myself a tad above average in Street Fighter, but I'm dumpster tier in this. I got upto 580BP and down now im 100 all because of Kazuya players. That L, M, H crossover crap ruins it, not to mention the gems and auto-combo. Also what's the deal with 'same' skill level matchmaking me with 1500 players?

I think Capcom sucks at crossover fighters and MK Vs DC Universe is a better game. Yeah I went there.

Kazuya got good mix ups. One of the best Tekken chars in this game IMO.

And I think the match making pairs people up by win streaks / loss streaks along with a range of BP.

anyone here main jin and/or raven? gonna put my main team (guile/vega) on the shelf to learn some tekken characters. anyone have tips on bnbs, anti airs, strats?

Sayah

I don't think Guile should be considered one of the worst characters in the game. He's up there with the shotos.

Well, I haven't played this game for weeks and the autoblock gem stuff makes me want to not go back. :/

sleepykyo

I don't think Guile should be considered one of the worst characters in the game. He's up there with the shotos.

Well, I haven't played this game for weeks and the autoblock gem stuff makes me want to not go back. :/

I'd go so far as to put him only slightly below the shotos. Historically the only thing that holds Guile back is his damage output and in SF4 he was weak against the wake up game. Now he can run his amazing zoning game on a longer stage, where everyone walks slower, and jumps have more start up frames. The roll and alpha counter give him escape options. Chain combos makes his crouching mk more amazing than ever.

In short, he has all or strengths from the past games, got some new buffs and most of his weaknesses have been removed or massively mitigated.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I had a dream (nightmare) last night where I was playing money matches against all the big names and losing horribly. Mike Ross was constantly over my shoulder shouting at me - trying to coach and smack talk at the same time. I would often catch Link in the corner of my eye, just staring at me silently from somewhere in the room.

The game was messed up too. It was definitely supposed to be SFxT, but it was constantly in Scramble mode and looked like a Smash Bros. clone. Oh god, it was dreadful.

And the worst thing about it all? Gootecks wasn't there.

Hold me, GAF :(

Top Bottom