• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strong (not sexualised) female characters in this generation?

Chell? From my experience with Portal, she isn't even a character I don't know it that changed in Portal 2.

I agree with Bonnie, Faith and Lighting.

nier_kaine.jpg

Definitely a strong, not sexualised person. Not sure if she counts for the female part though.

Valnen

vodka-bull said:
Definitely a strong, not sexualised person. Not sure if she counts for the female part though.
Well, I've never played the game, but if I what I remember reading is right then she still counts as female since it's a curse that caused it?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
moonspeak said:
Kinda want to say Chie from Persona 4

xotRi.jpg

through out the entire game she never really struck me as 'sexualized' but she is a pretty strong character. i mean she's got the tomboy thing going for her but yeah.
This is probably the only one that I can agree from this thread.
Boney said:
This is the one though, she even has to sexy up to gather intel for 3 years

kaze_2.jpg

This also bugs me, but it's probably because gamers are so used to overly sexualised characters that don't really have any initiative. So they get confused.
Also this.

Valnen said:
Well, I've never played the game, but if I what I remember reading is right then she still counts as female since it's a curse that caused it?
As far as I remember Kainè actually has never been called a hermaphrodite in the game. All we get to know about her is that she's sick and cursed or whatever. She's treated bad by townpeople when she was a kid in school, also because of her obvious sickness.

vodka-bull said:
As far as I remember Kainè actually has never been called a hermaphrodite in the game. All we get to know about her is that she's sick and cursed or whatever. She's treated bad by townpeople when she was a kid in school, also because of her obvious sickness.

I believe it was confirmed by the developers in Grimoire Nier that she is a
hermaphrodite

vodka-bull said:

It's actually in one of the endings I think, so it's not just a wiki entry it's a genuine part of the game.

ZPF3n.jpg

Lynne from Ghost Trick is a tough cookie.
She winds up dead on multiple occasions
, but that doesn't stop her from saving lives, sticking up for her childhood hero, and being outwardly optimistic and confident.

flyover

My pick's got to be Isara from Valkyria Chronicles. She wasn't strong in the kicking ass sense. She was determined, kind, and wiser than her years. Great character.

ki4hQ.png

I also like Uncharted's Elena and Heavenly Sword's Nariko.

Tylahedras said:
tumblr_lo9yolx8fR1qisbe6o1_400.jpg

She is strong but...
it's a trap.
So is she still sexualized if you're cock blocked by her back story?
literally?

Really I just want an excuse to mention her since I think she's one of the better "strong female" characters this gen, other issues aside.
What game is this?

M3d10n

jim-jam bongs said:
The point I'm making here is that, if you take the above dynamic at face value, that fear which men have coupled with our innate tendency towards trying to please women we find appealing can be easily exploited by a smart woman who isn't afraid to be sexy.
This is why things will never be 100% sexually-neutral, unless genetic modification or drugs are involved. Because that's how male humans work: they will unconsciously behave and react differently towards someone that attracts them sexually, even if they have no real intentions of actually sleeping with said person.

plufim

Some people really need to learn the difference between sexualised and attractive.

Chell is in no way sexualised, claiming as such is just ridiculous.

flyover said:
My pick's got to be Isara from Valkyria Chronicles. She wasn't strong in the kicking ass sense. She was determined, kind, and wiser than her years. Great character.

Great pick. Out of the entire game's cast, I thought her character was the most endearing and certainly one of the most respectable,
so it was only natural (right?) that I teared up a bit when she died. I even had the fact spoiled for me beforehand, but it was still such a shocker.

Desi

The Boss: nuh uh, I learned from this thread that if I jerked off before she even jumped in the sneakingsuit and showed off that creepy c-section she is disqualified!!

did anyone find out what this thread is about yet? are we looking for autonomy here?

Luigiv

kokujin said:
Stop, before this thread takes a turn for the worst.
Don't worry, ilikefeet has already been banned... twice. I assume everyone else can take my joke with good humour and not turn this thread creepy.

Sophia

I can't help but think, reading this thread, that some of you have confused fashionable with sexualized.

I'd submit most of the Persona 3/4 cast for strong female characters.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jeff Chen said:

Yeah, this one is unique, but not a strong character. Refreshing design though. Then again that whole game is refreshing design...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My real choices would have to be...

6DloJ.jpg

Snarky, independent, and initially self-centered but grows as the game goes on.

SinnohHaruhiParody01.jpg

Best champion ever, and she's a woman. Oh yeah.

bhlaab

SolidSnakex said:
That's who Lara was in previous games, but how many people gave the developers credit for that? I remember people laughing at the idea of Lara being a strong female character in previous threads.

There are two definitions of a "strong" character.

One is literal-- Lara Croft circa Tomb Raider 1 has strength emotionally and physically. She is defiant, and doesn't take no for an answer. She can do badass jumpflips and rides a motorcycle and wears sunglasses while shooting guns.

The other is conceptual-- Lara Croft's characterization is not strong. She has little to no motivation for her actions or her personality. She is a cardboard display propped up in the window of The Male Gaze Boutique. She is a cliche. She is an easy, thoughtless caricature of one breed of the so-called "perfect woman". She exists to be looked at and observed, by men specifically, and nothing more.

So that's old Lara. New Lara is just a different cliche with the literal strength part removed for good measure and a heaping helping of rape imagery and BDSM sexualized masochism added in its place.

RustyNails said:
Pretty much any female in strong lead from Valve's games: Alyx, Zoey, Rochelle, Chell

Alyx is the Nerd Dream Girl and I'm not at all happy about the fact that Half Life is now about being her virtual boyfriend.

Why am I not surprised that this character hasn't gotten a mention yet?

KGOew.jpg

Of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
Even in the ending where she remains in complete denial, she's struggled to get to that point. Her struggle isn't an epic war against evil aliens or anything like that, its rather ordinary nature is part of what makes her interesting. The many possibilities created by the psych system make her genuinely multifaceted, while the ghost images establish much of her past, giving the player a solid foundation.

bhlaab

Persona7 said:
Let's post characters without saying what game they are from to confuse the fuck out of people.

Let's post girls with body-hugging clothes standing with their hips cocked and pushing either their breasts or vaginas (or, magically, both) forward and then write underneath it "well technically shes a 3000 year old anime golem spirit so thats pretty not sexualized"

KSolS.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fimbulvetr said:
Why am I not surprised that this character hasn't gotten a mention yet?

KGOew.jpg

Of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
Even in the ending where she remains in complete denial, she's struggled to get to that point. Her struggle isn't an epic war against evil aliens or anything like that, its rather ordinary nature is part of what makes her interesting. The many possibilities created by the psych system make her genuinely multifaceted, while the ghost images establish much of her past, giving the player a solid foundation.

Was gonna but she is not a strong character. She has strong characterization, but she's pretty weak.

Boney

Banned
Kiiji said:
You realize that TP shows Zelda surrendering her entire kingdom to Zant in order to save her own life, right? She's also kept as a prisoner for the majority of the game. Not to mention that many of the characters in the game (especially Midna, and Zelda herself included IIRC) constantly remind you that she is completely detached from the average citizen and can't understand suffering (especially the Twili's). The only heroic things she does are at the very end of the game.
I think giving her life for midna is a pretty important detail you're missing.

Boney

Banned
Octorockin' said:
ZPF3n.jpg

Lynne from Ghost Trick is a tough cookie.
She winds up dead on multiple occasions
, but that doesn't stop her from saving lives, sticking up for her childhood hero, and being outwardly optimistic and confident.
Boney said:

Hansel

Banned
av1Hu.jpg

Leanne had a lot of up-skirts, but I don't think it really counts as sexualized since all the characters were doing flips and stuff.
Also without the panty-shots taken into consideration her attire was pretty modest.

Ledsen

charsace said:
And in the game her animations look real and practical. She doesn't strut around, crossing up her legs and swaying her hips, while getting shot at. She doesn't do some stupid look cartwheel are something that the devs consider feminine when doing something acrobatic. She's strong just like the men are and in hand to hand situations in gears her animations are just as physical. When she gores someone with the retro lancer she picks them up and lets them slide down the blade of the gun just like the men do. Her character also talks shit when you get a kill.

The only difference is that between Anya and most of the other Gears characters is that she's a woman. That's it. She isn't made to look weaker than the male characters or like she's concerned with how good she looks moving around during the battle.
That's exactly the problem. She's not portrayed as a woman, she's a man with tits.

Blizzard

Banned
Utako said:
Strong and sexy are dichotomous, according to the OP.
OP said:
I'm talking huge boobs, constant ass-shots, being completly stupid and helpless in a world full of manly man heroes.
Is that your definition of "sexy"? :p "Sexy" and "sexualized" are two different things.

It does seem kind of funny that people are posting female characters with blatant stylized underwear as non-sexualized characters.

Kreia from Knights of the Old republic might be strong, I'm not sure. I do like Faith as people mentioned.

Ledsen said:
That's exactly the problem. She's not portrayed as a woman, she's a man with tits.
...what? How would they portray her as a woman? Does a woman have to act differently than a man in that situation?

Top Bottom